• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just off the Dream, ch...ch...ch....changes!

rhinodadz

Universal Exports - Q Branch
I'm not going to say "back to normal" because I don't think that what we considered "normal" in Feb 2020 is ever completely coming back.

That's said, we were on the 4/1 sailing of the Dream (23rd DCL cruise overall and 4th since the restart) on which many things changed back to what we were used to. According to a couple different crew members the ship sailed with 2,500 it so passengers.

Everything is back to full self-service: soda/coffee, ice cream, Cabanas, Cookies BBQ on Castaway. In Cabanas they were back to each pod having a different offering with pretty much the full range of options they previously had.

Now that the testing at Port Canaveral is antigen, results are received much quicker. We got ours in 13 minutes compared to 40 on December. The rest of the embarkation process was smooth. We arrived at our PAT of 10:15 and were in the waiting area of the terminal at 10:50. Was able to connect to the ship wifi and snag a couple additional adult beverage tastings in the app. Boarding began at 11:30. There's no longer the "welcome aboard" show in the atrium to slow down the boarding process.

The virtual muster drill continues and is probably the best improvement to come out of the pandemic. I do t see that going away.

On this sailing I'd say we had the best service overall of any of our cruises. The crew is unfailingly friendly and willing to accommodate. Our dining team and stateroom host went above and beyond to create a memorable experience! The crew indicated they'd be able to go maskless in a couple weeks.

There were definitely a ton more activities listed in the Navigator each day, and more live music in the adult areas. Still doing the Disney Ever After fireworks, perhaps Pirates will return one day. Popcorn is back at Preludes by the Walt Disney Tbeater, but not at the Buena Vista Theater. Masks are no longer required in the theaters.

The nursery wasn't open, can't speak to the operation of the kids' clubs.

Food was consistently good from the dining rooms to Cabanas to Palo. Palo brunch has not yet returned to the buffet format. Unfortunately, they have resumed the practice of seating unrelated parties together at dinner. We (travelling as a couple) were seated with another coue at dinner. Ugh.

Had one glitch with our stateroom. After lunch we went to the room, got our keys and unpacked (bags were already there). Went to get a drink and the bartender said we were in a different room. Checked with guest services and after about 10 minutes they figured out that there was a maintenance issue in the room we were originally assigned so they moved us. Unfortunately we were never notified. They gave us new keys and offered to have housekeeping move our stuff. We just moved ourselves, we didn't have that much stuff and it only took a few minutes. They did send a nice apology note and gift to the room later which seemed an appropriate response.

While the Covid protocols on our previous cruises since the restart didn't detract all that much from our enjoyment, it was great to be on the ship and have it feel more like it "used to be".

As a bonus, we got to see a SpaceX launch shortly after boarding!SpaceX 04-01-22.jpg

Thank you for the update! We sail on Monday so we're hanging on to every bit of news. This annoys me badly though:

The crew indicated they'd be able to go maskless in a couple weeks.

I also wonder why PC has switched to antigen but Miami is still PCR.

Thanks for so much info. I will make a note to request a private table in the future. This upcoming cruise we are linked to family.

Thanks for the update. I emailed yesterday to request a private table for my parents and myself - and let them know I much prefer private tables. That is the one advantage the lines with select/my time dining have if you select that option - it’s private tables by default.

Thanks for the update. I emailed yesterday to request a private table for my parents and myself - and let them know I much prefer private tables. That is the one advantage the lines with select/my time dining have if you select that option - it’s private tables by default.
Do we know what the default party size is for this? I assume I'm safe with a party of 8?

Just wanted to confirm--there are no longer any paper Personal Navigators provided? Is the only option checking on your smart phone? I feel that the grid like format of the Naigators is so much easier to use. No option to request a paper copy?

Just wanted to confirm--there are no longer any paper Personal Navigators provided? Is the only option checking on your smart phone? I feel that the grid like format of the Naigators is so much easier to use. No option to request a paper copy?
Paper navigators were phased out for "green" purposes, not COVID purposes. I don't expect they'll ever be back. I believe you can see the daily itinerary on your stateroom TV if that's any easier for you than the phone.

I was on the 3/28 Dream cruise and was starting to see these changes implemented, but jusssssst missed the full service buffets apparently. I did see them actually pulling up the physical distancing markers on our cruise so figured things were moving that way. They did seat the full theater for shows, but still had to wear a mask.

Definitely tons of entertainment on the ship (musicians, performers, etc.) PLENTY to do throughout the entire day.

Also I know people have had a lot of complaints about the Navigator app but it worked flawlessly for us. Granted we weren't doing any texting (it was just me and my wife) but used it a lot for daily activities, notifications, etc and never had any glitches. I personally don't mind the no paper menus and actually like the QR codes bc it is less clutter on the table.

All-in-all it was a fantastic cruise!

Also I know people have had a lot of complaints about the Navigator app but it worked flawlessly for us. Granted we weren't doing any texting (it was just me and my wife) but used it a lot for daily activities, notifications, etc and never had any glitches. I personally don't mind the no paper menus and actually like the QR codes bc it is less clutter on the table.
I don't know why, but I love the Navigator app and hate the QR menu. Thankfully, (as far as I know?) you can still get paper menus.

Everything is back to full self-service: soda/coffee, ice cream, Cabanas, Cookies BBQ on Castaway. In Cabanas they were back to each pod having a different offering with pretty much the full range of options they previously had.

Did you happen to see the late night buffet (small) near the bar area had returned?

I'm not going to say "back to normal" because I don't think that what we considered "normal" in Feb 2020 is ever completely coming back.

That's said, we were on the 4/1 sailing of the Dream (23rd DCL cruise overall and 4th since the restart) on which many things changed back to what we were used to. According to a couple different crew members the ship sailed with 2,500 it so passengers.

Now that the testing at Port Canaveral is antigen, results are received much quicker. We got ours in 13 minutes compared to 40 on December. The rest of the embarkation process was smooth. We arrived at our PAT of 10:15 and were in the waiting area of the terminal at 10:50. Was able to connect to the ship wifi and snag a couple additional adult beverage tastings in the app. Boarding began at 11:30. There's no longer the "welcome aboard" show in the atrium to slow down the boarding process.

The virtual muster drill continues and is probably the best improvement to come out of the pandemic. I do t see that going away.

On this sailing I'd say we had the best service overall of any of our cruises. The crew is unfailingly friendly and willing to accommodate. Our dining team and stateroom host went above and beyond to create a memorable experience! The crew indicated they'd be able to go maskless in a couple weeks.

There were definitely a ton more activities listed in the Navigator each day, and more live music in the adult areas. Still doing the Disney Ever After fireworks, perhaps Pirates will return one day. Popcorn is back at Preludes by the Walt Disney Tbeater, but not at the Buena Vista Theater. Masks are no longer required in the theaters.

Food was consistently good from the dining rooms to Cabanas to Palo. Palo brunch has not yet returned to the buffet format. Unfortunately, they have resumed the practice of seating unrelated parties together at dinner. We (travelling as a couple) were seated with another coue at dinner. Ugh.

Had one glitch with our stateroom. After lunch we went to the room, got our keys and unpacked (bags were already there). Went to get a drink and the bartender said we were in a different room. Checked with guest services and after about 10 minutes they figured out that there was a maintenance issue in the room we were originally assigned so they moved us. Unfortunately we were never notified. They gave us new keys and offered to have housekeeping move our stuff. We just moved ourselves, we didn't have that much stuff and it only took a few minutes. They did send a nice apology note and gift to the room later which seemed an appropriate response.

While the Covid protocols on our previous cruises since the restart didn't detract all that much from our enjoyment, it was great to be on the ship and have it feel more like it "used to be".

As a bonus, we got to see a SpaceX launch shortly after boarding!View attachment 660057
When you were seated with another couple at dinner were you each given a basket of bread and butter? or did you have to share

As a bonus, we got to see a SpaceX launch shortly after boarding!View attachment 660057
when you were seated with another party did you have your own bread basket and butter or did you have to share with another party?

When you were seated with another couple at dinner were you each given a basket of bread and butter? or did you have to share

when you were seated with another party did you have your own bread basket and butter or did you have to share with another party?
in the past, we shared. Now, we don’t know. As a couple we’ve been seated with other couples from tables of 4, 6, and 8.

Last edited:
in the past, NO. Now, we don’t know. As a couple we’ve been seated with other couples from tables of 4, 6, and 8. My last one was uncomfortable. we were in our late 60s and we were the babies of the bunch. We were always last to get bread, as the baskets went around. We were polite, but uncomfortable. It was a b2b so had a private table for the second cruise.
How did you get the private table for your second part of your B2B? Did you ask your head server, or did you put in your request in advance?
We have a B2B coming up and I really don't want to wait on hold for over 5 hours to request this. My booking is with Costco and I cannot get through to them either.
Our first leg of our B2B is a 3 night, so I guess it won't be too bad to share the table if we can secure a private table for our second cruise.

in the past, NO. Now, we don’t know. As a couple we’ve been seated with other couples from tables of 4, 6, and 8. My last one was uncomfortable. in our late 60s we were the babies of the bunch. We were always last to get bread, as the baskets went around. We were polite, but uncomfortable. It was a b2b so had a private table for the second cruise. all 6 of the others knew each other, and we were the odd-balls.
@Dug720 What email address did you send your request to?
I used the contact us page on the website to request a private table yesterday it has been taking 5 days for a response. I might call today and just wait on hold.

How did you get the private table for your second part of your B2B? Did you ask your head server, or did you put in your request in advance?
We have a B2B coming up and I really don't want to wait on hold for over 5 hours to request this. My booking is with Costco and I cannot get through to them either.
Our first leg of our B2B is a 3 night, so I guess it won't be too bad to share the table if we can secure a private table for our second cruise.
Whenever you do a b2b the head server will consult with you (He will magically know you are doing a b2b). He will ask you if you want to keep your same dining team. He will ask you if you would like your own table or do you want to group again. If he doesn’t ask about the private table, you should at this time. It has always been honored. We have done maybe five b2b cruises

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter