Just off the Dream, ch...ch...ch....changes!

I just sent my Dreams Unlimited Agent an email and asked them to request a private table for me for my September Norwegian Fjords cruise. Maybe the MDR change is only for the US based sailings but I didnt want to take the chance and decided it was best to put in a request in advance.

Thanks for the update! I'm actually happy about the return to sharing tables with others. I'm a big introvert, so its not my favorite thing, BUT my daughter is the opposite and LOVES having other kids her age to share the dinner with, so I mom up and handle it, lol. She'll be thrilled with that news. I'm more excited about the self-serve buffet. Another part of being an introvert is that I really dislike asking people to serve me food. I'd much rather take what I want. I have a hard time doing the carving station, and often skip that, so the idea of a whole buffet where I have to ask for what I want *shudder* So, two pieces of good news for me.

I just sent a request for our September Dream cruise for a private table. I'm more worried if we were seated with just one other couple that it could be awkward if we have nothing in common. Previously we've been seated at tables of 8. One time one of the couples didn't talk at all. It wasn't so weird because the other two couples were chatty. I can't imagine how uncomfortable it would have been if it was just us and them. lol

Thanks for the update. Can we request a private table when we board or do we have to do it in advance? What's the chance of getting one for 2 adults, 2 kids? We have a family of introverts who would just sit their awkwardly if we had to share lol especially if they put us with adults without kids.

I'm not going to say "back to normal" because I don't think that what we considered "normal" in Feb 2020 is ever completely coming back.

That's said, we were on the 4/1 sailing of the Dream (23rd DCL cruise overall and 4th since the restart) on which many things changed back to what we were used to. According to a couple different crew members the ship sailed with 2,500 it so passengers.

Everything is back to full self-service: soda/coffee, ice cream, Cabanas, Cookies BBQ on Castaway. In Cabanas they were back to each pod having a different offering with pretty much the full range of options they previously had.

Now that the testing at Port Canaveral is antigen, results are received much quicker. We got ours in 13 minutes compared to 40 on December. The rest of the embarkation process was smooth. We arrived at our PAT of 10:15 and were in the waiting area of the terminal at 10:50. Was able to connect to the ship wifi and snag a couple additional adult beverage tastings in the app. Boarding began at 11:30. There's no longer the "welcome aboard" show in the atrium to slow down the boarding process.

The virtual muster drill continues and is probably the best improvement to come out of the pandemic. I do t see that going away.

On this sailing I'd say we had the best service overall of any of our cruises. The crew is unfailingly friendly and willing to accommodate. Our dining team and stateroom host went above and beyond to create a memorable experience! The crew indicated they'd be able to go maskless in a couple weeks.

There were definitely a ton more activities listed in the Navigator each day, and more live music in the adult areas. Still doing the Disney Ever After fireworks, perhaps Pirates will return one day. Popcorn is back at Preludes by the Walt Disney Tbeater, but not at the Buena Vista Theater. Masks are no longer required in the theaters.

The nursery wasn't open, can't speak to the operation of the kids' clubs.

Food was consistently good from the dining rooms to Cabanas to Palo. Palo brunch has not yet returned to the buffet format. Unfortunately, they have resumed the practice of seating unrelated parties together at dinner. We (travelling as a couple) were seated with another coue at dinner. Ugh.

Had one glitch with our stateroom. After lunch we went to the room, got our keys and unpacked (bags were already there). Went to get a drink and the bartender said we were in a different room. Checked with guest services and after about 10 minutes they figured out that there was a maintenance issue in the room we were originally assigned so they moved us. Unfortunately we were never notified. They gave us new keys and offered to have housekeeping move our stuff. We just moved ourselves, we didn't have that much stuff and it only took a few minutes. They did send a nice apology note and gift to the room later which seemed an appropriate response.

While the Covid protocols on our previous cruises since the restart didn't detract all that much from our enjoyment, it was great to be on the ship and have it feel more like it "used to be".

As a bonus, we got to see a SpaceX launch shortly after boarding!View attachment 660057
Your report made me so happy!!! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the update! I'm actually happy about the return to sharing tables with others. I'm a big introvert, so its not my favorite thing, BUT my daughter is the opposite and LOVES having other kids her age to share the dinner with, so I mom up and handle it, lol. She'll be thrilled with that news. I'm more excited about the self-serve buffet. Another part of being an introvert is that I really dislike asking people to serve me food. I'd much rather take what I want. I have a hard time doing the carving station, and often skip that, so the idea of a whole buffet where I have to ask for what I want *shudder* So, two pieces of good news for me.
I think it’s different when there are kids involved. As all adults though it just gets awkward.

I’d had a Palo dinner in my pocket in case we can’t get brunch, but I may hold onto it so if we are stuck with others we’ll have a night to escape.

Thanks so much! We're going in 2 weeks and have never been. Apologies if I missed it but were there capacity and time for the pools? Thanks!!

I'm more excited about the self-serve buffet. Another part of being an introvert is that I really dislike asking people to serve me food. I'd much rather take what I want. I have a hard time doing the carving station, and often skip that, so the idea of a whole buffet where I have to ask for what I want *shudder* So, two pieces of good news for me.

FWIW the folks who work stations like this don't even notice you unless you want them to. I'm also a big introvert but having worked service when I was younger the only people who stick out are the ones who try and chat you up when all you want to do is keep the line moving and run the clock down. :)

Paper navigators were phased out for "green" purposes, not COVID purposes. I don't expect they'll ever be back. I believe you can see the daily itinerary on your stateroom TV if that's any easier for you than the phone.
I don't have a crystal ball, but Disney does listen. If enough cruisers complain on the comment cards, those paper navigators will return. Just like when they went from charging for soda to offering it at no additional charge. It was all based on the huge volume of complaints on the comment cards that a cruise so focused on children was charging for soda.

I don't have a crystal ball, but Disney does listen. If enough cruisers complain on the comment cards, those paper navigators will return. Just like when they went from charging for soda to offering it at no additional charge. It was all based on the huge volume of complaints on the comment cards that a cruise so focused on children was charging for soda.
The key word is enough. With a society that getting use to having smart phones for everything, it is just a way of life. Plus the realization of the amount of waste generated for printing these. 1,250 staterooms on the Dream, with a very conservative 50% boost on extras gives you 1,875 paper Navigators per day which gives you at least 13,125 per week and 682,500 per year on one ship. While they make very nice keepsakes, I do believe their time is done and won't be coming back.

Thanks for your report. Regarding private tables, we’re a big group of 14. Do you think we’ll need to request a private table or will we automatically get one? Thanks.

Thanks for your report. Regarding private tables, we’re a big group of 14. Do you think we’ll need to request a private table or will we automatically get one? Thanks.
You'll definitely be seated just your party. Just know that you'll probably be split up depending on the restaurant. We were a big party and in some restaurants we were at 2 long tables of 8. In one (I can't remember which, maybe enchanted garden?) we were all side by side by side in like 3 tables of 6 if I remember correctly.

You'll definitely be seated just your party. Just know that you'll probably be split up depending on the restaurant. We were a big party and in some restaurants we were at 2 long tables of 8. In one (I can't remember which, maybe enchanted garden?) we were all side by side by side in like 3 tables of 6 if I remember correctly.
Thanks so much! I actually don’t mind this! Maybe we can stick all my kids at the table with the aunties and I can have a quiet dinner with adults! Lol. Kidding, but only kind of!

Paper navigators were phased out for "green" purposes, not COVID purposes. I don't expect they'll ever be back. I believe you can see the daily itinerary on your stateroom TV if that's any easier for you than the phone.
Sure that's why they are not printing paper navigators for "green " purposes. Just like when we used to use paper bags and then went plastic bags and now we are back to paper bags. 😉

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter