Keepin' the Magic, Keepin' the Magic...An August 2014 trip report!

That last park day is so bittersweet, isn't it? I always wake up with a pit in my stomach:( Then I tell myself it's going to be the best park day EVER....and bless my family they usually make it that way:cloud9: Looks like the first half of yours was pretty excellent!

Hi!! Time for part two of our last park day :(

When I left off, we had missed our SDMT fast pass because it was closed for weather. We would get over our irritation with a little help from...FOOD.

First we stopped for this:

and then headed for Sleepy Hollow for waffle sandwiches! I got the turkey and prosciutto (it was fine...wouldn't get it again), DH got the sweet and spicy chicken (it was DELICIOUS.), X got the nutella/berry (yum!), and L got waffles with strawberries (double yum!!).
All of my photos of the sandwiches look disgusting, full of chew marks, because I just can't get it together with my food photography, but L's waffles look yummy:

We took our food into the Heritage House, which is a hidden gem. It's quiet in there, and out of the way. We ate and just kind of relaxed for awhile. DH checked times for the Hall of Presidents. It was 5 minutes away from starting, so we walked over and enjoyed getting out of the drizzly, hot, soupy air.

Afterward we got a treat! The Festival of Fantasy Parade was just starting. We managed to snag a spot on the porch outside of Heritage House. This is a great parade viewing area!! You are elevated, so you can see everything that's happening and you are NOT crushed by the crowd. It was like winning the jackpot.

I shared a few FoF pictures from our first day, so I won't bombard you, but...

I saw my BFFS, Tiana and Naveen

and Olaf, Anna, and Elsa

Side note: What the heck is up with the Elsa wigs??? They're terrible!! I have yet to see a photo of a parade, the Frozen summer fun events, or a meet and greet where her hair looks any kind of good. It's baffling.

Here is Prince Philip. I love this picture because I caught the swoop of his cape as he whirled around to battle the crows and thorns

And here's a picture of the dragon that shows off where we were standing, so you can snag this spot, too!!

We hauled our soggy behinds back to New Fantasyland to try to use our rain-delayed FP to see if the Dwarfs were working hard or hardly working. The ride had JUST opened back up (the standby line was overflowing...I don't think anyone got out of line.) and we were the first people in the FP line. DH sat this ride out, so the kids sat together and I sat with a very, very, VERY excited Japanese girl. She was adorable.

We met back up with DH (who, in searching for the exit after we got in line, walked alllllll the way around the mountain instead of walking, oh, five feet the other direction. LOL!), found a FP kiosk, and got an immediate return time for Winnie the Pooh. I was grateful for this, b/c the standby line for this was looong.

The ugly cry did not make another appearance, thankfully.

We spent a little time in Hundred Acre Goods, and then I remembered I wanted to ride the People Mover. So off to Tomorrowland we went. The line for the People Mover was INSANE. I've never seen it so full, EVER. We bypassed it and walked right on Carousel of Progress, and after that, our renditions of Blood on the Saddle were replaced with "It's a great big beautiful tomorrow...." for the rest of the day.

We were starting to d-r-a-g by this point in the day, but we had to hang in there! We had a reservation for Be our Guest at 5:15! We had to kill about an hour.

We wandered around in Big Top Souvenirs. What a store!! I think this is one of the most impressive shops in the parks. Then we started back toward BOG, with a stop at the little store in the village.

I think the boys were punch drunk. They were giggling so hard over the antler hats. Had to pair them with swords of course:

I checked the time, 4:55. We decided to go for it. We got to the gates of BOG

and the gate keeper told us we could check in 15 minutes early. It was 4:57. So we sat and waited for three minutes.

Finally the time clicked over to 5:00, and we started toward the doors. I was so excited!!!!!!!!!! We enjoyed lunch here, but dinner?? That's a big deal, right? We always see how hard it is to get a reservation here, and I snagged ours so easily, I hoped hoped HOPED it would be worth it.

It was.

We checked in and took our buzzer in to wait with these guys:

(can you find the hidden Mickey in this blurry picture??)

The Beast was seated in his library...what a tease. We were so close, and yet so far...

After what felt like an eternity (in reality it was maybe 10/15 minutes), our name was called and it was time!!

Side note: I thought they were supposed to have a "friend of Lumiere" with them to guide you to your table?? No candelabra for us :(

I was hoping for the ballroom, but we were seated in the West Wing again. It was fine though. The low light didn't bother us (except where taking pictures was concerned).

Our server was April, and she was great! I could overhear her interacting with her other tables, and she was really on the ball, keeping everyone engaged, very knowledgeable about the menu, helpful with suggestions, etc...

So pretty. *sigh*

DH and I started off with a drink
(drinking beer at MK seems so weird)

I had the Chimay red, DH had the blue:

I absolutely enjoyed the atmosphere of Be our Guest more at dinner. It was quiet and subdued. I didn't feel rushed, there was no hectic scrambling of others around you, desperate for drink refills and forks. It was so peaceful. The dim lighting of the West Wing made it all the more restful.

Would you like to hear about the food??

Good, 'cause I'm getting ready to gush about it.

I ordered the salmon on leek fondue. I want to come back so I can have this again!!!

Now, it might not look like much, but this. was. divine. The potato/leek gratin under the salmon was CRAZY good.

DH got the steak

He ordered it medium rare and it was cooked to perfection. And don't even get me started on that truffle garlic mayo stuff that came with it. I was swiping fries like a madwoman to dip it in that sauce. Yum!

X ordered the braised pork again. It is presented differently than lunch, but is still delicious.

He would not stop eating for me to take a picture, so you get to see him shoveling it into his mouth. Sorry.

We told L he could order off the adult menu if he wanted, but once he saw the kid's fish of the day on the menu, that is what he was set on. The kid LOVES fish (except salmon), and will order it over almost anything. The fish of the day was Mahi.

He inhaled the fish and broccoli, left the rice, and stole bites of my leek fondue. I may have threatened to stab him with a fork, but I won't say for sure...

X was the only one who remembered to wear his birthday button, so he's the only one who was treated to the gray stuff

Dinner was great and all, but it was finally time for what I was REALLY waiting for...meeting the Beast!

We were damp and bedraggled, but by golly we smiled:

Why is X making a face and pointing at DH's shirt? Because he's a horrible, terrible child, who hates his mother. Or because he's 11, and as I previously stated, 11 year old boys are weird.

This was IT for us. We were exhausted. There was time for only one more thing, a parting shot of my beautiful icon of all icons, Cinderella Castle

The rest of the evening was spent swimming, packing, and feeling pretty sad.

The next chapter will be departure day, followed by a post full of our Memory Maker photos.

Thanks for making it this far...we're almost to the end!

You BOG experience sounds delightful!

Ours, was not. :confused3 But I also had the salmon and leek fondue and Wow it was delish! Don't recall what Dh ate, it was no where near as good as what I had! (Though he thinks otherwise - of course I didn't let him taste mine...):rolleyes1

Ack!! Where did all of my pictures go?? I checked photobucket and I'm well under the 10gb bandwidth. Ugh. :mad::confused3

Editing to add...ok, so my pictures are unavailable to be viewed until my bandwidth resets in three day. I checked again and i'm at 10.2. Boo. So no updates until then...guess my morning just opened up, LOL!!

Ack!! Where did all of my pictures go?? I checked photobucket and I'm well under the 10gb bandwidth. Ugh. :mad::confused3

Editing to add...ok, so my pictures are unavailable to be viewed until my bandwidth resets in three day. I checked again and i'm at 10.2. Boo. So no updates until then...guess my morning just opened up, LOL!!

Switch to Flikr - so far it's easier than photo buckets ever been. Though I don't know what it's like as you get more photos on it, but I seldom see the flikr photos eaten. (Though I could be wrong).

I'm SO glad you enjoyed your BOG dinner:goodvibes We've had dinner there
4x and it has truly become my favorite restaurant in WDW. After our first visit there in Nov. of 2012, DS8 requested it on our next 2 trips and I was lucky enough to get 2 reservations on our Feb. trip this year.

We skipped it on our trip last month as DS12 isn't a huge fan, and I REALLY missed it:sad: We've had lunch there once but it didn't do anything for us. Since we (well, 3 of us lol) love it so much, it makes me sad when people don't enjoy it and very happy when they do!:banana:

Such a fun TR to read! I LOL'd at the cue Sheldon bit and now of course "I play the bongos" will be stuck in my head all day!

Thanks for sharing! :)

I have not abandoned you, I promise!!!

Things have been crazy lately. If you see me mention that I've volunteered for the school's fall fest next year...remind me to JUST SAY NO. LOL!!

I should have time next week for the last two updates.

Thanks for sticking with me!!

:flower3::flower3::flower3:

I loved this trip report! I have 76 days till my next trip and reading your trip report made me want to be back so badly!:thumbsup2:):goodvibes

Trying to get caught up...this has been a crazy busy fall (excuses). Lovin the dinner at BOG! I sure wish I could snag one of those ADRs...but I will make due with lunch I guess!

I'm finally back!!!

I have certainly not been livin' on Disney time the last couple of months. Real life. Ugh.

We have had quiz bowl meetings and competitions, cub scout activities, and now we're getting Odyssey of the Mind going. AND...I'm planning our trip for next summer!

We will be heading back to the Wilderness Lodge (we really tried to branch out this time, we alllllmost booked at the Contemporary, then we allllmost booked at Animal Kingdom Lodge. But in the end, we went back to our favorite home away from home. )

We did book a bunk bed room this time, which will be new...baby steps.

So, you're here for something else, aren't you?
You're here for me to get this sucker wrapped up!!
Well, we're on our way :)

Let's travel back in time to the saddest day ever. August 12, 2014. The day we had to leave Disney World and go back home.

We started the morning with breakfast at Roaring Forks. I said, "Oh, I'm not that hungry...just get me a muffin or something."

They listened. They brought me a muffin. While the rest of them had Mickey waffles piled high with whipped cream and strawberries. I hope they felt the daggers my eyes were shooting at them. *sigh* Live and learn. Never ask for a muffin, always go big and get the waffles. I was soooo jealous of their plates!!

We finished our packing, cleaned up, and went down for one last walk around the grounds for pictures, and a trip to the Mercantile for last minute gotta-have-it goodies.

Seriously, is this not the most beautiful resort ever??

We did our shopping and crossed the lobby toward our room for the last time. Here is how the boys felt:

We got our bags from the room, came back down to drop them off at airline check-in, and sat around in the lobby until time for the not-so-Magical Express. It loses the "Magical" when it takes you AWAY from the magic in our opinion!

The saddest little chipmunk in all the land :(

He's not the only sad one:

Full disclosure: I had tears in my eyes all morning. In fact, I have tears in my eyes right now, because I hate hate HATE leaving my Disney behind.

Our bus came at 11am, and we boarded. We made a stop at Coronado Springs to pick up other sad faces, then off to MCO.

We stopped at the airport Burger King for a pre-flight fill up, and moods were improved with a little thumb wrestling.

We went to our gate and sat for what felt like forever. Just in time to board and......

...wait. Rain delay.

I think we waited out there for maybe 30 minutes-ish? 45? I can't quite remember. We killed time the best way we know how. Airplane selfies.

Soon we were in the air and above the clouds

We landed, found our car after a little panic and some flipping through my phone's picture album. Then we were on the road toward home!

There was a TON of road construction leaving Memphis toward Little Rock, we knew this. And we also knew we'd be hitting some pre-rush hour traffic. We were NOT expecting an accident on the road that basically shut traffic down and cost us an hour of sitting still in a neverending line of cars and trucks.

Eventually we made it to the open road for a fairly uneventful (but LONG) drive back home. At least the scenery was nice!

Stay tuned for some magic shots and some Memory Maker photos!

I really am getting this finished up today!

Hey again! Magic Shot photo post time!!

We had several magic shots on our Memory Maker (best Disney deal EVER in my opinion...we had almost 500 photos by the end.)

I will share a few of my favorites!

Note: A couple of them aren't great, just funny.

This is L's favorite. He had a LOT of fun making shocked faces throughout the week, lol:

This is NOT X's favorite...but I think it is HILARIOUS. What is this face??

I was so excited when we scored a picture with Chip outside of the Beast's castle! We have about 4 of them, but I won't bombard you!

And I can't leave out a classic:

The next shot is RIDICULOUS, but it has an extra special pal in it, so I have to share:

OLAF!!! I was very excited to get this shot. Very, very excited!

He was not the only Frozen friend we got a magic shot with. We were thrilled when we stopped for a MM picture at DHS and she said we could get one with Sven! We were not so thrilled, however, when we got back to the room and looked at the pictures and realized that our photographer gave us the WORST DIRECTION EVER. We have one sort of successful-ish photo with him. But this one is my favorite:

WHAT is happening here?? Seriously. Are we disgusted by what Sven left on the ground or what?? Hilarious. I think I want to frame it.

And finally...X keeping L on the ground and out of the clouds at the Animal Kingdom:

So there's a quick look at the "shocked face photos" as the boys call them. They were a lot of fun!

Again, stay tuned...I've got one more post to get up today, some of our Memory Maker photos!

Here it is...The Grand Finale.

A teeny tiny sampling of our memory maker photos, and my trip report wrap up!

Let's begin the end then, shall we??

These are in no particular order, by the way!

Here...we...goooooooo!!!!

This is from our last park day. Frontierland with Chip and Dale. Standing in line for this meet was SO HOT. But that's ok...in about half an hour, it would start raining...and keep drizzling all day.

This is from our arrival day...Rockin' Rollercoaster. Our second ride at the parks (first was ToT). The boys' faces are PRICELESS.

X with Donald in Epcot's Mexico. This is one of my very favorites!

Hot and tired on our last park day...

Arrival day...pre-Tower of Terror scared faces:

The whole family with Donald in Mexico:

At the character spot with Goofy:

Magic Kingdom day one...the BEST character meet and greet ever, with Gaston:

L with Dale at Epcot. This whole meet and greet made me tear up. He loves Chip and Dale so much! This is where he had them sign his ears.

King of the Kingdom:

Thrills and Splashes:

At the Magic Kingdom :cloud9:

Grossing out the boys at Epcot:

Family photo with Pluto:

Animal Kingdom:

Frozen Summer Fun!! (to be honest, we didn't do any of the Frozen stuff at DHS!)

On X's bday...

So there you go!

That's it.

That's a wrap.

The end.

Thank you all so much for joining me!! I hope this helped some of you prepare for upcoming trips, or helped to tide you over as you wait for your own dose of Disney fun.

I really enjoyed writing this and sharing our adventures with all of you.

Our vacation was truly magical. I can't even begin to say how excited I am that the Disney bug bit the rest of my family while we were there. I love that this home away from home will be a part of our lives for years to come.

Keep moving forward, Friends.

I'll see you all real soon :woohoo::woohoo:

Love the pics of Wilderness Lodge, it's now a serious contender for our next trip especially if we go around the holidays. We wish we had known about the Chip magic shot, it would have been perfect in our costumes! I didn't notice any photo pass photogs near BoG when we were there though, maybe because they were all doing characters for MNSSHP. Oh well. Congrats on finishing your TR!

I've been waiting for you to finish! I really enjoyed following your TR and I'll be sure to look for one from you next summer ;)

I'm trying to talk DH into a stay at WL, but he says it doesn't appeal to him:(. Thought I could win him over for our upcoming anniversary trip but the BWV won out. I'll try again next time we bring the boys!

Happy Thanksgiving:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter