Kim Mulkey's Comments Post South Carolina/LSU Basketbrawl

There is reportedly a story about Mulkey by The Washington Post to be released soon.

Mulkey is threatening to sue-the Mulkey Circus rolls on.

“I’m fed up, and I’m not going to let The Washington Post attack this university, this awesome team of young women I have, or me without a fight. I’ve hired the best defamation law firm in the country, and I will sue The Washington Post if they publish a false story about me. Not many people are in a position to hold these kinds of journalists accountable, but I am, and I’ll do it.”

Mulkey called the writer "sleazy" today.

He has a long list of respected awards in his career.

Sounds like he must have uncovered some very unflattering things in the Kimster's past.

I realize this is sort of selfish of me - but if anyone is a WaPo subscriber, will you post a gift link when it comes out? I dropped my subscription at the start of the year (the Post is my preferred paper - but money is/was tight and I cut out almost all monthly subscriptions).

This is the comment that many are criticizing.

Some are reading it as she is saying fighting is OK,but it should be between players of equal size.

But I can tell you this: I wish (Cardoso) would have pushed Angel Reese. Don't push a kid — you're 6-8. Don't push somebody that little. That was uncalled for, in my opinion. Let those two girls that were jawing, let them go at it.

I never even heard the term "jawing" before...is that like yelling/arguing?

I never even heard the term "jawing" before...is that like yelling/arguing?
I would describe jawing as more like taunting players on the other team. You make a good tackle and you say some thing to the other guy as you get up. You shoot a three-point basket and you say something to the person who was guarding you. It doesn’t need to be arguing or even yelling, it might just be something like take that or got you, or stay down, etc.

As far as Kim Mulkey, it’s always disappointing to me when coaches behave like that. No matter what level they’re at, they should be setting a better example.

I would describe jawing as more like taunting players on the other team. You make a good tackle and you say some thing to the other guy as you get up. You shoot a three-point basket and you say something to the person who was guarding you. It doesn’t need to be arguing or even yelling, it might just be something like take that or got you, or stay down, etc.

As far as Kim Mulkey, it’s always disappointing to me when coaches behave like that. No matter what level they’re at, they should be setting a better example.

oh, like taunting

I realize this is sort of selfish of me - but if anyone is a WaPo subscriber, will you post a gift link when it comes out? I dropped my subscription at the start of the year (the Post is my preferred paper - but money is/was tight and I cut out almost all monthly subscriptions).
It's long! Hope this works.

https://wapo.st/4cBAM4A

I would not consider it a hit piece.

Last edited:
It's long! Hope this works.

https://wapo.st/4cBAM4A

I would not consider it a hit piece.
You're a godsend. It's true - I read it - and wouldn't consider it a hit piece. I have to admit that my own feelings come into play here - but I can imagine her now saying, "Well, the reporter pulled back because I threatened if he didn't tell the truth." I don't know. I look at two models of coaching - Dawn Staley and Kim Mulkey. And I'd go for Coach Staley a million times. I live near IU and so many people revere Bob Knight and I cannot, for the life of me, understand how it's okay to know someone does certain things and excuses it. Anyway - thank you for sharing it!

From Angel Reese yesterday.

"We're the good villains," Reese said after the UCLA win. "I was talking to (LSU coach Kim Mulkey's son Kramer Robertson) about that. Everybody wants to beat LSU. Everybody wants to be LSU. Everybody wants to play against LSU.

"You've got to realize like we're not any regular basketball team. Like Coach talks about it all the time, she calls us the Beatles. People run after our bus. You're seeing sellouts, you're seeing people buying jerseys, you're seeing more sellouts than the men."

The Beatles?

Pride comes before the fall.

And for good measure AR told an assistant UCLA Coach "WATCH YOUR MOUTH" in the handshake line.

Stay Classy LSU.

Really? The beatles eh? Um no. I think what puts the Bee in Mulkie's bonnet is that people want to beat Iowa or South Carolina or Connecticut. LSU, despite being defending national champs is just not in the same category of wanting to beat em.

Despite being a 3 seed, Connecticut is a team I'd want to play and beat much more than LSU. I mean with all those national titles who wouldn't? South Carolina, who wouldn't want to hand them their first loss? And I don't know about you, but I'd love to see USC's fabulous Freshman play against Iowa's superb Senior. Maybe see a torch passing? All those teams add much more spice to beating them than LSU. The only reason anyone wants to beat LSU is their coach is a nasty witch and her team doesn't behave much better.

Stay Classy LSU.
Classy is no where in sight .... coach dresses like a hideous clown and makes a joke of the team/school. Coaches represent their school and should dress appropriately! I have friends and family who are coaches, and they would never disrespect their schools like that. A good coach is a leader, a mentor, a teacher and doesn't make the entire experience about themselves. She wants all eyes on her and that alone diminishes the athletes and the game. Yeah her teams are successful, but the athletic department obviously doesn't care she makes them look like fools, they should be embarrassed. I'm waiting for her to ride out to the court in a clown car.

NOTE: My kid was going in to college sports and we did our homework on the coaches, we went to competitions to watch how they coach, we ruled out some coaches based on their behavior. There is no way I'd let my kid compete for a coach like her, a narcissist who uses her athletes to boost herself into the limelight. And now we know one who encourages fighting as well.

Last edited:
Really? The beatles eh? Um no. I think what puts the Bee in Mulkie's bonnet is that people want to beat Iowa or South Carolina or Connecticut. LSU, despite being defending national champs is just not in the same category of wanting to beat em.

Despite being a 3 seed, Connecticut is a team I'd want to play and beat much more than LSU. I mean with all those national titles who wouldn't? South Carolina, who wouldn't want to hand them their first loss? And I don't know about you, but I'd love to see USC's fabulous Freshman play against Iowa's superb Senior. Maybe see a torch passing? All those teams add much more spice to beating them than LSU. The only reason anyone wants to beat LSU is their coach is a nasty witch and her team doesn't behave much better.
Nod doubt-it seems that the goal of LSU is to force everyone to dislike them so they can brag about how hated they are.

Mission accomplished LSU.

My opinion is that Kim is doing the "kids" on her team a disservice to their future lives. Every time I see a game or read a recap, Angel Reese is getting into some kind of argument. It's a player or a coach. At some point you need to realize that you are the one common factor in all of these situations. Someone should guide her in the right direction. When you act that way in the future with other adults, it's not going to work out well. Your job, personal relationships, etc.

I understand there is trash talking, but physical or verbal arguments every time you have a game is not acceptable.

My opinion is that Kim is doing the "kids" on her team a disservice to their future lives. Every time I see a game or read a recap, Angel Reese is getting into some kind of argument. It's a player or a coach. At some point you need to realize that you are the one common factor in all of these situations. Someone should guide her in the right direction. When you act that way in the future with other adults, it's not going to work out well. Your job, personal relationships, etc.

I understand there is trash talking, but physical or verbal arguments every time you have a game is not acceptable.
For sure and look for more of the same in the game with Iowa today.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter