Knotts Food Festivals

Just wanted to update: La Cabanita is open for take out! They do have a few (up to 8?) small tables outside, but who knows if outside dining is still allowed in L.A. County right now... But they are definitely open for take out because we enjoyed a delicious dinner from them last week. :)
Outside dining is still open in LA county...for now. They just have to close by 10pm

Outside dining is still open in LA county...for now. They just have to close by 10pm
Yes, allowed today -- but who knows about next week? Some restaurants (mainly the tiny mom & pop places) are going to take out only for now just to avoid the inevitable headaches with the threatened "increased measures." (So not helpful to small businesses with the holidays next week!) It's all so confusing for everyone!

Went to Taste of Merry Farm yesterday and had a great time. If you’ve been to any of the other recent Taste events, it’s the same kind of setup.

This is the largest one yet. The entire park area Is open - no more blocked off sections - so you can walk the entire park. There are even more vender booth shops. Almost every food outlet is open (all with their own Taste menu). Boardwalk games are all open. There are several meet & greet photo ops available (Snoopy, Lucy, Charlie Brown, Santa).

Lots of holiday decorations, especially at night when all the Christmas lights come on. At Ghost Town in the evening, there’s a periodic light show synchronized to music. There’s a large tree in the center of the park for photos too.

There’s also more food options than previous Taste the events, and I feel like the portions on some items got larger! For example, the Winter Pear Lemonade comes in a large cup topped with whipped cream & ginger (whereas the Fall o Ween blood orange lemonade came unadorned in a much smaller cup).

We liked almost everything we tried. Thanksgiving sandwich w/ mashed potatoes, chicken apple sausage, pomegranate wings. The kids liked their pizza and corn on the cob. The Gingerbread cake, peppermint cheesecake, and toffee cookie ice cream sandwich were all delicious. There was so much more I wanted to try but we were stuffed!

The only item we were disappointed with was the peppermint cheesecake stuffed churro. It’s very big, but it wasn’t crispy and was very doughy.

Like the previous events, cleaning and mask enforcement was great. I will say that it felt like I saw more mask non-compliance than at previous events (noses out, masks on chins, etc) but overall it’s still way better than just about anywhere else I’ve been - including DTD.

We were at the park pretty much all day. It was so nice to be able to walk around and enjoy the park and holiday decorations. If you’re missing that kind of experience, I would totally recommend coming to Knott’s.

We went to this today and it was lovely. We got there around 1 and had basically walked right in (we did the Halloween event on a weekday and got there around 4:30 or 5:00 and did have some waits for that, so we were glad to be able to stretch it over a full afternoon this time). They did screening questions and temp. walk through/security, but there were really no lines and it was very well organized.

The decorations were lovely And we enjoyed the music. We did a few of the distanced character meets that didn’t have lines, but didn’t meet Santa (at first The kids didn’t want to, but then around 4 they said “maybe”, but they were out of reservations by then and told us about Snoopy Santa). Snoopy Santa had a long line, but my kiddos were happy to look from afar. Camp Snoopy was very cool at night - tons of lights and we spent more time than anticipated just enjoying the atmosphere.

We also enjoyed poking around the craft booths and spent a long time watching the glass artist make a beautiful mermaid sculpture. My 9 year old was enamored and didn‘t want to leave until she had finished.

It seemed easier to find a table than at the Halloween festival (but maybe a function of going earlier in the day?), and most everything we tried was great. I loved the oatmeal toffee cookie sandwich, my oldest loved the tamales, cheese pizza was a hit with the 6YO, and my 3YO stole my street corn! The kids enjoyed the Elf float and DH got some nice mulled wine (a bit tricky as you can’t sip and stroll...so this was enjoyed over a few snack stops).

i think Knotts did a much better job of making the kid-friendly food options known this time around (stating where cheese pizza, plain Mac and cheese, etc. were available and just having more picky-eater options in general). I really appreciated this, as finding entrees for my younger 2 was a challenge at the fall event.

The kids were a bit bummed that there was nothing “fun” to do (a la trick-or-treat-trail). They seemed to enjoy themselves a lot, but this did come up more than once... I was thinking we may find cookie decorating or something like that a la carte, but we didn’t see anything. We had reminded them there would be no trick or treating in advance, but they still thought there should be more “for kids to do”. Honestly, I think kids activities are just very tricky in the current situation, and I was thrilled that they got to see characters from afar, enjoy the lights, and spent time dancing around to the music.

Most people seemed to be doing a great job with mask compliance, and we saw people with signs with the rules who would remind anyone who needed a reminder. They also had an announcement reminder fairly regularly that unless you were actively eating/drinking, stationary/socially distanced you had to have your masks on. It seems like they have it down with having clear, concise criteria, which is great!

We went to Taste of Merry Farm on Saturday. We got there about 30 minutes before it opened and crowds were minimal. I really enjoyed the festive outfits some people had on (matching Christmas Ho Ho Ho suits for the family, etc.). The wait to get in and screening were straightforward (I was impressed with the temperature check, which my husband didn't even register was happening as he walked through), and as a first time covid food festival attendee, I was impressed with the spacing of the lines, consistency of mask wearing, etc. It felt really safe and clean. For what it's worth though, we left when it started getting crowded around 2:30PM. The employees said it's likely going to be much more crowded at night because everyone wants to see the holiday lights, so if you're extremely cautious with crowds like we are, go early.

My husband and I enjoyed all of the foods we tried. Our top favorites were the raspberry cheesecake, the tater tots, and the cookiewich. But honestly, it was all really good. I will say the pulled pork mac and cheese felt like there were a few too many flavors competing, but the mac and cheese and pulled pork were amazing when eaten separately and did work together even though there was a lot going on. The tacos were a little sparse on toppings, but had a great flavor. The only thing we didn't absolutely love (but still enjoyed) was the pozole, which was good, but the seasoning on the soup base was a little off--still good, but we've had better.

I appreciate the tip I read about bringing ziplock bags, so thank you to whoever shared that. My husband and I ate what we could not save (anything with ice cream, for example), but ended up taking about half the food home because the portions were so big we would have made ourselves sick eating all that food. We also brought our own water since we aren't big on the beverage options available and didn't want to pay for sodas or waters there.

If you've never been to a theme park when the rides are closed, without all the movement and noise that comes with a fully operational park, it's a special experience in itself just to see the rides sitting still without queues and people. Add to that the good food and merchandise, and it was well worth the money to go.

The kids were a bit bummed that there was nothing “fun” to do (a la trick-or-treat-trail). They seemed to enjoy themselves a lot, but this did come up more than once... I was thinking we may find cookie decorating or something like that a la carte, but we didn’t see anything. We had reminded them there would be no trick or treating in advance, but they still thought there should be more “for kids to do”. Honestly, I think kids activities are just very tricky in the current situation, and I was thrilled that they got to see characters from afar, enjoy the lights, and spent time dancing around to the music.

One of the videos I watched showed a vendor with Christmas slime kits for kids.

That's really weird because I thought they had cookie decorating at the Halloween one.

Me too! We didn’t do it at Halloween because the trick-or-treat trail was plenty. I did not ask anyone about it, so we may have just missed it, but I also didn’t see it mentioned anywhere.

@midnight star
My coworker went with her family. Big hit for them was the pulled pork mac n cheese, the drinks, and the raspberry cheesecake. The kids loved the carnival games and with the promo they ended up hauling a few squishanimals.

I went to the Craft Village today and it was AWESOME. I thought it would just be a few vendors in Calico but many shops are open (with capacity limits) and the open area stretches to Camp Snoopy. There are plenty of photo opportunities, music is playing, and the lights turn on at night. The Santa photo opp is still available, but reservations must be done in person. No crowds when I was there, so I explored all the little building vignettes and watched the glass-blower and woodmaker. They even had take out. The food was sold cold with heating instructions provided. Overall, another great way that shows Knotts is nimble enough to deal with change.

Attachments

• IMG_20201212_191221_709.jpg
    IMG_20201212_191221_709.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20201212_191221_775.jpg
    IMG_20201212_191221_775.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20201212_191221_931.jpg
    IMG_20201212_191221_931.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 6
I went to the Craft Village today and it was AWESOME. I thought it would just be a few vendors in Calico but many shops are open (with capacity limits) and the open area stretches to Camp Snoopy. There are plenty of photo opportunities, music is playing, and the lights turn on at night. The Santa photo opp is still available, but reservations must be done in person. No crowds when I was there, so I explored all the little building vignettes and watched the glass-blower and woodmaker. They even had take out. The food was sold cold with heating instructions provided. Overall, another great way that shows Knotts is nimble enough to deal with change.
I saw some vloggers stream it, and it seemed really cool. I've been so impressed with Knotts during all of this! Amazing! Glad they were able to keep Santa there, I'm sure kids (and adults lol) will love it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter