"Kurt Russell Read Us the Story of Christmas!" Dec 2017 Xmas & Bday TR-Updated 1/16 DS Night & Vlog

Discussion in 'Disney Trip Reports' started by Raeven, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Raeven

Raeven Happiest Haunt

It was ridiculous! The whole seating process for CP was driving me crazy.

thumper* likes this.
  2. pepperandchips

pepperandchips [melinda]

Wow, what an ordeal with CP. One factor that has contributed to my not doing CP again (or really waiting to see any of the bands or anything at America Gardens) is the view issue. I also think they sell way too many dining packages and then reserve the very best front seats for VIP tours and the like, meaning paying extra for a candlelight package gets you little more than a place to sit, not necessarily a good view of the show. I can usually hear the shows quite well from the other areas in front of the America pavilion so we'll hang out there if we want to enjoy what's going on in the theater. I still can't believe no CMs were helping fill rows and keep the kind of shenanigans from occurring that you guys experienced with the saving 28 seats thing. I wonder if their family was even all able to get in?

Anyway... I loved your review of the new Pop rooms. Makes them sound much more appealing! Though I have to say I am growing increasingly frustrated with the quality of Disney rooms. We stayed at Saratoga for 2 nights before Christmas on the way down to Ft Lauderdale to celebrate with family and the bed in our room was not comfortable at all. Compared to the quality of the bed/bedding in our $100/night Marriott Courtyard in Ft Lauderdale, disney should really be ashamed and work on buying some higher quality mattresses.

I did the same thing you did with the phone upgrade. Got a 7, next month the 8 came out... I really want those double cameras but I've so far not been able to justify getting a plus as it's just so huge and my hands are not! Great updates as usual, thanks for my escape to Disney this morning :)

Raeven likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. Jenny Sanders

Jenny Sanders DIS Veteran

The CP situation really sucks! Disney needs to assign seats, which would make the most sense...

Raeven likes this.
  5. missangelalexis

missangelalexis DIS Veteran

Your CP experience sounds chaotic! That really is unfair that people think it's ok to save seats for 30 people! I'm glad you were still able to find decent seats though and enjoyed the show!

Raeven likes this.
  6. chunkymonkey

chunkymonkey DIS Veteran

I can't believe I wasn't here earlier but I'm all caught up now! Have to go check out the dining report now...
    Love the vlogs! Yeah when we were there Figment and the Grand Fiesta Tour had huge lines, at least for those rides. Oh well.
    The new Pop rooms are cute! I'd stay there!
    Definitely was cold when we first arrived to Disney so I can't imagine how you must have felt sitting at the CP at night.
    I also cannot believe how rude people are (actually I believe it - but it's hard to see such rude people at such a happy place). I bet you a few of that party had bought the package and everyone else did not and were just coming in with the standby crowds. It seems like Disney needs to enforce some sort of ticket per seat policy, and literally assign tickets to rows or something so that people can't reserve seats like that. It'll probably cause a lot of uproar but this is what happens when other people take advantage of the system like this. I believe if you pay for a package you should get the right to sit in a good seat of your choosing, and if you aren't there to choose a seat then you just have to take what you can get. Like saving a seat for one person is ok, but 28 people is just ridiculous.
    But that is so awesome you saw Kurt Russel!!!
    Now off to read the dining report...

Raeven likes this.
  7. StarWarsMomofGirls!

StarWarsMomofGirls! DIS Veteran

That stinks about the seating at CP! I would have been SUPER annoyed, if it makes you feel any better.

I can't believe how cold it is there right now! Being cold would distract me as well.

Raeven likes this.
  8. Neverland_Girl

Neverland_Girl Mouseketeer

:laughing: He's such a Regina George!

You sit behind the tree then lady
    Ugh I got so annoyed for you reading this! They make people move to the end of rows for every other show. Why not something like this? I really want to see CP but your review definitely makes me hesitant.

Raeven likes this.
  9. Raeven

Raeven Happiest Haunt

It was :confused3 I don't think we'll be doing CP again next year...or any of the bands. I've always wanted to see one of the concerts, but there's no one we like during our dates at F&G, and if we do F&W it'll be a short one day stop again so there's no chance to do that anyway. I agree! That makes sense. We felt the line for the dining packages was enormous when we got in it, and there were already a bunch of other lines for other things like VIP packages like you said. And we paid an outrageous price for our breakfast at Ale and Compass to get those seats. I'm definitely surprised too that CM's weren't more involved, but it just seemed like they were very hands off once everyone entered.

Eventually that row was filled so I do think they all came in, but after their family came in there was still some space, and some last minute guests squeezed in and made them push down which I was happy about :rotfl:

They really are much nicer than they were. I totally agree with that, I think the prices are outrageous, and they aren't even as nice as regular hotels that are half the price. I actually prefer the Universal hotels for this reason, I think the prices are reasonable and they're really nice. The problem is the convenience of staying on property is important because we don't like to rent a car or anything, but I've been trying to convince Josh we should try it at some point.

Ugh it's awful, isn't it? One of the reasons I've never got a plus phone is because of the size. I was even hesitant to get a 6 way back when because they seemed so big! I've adjusted to each of the new ones I've bought, but I really don't want to get a giant phone because I already can't really fit it in any pockets. I'll have to look at them in person to decide. I figured if this has the same battery problems I've had with other iPhones in the past then I don't have much time left before I need to get a new one anyway.

Aw, you're welcome!

Oh yeah it did. I kind of wish they did, but I'm not sure how they'd work that so it would be fair. BTW I used to love when they had reserved seating at dessert parties (well they still have it at a few but not the ones in MK), and I preferred that.

It was :confused3 I don't understand how everyone else acted like that was normal. I guess they didn't want to start an argument, but it was weird how everyone was just like Oh okay and ignored those rows.

Thank you! Our seats weren't too bad and we did enjoy it.

:wave: Glad to have you following along!

Thank you!

They are cute!

The nights that week were brutal! It was around the same temperature at home when we left (though it was colder at home than it was there for the most part).

I was almost astonished by how rude people were on this trip. There were a lot of crowds, and sometimes I felt people were acting a little crazy just because it was busy. I felt like the only person saying "excuse me" and not pushing people, or helping people who dropped something instead of trampling over it.

That's so annoying because we all had to pay for the dining package and wait in line, and then people who didn't even get one can come in as long as people save them seats. They should have all the dining package people sit down (with no seat saving, filling all available seats) before they let in other people. That's the thing I'm not sure how a system like that would work, because it would be good for people to not have to wait in line, but then not having the ability to choose a close up seat would probably make people mad. Plus then people might be assigned to seats behind trees or in the back row after paying for a dining package, so I can see where it might not work. I do think they need a better system, like maybe you could choose your seats online?

Yes it was pretty cool!

:cheer2:

:laughing: I do feel better now that I told you all about it, I was so annoyed when it happened. I can't believe how cold it is everywhere right now! There's been so much cold weather lately. I'm missing the cold FL weather, because it's too cold to even leave my house for more than 5 mins now :cold:

He is! :laughing:

:rotfl: Exactly. If she thought the spot behind the tree was so good, I'd gladly let her have it.

:laughing: I got annoyed all over again typing it, the lack of direction from anyone was crazy. There was no one telling anyone where to go or giving any directions once we went in. If you really want to see it I'd still do it, but I would warn even with the dining package you may not be super close and I'd get there more than an hour earlier depending on the narrator. I also wouldn't recommend it if it was as cold as our night, because we were outside for so long!

10. kittylady1972

kittylady1972 Disneyholic

Great updates and videos...love them! I wish we had tried out Pop Century, and maybe we will in the future, but I did end up loving our stay at Port Orleans Riverside.

And I am soooo with you on the cold...and the CP frustration! We had a later show (I think right after yours) and were also in line around Japan and had the stickers that didn't actually stick as well. I would say our seats were probably not too far from where you ended up, though we did get more in the center section but towards the back...and we did our best to avoid tree/pole seats but it wasn't easy. When they started telling people to move towards the center to make room for others...yeah we ignored that since we had a pretty good non-tree/pole spot and we had already somewhat warmed up the spots where we were sitting because...BRRR! I did enjoy Kurt Russell, but my FIL has said he felt Andy Garcia (who we saw years ago at our first CP) was better. Oh well. I'm still glad we did it again.

At least you didn't have a lady standing up AFTER the show started trying to flag down her 3 or 4 (not 28-30) family members for the area where she was sitting...yes AFTER the show was starting she was still on the phone, trying to call them, talking loudly, and the CM kept trying to tell her not to do that...she wasn't really listening. UGH!

Raeven likes this.
  11. bsj1701

bsj1701 Mouseketeer

Great report. Our trips overlapped and we also stayed at POP and saw the CP with Kurt Russell. Totally agree with the seating issue at CP. The dining package only gets you a seat, not a good seat. You need to be in line quite early even with a package if you want a chance at a decent seat. We saw the standby/non package line, OMG, I would never stand that long for anyone! We had a great time, it WAS unusually cold during our week there!

Raeven likes this.
  12. buzzrelly

buzzrelly DIS Veteran

I'm super late, but I'm here! And loving your TR and vlogs!

That meet with Nick Wilde was awesome! He looks like he's a lot of fun!

Cute couple, and your bangs look adorable!

I thought I was the only one watching those shows! I DVR Dr. Phil and JJ every day :rotfl:

Yikes…that makes me super nervous when they don't walk around :scared1:

Oh my gosh…I love this idea! I'm going to start adding it to my TR!

Those are super cute. I looked and looked for them in November but couldn't find them :sad1:

POP is my favorite value or place to stay for one night (although we are trying POFQ for the first time in April, so this may change). I really like to look of the new rooms, and I love the fact that they don't have carpeting :crazy2:

I'm off to start your dining report!

Raeven likes this.
  13. Raeven

Raeven Happiest Haunt

Thank you! Ooo I'd love to try out Riverside in the future we've never stayed there.

I actually thought I lost my sticker right as we were about to go in :rotfl: I was about to panic before a lady told me it was on my side, nowhere near where I had put it. I really wanted to sit in the center, but because I was filming I wanted a seat where I wasn't too far away or obstructed. We could've done the back of the center area, but I was afraid my camera wouldn't focus at all. The seat we had had a gap between rows because of the tree so it was like having no one in front of you, but it was also still a little farther away than my camera would like. Phone cameras aren't good enough for that or at least the older ones :laughing:
    There's way too many trees in there!

:rotfl:

Thank you! Wow what a coincidence! I knew Kurt Russell would be popular, but going from advice off the boards I was surprised that the line was so long so far ahead! There were so many lines around it was a bit confusing too. But they were all horribly long! Yeah it was a strangely cold week, it warmed up towards the end of our trip when we were in Universal, but that was the only time it was warm. But I'm glad we went during that cold week, and not the cold week they're having now! (Though it would be preferable to the cold we're having at home :rotfl:)

Not too late! Thanks for following along! And thank you!

It was! I love foxes so he's one of my favorite Disney characters, I'm always excited to meet him at the Christmas party, and then to have the meet be so awesome is a real bonus.

Aw thank you! I wasn't sure about the bangs when I first got them (although I had them a couple years ago), and planned to grow them out right away, but once my hairdresser trimmed them a bit shorter, I've really been enjoying them. Maybe I'll keep them for awhile.

:rotfl: We call daytime tv our "vacation shows", but sometimes I watch them at home too :thumbsup2 The court shows on tv are so hilarious sometimes. I watched one on the plane where the girl's roommate moved out and took her rent money for the last month but didn't pay the landlord and didn't tell her friend she was moving? She straight out was saying she did this, but seemed confused why it would be wrong. And she kept saying she told her, but then saying "well I didn't tell her". She obviously lost, and seemed very confused as to why :rotfl:

It wasn't too bumpy of a ride, but I couldn't see anything out my window so I figured the pilot was having trouble too.

:thumbsup2

I didn't think I was going to get them, but I couldn't resist. I didn't see them anywhere in Sep, but in Dec they were EVERYWHERE. Maybe we were there when they got a big shipment or something.

I love POFQ! I saw a lot of people complain about the hard floors, but I don't really have a problem with them changing to non carpeting.

:thumbsup2

buzzrelly likes this.
  14. Raeven

Raeven Happiest Haunt

So while our CP show was almost an hour, I cut it down to some musical highlights along with most the narration. Again I am sorry if the quality isn't great at some points, I'm planning on getting a better camera before the next trip!

MeghanEmily and saskdw like this.
  15. Kelly Anne

Kelly Anne Mouseketeer

Haven’t been on the dis boards in a while. Can’t wait to go back and read up on your trip. My family and I will be leaving at the end of this month, as it will probably be the last time in a few years as I’m pregnant and won’t be taking a baby to Disney. Even tho you can make memories, babies get cranky and sick and your memories could be crappy ones so I opt to wait.

Raeven likes this.
  16. Raeven

Raeven Happiest Haunt

Welcome back! Thanks for following along :wave:

Congrats! I totally understand why you'd want to wait, I hope your trip at the end of the month is great!

17. saskdw

saskdw DIS Veteran

I love Kurt Russell.

Thanks for posting that!

Raeven likes this.
  18. Raeven

Raeven Happiest Haunt

Day 2, Part 5-Sushi Socks for Sale

Now to wrap up our first full day!

After watching the CP, we stopped in Japan where Josh found a bigger Zen garden. Before we left I had given Josh a few birthday gifts (mostly clothes for the trip). Because we had decided most our Christmas and birthday gifts were the trip. I felt bad that I didn't have any fun gifts though so I asked him to pick out something on the trip! The Zen Garden wasn't really all that expensive so I planned to get him another gift while we were there. (I also didn't take any pictures of it because it was tightly wrapped up).

But here's some food socks! There's cupcake socks, sushi socks etc

[​IMG]

Too bad once you take them out of those shapes they probably aren't even half as fun looking.

[​IMG]

We left and headed towards France (it was too cold for us to stay outside). But all the shops were very crowded and there were some very rowdy people indulging in lots of wine outside the wine shop :drinking1. We decided to head into the movie in France which we've never watched. And I was able to complete my goal of getting this picture:

1994 vs 2017

[​IMG]

:rotfl:

After we had dinner at Chefs De France:

Chefs De France Review

We were way too cold to stay until the fireworks (or to stand outside watching them for that matter :rotfl:).

[​IMG]

So we headed to BC so we could catch an Uber to CSR.

[​IMG]
    (Aw they look like little peppers!)

CSR lobby:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We grabbed our luggage and went to try out declining the housekeeping for a gift card since we never really need it done. Declining housekeeping and getting the gift card was pretty easy. The CMs had never done this before because it was relatively new, but I didn't mind waiting. It's always hard to implement a new thing the first time. I know at my work it is because they leave you pages of instructions but you have no experience actually doing it. Jason and Brett were both very helpful, and it obviously worked because I received the email gift card shortly afterwards.

[​IMG]

We then took our bags and started the loooong walk to Ranchos.

[​IMG]

You see while my Touringplans fax worked great for Pop Century, it did the opposite at CSR. I wondered if it was because I booked through Orbitz or maybe the hotel really was that full, but every request I made I got the opposite of.

We had requested Cabanas (wanting a refurbed room), and got Ranchos (no refurbed rooms), we had requested a high floor and got ground floor, we had requested close to the main building and got literally the farthest building out. The only thing we kind of were was close to transportation, but almost every building there has transportation outside of it so it's kind of hard to be far away from it.

[​IMG]

But I will say the construction noise was barely noticeable, and the constructions buttons were so cute! @xlsm if we stay there again during construction (which I think we will be) I'm getting some for you!

[​IMG]

It wasn't too late when we got back to the room, but Josh had an important boxing match to watch that night anyway and we ended up being right on time for it. (He loves boxing, and apparently this was the biggest one or the one he cared about the most). All I know is the guy he was rooting for won really fast, and said something funny afterwards and everyone loved what he said and just kept repeating it. But a sports fan I am not :laughing: (Besides watching the occasional Mets game with my dad).

So since we didn't do much more that night I'll end this post with a story about terrible parenting. As we headed to our room we saw a mother and daughter coming back from the pool or hot tub...in their bathing suits...soaking wet...it was in the low 40's! :eek: I don't care if the pool is heated or they were hopefully in the hot tub! But...What! Why not even bring dry clothes? I was so puzzled by this! We were bundled up and literally freezing, I can't imagine how cold they were. :cold:

Miled walked: 7.7

Next up
    I'll post the last vlog for our day in Epcot & then we're off to AK on day 3!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  19. saskdw

saskdw DIS Veteran

We used Touring Plans room request for CSR our last stay there Dec. 2016 and got the exact room number we requested which was pretty cool. But that is my only experience with TP.

This was just before all the construction started. I'm guessing with 9B demolished, 2 buildings out of inventory for refurbishment, and conventions it's probably a little more challenging right now for them to honor room requests.

Raeven likes this.
  20. Raeven

Raeven Happiest Haunt

Same with us at Pop! We got exactly what we requested.

I know they're working with less buildings so that's a possibility. We did request a specific Cabanas building but it's possible they were all full. I'm also wondering if Disney bookings get priority with the requests vs ones made through Orbitz or another site because it wasn't just location we didn't get, but also any other requests we made.

saskdw likes this.
  21. StarWarsMomofGirls!

StarWarsMomofGirls! DIS Veteran

I wonder what they look like unraveled... Gwen got some little mis matched socks that looked like donuts and unrolled they were still cute. I will have to keep an eye out for them when we are there in Feb.

I love these kinds of photos! There are the best!

Raeven likes this.