L.A. traffic - just how bad is it?

OK, what I gather from everyone's posts is that the traffic is not all that different from here. We have rude drivers too and 70+ on the freeway is pretty much the norm during non-rush times. Regarding map services, does anyone really follow the directions that those things give? I mean, I can almost always find a better route than what they suggest. I'm a bit of a map dork, though. I'll use the map itself, but I don't need the text part telling me where to turn.

caimakale said:
I have also seen several accidents on the side of the road in southern cal that didn't stop traffic in the slightest bit.
:confused:

really? no one knows how to drive here in so cal. I commute 1.5 hrs to work each way and generally, regardless of day/time, people slow down when the road bends. Also, looky loos are pretty bad! Traffic shouldn't slow down for an accident on the OTHER SIDE of the freeway unless it is a car-b-que or there are body bags...just because the other side is stopped doesn't necessarily mean that there is something exciting going on...

caimakale said:
In Salt Lake, everybody and there dog has to come to a full stop to see the accident like it's any of their business and like them stopping to look is going to help things get better.
:rotfl:

meangreen - maybe you can google maps your route and one of us locals can tell you if that's really a good idea?

c

p.s. sometimes you'll get lucky and the freeways will be clear! I love driving when they are clear...I can get to work in a little over an hour...like Friday mornings are usually "friday light"

meangreen said:
OK, what I gather from everyone's posts is that the traffic is not all that different from here. We have rude drivers too and 70+ on the freeway is pretty much the norm during non-rush times. Regarding map services, does anyone really follow the directions that those things give? I mean, I can almost always find a better route than what they suggest. I'm a bit of a map dork, though. I'll use the map itself, but I don't need the text part telling me where to turn.

I think that's the right take on it - if you get stressed and think LA is horrible to drive in, then it probably will be for you because stressed drivers are not generally good drivers, you know? I've lived in both No. Cal & So. Cal for long periods of time, and the only big difference I notice is that some people in So. Cal do drive faster (I was always one of them - used to drive 80 to 85 to work everyday - now I'm older and more reasonable :) ). The key is not to worry about it - just drive.

I had to say, I agree with you on the map thing. We've had a couple people print directions to get to our neighborhood that tell them to go through a permanently closed gate (except for emergency vehicles). They would never find their way here off of those directions!

Traffic jams, accidents, it took us almost 2 hours to go about 2-3 miles one time.
Also the drivers, very aggressive, one cut us off so we tried to pass him. He basically just drove very fast, got infront of us, then slowed down so he was going 1/2 the speed of everyone else. After passing him, he pulled up to my fiance's side of the car (he was driving) and flipped him off.

We use the AAA triptik's. When we are ready to leave the maps are updated as to where construction is going on, etc. They can be customized to take any route that you want, with the stops you want. We also use a programable GPS that helps with time and distance. (Just makes traveling easier.)

Good driving,
Jack pirate:

Being a Kansas girl, which means we don't have too many freeways around and 10 miles = 10 minutes and that I could drive 20 to 30 miles without seeing another vehicle. I will say I have driven in Southern California many times and I don't think it's that bad. It's been a year since I was last in Southern California but we were staying at Huntington Beach and we had the opportunity to stay that visit for 2 weeks. DH was working and DD & I explored the LA area during the day with the rental car. We had a blast going to San Diego one day and a couple of trips up to Santa Barbara, Oxnard, etc. We were 14 miles from Disneyland and it did take us close to 30 to 40 minutes to get there, depending on the traffic.

I have driven in many cities and I will say that I thought traffic was worse in Miami and Houston (you'd better drive at least 90 mph in both cities or you will get ran over) then the LA region. Worst experience I ever had was downtown Chicago during rush hour (could have just been the day).

I will say that the traffic is extremely unpredictable in southern cal...well, the basic rush hour thing might take you triple the time(most extreme case), but once in awhile it will be fine...Otherwise the traffic might back up in the late night hours, or the middle of the day...
but I will say this...people drive really well. They are used to it, they are skilled...often times rushed but pretty curteous if you get in a wrong lane and try to fix it. I actually enjoy driving in LA
:hippie: :hippie: :hippie: :hippie:

Wasn't Tor Johnson a B movie actor who made movies with Bela Lagosi and produced by Ed Wood.

Jack pirate:

Plan nine from Outer Space was my biggest hit!! I died in the 70"s but I come back from time to time.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Great, I went to motion picture school at USC many,many years ago and this was a movie about how not to make a movie. Was voted worst picture of all time..just loved it.

Jack pirate:

thanks folks this thread has knocked my confidence no end.As well as having to drive on the wrong side of the road i got to put up with all the jams as well as DW looking at thing at the side of the road insted of navigating.Well i will just have to grin and bear it take it easy and not get flustered.Also can you undertake as well in californa like in florida (we are not alowed to do that or turn right on red wich would be left as we drive on opposite side of the rad to you)
Paulh

paulh said:
thanks folks this thread has knocked my confidence no end.As well as having to drive on the wrong side of the road i got to put up with all the jams as well as DW looking at thing at the side of the road insted of navigating.Well i will just have to grin and bear it take it easy and not get flustered.Also can you undertake as well in californa like in florida (we are not alowed to do that or turn right on red wich would be left as we drive on opposite side of the rad to you)
Paulh

Would you have prefered that we lied to you and told you that there is no traffic, no traffic jams and no rude drivers? And are you telling us there is no traffic, no traffic jams and no rude drivers where you live?

You will be fine. Don't attempt to go or leave LA at 4pm. If you do expect traffic. Everyone leaves work between 4pm and 6pm. If you're unsure of the freeways when you are on them stay to the right. It's really not that bad!

there is actually a musical based on the movie that was a big hit in LA ten years ago
(my alter ego, who uses my nAME AS A LOG IN, wrote the piece.)
but now I come back
to ride rides at disneyland and haunt the mansion

OK, I just took a look at our expected itenerary and looks like the only time we might have a conflict with rush hour traffic would be on a Friday evening. That day is supposed to be a "drive around and check things out" kind of day. We are going to try to go to Santa Monica, Venice, PCH and Hollywood that day. So, it really depends on where we happen to be at that time of day. Our other expected driving times are:

Friday, mid-morning: from SNA to Santa Monica/Venice.
Saturday, noon-ish: from LA to San Diego.
Mon. evening: San Diego to Anaheim. (we'll wait until after rush hour)
Thur., mid-afternoon: DL to SNA. (we need to be at SNA about 4p)

My recommendation for Friday would be this. Friday, mid-morning (9am and later) will not have much, if any rush hour traffic. If you can plan to be in one place, or plan a bunch of local places (like spend the time at 3rd Street Promonade in Santa Monica, or at the Hollywood and Highland complex in Hollywood) between 4pm and 7pm you'll be OK. Avoid the freeways from 4pm-7pm.

The streets in Santa Monica and Venice are also very narrow, so there will be a lot of traffic on those too. Watch out for 1-way streets and frequent stop signs. Also, the stop lights turn very quickly, always be prepared to stop.

meangreen said:
Friday, mid-morning: from SNA to Santa Monica/Venice.
Saturday, noon-ish: from LA to San Diego.
Mon. evening: San Diego to Anaheim. (we'll wait until after rush hour)
Thur., mid-afternoon: DL to SNA. (we need to be at SNA about 4p)

You can expect traffic on Saturday heading to San Diego too.

We were in La at the beginning of the month and driving was not as bad as I thought it would be. We drove to San Diego on tuesday at about 9:30 and returned about 4. There was some traffice but it was not the whole way. There seemed to be pockets of traffic and then it cleared.

The thing that got to me was the speed (if we went that fast here we would have been pulled over). Even the CHP goes fast. It seems that as long as you go with the flow you are OK. I was doing 80 and a chp officer passed me by - easy to do without realizing that you are going that fast. The other thing was the number of trucks! If there were 3 lanes - 2 had trucks in them..... The only lane that didn't ever have a truck in it was the far left. We also drove around LA on wed.

We had no one cut us off, etc. For the most, the drivers were pretty courteous - both the cars and trucks. Just know where you need to go and watch the signs.

I have been driving around Southern California for many years and the most important thing you need around here is confidence. Timid driviers are the BANE of my exsistance. Do not count on internet map sites to have accurate info - use a real map. And try turning on 1070am for traffic reports. Check the traffic report before you go. Plan on on extra drive time on week days during commute times and anytime near LAX. And expect people to drive close to you. What is tailgating in other places is considered normal here. Leaving lots of space between cars means that there is room for someone to pull in front of you. We are not all grumpy all of the time. Take a deep breath and enjoy the wild ride. :)

My family lives in the SF Bay Area. We like to leave for DL around 3:00pm on a weekday so we can avoid LA rush hour and get in around 9 or 10. Leaving around noon or 1 can put us in Anaheim the same time as leaving at 3:00 as rush hour can add at least an hour or two.

I grew up in LA/OC and learned to drive there. I agree with what most people are saying here, if you aren't sure where you are going, just stay to the right and you will be fine. Also, avoid rush hour like the plague - 6-9AM and 3:30 - 6:30P. I used to drive from OC to Universal Studios to work, it took me about 2.5 hours each way. If you must go somewhere during rush hour, just make sure you allow plenty of time!!!!! :moped:

If I may add one suggestion - rent a car with a GPS system - it will help you with directions and will at least take navigating off your mind and you can concentrate on the road and just do what the computer tells you to do. Relax, you'll be fine. :goodvibes :hug: :drive:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter