L.A. traffic - just how bad is it?

meangreen

Earning My Ears
I'm curious about getting around the L.A. area. I live in the DFW area, so I'm used to a lot of traffic, but is it exponentially worse in L.A.? Around here, no matter how bad the traffic is, is never takes longer than double the number of minutes to miles. In other words, unless there's a major accident or something, you'll never be worse off than, say, making 15 miles in 30 minutes, even at rush hour.

So, how does that compare to L.A. I mean, is it gonna take me 2.5 hours to get from the Santa Ana airport to Santa Monica (52 miles)? Is it going to take an hour to get from Santa Monica to Hollywood (13 miles)? Obviously, day of week and time of day are factors, but, in general, what am I looking at?

I've had a rental car the last two trips. I have not ventured out as far as you are going to. I would guess, that allowing double the minutes / miles would probably be about right for most trips.

The part that bothered me, when driving in the area, is how agressive the drivers are. They are not polite in any way, shape or form. I'm from Seattle. We are nice to other drivers around here.

Oh, and the freeway signs are HORRIBLE. Make sure you know exactly where you are going and what exit numbers you are looking for. The signs will NOT get you where you are going. Going to the airport on Sunday it said I needed to exit left for the 55 freeway. I got all the way over- the exit was not on the left it was on the RIGHT. The next exit I needed to take was for the airport. It said "airport next exit". The exit was right there after the sign, so I took it. They didnt mean that "next exit" they meant the one 2 exits up the freeway. It was crazy.

I forgot how traffic gets out there. I can give my dad a call, he lives out that way. I wouldn't mind knowing myself :) If you have something specific, PM me and I'll ask about it (he drives trucks, so he knows the high traffic areas well).

I know what you're saying about D/FW traffic! I just wish they'd put some camera's up between 635 and Lewisville so I can see just how bad the traffic is. Although they are going to be opening up more lanes it looks like right at the 121 by-pass any day now. That makes me happy, more traffic backing up at the Lewisville Lake bridge does not.

darren

ktulu said:
I forgot how traffic gets out there. I can give my dad a call, he lives out that way. I wouldn't mind knowing myself :) If you have something specific, PM me and I'll ask about it (he drives trucks, so he knows the high traffic areas well).

I know what you're saying about D/FW traffic! I just wish they'd put some camera's up between 635 and Lewisville so I can see just how bad the traffic is. Although they are going to be opening up more lanes it looks like right at the 121 by-pass any day now. That makes me happy, more traffic backing up at the Lewisville Lake bridge does not.

darren

From Lewisville, huh? I live in Coppell. I travel 121 to work in Frisco/Plano/Legacy area. What a beating.

hlbtimes2 said:
I've had a rental car the last two trips. I have not ventured out as far as you are going to. I would guess, that allowing double the minutes / miles would probably be about right for most trips.

The part that bothered me, when driving in the area, is how agressive the drivers are. They are not polite in any way, shape or form. I'm from Seattle. We are nice to other drivers around here.

Oh, and the freeway signs are HORRIBLE. Make sure you know exactly where you are going and what exit numbers you are looking for. The signs will NOT get you where you are going. Going to the airport on Sunday it said I needed to exit left for the 55 freeway. I got all the way over- the exit was not on the left it was on the RIGHT. The next exit I needed to take was for the airport. It said "airport next exit". The exit was right there after the sign, so I took it. They didnt mean that "next exit" they meant the one 2 exits up the freeway. It was crazy.

AGREED 100%. I was just there this past weekend, tried to follow the signs to Anaheim and after about 30 mins, nearly had to pay an $8.50 toll to get to Riverside (Which is about 50 miles the WRONG way)...luckily after 2 hours I found my way to my hotel room...but I avoided the freeways after that. The kind of driving was so bad I can't even explain it. At one point I was in one lane with a car directly next to mine and a motorcycle between us!!

Traffic can be horrible during rush hour traffic. On Good Friday, it took 4+ hours to travel 58 miles from Valencia (North of LA) to Long Beach. In comparison, I was in Burbank on Tuesday. Leaving at 6:40 pm, I made it 101 miles in under 2 hours.

When I use mapquest, I double the estimated time and am happy if it takes less than double.

I can speak from comparison. I travel to Dallas and LA for business! LA is absolutely the worst I can think of anywhere... except maybe some of D.C. LA rush hour starts earlier and lasts much longer than Dallas's. Put on your patience hat, have a full tank of gas, your favorite soft drink, and some good tunes. And your seat belt! :-)

Make friends with Google Maps. Avoid Mapquest like the plague.

It is all dependent on what time you go to how long it will take you. It could take you two hours to go to Santa Monica from Santa Ana if you left at 5pm on a week day. It could take you that long to get between Santa Monica and Hollywood too if there is an accident.

Freeway exits are all on the right. Sometimes the freeways split and it's a fork.

Some driving tips:

The carpool lane can be your friend or your worst enemy depending on traffic.

Stay out of the far right lane where all the new traffic merges into unless you want to go really slow. On that note, CA drivers go well over the speed limit if at all possible. if you want to go the speed limit or slower stay to the right. You will get run over if you are going the speed limit or slower and are in a left lane.

Merge before the quasi-lane ends. If you try and merge after the end it's going to be harder for you. Try and merge with the speed of traffic. If everyone is going 65 and you get on at 30 you're going to have problems.

There are toll roads but they are few and far between. There are none going from Orange County to Santa Monica or Hollywood.

WatchinCaptKangaroo said:
Make friends with Google Maps. Avoid Mapquest like the plague.

Freeway exits are all on the right. Sometimes the freeways split and it's a fork.

Stay out of the far right lane where all the new traffic merges into unless you want to go really slow. On that note, CA drivers go well over the speed limit if at all possible. if you want to go the speed limit or slower stay to the right. You will get run over if you are going the speed limit or slower and are in a left lane.

Not ALL the exits are on the right. I can think of a couple that are on the left, but they're rare and usually aren't streets where tourists want to get off the freeway.

Please, please, please pay attention to what WatchinCaptKangaroo has said about freeway speed. Onramps are designed to give you a chance to get up to freeway speed, before you merge on. Freeways don't slow down for you, you speed up for them! We do drive fast and we do drive agressively. Just stay in the slowest lane, don't try to regulate someone else's speed in the left lanes (meaning, don't get in that lane and refuse to move over, because the guy behind you is speeding and shouldn't be going that fast, anyway) and try to relax. You'll be fine. Make sure you have REAL maps, not just internet instructions. Double-check those web instructions against a paper map, so you'll know if things look right.

Travel times are usually okay, unless you're out during morning or evening rush hour. Weekends are usually great, except for some Saturday evening rush hour backup on certain freeways, but it's still not as bad as weekdays.

And, most important, if you realize you're in the wrong lane for your offramp or freeway interchange, STAY WHERE YOU ARE!! For the love of Pete, don't swerve across lanes to try to get where you need to be!!! Go past it, take the next offramp, cross under the freeway, take the onramp in the opposite direction and make your way from there. I see people swerving for an offramp all the time and it's extremely dangerous (and extremely stupid). Just play it cool.

Really, our freeways aren't so awful. Just take it easy and be smart and everything will work out fine for you. :sunny:

meangreen said:
Is it going to take an hour to get from Santa Monica to Hollywood (13 miles)?

Good example! My brother was coming home from a movie shoot yesterday in Santa Monica. He was on Santa Monica Blvd and decided to call me. We were on the phone for a 1/2 hour and he had barely moved a mile. I called him about an hour later to see what time he had gotten home. He was just walking in the door. He lives off of Santa Monica Blvd and Fairfax in West Hollywood. That was during rush hour.

Yes it gets crazy. I avoid the 101 freeway as much as possible when we are out there. That's a crazy freeway.

But, honestly I can flow with the traffic out there than what I can here at home. I hate using the freeways out here. YUK!

On a side note...

If you don't learn how to drive in LA it is awful... I refuse to let my husband drive when we come home for a vacation. He won't go as fast as everyone else. gets mad when someones cuts him off and drives me insane..

Basically, sit down, shut up and hold on..

Also about 90% of the time expect someone to run the red light. (after yours has already turned green)

Rapunsel
a former so. cal driver . Now a new york driver.. (not much change!)

Magix said:
Not ALL the exits are on the right. I can think of a couple that are on the left, but they're rare and usually aren't streets where tourists want to get off the freeway.

That's what I ment. Thanks :)

We do drive fast and we do drive agressively. Just stay in the slowest lane, don't try to regulate someone else's speed in the left lanes (meaning, don't get in that lane and refuse to move over, because the guy behind you is speeding and shouldn't be going that fast, anyway) and try to relax.

I can't emphasize this enough. Nothing is more aggrivating then to be crusing along at 75 and have someone get in front of me and going slow enough to make me have to hit my brakes and then decide that they are going to decide how fast I am going to go. If you don't have enough room to move over and speed up, you don't have enough room to move over.

Our freeways aren't that bad. I know I'm not doing much to make you think otherwise, I'm just trying to give you insight to how we drive in CA.

I can't emphasize this enough. Nothing is more aggrivating then to be crusing along at 75 and have someone get in front of me and going slow enough to make me have to hit my brakes and then decide that they are going to decide how fast I am going to go. If you don't have enough room to move over and speed up, you don't have enough room to move over.

Our freeways aren't that bad. I know I'm not doing much to make you think otherwise, I'm just trying to give you insight to how we drive in CA.
I would like to know what your smokin while watchincaptkangaroo. Having gone to school in LA and having to go to SoCal on business and to see relatives over the last few years, you have to be blinded by the light. They are antiquated, poorly signed at best, drivers at discourteous and drive 20+ over the limit when they can, motorcycles weave in and out of vehicles and no cops in sight. You get around HongKong, Singapore, DC, and London easier than the LA basin. If there is an accident, god forbid, you could run to your destination quicker. Best advice..be patient and take your Ativan, you will need it.

Jack pirate:

I work and live in Orange County. I deal with the rush hour traffic on a daily basis. I travel to LA and Ventura counties on a regular basis. Unless you live here you really have no idea. The freeways have undergone major improvements. And yes, I can go 75 to and from work because I time it right. When I take the 5 up to the Valley I can go 75-80 on the weekends. Yes, we do go that fast. If you want to go 65 or slower stay to the right.

OP and anyone else who is from out of the area. Please don't listen to Jack Pirate. He really doesn't know what he is talking about. We're not that scary, the freeways aren't that bad. Yes, there are a lot of cars, and some drivers are jerks. Just pay attention to your surroundings, if you have room to move over, don't hesitate, just move.

I love driving in southern Cal. I can deal with traffic jams better than I can deal with the idiot who drives 5 mph UNDER the speed limit in the far left lane! People drive very fast there and I am no exception. I have also seen several accidents on the side of the road in southern cal that didn't stop traffic in the slightest bit. In Salt Lake, everybody and there dog has to come to a full stop to see the accident like it's any of their business and like them stopping to look is going to help things get better. I hope the california driving skills make their way a little northeast :)

Ah, fellow southern Californians defending our freeways! :) I agree -- they really aren't that bad at all once you get used to them.

I've lived on the east coast (Massachusetts) and the Midwest (Minnesota) and now in LA for almost 2 years and I love it here! I have no intention of ever living anywhere else. As for the freeways -- yes there is a lot of traffic. There are also a lot of LANES -- 5 to 7 on most freeways. So here's my advice: make use of all those lanes. If you're not positive where you are going, stay towards the right or the middle, since you will be looking for an exit. I do agree that the signage is rather lacking. Sorry about that! But, on the other hand, I don't agree that other drivers are mean out here. Actually, I found the drivers around Minneapolis and St. Paul to be nasty and SCARY -- that whole "Minnesota Nice" thing goes right out the window when they are driving. The point is, it's a fast moving city where everyone has somewhere to get to, and we all know everyone else has to get there too. So for the most part, I think people will help you out unless you try to do something completely aggravating or stupid (like swerve across lanes).

So yeah -- relax, sit back, and drive. It will be okay.

Oh and yes -- expect motorcycles to ride the lane lines on the highway and fly by you. That's what they do -- even cops! Just take comfort in knowing that if one of you panics, you, in the car, are going to win that battle!

Ariel :)

When I turned 16 and started driving the freeways, my dad gave me a piece of advice. "Pick a lane, preferably neither the far left nor far right, and stick with it." Not trying to save a few minutes by weaving in and out of traffic can really reduce the stress of driving the freeways in a strange place. Plus, you have time to watch the other guy and look for your exit. Do I still follow his advice 20+ years later? Uh, nope (sorry, dad). I do still "pick my lane" when I'm driving in an area I'm not familiar with. Just give yourself plenty of time and remember that the rest of us aren't on vacation. That should give you a smile :cool1:

The post was not meant to scare people away, just to say that LA freeways are a much different driving experience than most of the rest of the world. Many people to not have the temperment deal with the traffic or the rudeness of many of the people.(Not all) LA has never kept up with the population expansion, but they are not alone. If folks are used to driving in the larger metro areas then they should have no problem driving in the LA basin. But to say the LA freeways are just fine or fun to drive on is deceiving people about the traffic unless you are a cast member of "Need for Speed."
So enough said, You all have a great day in the basin. It is a wonderful place to visit.

Jack pirate:

meangreen said:
From Lewisville, huh? I live in Coppell. I travel 121 to work in Frisco/Plano/Legacy area. What a beating.

Yep! 121 is a beating. I had to take my Jeep to the bankston dealership for some work, had to go during rush hour. Did the same thing 6 days later to pick it up. Based on your name, did you attend UNT? My graduated from there in 2000 (i think 2000 doh!)

darren

ktulu said:
Yep! 121 is a beating. I had to take my Jeep to the bankston dealership for some work, had to go during rush hour. Did the same thing 6 days later to pick it up. Based on your name, did you attend UNT? My graduated from there in 2000 (i think 2000 doh!)

darren

Yes, but it wasn't called UNT when I was there. I graduated in '86. I'm a long time fb season ticket holder. Go Mean Green!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter