(Lack of) Value Resort availability in June - something to read into?

jbock

Mouseketeer
I have existing reservations 6/20-6/28 and have been looking now and then to see if something better/cheaper shows up. I have just noticed that for that week, in terms of budgets only AoA has availability during that time - POR, CSR, and CB + all budgets not AoA have no availability. Less than a week ago they ALL had avail. Based on theories about slow openings, I wonder if they are not opening up? Alternatively, it could be they're actually just filled. But what's the fun in thinking that when you are distracting yourself by constantly wondering if your June trip will still be a-go.

@holden I hope you're wrong. I wouldn't bet against you though. Update: I looked again just now and more things were available, so maybe Disney was doing some updating of inventory or something when I happened to look. I think I need to go back to work. (I would normally have not had time for jumping to conclusions with very little data on a Thursday afternoon....)

With full disclosure that anything this far out is just speculation, I'm going with some type of opening by June. Pete mentioned this in one of the podcasts as well, the June 1 date must have come from somewhere. A billion dollar company doesn't announce these things without doing research. I wondered if they would do something like open the parks to just the resort guests as a soft opening, then heard someone else on a podcast mention the same thing. Seems to be a popular idea. That in conjunction with COVID numbers starting to slow in certain areas (I'm in NY, we hear all the numbers every day), my uneducated guess is something in June. I did see they still have flower and garden events posted on the June 2nd - June 6th calendar, which seems like a stretch to me.

One comment on availability. We booked for June 2 - 7th. I needed to have a cast member help me via phone because they had not updated availability on the website. There was availability in every room category at CBR even though it wasn't on the website. Doesn't look like the site has been updated.

To be completely honest? I think its just all the reschedulers.
Those are the most popular options for familes and first time visitors due to their attractive price point. You throw in free dining and people hop on that like pigs on slop.
Plus with CBR, AoA, and POP on the skyliner now? No brainer.
Plus I believe many cheer And dance conferences (who stay at all stars) have been pushed back to June.

Yep cheer and dance competitions that were to be in May have been pushed to mid/late June. Generally they give them a huge block of rooms at a few resorts but with the cancellation they may have been scrambling to give them what they need. They are making a decision at the end of April if they will hold the events or not at all so rooms may open back up if they completely cancel.

FPs are very hard to find in June as well. There's no grand plot by Disney. People just pushed their cancelled vacations to the nearest date they could. Because of this June quickly filled up. If Disney does open by then I think a lot of those people will cancel.

With full disclosure that anything this far out is just speculation, I'm going with some type of opening by June. Pete mentioned this in one of the podcasts as well, the June 1 date must have come from somewhere. A billion dollar company doesn't announce these things without doing research. I wondered if they would do something like open the parks to just the resort guests as a soft opening, then heard someone else on a podcast mention the same thing. Seems to be a popular idea. That in conjunction with COVID numbers starting to slow in certain areas (I'm in NY, we hear all the numbers every day), my uneducated guess is something in June. I did see they still have flower and garden events posted on the June 2nd - June 6th calendar, which seems like a stretch to me.

One comment on availability. We booked for June 2 - 7th. I needed to have a cast member help me via phone because they had not updated availability on the website. There was availability in every room category at CBR even though it wasn't on the website. Doesn't look like the site has been updated.
I thought flower and garden ended junw 1st? Is that not right?

Well, at least from St. Louis, Southwest Airlines has cancelled almost all direct flights to Orlando through June 29. I think that's a pretty good indicator that at least Southwest doesn't think the theme parks will be open in June.

Well, at least from St. Louis, Southwest Airlines has cancelled almost all direct flights to Orlando through June 29. I think that's a pretty good indicator that at least Southwest doesn't think the theme parks will be open in June.
That’s odd. My SW flight from Atlanta is still going in June. At least, it is as of today.
I have a friend who works at the Panama City Beach airport and she says SW has cancelled practically no flights, even when flights were coming in with only two people on them.

Hmmm...that's so odd. I don't think they had the flower and garden stuff on the wrong dates before. So weird.

Right!?!? I understand that EVERYTHING about life is up in the air right now. Still something like the events calendar that can lead to so much speculation and confusion. It seems like that would be a very easy thing to either take down until there are firm dates, or at least trim back. Seemed very strange.

It's on the WDW hours and events calendar. I'm using this as an example of the website not being up to date, not that I believe the Flower and Garden will be extended.

If you look at 6/1/20 (the last day of the festival) and 6/2/20 side by side, it's clear that Flower and Garden festival activities are still scheduled to end on 06/1/2020. It's probably just the way the calendar is designed that the headers are consistent throughout the entire six months and if there is no event for a certain header, the results underneath are blank. They do list the Behind the Seeds tour, but this isn't really part of the festival and available year-round.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/calendars/five-day/2020-06-01/

SW has only changed the times of our roundtrip non stop flights out of NY for our mid June trip
JetBlue has reduced the number of flights from Syracuse to MCO but a silver lining is they brought back an AM direct flight out and a direct PM flight back. Those flights are so convenient! Now all we need is to be able to go...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter