Land Border Opening?

Yes, but you do need a negative COVID test to fly into the US. My concern would be we get to the Buffalo airport, they see that we are Canadians and ask for our negative COVID test. I need to look into this a little more and it may be wise for us to just get it done at Shopper’s just in case. I will keep you all posted on my journey.

Yes, but you do need a negative COVID test to fly into the US. My concern would be we get to the Buffalo airport, they see that we are Canadians and ask for our negative COVID test. I need to look into this a little more and it may be wise for us to just get it done at Shopper’s just in case. I will keep you all posted on my journey.

Once you’re in the US you’re dealing with TSA and the airline, not CBP and requirements for entry to the US.

If the TSA does not require negative tests for domestic flights, there’s no need to provide a negative result. They aren’t going to only require it of foreign nationals.

They don't care once you are in the US. They wouldn't know unless you told them if you've been there 4 minutes or 4 months.

Yeah, I guess because Canada still has a travel advisory to avoid all non-essential travel outside of Canada, they’re not looking to make it much easier for casual trips. They may keep it this way to limit non-essential traveling until they are ready to lift that advisory
If we wait til they fully lift that… well might be waiting a long time.
Canada’s health minister said the other day the advisory is there as covid is still ramped “parts of the world”.
It is my hope that they update this advisory soon based on which country you are traveling to/from. Not holding my breath though. Luckily it’s just an advisory.
We are fully vaccinated and travelling is our getting back to normal and living our lives.
All in all, this is amazing news still! Land border open, no tests to drive to USA, mixed vaccines accepted… all of it is great news.

Last edited:
Like with Canada opening the border to vaxxed Americans, keeping the testing requirement means effectively this change means a lot less than what people think.

There was the hope in border cities that when we allowed Americans in they would resume day/weekend trips and boost the local economies. But the expense and hassle of the tests proved a real deterrent. I think that will be the case here as well.

Don't get me wrong - this is exciting - but it's not like my sister in Windsor can now just pop over to visit our brother in Detroit for lunch. But what really irks me is those in charge glibly offering the option of "testing in Canada and using the results to return on trips of less than 72 hours".

Lets walk through that process. First, you need a molecular test to return - that means the $140- PCR test, not the cheapo Rapid Antigen you can get here at Shoppers to enter the US by plane. Those PCR results often take 48-72 hours. Which means effectively you either pay for the tests and wait for the results, hoping you get them with enough time left over for a day trip, or take the test, drive into the States without knowing the results, and stay there long enough to get the results, not knowing exactly how long that will take. Huh? How is any of that doable in a way that makes sense for a short trip?

Answer is - it doesn't. The testing in Canada option, unless I'm missing something, is simply not practical. Now maybe if they allowed the Rapid tests, sure.

Only way I can see me driving to see my brother for an afternoon would be to try to find a Walgreens somewhere near his place that offers the NAAT test and hope they have appointments available on a day I want to go. Then drive there first, get the test, go visit, and hope the results come back in an hour or two.

I don't know about anyone else, but that does not sound like a relaxing day to me. As long as the current testing requirements stay in place, the land border opening will only really help longer trips that justify all the hoops.

Canadians need to contact their MP's to have their voices heard on the testing to return back home. I've emailed my MP. If we do not have our voices heard, not much changes.

Great idea! Can I ask what you said?

I said what some have said here, and what I have heard on many radio programs and read on the news. I didn't agree with MP Bill Blair advising Canadians who are planning on a short vehicle trip or to cross the border for the day, how a Canadian should get tested here in Canada, and use those test results to return. How on earth does that show if a returning Canadian was exposed to the virus while they were across the border? I shared my personal experience regarding the cost of an average family has to experience paying out for the PCR Tests, and how I felt it was a burden for fully vaccinated Canadians having to pay for this expensive testing for just a few hours by travelling by vehicle. I wrote that the messaging coming from our officials was mixed and they should reevaluate the purpose of asking fully vaccinated Canadians to take this expensive and intrusive testing, or to see if there are other tests that other jurisdictions are using around the world like the rapid antigen test when it comes to our land border with the US.

I did email my MP back on Friday and have not heard anything, not even one of those generic emails saying my email was received. I don't expect to hear back from previous experience but at least I shared my views and my own experience.

I emailed my MP yesterday after watching Bill Blair over & over on CP24.
I kept it pretty simple.. I asked how having a covid test at home in Canada prior to a day trip to the US is going to tell anyone if an exposure on that day trip to the US has possibly infected me with Covid? (which I could then be carrying back into Canada). Also, testing in the US on a day trip to return the same or next day wouldn’t make much of a difference either - that test would likely be a false negative (too early to be detected) even if I’d picked up the virus while there.

I emailed my MP yesterday after watching Bill Blair over & over on CP24.
I kept it pretty simple.. I asked how having a covid test at home in Canada prior to a day trip to the US is going to tell anyone if an exposure on that day trip to the US has possibly infected me with Covid? (which I could then be carrying back into Canada). Also, testing in the US on a day trip to return the same or next day wouldn’t make much of a difference either - that test would likely be a false negative (too early to be detected) even if I’d picked up the virus while there.
That is such a good point about a same day trip test in the US, it would be to soon to test if one had been exposed during their time there. I didn't think to include that in my email. That is a great point!!

I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't think we're ready to fully drop testing yet. I do think the rules should be changed so that no test is required for land crossings that are less than 72hrs and antigen testing for vaccinated travelers.

I think a smart, cautious next-step would be providing take-home tests upon arrival. Positive cases can then isolate at home, rather than face the prospect of being stuck abroad.

I agree with previous comments on testing. I think it's a reasonable compromise to look at a rapid test option for those who are vaccinated. The PCR test requirement is definitely keeping us from travel at this stage. Also agree that some level of testing is still needed.

I would love if fully vaccinated Canadians took a rapid test on arrival, either by land or air. That would make travel so much easier.
What does that really accomplish though, now all those people who might’ve tested positive 3 days before have been in a plane with everyone else.
Airports are also already a disaster without adding testing. Logistically, there’s no way they’d be able to do that.

What does that really accomplish though, now all those people who might’ve tested positive 3 days before have been in a plane with everyone else.
Airports are also already a disaster without adding testing. Logistically, there’s no way they’d be able to do that.
If you're on an airplane right now, you're accepting a certain level of inherent risk. That risk is further reduced when 100% of passengers are vaccinated. Even prior to mandatory vaccines, the stats on pre-arrival positive tests from Feb-July is only 0.2%. Take-home tests would help prevent community spread in the unlikely event of a positive test, and would allow vaccinated folks who choose to travel to do so confidently, knowing that they can return to Canada.

Agree with @2Lunds … I think the government’s real concern is that I bring COVID back from Florida and spread it to my community. A rapid test for fully vaccinated travellers is an easy and quick way to keep that in check.

If you're on an airplane right now, you're accepting a certain level of inherent risk. That risk is further reduced when 100% of passengers are vaccinated. Even prior to mandatory vaccines, the stats on pre-arrival positive tests from Feb-July is only 0.2%. Take-home tests would help prevent community spread in the unlikely event of a positive test, and would allow vaccinated folks who choose to travel to do so confidently, knowing that they can return to Canada.

I would even up that ante and have tests upon arrival and tests 3 days later at home. I'd be perfectly fine with that.

That would protect way more people than the 3 day testing does now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter