language or a food thats distinctive to your area

The Texas traditions of BBQ and Tex Mex but most people don't know about our Czech heritage. Most of the donut shops are locally owned by Asian immigrant families who adapted the local Czech tradition of sausage kolaches into sausage rolls. My favorite local shop has on their menu: small and large jalapeno sausage rolls, croissant sausage rolls, croissant sausage rolls with bacon on top and cheese stuffed sausage. These are all in addition to the traditional small and large plain sausage rolls. You may have had a sausage roll at Quick Trip but they in no way compare to ones at the local donut shops.
I think I at a kolach every day when we lived in TX!

Here, where I am in upstate NY we have Stewart's Ice Cream(and their hard rolls) and "Tomato Pie"... So good if the sauce and crust are right.
up-8QMABAG1VI8P5SKC.jpg

Being from Saskatchewan originally, I have way too many "crazy" terms to list them all. I definitely use the word runners. We used to say, "Do your want a Coke? What kind?" because "coke" implied any kind of soft drink. Other words I continue to use in the US, which sometimes result in sideways looks from people:
  • bunnyhug (a hooded sweatshirt...this is almost predominantly a regional Saskatchewan word. When I was a kid, my mom also referred to it as a kangaroo jacket)
  • tea towel (dish towel)
  • squares (any bar cookie that you cut into a square shape like brownies, lemon bars, date bars, etc.)
  • ghost car (unmarked police vehicle)
  • pylon (traffic cone)
  • parkade (a parking garage)
  • garburator (garbage disposal)
  • serviette (napkin)
Words I have come across in the different areas that we have lived around the U.S. include terms like "hot dish" from a friend who originated in Minnesota for what I would call a casserole and "carriage" referring to a shopping cart in Massachusetts.

Also, the one word that drives me absolutely crazy is when people pronounce the word "sorry" as "sar-ee." Definitely a regional thing for where we currently live. A friend of mine who is a speech therapist pronounces it like that and she is a stickler for good pronunciation. I asked her one time why she would pronounce all of her words as they sound out with the exception of that one word and she wasn't really sure, but agreed that the "or" should definitely not be saying "ar." Being Canadian, the word "sorry" plays a big part in our vocabulary, so we want to be sure it is being spoken correctly...or so the stereotype would dictate, anyway. :duck:

Some people refer to a knitted hat as a gubalini. Our HS doesn't offer French, but Italian is offered starting in middle school, and it's the only language offered in elementary.

Jo Jo,s, I love them but talking to some friends out of state they look at me like I have two heads

A high school friend of mine just made a post on Facebook last night about how excited she was that she found her 1st Jo Jos since moving to Florida

Taylor ham (pork roll)
Disco fries?
Fat sandwich
Sloppy joe (not what you are thinking)
http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/new-jersey-sloppy-joe.html
Black and white cookies

Another Jersey vote here.

As for that footwear, as a generic whole they're called sneakers. They're also called by specific names for specific functions - running shoes, cross trainers, tennis shoes, etc. Those canvas ones are often called by their brand names - keds, Chuck Taylor's, vans, etc.

It looks like scrapple, which is very popular in this area
View attachment 168332

woooo, that's really big lol

Oh scrapple.
I went out for breakfast in NC. Saw scrapple on the menu so asked about it. The response I got was
" If you have to ask what is it, you won't like it"

For a food, I guess bulkies would be something that distinctive to my area. They are rolls from the bakery, almost like kaisher rolls but a little different.

Pizza is a pie "large pie"
Never say cheese pizza ... it is redundant

It is a meatball hero...not a sub

Its not really distinctive of our area but we do have a large Mexican population which means we are lucky enough to have quite a few very good authentic Mexican restaurants, not the American version of Mexican food.

When you order food to take home....
it is "take-out" not "carry-out" or any other version

Sneakers are sneakers!

Doughnuts

I know maple longjohn, but is a double-double chocolate on chocolate?
Good guess. A maple longjohn is a stick-shaped doughnut with maple glaze. A double-double is practically the national beverage of Canada (sorry Molson's :() and it is a coffee with 2 cream and 2 sugar.

Shall we meet at Timmy's later?
LOL - call me the next time you're up this way...:thumbsup2 Actually, contrary to the proof of my passport that I actually AM Canadian, I hate Tim Horton's. I'm not a doughnut eater in general and my favourite take-out coffee comes from 7-11! So how about we meet at the 'Sev and I'll buy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter