language or a food thats distinctive to your area

What's mitten state? And the long ones with cream inside and chocolate on top are eclairs...round ones like that are called Boston Creams, round with jelly inside and sugar on the outside are Bismarks. I'm rambling again, aren't I...

Carry on...you're doing great! Just don't forget Crullers in your list...and toss in Timbits for good measure so we have all of the bases covered!

Carry on...you're doing great! Just don't forget Crullers in your list...and toss in Timbits for good measure so we have all of the bases covered!
You might need to jump in and help me describe a Cruller to anybody who's never tried one... "A round, fluted fried pastry that's sort of raw in the middle and crispy on the outside until it's dipped in a very wet sugar glaze and then the whole thing kind of implodes if it's more than about 4 minutes old". Sounds tempting, doesn't it! :rotfl2:

Oh well, it can't be any worse than beanless cinnamon chilli!

Don't even get me started on place names within Oregon constantly being mis-pronounced...Lake Oswego, Tigard, etc. There was an entire book in our public library called Ory-Gone and it had all of the place names with their proper pronunciations next to them.

I get it-it's always a tell that a new local newscaster isn't from around here because they slaughter the names of places. cant say as I blame them though-Pend Oreille does not look like it should be pronounced as pawn-do-ray.

I get it-it's always a tell that a new local newscaster isn't from around here because they slaughter the names of places. cant say as I blame them though-Pend Oreille does not look like it should be pronounced as pawn-do-ray.

And what about Puyallup? My husband and I always used to joke about how the place maybe got its name when somebody said, "Grab onto this here rope and I'll pull ya' all up!"

:rotfl2:Try googling "Core De Lane" if you don't know the correct spelling!

You might need to jump in and help me describe a Cruller to anybody who's never tried one... "A round, fluted fried pastry that's sort of raw in the middle and crispy on the outside until it's dipped in a very wet sugar glaze and then the whole thing kind of implodes if it's more than about 4 minutes old". Sounds tempting, doesn't it! :rotfl2:

Crullers were always my mom's absolute favourite...a cruller for her and a "maple bar" (longjohn!!!) for me. I have never heard them described quite like that before, though they are much more fancy/classy-looking than your standard round doughnut.

Oh well, it can't be any worse than beanless cinnamon chilli!
Are they regional? Our bakeries sell them, even Dunkin.

Are they regional? Our bakeries sell them, even Dunkin.

No, I don't think they are regional. I think a lot of places sell them. I only mentioned them because we were in the process of listing every fried dough product and its variations.

We have feeders. They are called frontage roads in other areas and some places don't have them at all. It is the road right next to the freeway.

How about the bubbler imnot sure if it's a Midwestern term or just WI. Most places call it a drinking fountain. When I was a kid we were on vacation in CO. My little brother needed a drink. So my mom asked a guy in the store if they had a bubbler talk about being looked at like you have 2heads

That is also a Massachusetts thing. I got strange looks all the time in college (I went to school in New York) when I would say it...

I can't believe no one from Pittsburgh posted yet!

Chippy Ham - Isaly's chipped ham, delicious!
Primanti's sandwich - has cole slaw and french fries ON the sandwich
Yinz - plural of you
Gum Bands - rubber bands
Pop - soda
And when a Pittsburgher gives directions, it usually includes "turn where XYZ used to be"

Now, if you want to hit on some regional foods from where I grew up (and other parts of Canada as well), we could start by listing Nanaimo bars, butter tarts, poutine (though lots of places in the U.S. are starting to jump on that bandwagon now), bannock, Goodhost Iced Tea (I import this stuff through my in-laws), Hickory Sticks (my personal favourites!), Saskatoon berry pie, and any number of other snack food items like Aero bars, Cheezies, Ketchup potato chips, etc. (some of which are cross-overs with the UK/Ireland.

No, I don't think they are regional. I think a lot of places sell them. I only mentioned them because we were in the process of listing every fried dough product and its variations.
Well, I can't remember the last time I had one (not big on donuts), but now I really wan one!

I can't believe no one from Pittsburgh posted yet!

Primanti's sandwich - has cole slaw and french fries ON the sandwich"

My boys go to school in Erie. My parents and I went to see them for Mother's Day. We ate there twice!

I live in East Central Indiana. Sugar cream pie and breaded pork tenderloins are local, if not regional.

Now, if you want to hit on some regional foods from where I grew up (and other parts of Canada as well), we could start by listing Nanaimo bars, butter tarts, poutine (though lots of places in the U.S. are starting to jump on that bandwagon now), bannock, Goodhost Iced Tea (I import this stuff through my in-laws), Hickory Sticks (my personal favourites!), Saskatoon berry pie, and any number of other snack food items like Aero bars, Cheezies, Ketchup potato chips, etc. (some of which are cross-overs with the UK/Ireland.
I was going to mention Saskatoons but didn't think there would be ANYBODY that would know what I was talking about. Just like the doughnuts, I don't even really like Saskatoons but for sure, nothing else quite says "Canadian Prairies" like they do.

We have regional things like breaded tenderloins, pizza king, elephant ears and manhattens. Then we have local things like Rickers pop and concannons.

I always forget about sugar cream pie, if I ever move, someone will have to send me a wicks one for the holidays!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter