Language Tests?

christiemarsh88

CP--Fall 2009 Merchandise
I was just wondering if anyone here had taken the language test for CMs/CPs (The one that gets you the pin showing you speak a language besides English). When is the test administered? Is it oral or written? Any information would be helpful! Thanks!

I was just wondering if anyone here had taken the language test for CMs/CPs (The one that gets you the pin showing you speak a language besides English). When is the test administered? Is it oral or written? Any information would be helpful! Thanks!

i've been wondering about this too. i speak another language but can't read and/or write in that language. would i still be able to take a test for it? are there specific languages disney has tests for can you be tested in any language?

The Language Pin programme allows Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Cast Members at both the Disneyland Resort and the Walt Disney World Resort to identify themselves as speaking Languages in addition to English through specially-designed flags on their nametags. This is a great convenience to our non-English speaking Guests.

Administered through the College and International Programmes Office at Epcot at the Walt Disney World Resort, Language Pins are available for the following languages:
  • Afrikaans
  • American Sign Language
  • Arabic (العربية)
  • Bemba
  • Chichewa
  • Chinese (汉语/漢語)
    • Cantonese (粵語)
    • Mandarin (官话/官話)
  • Croatian (Hrvatski)
  • Danish (Dansk)
  • Dutch (Nederlands)
  • French (Français)
  • Gaelic (Gaeilge/Gàidhlig/Gaelg)
  • German (Deutsch)
  • Greek (ελληνικά)
  • Haitian Creole (Kreyòl)
  • Hebrew (עִבְרִית)
  • Hindi (हिन्दी)
  • Indonesian (Bahasa Indonesia)
  • Italian (Italiano)
  • Japanese (日本語)
  • Lithuanian (Lietuvių)
  • Nepali (नेपाली)
  • Northern Ndebele (Sindebele)
  • Norwegian (Norsk)
  • Portugese (Português)
  • Punjabi (پنجابی/ਪੰਜਾਬੀ)
  • Romanian (Română)
  • Russian (Русский)
  • Shona
  • Spanish (Español/Castellano)
  • Swedish (Svenska)
  • Tagalog
  • Thai (ไทย)
  • Turkish (Türkçe)
  • Tswana (Setswana)
  • Urdu (اردو)
  • Vietnamese (Tiếng Việt)
  • Welsh (Cymraeg)
  • Zulu (isiZulu)

Instructions on how to apply for a Language Pin are available to Cast Members through internal company sources. Most languages will only require an oral examination, conducted over the telephone.

For obvious reasons, American Sign Language proficiency must be tested through a scheduled appointment.

It's been a while since I took my Language Pin test (French), but I remember that they weren't really looking for fluency. It was more whether or not you were able to give basic instructions to Guests in a manner that keeps with Disney Show and Courtesy Guidelines. Among the questions I remember them asking:
  • Where is the nearest restroom?
  • What do you serve at this restaurant?
  • Please describe the story of Beauty and the Beast.

It's oral and over the phone. Once you get there, just ask your manager about it and she'll/he'll put it together for you. I've heard it's very simple and basic ('where is the bathroom', etc) You don't need to be able to read or write in it, basically just get the message across to someone.

Disney has an extremely long list of languages it does, so I'm pretty sure any language you can speak would be on there.

A girl at my school I talked to, who did the CP, said she had only taken a couple semesters of French and still passed the test fine.

I hope to get the pin for ASL when I go back in Aug. I really hope I pass the test.

glendalais already posted the complete list ... I've been with the company for almost 5 years, and still have yet to meet anyone with some of the languages listed on there. (I think the most unusual combination of language pins I've seen was Zulu, Arabic, Russian, French, and ASL ... 5 is the most language pins you can have ... I've also seen Swedish, Norwegian, Dutch, and German all on one tag, but those tend to be more similar languages)

I took the test for German in January. I had to call on a certain day between certain hours, fortunately, it worked well with my Merchantainment class break schedule. There was someone who asked me a few questions about my location, name, hometown, then I was transferred to the test-giver. Mine was basically a chatty conversation about where/how I'd learned German, that I was here on a CP, etc. It probably was different b/c I'd grown up in Germany, so there was a bit more to chat about as opposed to making sure I could give directions, but that's how mine went down. Less than 5 minutes on the phone and I had my new nametag in about 10 days.

I'm gonna try the test for Spanish. I'm a bit rusty, and generally don't do well with hearing others speak. I can speak, read, and write just fine, but hearing it is where I screw up. I'll try anyway though.

I definitely want to try taking to test for spanish too. I'm more of a writing but its not like they charge you to give it a try.

the language test doesn't sound too bad. thought it was going to be more complicated. but unfortunately the language i speak isn't on the list that glendalais posted.

the language test doesn't sound too bad. thought it was going to be more complicated. but unfortunately the language i speak isn't on the list that glendalais posted.

Seriously, what could they possibly have missed (other than Korean)? Do you speak Klingon?

Seriously?? What language is that?

Does anyone know how comprehensive the ASL test is? I know a lot of basics, but am no expert.

I've heard you just have to be conversational in the language. I hope to find out from my friend how hard the test is (she said she probably will be taking the test when she goes down later in May).

I've heard you just have to be conversational in the language. I hope to find out from my friend how hard the test is (she said she probably will be taking the test when she goes down later in May).

There are whole different levels of conversational in ASL. Even being an expert signer (as a hearing person) would probably mean it would be difficult to keep up with deaf individual. One of the tutorials online I frequent has four different skill levels; Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and Deaf! I would be really interested from your friend what the test is like so I can prepare accordingly. If it's basic directions and stuff I think I should do fine, but I am no interpreter.

There are whole different levels of conversational in ASL. Even being an expert signer (as a hearing person) would probably mean it would be difficult to keep up with deaf individual. One of the tutorials online I frequent has four different skill levels; Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and Deaf! I would be really interested from your friend what the test is like so I can prepare accordingly. If it's basic directions and stuff I think I should do fine, but I am no interpreter.

Ooo, what tutorial is that? Could I get the link?

Well now inquiring minds want to know...what language do you speak MaryPoppins86? :)

Yeah, I'm super curious about that now!

Seriously, what could they possibly have missed (other than Korean)? Do you speak Klingon?

no

Seriously?? What language is that?

sorry i have i couldn't answer quick. been super busy. i speak Twi (pronounced "tree). it's a Ghanain language.

Wow. And, if it's not being too personal, how did you learn to speek Twi? Did you live in Ghana? That's really cool that you speak such a unique language!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter