Larger stroller or some other option?

storey13

Mouseketeer
I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, but I thought maybe someone in the disabilities might have a good idea.

We are leaving for WDW in 9 days, and I normally bring a Baby Jogger City Mini GT double stroller for my two youngest daughters. It has been a couple of years since we've used the stroller, and the 9 year old doesn't fit in it anymore. The 7 year old fits okay. My 9 year old's Achilles muscles haven't grown properly, so she is unable to walk very much. After about 15 minutes, she needs to be strolled around the parks.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what and where to buy a double stroller or perhaps some kind of other device that would fit both of my daughters to where I can push them at the same time? The 7 year old also wears out, but she is able to last a bit longer, but gets jealous that the 9 year old gets pushed around, so need space for both. It also has to fit within WDW stroller size guidelines, or I suppose if it isn't a stroller, maybe that doesn't apply. My wife doesn't enjoy the parks as much as me and my daughters do, so it would need to be something where I can fit both of them, as I will be the only one to push them around.

Please help me out and perhaps some thinking outside the box is needed!

I'm thinking 15 minutes would hardly get her from the parking lot to the front gates, or from the bus to the castle. WDW is a lot of walking and kids who don't normally need strollers may need one at WDW. But I'm wondering if the doctor has any suggestions for strengthening her muscles or PT to work towards some longer walking distances. It took my DD years of PT to build up strength and stamina, and she still tires more quickly than most teens.

When my DD outgrew a standard stroller, we bought a Maclaren Major Elite -- which as a basic description it's a larger umbrella stroller. I think weight limit is 100 lbs or 115 lbs. I do recall seeing someone who may have custom-designed a connector, similar to what you might find for regular umbrella strollers to attached as a double. But this is a somewhat expensive stroller to simply buy 2. If the older child has a definite physical disability, it may be time for the younger one to learn that her older sister gets some accommodations. Maybe they can trade off who rides in a larger mobility stroller. And adjust your park touring to include more rest breaks for both kids.

I'm thinking 15 minutes would hardly get her from the parking lot to the front gates, or from the bus to the castle. WDW is a lot of walking and kids who don't normally need strollers may need one at WDW. But I'm wondering if the doctor has any suggestions for strengthening her muscles or PT to work towards some longer walking distances. It took my DD years of PT to build up strength and stamina, and she still tires more quickly than most teens.

When my DD outgrew a standard stroller, we bought a Maclaren Major Elite -- which as a basic description it's a larger umbrella stroller. I think weight limit is 100 lbs or 115 lbs. I do recall seeing someone who may have custom-designed a connector, similar to what you might find for regular umbrella strollers to attached as a double. But this is a somewhat expensive stroller to simply buy 2. If the older child has a definite physical disability, it may be time for the younger one to learn that her older sister gets some accommodations. Maybe they can trade off who rides in a larger mobility stroller. And adjust your park touring to include more rest breaks for both kids.
Thank you for mentioning the Maclaren. I'll check that out.

Yeah, she does PT and is improving, but it is slow process.

There really isn't anything that will fit two kids once they outgrow the city minis and double bobs. Some people will use stroller wagons but they are banned at Disney and very few medical exceptions are made. They don't look particularly comfortable for big kids anyways, but that's just my opinion. I wish there were, would make my life so much easier! You can have a double adaptive stroller custom made but that costs many thousands of dollars. When we go to Disney I have to bring a mother's helper along to help push one of my daughters chairs. When they were younger I would bring one of our babysitters, now I bring one of my older daughters friends. The teen girls I've brought as helpers don't charge me anything but are happy to be a pusher in exchange for a free trip to Disney. I cover all their expenses except souvenirs

What about renting a large wheelchair from an offsite vendor? Some of them can accommodate very obese adults and may be able to fit two youngsters.

Thank you for mentioning the Maclaren. I'll check that out.
I did some more digging, and unfortunately I cannot find the Maclaren Major Elite available for sale. You might find one used (that's how we purchased ours), or Orlando Medical Rentals lists it as a rental. I'm not really seeing a good option for a double special needs stroller.

Good luck. Life changes as our special kids grow and we have to adapt new ways of doing things.

What about renting a large wheelchair from an offsite vendor? Some of them can accommodate very obese adults and may be able to fit two youngsters.
My guess would be that the seating would be very uncomfortable for a child, as the proportions would be way off.

When my daughters were 2 and 8 I tried an extra wide adult wheelchair. Didn't work, they were too squished. Definitely wouldn't work for a 9 and 7 year old

I believe that "Boogie Boards", or similar devices that attach to strollers, are not allowed at Walt Disney World for safety reasons.

I did some more digging, and unfortunately I cannot find the Maclaren Major Elite available for sale. You might find one used (that's how we purchased ours), or Orlando Medical Rentals lists it as a rental. I'm not really seeing a good option for a double special needs stroller.

Good luck. Life changes as our special kids grow and we have to adapt new ways of doing things.
The Maclaren strollers were discontinued - I think in 2019 - because of finger pinch injuries because of how they folded
That particular stroller board is only up to 55 pounds. I didn't see a height, but it says starting at age 2 - I think most of those types of devices are 48 inches or less.
Whether or not guests would get stopped using it is questionable. I have seen people in the parks using them, but they also fit the definition of 'item pulled by a stroller' that is not allowed. I have seen a child fall off of one of them.
IMG_2789.jpeg

They are banned in disney. Also, we tried using one with our adaptive stroller and no matter where I attached it, it kept tipping backwards far enough to dump the standing child off. Not sure if you would have the same problem with a regular stroller, maybe it just wasn't compatible with our larger adaptive stroller

I don't of a company that has a stroller for 2 that would meet your needs. Most rent the same stroller you already have that you know is too small. I didn't find any doubles that were more than 50 pounds per side.
You might want to try Orlando Medical Rentals - they have a variety of single special needs strollers and might possibly have some out of the ordinary ideas.

A couple other things I thought of....

Disney World has a contract with Advent Health Care for health related services, including a concierge service for equipment rental. I don't know if they would have any ideas, but it's worth a try.
A wheelchair with 2 children is not going to be the most comfortable - most of the rental wheelchairs have a sling seat. Because it's flexible, the kids tend to 'sink' together toward the middle. Some of the rental companies rent either wheelchairs with padded seats or a seat cushion as an 'add on' accessory. Buena Vista offers a couple sizes of wheelchairs with padded seats. Don't know if it would work, but maybe

One thing I haven't tried yet is to get the tandem stroller kits that allow you to connect two strollers together to make it a double stroller. I'm going to try buying a kit and seeing if I can connect two adaptive strollers together. But I have no idea if they will work for the bigger strollers

One thing I haven't tried yet is to get the tandem stroller kits that allow you to connect two strollers together to make it a double stroller. I'm going to try buying a kit and seeing if I can connect two adaptive strollers together. But I have no idea if they will work for the bigger strollers
Will they exceed the size limit if you connect them together? If I recall, there are length and width restrictions on strollers. Even some of the standard doubles are too big.

Will they exceed the size limit if you connect them together? If I recall, there are length and width restrictions on strollers. Even some of the standard doubles are too big.
If I place both my convaids side by side they fit the size guidelines, but I'm not sure how much extra space the tandem connector adds, you are likely correct they will be too big connected together. And I don't think I would be able to maneuver them through the lines connected. I also suspect the connection might not be sturdy enough to be able to push them easily. But I went ahead and ordered the tandem adapter, it's the only thing I haven't tried. Will give it a try and report back if it works

Just throwing a crazy idea out there. What if you got a wheel chair , add an extra wide thick kneeling pad on top of the seat. Use something like 1 inch velcro straps to hold it in place to the wheel chair. This way you won't get the sling, squish two kids together motion. I'm thinking the thick foam pad would be firm enough to prevent that.

Yes, two strollers are better and all that, but if you can't find anything else, perhaps this will work.

Note, I have not tried this in real life, just thinking outside the box.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter