Larger villa type accommodations

CastAStone

Math and business nerd. Not an insider.
Let’s assume for all of our sake that this is a Post-COVID question and We will just push the trip a year if need be. No COVID in this thread.

I’m looking at a summer 2021 trip with extended fam. 3 days DLR, 4 days beach. There would be 4 sets of adults (and 3 LOs) so we’d want to stay in 4 rooms, preferably in a single unit, ideally with a full kitchen to save on costs. WDW has a million such properties but I’ve struggled to find anything walking distance to DLR. Other than the Grand Villas at VGC, which are absolutely outrageous, are there any suitable hotel accommodations nearby? Or at I looking at VRBOing a house nearby?

I can't think of any walking distance hotel accommodations that would offer 4 bedrooms. Several offer 2bedrooms + kitchen (Clementine and Residence Inn come to mind). Vacation rentals are under strict regulation in the area, so if you go that route, research the property thoroughly to be sure it's operating legally. Even then, most rental properties are not what I would consider walkable.

Would getting 4 suites in a nearby hotel be an option? Off the top of my head, I've heard of Howard johnson having large suites. They are in walking distance.

Would probably be a slightly further walk, but the Staybridge Suites on S Manchester also have large suites too, probably a bit cheaper still as they are a fair distance from DLR. Granted it is possible to walk from there to DLR as my wife and I regularly do; although I guess families with small children may have some difficulties there. They are on the ART routeing though, so the buses will help.

Will your little ones be old enough to use travel boosters? If so, that will allow your group to use Uber/Lyft, which would widen your search field a bit. 8 adults + 3 little ones = 11 total, right? The Desert Palms has a suite that sleeps 12, if that would be an option.

Worldmark Anaheim would have 4 bedrooms, but you'd likely need to rent from an owner who could make the reservation 13 months out. I think 13 months is the booking window for owners, but if you find an owner, they will know when to book it. Since you'd be booking a timeshare unit from an owner, you probably wouldn't be able to cancel or change your dates.

Another option is to get 2 two bedroom units that may or may not be adjoining. You can find those easily at either of the Homewood Suites in Anaheim or Marriott Residence Inn. All of those would have a full kitchen. The Homewood Suites will also have a hot full breakfast for free every day. I think you'll be looking at about a one mile from any of those.

Thank you all. The Worldmark is an interesting option although it looks exceptionally difficult to book. I don't consider that to be too far to walk, although I probably wouldn't want to walk any farther.

Unfortunately, Uber/Lyft is out. My Sister's kid is so tiny that even when she's 4 next summer I struggle to imagine cheating her into a booster.

It sounds like the next best option may just be a 2BR with full kitchen and then 2 studios at the Clementine? I like that they have a real oven and not just a cooktop. Google says 17 minute walk so that's manageable - we did a 13 minute walk coming from the Hyatt House pushing a stroller a couple years ago.

Much appreciated! Any other thoughts are still welcome!

Thank you all. The Worldmark is an interesting option although it looks exceptionally difficult to book. I don't consider that to be too far to walk, although I probably wouldn't want to walk any farther.

Unfortunately, Uber/Lyft is out. My Sister's kid is so tiny that even when she's 4 next summer I struggle to imagine cheating her into a booster.

It sounds like the next best option may just be a 2BR with full kitchen and then 2 studios at the Clementine? I like that they have a real oven and not just a cooktop. Google says 17 minute walk so that's manageable - we did a 13 minute walk coming from the Hyatt House pushing a stroller a couple years ago.

Some pros with the Clementine: If you choose to use the ART shuttles, you can use two different routes -- the one for the Clementine and the one for the Motel 6 next door. That way, you'll have two different schedules to adjust to your schedule -- miss one shuttle? Just grab the next one and walk over to your hotel. The Clementine is next to GardenWalk and all the restaurants there. You can order take out meals to eat back at your suite and keep any leftovers in your fridge. The staff at the Clementine is very friendly -- we've had great reports about them in the past. The Clementine used to be a Residence Inn.

I just booked 2 bedroom suites at the new Home2 Suites Hilton that is opening Fall/Winter of this year. It has a full kitchen (small but full) and each bedroom has 2 queens and a sofa bed in the living room, sleeps 10. I am not sure of the number of bathrooms yet. I got it for $215 a night with AAA. However it does say valet parking only at $22 a night. It says 15 min walk. It is located behind the Fairfield Inn and next to the Holiday Inn Express.

The Grand Legacy has 2 and 3 bedroom suites. No kitchens though. It looks like the residence inn at the convention center has 2 bedroom suites as well.

I'm not familiar with any 4 br suites in the area. Disneyland, unlike WDW, is in the heart of a major city without any open space around it, so all the fancy WDW accommodation options and vacation condos are just not possible. What is your price range? If you really want to be able to walk to the parks easily and you can afford it, I recommend staying at one of the suite hotels on Harbor, but no further south than Orangewood as the major cross street. I know you said HOTEL, but most of the hotels are pretty pricey in the summer. So, I'm going to throw a couple of MOTELS out there just in case you discover the hotels are too expensive for your family. If you're on a strict budget, you might try Anaheim Desert Inn and Suites. I haven't personally stayed there, but several people I know have and said that while it's a bit dated and not high end at all, it's way more affordable than other options and puts you practically across the street from the entrance to DL and DCA. You could get 2 2-BR suites for a fairly decent price, but they do not have a kitchen. Desert Palms also has a few options that might work, including at least 1 that does have a kitchen. It's a very...quirky hotel I'd say as I believe it used to be 2 hotels that got mashed together. But, if you aren't picky and won't be spending a ton of time in the hotel, it's an option.

Clementine is a nice option, too, and probably closest to vacation rentals in terms of feel, but remember that city blocks can be larger than they appear on maps, especially after walking 10 miles at Disneyland all day. If you aren't a big walker, I really don't recommend that one. Seriously, the walk back feels so much further than it actually is.

Last edited:
You might take a look at the Courtyard Theme Park Entrance. I absolutely love it - the rooms are larger, although they don't have a kitchen. It's a newer hotel and pricier than the other options (excluding DLH, GC, and PP), but I love the location (easy quick walk across Harbor Blvd) to the parks. It's my favorite non-Disney hotel. We've also never had any issues with Hyatt Place, but again, no kitchen although it does include complimentary breakfast if you are a Hyatt member. It's a farther walk, but we just walk across the street to the Toy Story Lot and hop on the Disney shuttle which drops us off at the parks.

If you decide you want to go with a rental house, I have one I can recommend. Totally legal and above board, right across the street from Holiday Inn & Suites Anaheim. We walked from there, but the HI is on the ART route so you could do that. One king bedroom, one queen bedroom, one with 2 queens (or might be 2 doubles, I can't remember now) and a bedroom with 4 bunkbeds for the kids.

Don’t forget the Embassy Suites on Harbor Blvd .
My favorite family place ...
I wonder if they are still serving breakfast and Happy Hour ?

Desert inn and suites is a pretty cost friendly suite and its one of the closest hotels to the park!!! Its not extravagant but its decent. It's our go to hotel.

2BR x2 VGC - nearly the same cost as the 3br and a lot more selection available to achieve. even a 2br+1br lockout is doable.

That said, think about the convention center suites next to toy story lot and take the shuttle from there. They were putting in new security there so maybe an option and easier on the feet at the end of the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter