Lasseter Taking Sabbatical over "Missteps"

I'm not ""defending" him, I'm just not insisting on his immediate firing like you are without knowing all the facts.

A number of folks come forward doesn't sway you? You're probably one of those "she had it coming" types. Good luck to you, I'm out with you.

Wow.

That was really uncalled for. I'm glad you're "out" with me.
I'm more with you when it comes to these things but several reporting this is troubling. It's not like Yeehah Bob where it is just one accuser but instead several in too many of these cases. I agree that they shouldn't rush to judgment but they are being awfully slow.

I'm more with you when it comes to these things but several reporting this is troubling. It's not like Yeehah Bob where it is just one accuser but instead several in too many of these cases. I agree that they shouldn't rush to judgment but they are being awfully slow.

I am troubled by this, but for goodness sakes, we don't have all the information Disney has and John has gone on Sabbatical immediately. Media reporting has already been called out as inaccurate by Rashida Jones as pertains to her and any inappropriate advances by Lasseter. The cries for something to be done immediately from people that aren't even intimately knowledgeable about this situation take me aback, tbh.

And personal attacks against someone you don't even know because they view the speed of the process differently than you do? I've never run into something like that on the disboards in all the years I've been here.

I am troubled by this, but for goodness sakes, we don't have all the information Disney has and John has gone on Sabbatical immediately. Media reporting has already been called out as inaccurate by Rashida Jones as pertains to her and any inappropriate advances by Lasseter. The cries for something to be done immediately from people that aren't even intimately knowledgeable about this situation take me aback, tbh.

And personal attacks against someone you don't even know because they view the speed of the process differently than you do? I've never run into something like that on the disboards in all the years I've been here.
You've been lucky. :)

This is a highly charged topic. I bet that you'll see a lot that might surprise you.

I was hesitant, or maybe I didn’t want to believe this, but the more I look into it, it appears to be true. Such sad news because I always thought he was a good man. I hope Disney pauses all projects he’s been involved with while they figure this out. He should be let go in the long run.

Lol...thanks for the heads up. That kind of unwarranted nastiness was new to me on the disboards.

Unfortunately, it’s not new. I’ve been at the receiving end of that kind of nastiness on this forum myself.

I was hesitant, or maybe I didn’t want to believe this, but the more I look into it, it appears to be true. Such sad news because I always thought he was a good man. I hope Disney pauses all projects he’s been involved with while they figure this out. He should be let go in the long run.

Unfortunately, it’s not new. I’ve been at the receiving end of that kind of nastiness on this forum myself.

I definitely don't want this to be true. It's almost immeasurable what Lasseter has brought to Disney and it will leave a gaping hole that will be very hard to replace.

The best case scenario is that he is an eccentric genius that is known for being "touchy-feely" and his intentions were benign but made people feel "uncomfortable" and they misunderstood his intentions...just like his memo indicated. The worst-case scenario is that he is a predator that used his position to exploit employees at the studios and that we haven't heard the worst of it yet. The thing is...that all of us are just going on media accounts and that isn't always accurate(to say the least).

Something is definitely off here, for sure. Disney has all of the internal information and I should hope they continue to gather more. But they haven't fired him yet and he is know on "sabbatical". Now..that could be for a number of reasons..but none of us on this board knows just what is going on. It's a holiday week where they are opening a hugely expensive film in Coco. They have maybe already terminated him for all we know but have not made it public. If it is as bad as many here fear it is I am sure Disney will cut him...but we don't know.

If next week passes and the is no new statements in regard to this situation...maybe...just maybe...they determined that he was inappropriate in certain cases but that it was not with nefarious intent and a situation that could be handled by all parties without his outright removal.

We just don't know. So adamant demands for his immediate removal because of media reports are a little premature when all we are basing it on is media reports and we don't know all that Disney knows. Let's just have a little patience here. This just broke four days ago and he's on a six month "sabbatical" already.

Last edited:
This is exactly why I'm more of a lurker instead of a contributor. Blocking the consistently nasty people helped quite a bit, but when they are very prolific posters you end up with only half the conversation.

That was new to me, though. Lol...like Planogirl said...I was "lucky" I guess. I've had little "back-and-forths" in the past with people but never had someone assume horrible things about me.

My hope is that the more sordid reports are not true and that he just became a little too "comfortable" in expressing affection with benign intent. If that's the case, then I would think he could be given an opportunity to continue on in leadership with the understanding that it's not "professional" or acceptable behavior as long as those who felt violated were "okay" with it as Disney were addressing their concerns. Those are a lot of "ifs", I know, but I'm hoping this is the case.

Also...if he has an "alcohol problem" that he addresses it.

Some behavior is not "acceptable" but not "fire-able" if the person was honestly not trying to exploit people and will correct their behavior.

Last edited:
One more thing...it's rumored that Bob Iger may make a presidential run in 2020 boosted(ironically) by Jeffery Katzenberg. Do you think he won't take action if there is something really bad here?

I tend to think an immediate 6 month hiatus implies more serious behavioral issues than just expressing affection inappropriately yet benignly.

And I would tend to agree...but let's wait and see.

It doesn't mean that we had to have his head in time for the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade in order to feel satisfied that this situation is being addressed.

One more thing...it's rumored that Bob Iger may make a presidential run in 2020 boosted(ironically) by Jeffery Katzenberg. Do you think he won't take action if there is something really bad here?

Didn't we have decades of folks not taking action and covering things up to keep money, prestige, and status moving along? And aren't folks already saying "well, it's someone new every day, how can we keep up?"...Nope, if it's at all possible (or if Iger is implicated in knowing and knows that could get out), they'll pursue downplaying and payoffs and NDAs...

I mean, they probably knew this was coming out for 2 weeks, since that's how long Jones had been asked about it before the article came out, and I doubt word wasn't getting around if folks were asking both her and all the Pixar female employees...so Disney had time to decide how to act...and they went with letting Lasseter take the immediate leave, once they probably couldn't hope to get the article quashed any more (and you know they probably tried, since the timing of the "leave" announcement was literally hours before the article posted...and normally the accused is always asked for comment in these pieces)...

Didn't we have decades of folks not taking action and covering things up to keep money, prestige, and status moving along? And aren't folks already saying "well, it's someone new every day, how can we keep up?"...Nope, if it's at all possible (or if Iger is implicated in knowing and knows that could get out), they'll pursue downplaying and payoffs and NDAs...

I mean, they probably knew this was coming out for 2 weeks, since that's how long Jones had been asked about it before the article came out, and I doubt word wasn't getting around if folks were asking both her and all the Pixar female employees...so Disney had time to decide how to act...and they went with letting Lasseter take the immediate leave, once they probably couldn't hope to get the article quashed any more (and you know they probably tried, since the timing of the "leave" announcement was literally hours before the article posted...and normally the accused is always asked for comment in these pieces)...

All salient points...but it has to be said that Jones said there was no harassment issues between her and Lasseter..

Look...I am not saying that Lasseter is not a harasser..I'm saying we don't know enough yet to be demanding his head.

He's on "sabbatical" and let's see how it unfolds. The demands for immediate termination from those not privy to the actual "facts" are hysterical.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter