Last minute cancellation questions

Rach3975

DIS Veteran
DH and I are scheduled to leave Saturday for our first adults only trip to Disney. My parents are supposed to be here watching our kids. But Murphy's Law has kicked in again, and one of the kids has been sick all week and has a fever. We're heading back to the pediatrician tomorrow, but we're not sure yet if we'll be able to travel. (First, DD hasn't been responding as expected to the antibiotics and we wouldn't feel comfortable leaving until we know treatment is working. Second, if she's contagious we don't want to expose my parents, who are in their 70's, to an illness that could potentially hit them harder than it will hit us. At first the doctor diagnosed a sinus infection, but they want to see her again to make sure it isn't something more.)

We have a package reservation and bought travel insurance, but since DD is not going on the trip and isn't hospitalized or sick with something life threatening I don't think the insurance will help. If we need to postpone, what do we need to know? Does it matter if we contact Disney 1 or 2 days ahead of time? Are they likely to let us reschedule for a date in the spring (assuming that there's availability and we pay the difference)? I'm less worried about flight costs--eating those would be a lot less painful if we can reschedule the Disney portion. Thanks!

but since DD is not going on the trip and isn't hospitalized or sick with something life threatening I don't think the insurance will help
Did you read over your policy?
If we need to postpone, what do we need to know? Does it matter if we contact Disney 1 or 2 days ahead of time? Are they likely to let us reschedule for a date in the spring
You need to call Disney reservations as soon as you decide, explain the situation, and ask what they can do.

Did you read over your policy?

I did when we were researching policies, but I need to look over it again. If I remember correctly, a non-traveling relative's illness would only be covered if the relative was hospitalized or had something life threatening. Neither applies in this situation, thankfully!

DH and I are scheduled to leave Saturday for our first adults only trip to Disney. My parents are supposed to be here watching our kids. But Murphy's Law has kicked in again, and one of the kids has been sick all week and has a fever. We're heading back to the pediatrician tomorrow, but we're not sure yet if we'll be able to travel. (First, DD hasn't been responding as expected to the antibiotics and we wouldn't feel comfortable leaving until we know treatment is working. Second, if she's contagious we don't want to expose my parents, who are in their 70's, to an illness that could potentially hit them harder than it will hit us. At first the doctor diagnosed a sinus infection, but they want to see her again to make sure it isn't something more.)

We have a package reservation and bought travel insurance, but since DD is not going on the trip and isn't hospitalized or sick with something life threatening I don't think the insurance will help. If we need to postpone, what do we need to know? Does it matter if we contact Disney 1 or 2 days ahead of time? Are they likely to let us reschedule for a date in the spring (assuming that there's availability and we pay the difference)? I'm less worried about flight costs--eating those would be a lot less painful if we can reschedule the Disney portion. Thanks!
Sounds like what we just went through with our daughter. She was diagnosed with bronchitis and a sinus infection. Took her back to the doctor after antibiotics weren’t working and they determined it was walking pneumonia. Switched up the antibiotics and she finally started feeling better

Sounds like what we just went through with our daughter. She was diagnosed with bronchitis and a sinus infection. Took her back to the doctor after antibiotics weren’t working and they determined it was walking pneumonia. Switched up the antibiotics and she finally started feeling better

That's where we are, too. She was already diagnosed with a sinus infection and is on her second antibiotic for that because the first didn't work. This morning they sent bloodwork out for walking pneumonia and Epstein-Barr; the in-office lab test suggests it's not either, but they need to do the more sensitive test to confirm. If she isn't fever free by Friday we have another prescription to fill. She doesn't feel that bad--she mostly feels like she has a cold and wishes she could go back to school. But every afternoon she runs a fever for a few hours and gets very tired, which are the main signs that something else might be going on.

The good news is that the pediatrician said she thinks we're fine to go. DD doesn't feel sick, her condition isn't likely to get worse, and the doctor doesn't think we'd be exposing my parents to anything we shouldn't. Next I have to see if my parents are okay with watching her anyway, and if they are I think we'll be able to go. Before we booked our trip, we also considered a short cruise. In hindsight, I'm so glad we went with Disney! If we did need to get back home quickly, Orlando is a 2 hour plane ride from DC and there are a lot of flights in and out every day. The logistics of getting home from a cruise would be so much more difficult. Note to self: No cruises until all children are independent adults!

If you do need to re-schedule, you can do so anytime prior to check-in. Simply call WDW, tell them you need to modify, and have them price out the new dates. You can transfer all funds already paid to the new dates, but, just know, the new dates may price out higher than what you are paying now and you would have to pay the difference when the balance for the new dates is due. There is, technically, a $50 change fee, however, it's typically waived if your new dates cost the same or more than your original package. You would also have to eat the cost of the travel insurance which would not transfer to the new booking.

If you booked From Disney directly they are sure to help you! We were in a difficult family situation last year and they were very helpful and gave us options to reschedule which we did and everything worked out well. Did not have any issues. Hope for the best, these little ones are always getting sick aren’t they?

OP, I hope your daughter is feeling better as I type this. And I also hope that you get to go on your planned trip.

However, if you can't go, I feel that it's very likely that WDW will be accommodating. This, based on personal experience, as a few years ago I got sick while at WDW and was so sick that I wanted to go home. I've been sick at WDW before, but just rode it out, not wanting to leave. But this was different. We checked out at the front desk--maybe it was 5 days early?--and they didn't charge us for the nights we weren't going to be there. We didn't ask--they just did it.

It's one of the reasons I feel most comfortable booking directly through WDW. If there's a problem, I feel confident that they'll come through.

Thank you all for the encouraging words and advice! We did book directly through Disney, so hopefully they'll work with us if we need to postpone. We don't mind paying the difference, so if the only cost we have to eat is the flights I'm okay with that. (The change penalty is high enough that even if we change it will cost the same as booking new flights.)

We were looking forward to the trip all along, but if we get to go I'm sure we're going to be so happy just to be there that the trip will feel extra magical!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter