Late August camping trip...empty campground

shawn mazzerle

Earning My Ears
I don't do these often, so forgive if I do not follow a format.
Wife made a comment that she missed Disney. I slunk onto the computer and found Florida resident discount 30% off campsite plus 4 day $58 per day park tix. Whole trip under $900, August 24-28 (Thurs-Mon). Preferred loop (got 200.) We usually ask for loop 100, but we arrived so early and had a golf cart reserved, did not care. Upon arrival, the campground was empty. No golf carts buzzing, no campers, no bikes, nothing. I know it was hot, but I have been there a bunch and never seen this. We bought Epcot After Hour party for the first night.
Set the camper up, relaxed and took our FIRST EMPTY BUS of the trip. Empty bus, people...Driver, Me, Wife. Did Epcot party, left around 12am to SECOND empty bus. Driver was standing there, seemingly, waiting just for us.
Next day was Animal Kingdom. Hung out at the pool for the first part of the day. Planned for later arrival because of the previous late night. Normally, we are the early Rope Drop Clan. We, surgically, enter early, avoid the crowds, do a few rides, eat and head back to the camper to check on the kids (kitties.) Bought LL for Flight of Passage just before park close. Another empty bus to the park. Wife. Driver. Me. Did Yeti coaster, had some fried rice and Pandora. Heading back, bus was waiting again. Empty bus. Crazy, right?
Magic Kingdom. Boat was at the dock when I parked the cart. No wait. Walked on... Pirates, Thunder Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Little Mermaid. Bought LL for Tron. We sat in the back because I am 6'4 300lbs (thought it safer to not try the bikes.) Reservations for Liberty Tree tavern. Whoa. Go eat here. Shut us down, though. Back to camper for naps. Evening we checked out the new Trails End and Lounge. We are old school and did the Trails End buffet way back, so this is bittersweet. Fireworks on the beach never get old.
Hollywood Studios. Rope Drop Clan started early. Another family (4 people) on the bus...gonna have to start filing complaints about how crowded these busses are. :)
Bought LL for Rise of Resistance. Reservations for Olga's (never been,) waited for Millenium Falcon (first time.) Had a 6yr and a 8yr for pilots. :oops: Did Muppet's. Our Rise of Resistance was weird... ride worked but there wasn't any sound. The animatronics didn't move. Video screens didn't play. Gave us free LL for anything. Did Raider's show and surprise LL for Mickey and Minnie railroad. Bus back to Fort Wilderness...wait for it... Wife, Driver, Me. Definitely a rare and unexpected theme.
Final thoughts. ANY day with our camper is amazing. Being at the Fort is, undeniably, our favorite. To see, empty busses, sites, no lines, crazy. Our camper's 15k air conditioner can keep things chilly. Days are hot, in the parks. But, 4 of 5 EMPTY bus rides made it look like private limo service. Still looking for that family of 4.

Was there almost the same time. We also had an empty bus from Animal Kingdom. I was running for it because it was about to storm and I just wanted to sit and get back to the room. The driver saw me and motioned to slow down. He was laughing because he said he was there for an hour and we were the only people to come. We took right off. Glorious!

We had longer ride waits than you (it seems), but generally we had a good time of it.

Follow up... The Thursday we arrived was the craziest. When I say empty, I mean EMPTY. There were loops that had zero campers. A couple of loops had a few. We were stacked up in the 200 loop with 6 campers. The golf cart rental situation is new (from the last time we rented one.) Used to have wait until 1pm and stand in the heat. Now they use the first RV check in lane as the venue, 9am. Attendant was gushing about the new carts, different battery, free air conditioning...Ask for an old one. New one stranded us 3 times. I golf. I know my way around the carts. Died. Couldn't even return it. Had to use the bus system to go get the truck. Empty bus, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter