Late September Crowds pre HHN

Aussie RJ

Mouseketeer
Universal Studios newbie here. We are DVC members who are considering dipping our toes in the water at US. My kids are 8 & 6 who will both ride anything at WDW. Our upcoming trip during September/October presents us with a chance to try US and IOA. We have one day spare outside of designated “pool” days. However the spare day is a Friday with a HHN.
What are your thoughts on visiting US on a HHN at opening and moving to IOA around 3pm. I realize it will be as hot as hades and I am thinking it may be a waste of money but a new scene and the HP wands are becoming desirable in my household. Our next trip will be dec 2020 so perhaps the cooler temps will be a better idea for a first time visit. Your advice and experiences are appreciated.

Your plan will work
Leave the studios by 3 and switch parks

The studios closes at 5 to the public as it is a hhn night

Hope you have a great time at the darkside!

should be no problem at all. we routinely go that time of year and skip HHN altogether. it starts to get crowded mid afternoon..say after 3 pm. so bailing at that point is smart. make sure you get the park to park ticket. and take the Hogwarts express. I won't say the crowds are lighter earlier, but the locals won't start showing up until later.

we only stay at hotels that offer express pass so honestly have never done it without so really cannot offer any advice as to how crowded/busy the lines are for the biggest rides( obviously the Hagrid coaster will probably still be stupid long waits.. perhaps not the 8-10 hours it seems to be now, but I bet 3-4 would not be far off the mark.)

Yes earlier in the hhn season has lighter crowds until late afternoon

I notice weekends are crowded when Columbus Day comes along by noontime

Last week of the event is lighter and no packed parks in early afternoon

Yes, as mentioned, that's definitely doable. But I will caution that around the time you're hopping to IOA, many others will be as well. With HHN that night, IOA is usually busy the latter half of the day. To help combat that, I would want express pass. Between park-to-park tickets and express pass, that's a pretty expensive day. Plus, factor in the heat and high potential for afternoon thunderstorms that time of year...

As far as crowds at US during the day when there is HHN that night, I've never noticed much a difference frankly. But it behooves people who have park tickets to be inside the park prior to the 5pm closing so they can wait in the HHN holding areas, which gives them an advantage when HHN opens. So I would expect US to get busier as they day goes on.

Is there any chance of tacking a night at Universal hotel on before or after? We always start at WDW and then move to Universal for 1-3 nights. The onsite Universal hotels are great and the deluxe ones come with unlimited express pass.

Is there any chance of tacking a night at Universal hotel on before or after? We always start at WDW and then move to Universal for 1-3 nights. The onsite Universal hotels are great and the deluxe ones come with unlimited express pass.
I can’t this trip. I had a bunch of DVC points to use before they expire. And we are all booked up on the Fantasy beforehand. I’m thinking I may skip this until 2020 and book a few nights onsite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter