Latest on Reedy Creek, Tourism Board and Disney Developer Agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.
They actually had to edit a lot of photos - certainly the ones shown today - because he was constantly smoking ... I actually heard an interesting story about his smoking habit on a Keys to the Kingdom Tour from a guide that actually knew Walt as a young girl - her father was an original Imagineer back in the day - absolutely fascinating stuff.

but you aren't working with me and now I am sad ... (despite probably being right) ...

I get that there are some photos of him with a lit cigarette in his hand, but even then there's almost nothing of one in his mouth. And there really aren't that many photos (even the modified ones where it like he's pointing two fingers). He was cognizant that it was a bad habit that he didn't want others to emulate.

They actually had to edit a lot of photos - certainly the ones shown today - because he was constantly smoking ... I actually heard an interesting story about his smoking habit on a Keys to the Kingdom Tour from a guide that actually knew Walt as a young girl - her father was an original Imagineer back in the day - absolutely fascinating stuff.

but you aren't working with me and now I am sad ... (despite probably being right) ...
I have no idea if it's true but have been told that the signature 2 finger point at Disney is because Walt was always pointing with a cigarette in his hand. :lmao:
So in reading some of the previous posts, especially those where public statements are being made: does anyone else get the feeling the "long-game" for Disney is to let the Executive/Legislative branch just keep talking? Seems statements (threats) like "they [Disney] haven't seen anything yet" won't play well in other future litigation?

I think the honorable representative from the legislature tried to keep it on message with the "right talking points" about "taking back blah blah" ... but sure seems like the longer it goes on, and the more actions (weaponization of law enforcement) leading to Criminal Investigations being necessary?!?! - seems to lean toward collection of future evidence of punitive behavior / abuse / overreach?

Freely admit, not a lawyer, but sure seems like a pattern is setting up here ...
I think it's just that Disney doesn't have anything to gain by engaging it publicly. They know it's a bunch of politicians being politicians and it's better to be strategic in their actions.

I'm sure the Disney lawyers have receipts for everything the public officials have said though.

We took that tour once, it was great! Sounds like you had a very special guide

I can tell from the bio why Peri would be so upset if all he gets to control are roads and other infrastructure.

Just looking at the make up of the board should make it obvious to any reasonable person what this whole thing was really all about. And it definitely wasn’t because of favorable taxation terms.

Sure. Other than the ability to float municipal bonds, it wasn't a tax break. The ability of RCID to tax heavily (while Disney still paid regular ad valorem property taxes to the counties) was something that Disney was OK with if they could control the board and get superior services.

Yahoo had a good article with Iger's comments from the shareholder meeting today. A lot of credit to him because he walked the tightrope beautifully.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/bob..._YPCpknviShv5FGBFZ7MldtkKG2JO1_Y93y64etIuEggm

During Disney’s annual shareholders meeting Monday, Iger answered a bizarre question about the company’s so-called “woke agenda” with the kind of poise and composure that made him such a favorite of his employees and the shareholders.

“Let me address this issue, which I haven’t really done much publicly,” Iger said. “But I’d love the opportunity just to put it all in perspective. First of all, I know you said you’re a resident, I think of Melbourne, Florida. We love the state of Florida. And I think that’s reflected in not only how much we’ve invested over the last 50 years, but how much we’ve given back in the form of jobs and community service taxes which you brought up, tourism, of course, and all sorts of other responsible business practices. We’ve also always respected and appreciated what the state has done for us. It’s kind of been a two-way street.”

Iger then discussed the decision, by former CEO Bob Chapek, to address DeSantis’ so-called “Don’t Say Gay” bill (after mounting pressure both internally and externally). It was a totally botched handling of the situation, something that Iger acknowledged.

“But a year ago, the company took a position on pending Florida legislation. And while the company may have not handled the position that it took very well, a company has a right to freedom of speech just like individuals do,” Iger said. “And obviously in taking the position, the governor got very angry about the position Disney took and seems like he’s decided to retaliate against us, including the naming of a new board to oversee the property and the business, in effect to seek to punish a company for its exercise of a constitutional right. And that just seems really wrong to me, against any company or individual but particularly against the company that means so much to the state that you live in. That you can put that in perspective we have over 75,000 employees which I noted in my opening, countless thousands of indirect jobs have been created.”

He then continued: “About 50 million visitors will go through our gates this year alone, about 8 million of them from outside the U.S. and we are the largest taxpayer in the state. And you may find this interesting as it relates to future taxes but we’re currently planning now to invest over $17 billion in Walt Disney World over the next 10 years. And those investments we estimate will create 13,000 new Disney jobs and thousands of other indirect jobs and they’ll also attract more people to the state and generate more taxes. And so our point on this isn’t any action is that towards those efforts, simply to retaliate for a position the company took sounds not just anti-business but it sounds anti-Florida, and I’ll just leave it at that.”

Although he didn’t quite leave it at that.

The next caller seemed to suggest that Disney is alienating key demographics and customer bases by taking a stand politically (at all). This has actually been backed up by some internal polling Disney has conducted over the past few months.

“As the CEO of the company, I think my job is to strive to do what I think is best for our business. And that includes doing what’s best for our cast members or our employees and what will enable both to flourish? I don’t think we should or can weigh in on every issue. And I also understand there are going to be gray areas, there are going to times and we decided to weigh in on an issue that we believe is worthy of debate because of its relevance and importance to our business or to our employees,” Iger explained. “And there are times when I’ve actually believed we shouldn’t. But I strongly feel that we alone have to determine whether, when or how to weigh in on a on an issue, whether it’s private or public. Of course with the standard that when we take a position on those matters, there’s a true reason why we have. In almost all cases it has to be because it directly affects our business or our people. And I think if you look back, you know, for decades, corporate America has expressed themselves on numerous issues of both right and wrong and our country, I think, is better off for that. And it was evident during the Civil Rights Era, as I recall as a child, when a lot of companies weighed in on injustice is that they saw in America. It was certainly true during World War II when those that stood in silence, in some ways, still carry the state of indifference. As long as I’m in the job, I’m going to continue to be guided by a sense of decency and respect and trust our instincts that when we do weigh in, we weigh in because the issue is truly relevant to our business and to the people that work for us.”

OFF TOPIC KINDA SORTA BUT you said it!!!!!

When my grandmother passed there was a graveside and a minister from a church she was a member many years. Preface by it had been a stressful end for my grandmother, given 8 weeks and lived 18 mos, sick. ANYWAY the minister said "I remember Rebecca as a boy" ............ we about choked on our stifled laughter. YOU just said the guide remembered Walt as a young girl. Was he a girl when he was younger?

I know, time for me to go to bed. 🤐

OFF TOPIC KINDA SORTA BUT you said it!!!!!

When my grandmother passed there was a graveside and a minister from a church she was a member many years. Preface by it had been a stressful end for my grandmother, given 8 weeks and lived 18 mos, sick. ANYWAY the minister said "I remember Rebecca as a boy" ............ we about choked on our stifled laughter. YOU just said the guide remembered Walt as a young girl. Was he a girl when he was younger?

I know, time for me to go to bed. 🤐
HaHa ... the guide (she/her) was a young girl when she/her met Walt - but could understand the confusion.

Yahoo had a good article with Iger's comments from the shareholder meeting today. A lot of credit to him because he walked the tightrope beautifully.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/bob..._YPCpknviShv5FGBFZ7MldtkKG2JO1_Y93y64etIuEggm
What a statesman. He really handled that very well. And it seems the company's leadership has learned from the events of the last couple of years, both in terms parks investments and how to strike a good balance on the entertainment content.

I particularly loved the closing message:

"And we’re committed to delivering age-appropriate content for family audiences, while also telling stories that reflect the world around us and that foster a greater understanding, greater perspective greater acceptance of all people, and it’s just my hope that that Disney continues to be a source of hope and optimism for the world. And we’re honored to actually carry forth Walt’s legacy of inspiring joy and wonder for everyone. Thank you very much."

What a statesman. He really handled that very well. And it seems the company's leadership has learned from the events of the last couple of years, both in terms parks investments and how to strike a good balance on the entertainment content.

I particularly loved the closing message:

"And we’re committed to delivering age-appropriate content for family audiences, while also telling stories that reflect the world around us and that foster a greater understanding, greater perspective greater acceptance of all people, and it’s just my hope that that Disney continues to be a source of hope and optimism for the world. And we’re honored to actually carry forth Walt’s legacy of inspiring joy and wonder for everyone. Thank you very much."
There was talk at one time that he was interested in running for political office ... not sure if that were true or not - or whatever happened to that ... but its actually nice to have a calming presence / adult conversation based on hope for a future inclusive of everyone

He has to do this. It looks like his staff totally missed the open meetings and posting of this happening. If that is true, then he and his staff were clearly out played. But, the end play is which side do the courts support. No clue, but either way, it will be years before this is solved and in my NSHO,, Desantis will not be Governor by the time its settled.

He has to do this. It looks like his staff totally missed the open meetings and posting of this happening. If that is true, then he and his staff were clearly out played. But, the end play is which side do the courts support. No clue, but either way, it will be years before this is solved and in my NSHO,, Desantis will not be Governor by the time its settled.
I am intrigued at the Legal and "Ethical" concerns raised in the request, a little irony there but ok, that's kinda on Disney to have played appropriately. While it looks like the Legislature is exempt from the Florida Sunshine Law - it might be interesting if a similar request were raised from Disney with the currently appointed board for the former RCID - as they are not exempt from this law. But as you say, none of this will play out to finality any time soon.

Disney has a lot of options in reserve. And the best part for them is that they have a trove of statements about why the legislation was passed. It could ultimately be a First Amendment case in federal court.

And they will be paying attention to every last detail.

Disney has a lot of options in reserve. And the best part for them is that they have a trove of statements about why the legislation was passed. It could ultimately be a First Amendment case in federal court.

And they will be paying attention to every last detail.
That was a fabulous statement by Iger, state the facts and your position, be positive and do not engage in careless back and forth.

Disney researches first, acts on it, then finally makes a statement about the actions. That is a huge contrast to the DeSantis approach to react first.... often in the "heat of the moment" then speak making promises (threats) .... then lastly do the research to attempt to (maybe) find a solution to your promise.
I feel like Disney knows very well the game they are playing, and are confident of the cards they hold.... they have multiple laws on their side, and you know that their full time dedicated legal team has been very, very busy looking at all the options over the last year or so since this happened. It is an advantage that they know their business client (Disney) so well, and they know the business laws, so they are very ready to fight. Unlike the teams retained by the new board, who while formidable, they need to start from zero, research options and they will bill the state of Florida taxpayers by the hour. Caching $$$, let the political coffers ring.

While yes a court can be sympathetic to one side or another, but at the end of the day, a court cannot ignore the law.

another classic ...

“- Jerry: We can't get married at all.
- Osgood Fielding III: Why not?
- Jerry: Well, in the first place, I'm not a natural blonde.
- Osgood Fielding III: Doesn't matter.
- Jerry: I Smoke, I Smoke all the time!
- Osgood Fielding III: I don't care.
- Jerry: Well, I have a terrible past. For three years now, I've been living with a saxophone player.
- Osgood Fielding III: I forgive you.
- Jerry: I can never have children!
- Osgood Fielding III: We can adopt some.
- Jerry: But you don't understand, Osgood! I’m a man!
- Osgood Fielding III: Well, nobody's perfect!”

"Some Like it Hot"

a timely quote:

Osgood : I am Osgood Fielding the third.
Daphne : I'm Cinderella the second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter