• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Latest School Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why shouldn’t they be?
What’s the point of a regulation requiring that an object be loud. It is possible to go through a waiting period of 6 months to a year, several hundred dollar stamp, a visit with the local law enforcement, all to simply muffle it a few decibels, and that’s just for 1 suppressor, if I want another for a different caliber firearm I have to go through all of that process again. Suppressors do not make a gun silent like in the movies, it simply gets it to a level less likely to damage a persons hearing, similar to a muffler on a car or motorcycle which can be obtained with no tax stamp or waiting period(since people like to compare guns to cars). Seems more like a punishment on law abiding citizens than anything else.
I agree that they can be used for hunting and sport, but disagree that people would need automatic rifles, silencers or high capacity mags for these purposes. Nor would mandatory waiting periods or increased background checks, required training/licence unduly effect those that want guns for these purposes.
As far as self denfense, the risk is greater than the reward, you are significantly more likely to end up I hired or killed by it, then use it to protect yourself.
Suppressors would be ideal for hunting as it would muffle the sound from high powered rifles to a level less disturbing to both the hunter and others within the area. For self defense larger magazines are very desirable, if several armed intruders come into my home I feel better defending my family with 30 rounds already loaded without trying to grab extra mags while carrying a firearm, possibly a flashlight, all the while trying to herd my children into a safe direction.

Why does it always go back to the debate over “automatic weapons” when none of these shootings have been done with an automatic weapon and automatic weapons are not legal?

Are you talking about an AR 15?

The boy in Sante Fe did not use an AR 15. What kind of gun did the one in Indiana use?

Why does it always go back to the debate over “automatic weapons” when none of these shootings have been done with an automatic weapon and automatic weapons are not legal?

Are you talking about an AR 15?

The boy in Sante Fe did not use an AR 15. What kind of gun did the one in Indiana use?
The shooter used two handguns.
Which he could not legally purchase, possess, carry, or buy ammunition for.

(sarc on)

I guess a few more laws would have stopped him...........
(sarc off)

The shooter used two handguns.
Which he could not legally purchase, possess, carry, or buy ammunition for.

(sarc on)

I guess a few more laws would have stopped him...........
(sarc off)

Exactly! That’s why I don’t get the push for throwing more laws at the problem instead of figuring out other things, like what is causing this and how to stop it and making our schools safer.

For self defense larger magazines are very desirable, if several armed intruders come into my home I feel better defending my family with 30 rounds already loaded without trying to grab extra mags while carrying a firearm, possibly a flashlight, all the while trying to herd my children into a safe direction.
Couple of questions. Where the heck do you live where you worry about "several armed intruders"? Do you have that firearm locked up while you wait for something to happen?

Couple of questions. Where the heck do you live where you worry about "several armed intruders"? Do you have that firearm locked up while you wait for something to happen?
No one knows if what when where and how something is going to happen we just try to be prepared just in case. I'm not the quoted poster but all firearms are secured in quick access safes if loaded and serving a home defense purpose and unloaded firearms are in a much more substantial safe...then there's the one that's on my person as long as I'm dressed.

I live on the gulf coast, not that it matters as this happens all over. Their just so happened that less than a year ago 3 armed criminals went into the home of an older man less than 5 miles from me, it was thought that they were going after his meds. They started shooting through the door before he could even answer it, he grabbed his gun and shot back hitting and injuring two of them.
Now let me ask you a question, were do you live that it’s guaranteed that nothing will ever happen?

I think it’s a misconception that guns used for self defense are locked up to the point of being useless. If someone has a gun for self defense it’s going to be accessible. Not unsecured, not just laying around, but accessible.

I live on the gulf coast, not that it matters as this happens all over. Their just so happened that less than a year ago 3 armed criminals went into the home of an older man less than 5 miles from me, it was thought that they were going after his meds. They started shooting through the door before he could even answer it, he grabbed his gun and shot back hitting and injuring two of them.
Now let me ask you a question, were do you live that it’s guaranteed that nothing will ever happen?

Honestly it happens more than anyone wants to admit, IMO. More than school shootings.

We live in a quiet area. I feel safe always. Have never been paranoid about being out at night or anything. And yet I do know that break ins do happen and more often than not it’s by more than one person and they are armed. Drugs usually seems to be a big factor.

Thanks for answering the first question. I live in Wisconsin and there is no guarantee that several armed intruders won't break into my house just as there is no guarantee that I won't be struck by a meteorite. I just don't feel the need to be prepared for something that has a very, very, very small chance of happening. What about my second question?

I think it’s a misconception that guns used for self defense are locked up to the point of being useless. If someone has a gun for self defense it’s going to be accessible. Not unsecured, not just laying around, but accessible.
The OP has children in the house. If it is accessible to him it's accessible to his children too.

The OP has children in the house. If it is accessible to him it's accessible to his children too.
Not really, on person isn't really accessible and biometric (or even combo) safes can offer rapid access.

Yes...but that doesn't mean it has to be locked up to the point of being unrealistic that it'll be useful in an emergency...all these angles have already been thought of over and over and there are an infinite number of products to help with pretty much any concern or requirement.
Who said anything about a firearm being locked up to the point of not being about to be used in an emergency? We are in agreement. However, a firearm owner needs to take that extra level of precaution and not just "stash" his or her gun somewhere to be at the ready. The poster I was asking didn't answer me and he's has kids in the house.

What would be wrong with an incremental step towards control? Say, banning all weapons bar from bolt operated or single fire ones? That way people can possess firearms for defensive purposes, hunting and target shooting and the lethality of firearms overall would be reduced.

Who said anything about a firearm being locked up to the point of not being about to be used in an emergency? We are in agreement. However, a firearm owner needs to take that extra level of precaution and not just "stash" his or her gun somewhere to be at the ready. The poster I was asking didn't answer me and he's has kids in the house.

I'm not the poster you were referencing, but I have an 8 yo and a 2 yo in the house. Our guns are not at all accessible to the kids. They don't even have the slightest idea where they are located. They are secured, not loaded, and in a location that they could not even get to. We've started teaching the 8 yo gun safety rules (nothing with her actually touching a gun), but what to do if she's at a friend's house and sees a gun laying around or someone wants to play with a gun, etc. Even though she's never held a real gun and knows she's not allowed to touch them, she understands guns should never be pointed at something you don't intend to shoot, and shooting could equal death. She's been taught to value life and that guns are not toys. As DS gets older, he will be taught likewise, and they will continue to have zero access to our guns.

Our guns would take us a couple seconds longer to access in emergencies, but not enough to negate their worth to us in a bad situation. I don't lay around filled with fear that I'm going to be attacked or experience a home invasion, but we ensure we have safeguards in place should a situation arise. What's the likelihood of a house fire? We still teach the kids fire safety and have a plan for what to do and where to go. Having a plan and thinking through how best to react in various situations makes you less likely to panic if you ever are in a bad situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter