Laundry at the Poly

We usually stay in a one bedroom or larger so the laundry area isn't normally an issue for us. That being said we did stay in a studio one time at BW and I had to use the laundry room. I stayed in the laundry room so I would be there when my laundry was done. I had to wait a substantial amount of time for others to get back and remove there belongs from machines that others, myself included were waiting to use. I don't like the idea of someone else removing my clothes or me having to remove someone else's clothes. I guess the best way to avoid this is to remain in the room with your laundry until it is done or use the above mentioned app. I brought a book along to read while I waited for my laundry to be done.

I would give people 5 minutes after the load is done, and then remove it. It's not fair to everyone else to tie up a machine if you can't remember to come and change it out.

I would give people 5 minutes after the load is done, and then remove it. It's not fair to everyone else to tie up a machine if you can't remember to come and change it out.
We have our own laundry facilities in our home, but would imagine that is what is done in a commercial laundry. Time is valuable to folks now; common courtesy.:goodvibes

We have our own laundry facilities in our home, but would imagine that is what is done in a commercial laundry. Time is valuable to folks now; common courtesy.:goodvibes

I go by the rules I learned in college which was the first time I used a washing machine outside of my house, which was the 5 minute rule.

We had one person in our dorm that would always tie up the machines, and finally someone on a cold winter day placed their wet cloths outside to drive home the point that this person was being rude. Nothing like a cloths popsicle to remind you to change your laundry out.

Happens all the time. I set my timer for 10 minutes before the laundry is done so I'm in the laundry room when it finishes. Do the same for the dryer.
The laundry room is small.

I would remove things if I want to do my laundry and the washer is done and full of others wet clothes and wouldn't think anything of it.

It happens in normal Day to Day at home life too at the regular laundromat. Although I think most people now stay and wait for their clothes to be done there with a couple of exceptions. At least that is what happened when I had to use one a few months ago....... And when I lived in an apartment and used their laundry - your washing would be removed if it finished and you weren't there.

Wow didn't realize the Poly has a shortage of washers and dryers. We're planning on staying there on our next trip, so good to know!

Wow didn't realize the Poly has a shortage of washers and dryers. We're planning on staying there on our next trip, so good to know!

I don't think it's just the Poly that has a shortage of washer/dryers, the BW laundry room was small with only a limited number of machines. Also I would think that people who are only at WDW for a week or less may not need to do laundry so maybe WDW doesn't see the number of machines as a huge issue. Now that we stay for two weeks I do need to do laundry. Also we keep my hubbies pants and Disney tee-shirts that he wears while on Disney property in our Owners Locker so I need to wash them before packing them backup for the next visit.

I don't think it's just the Poly that has a shortage of washer/dryers, the BW laundry room was small with only a limited number of machines. Also I would think that people who are only at WDW for a week or less may not need to do laundry so maybe WDW doesn't see the number of machines as a huge issue. Now that we stay for two weeks I do need to do laundry. Also we keep my hubbies pants and Disney tee-shirts that he wears while on Disney property in our Owners Locker so I need to wash them before packing them backup for the next visit.
But a good percentage of DVC guests at BWV will have in-room laundry as they are staying in larger unit types (1BR, 2BR, GV) ... so there remains less competition for the shared laundry units. I feel Poly is under equipped.

The Poly is seriously short of laundry services. Yes, I believe it is very common practice to have your items handled (removed from either laundry or dryer) if the machine has completed its cycle and the owner isn't present. Happened to us in Sydney, AU, once when the laundry was several floors different than our room, the elevators were terrible slow (crowded) and we missed the timer I had set on my phone by only moments. Of course, perhaps the machine had finished prior to the estimate given at the start? Maybe.

In a shared laundry area I don't think one can fault any other for moving things along more quickly. The resources are very, very limited.

I sure hope the Poly eventually adds laundry to every floor of every building rather than having only one small facility. Bad planning, Disney. Really bad planning.

They would have to remove guest rooms to do that. Which is probably why they only had one in the first place.

It happens frequently. I find the mobile website really useful that tells the exact status of all machines in the laundry room and how much time is left on each of them. This way I can get to my clothes the second the machine is finished without wasting my time or anyone else’s.

I’ve found laundryview to be unreliable. One time at BWV I put laundry in and checked the app when I got back to the room. It said the machine was available. Walked all the way back, it was running. When I used the dryer, the time remaining was way off.

In July, I was at Poly, staying in Tokelau. I wanted to do laundry so I checked the app. It said all were available, so I gathered my laundry and went over to Moorea. All were in use and also people were waiting. I checked the pay laundry by the bus stop and all were open. $3 per wash, $3 per dry. I just had 1 load, so I paid it.

We've had our laundry thrown on the table at the BC and BWV. I don't appreciate it and would never do that to another member. I'm very aware of the time the cycle ends and promptly go to the laundry room. Like your DW, I set a timer and may have arrived only a minute or two after the cycle ended.

We've had our laundry thrown on the table at the BC and BWV. I don't appreciate it and would never do that to another member. I'm very aware of the time the cycle ends and promptly go to the laundry room. Like your DW, I set a timer and may have arrived only a minute or two after the cycle ended.
Those are both really small laundry rooms. If you aren't there when the cycle ends, how do you know how long it was ended before you returned? If I need a washer or dryer and one ends and no one removes the clothes from the equipment, I would remove it and place it carefully in a basket (there are some wheeled baskets in the laundry rooms) or on the sorting counter.

If I need a washer or dryer and one ends and no one removes the clothes from the equipment, I would remove it and place it carefully in a basket (there are some wheeled baskets in the laundry rooms) or on the sorting counter.
I did this at the AKV in the Jambo house one night. But they had that laundry room open for anyone and everyone to use.

Op made it a point to mention that is was their daughters undergarments that was in the wash instead of just saying our laundry was taking out. I don’t see the difference if it was underwear or expensive clothes you should be there when the washing machine ends or someone might put your clothes on a table.

They would have to remove guest rooms to do that. Which is probably why they only had one in the first place.
Exactly, they had rather make guest wait for fewer open units verses forgoing a little extra profit by providing at least one more laundry room. This is ridiculous considering the Poly DVC is all studios, except for the bungalows.

Exactly, they had rather make guest wait for fewer open units verses forgoing a little extra profit by providing at least one more laundry room. This is ridiculous considering the Poly DVC is all studios, except for the bungalows.

I was out at VGC 2 weeks ago. Instead of an open laundry room in the DVC building, they give you a card to use. The pay laundry at Poly requires a credit card. When I used it, it was empty with several washers & dryers. What they could do is provide a card to those staying in Tokelau or Pago Pago to use the pay laundry. I believe it's the only pay laundry, they could also make that laundry DVC and put in another one at the other end of the resort for regular rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter