Legoland newbie

RumpleMom

DIS Veteran
We will be visiting Legoland this summer . Kids will be 7 and 3.
We will stay 1 night at the Legoland Beach Retreat and have a 2 day admission ticket, not including the waterpark.

I know how to plan our WDW vacations, but have no idea how to tour Legoland, especially with the new section just opening.

All suggestions are welcome.

Is there a fastpass system? Restaurant reservations?
Where should be head first? Park hours are 10am to 5pm. What do you do in the evening at the resort or nearby?

Recommendations for offsite dinner.

I haven’t been in a few years, but here’s some general advice from my experience, and it’s basically the same as WDW pre-FP+. Check the website and pick the rides your kids most want to do (confirm heights), familiarize yourself with the park map, arrive at rope-drop and head straight for those rides. Then just keep riding them plus other of your kids priority rides. It may be worth splitting the kids with different parents initially if the ride heights don’t work for both. Also, if they still run it as they did when I was there, you may want to do the driving school ride early. They have a process including issuing “licenses” that was a little slow and backed things up. Don’t be tempted to stop at the cool LEGO creations in the middle of the park. Save those for the end. They’re not going anywhere. Your kids are a great age for the park. Have fun!

Legoland doesn’t require much planning. At opening we went to the back to drive the cars as those can be so loading and long line. The. Driving boats as again had long lines. Then we worked our way forward. Took a break at hotel and then went back. Day 2 we did all DS’s favorites. Don’t miss the water ski show. We saved building legos and movies for afternoon when more tired.

We just did buffet at hotel for dinner. But I’m sure there are restaurants nearby too.

When we checked in (pre-park opening) we got son signed up for builders club (or something like that). They do several sessions in evening and walk the kids through building a creation and they get to keep and our son loved doing that. There is also a dance party at night or the pool.

Have fun. Our son LOVED LEGO land and the age to enjoy is so short so enjoy.

I agree with PP. Start at the back of the park and work your way to the front at least one day. We went to the passholder preview of the new land this week, but I am not sure about the best way to incorporate this into your touring— maybe head there first one of the two days.

There is plenty to do at the Beach Retreat in the evening. Don’t worry about finding something else to do in town (pickings are slim). Just hang out at the pool. You can buy a pack of ingredients from them and make s’mores in the fire pit. There is also a playground next to the pool, and there is a bit of a to-do when the lighthouse is lit.

We got pizza from a NY style pizza place right down the road (Giovanni’s?) and ate it on the front porch of our bungalow. You could do the same with Publix subs (the Retreat is right behind the Publix that is right across the street from Legoland). If you’re going in a Tuesday, kids eat free at the Ruby Tuesday’s just outside the park’s parking lot.

Print your hotel info and show it at the parking gate for Legoland. You can get free preferred parking before you even check in to the Retreat.

They do sell a pass to skip the lines but as long as you’re not going near a holiday or on the weekend you shouldn’t need it. Legoland is a very laid back experience compared to WDW. We didn’t eat much in the parks, we packed, but I don’t remember there being any sit down restaurants in the park. Legolands special food item is apple fries- they are very good and at a stand towards the front. Don’t miss the historic Cypress Gardens at the back, they’re beautiful.

We went there for Spring Break and had a 2day park ticket and stayed at the Beach Retreat. It is super cute and layed back. We went for a few hours on a Friday and it was really slow so we tried to hit up the longer line rides like driving school and the boating school. Saturday was a lot more crowded but nothing like Disney. I don’t remeber any sit down restaurants at the park but counter service was good. We had dinner at the Beach Retreat and it was good (they do tell you to call for a time to get a table if you don’t want to have to wait) and the Beach Retreat has a breakfast buffet that comes with your stay that has a lot on it. The resort was cute and kid friendly.

I haven't been in a long time, but I agree with the folks above:
work from back to front,
don't get distracted by the miniatures first thing, but do go see them later - they're amazing!
and definitely walk through the old Cypress Gardens too - it's so cool that they preserved it, and just neat to see!

IIRC, the dragon roller coaster had the longest line other than the driving school and boats already mentioned (which were both worth it as well!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter