Let’s Talk Mask Designs and Styles!

The one thing I dislike about wearing a mask is that no one can tell when you are smiling. We all look so grim.
I’ve realized since this started how much I rely on facial cues during interactions. I think this explains why I hate talking on the phone as well- I can’t see the other person, and it makes me uncomfortable.

I’m also having a difficult time understanding what people are saying behind masks- I ought to get “I’m sorry, can you repeat that?” tattooed on my forehead!

I’m also having a difficult time understanding what people are saying behind masks- I ought to get “I’m sorry, can you repeat that?” tattooed on my forehead!
The other day, I was actually quietly mouthing something to someone so no one else would hear. I instantly realized that I had a mask on and there was no way she could read my lips. :o

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this so Admin please move if necessary.

I'm currious if anyone purchased the Disney Masks on Shopdisney? I bought them the day they were available and the timeline said June delivery. Just curious if they started to ship them. My order stills says in process.

Same! Plus others have a hard time understanding me. For example this weekend I was ordering coffee, and I had to repeat myself 3 or 4 times before the guy could understand me lol.

The availability date was listed as June 15 on the first day you could order masks. But as more and more have been pre-ordered, the date keeps moving. If you were to order them today, the availability date is between 7/29 and 8/12 (depending on style/size).

Shop Disney does not offer expedited shipping on the masks, so expect between 1 and 2 weeks for the masks to get to you. I ordered on day 1 and I expect to receive my masks toward the end of June.

The availability date was listed as June 15 on the first day you could order masks. But as more and more have been pre-ordered, the date keeps moving. If you were to order them today, the availability date is between 7/29 and 8/12 (depending on style/size).

Shop Disney does not offer expedited shipping on the masks, so expect between 1 and 2 weeks for the masks to get to you. I ordered on day 1 and I expect to receive my masks toward the end of June.
Thank you -That's the info I was looking for. I ordered back in April when they first came out but couldn't remember the actual estimated ship date. I knew it was the current July ship date. I wish Disney would put the info on your pre-order like estimated ship date.

Has anyone on here ever worn the n95 masks? A friend of mine works in construction (open box so he said the health care workers couldn’t accept it as a donation sadly) has a lot of extras and he said I could have a few for our flight. I’m debating because why not 😂 but he warned me my son might hate it. He’s 10 and big for his age (everyone always thinks he’s 13!) and he’s pretty mature about stuff like this but still... hate to take them from him and waste them.

Has anyone on here ever worn the n95 masks? A friend of mine works in construction (open box so he said the health care workers couldn’t accept it as a donation sadly) has a lot of extras and he said I could have a few for our flight. I’m debating because why not 😂 but he warned me my son might hate it. He’s 10 and big for his age (everyone always thinks he’s 13!) and he’s pretty mature about stuff like this but still... hate to take them from him and waste them.
I did when I worked at a hospital. Tbh those were my LEAST favorite masks to wear. When someone had to go into an airborne room we would They fit very snug on your face. I'll do a surgical mask over an n95 any day lol.

That being said, I would say have him try one of the n95 masks outdoors. If he isn't bothered by it use them. If he is, I would look into the disposable surgical masks. They stay on your face and aren't as tight fitting.

Same! Plus others have a hard time understanding me. For example this weekend I was ordering coffee, and I had to repeat myself 3 or 4 times before the guy could understand me lol.
Same problem here! For some of our regular coffee orders, I typed them out ahead on my phone in Notes so I can just show it to the barista -- easier than trying to shout while wearing a mask.

Has anyone on here ever worn the n95 masks?
I can't stand them. A few years ago, my doctor said I had to wear one when I clean the house because of my dust allergy. I cannot breathe in those things and it gets extremely humid in them. They are awful. I still had my box of them (long expired) in my garage when COVID hit. My husband (a healthcare worker) started using them for work, but he likes them so much, he even uses them when we go to the store, etc. He said it took a few days, but he learned how to take shallow, very long and slow breaths while wearing them.

They are ok but I prefer the surgical masks. Also note - when my dad went to the hospital they told him to take it off and replace with the surgical mask they gave him. they said that it lets air out so it can still transmit the disease. So it protects you but no one else. So we'll be saving the ones we bought to wear for smoke from fires for just that - forrest fire smoke.

Also note - when my dad went to the hospital they told him to take it off and replace with the surgical mask they gave him. they said that it lets air out so it can still transmit the disease. So it protects you but no one else. So we'll be saving the ones we bought to wear for smoke from fires for just that - forrest fire smoke.

I think that’s only the case with the ones that have the cool air valve on them right?

If we wear them, it’d just be on the plane. We have our cloth ones and disposable ones ready for the parks.

Sharing my knowledge here - hopefully this will save some of you some time and effort. Here's a link to all the designs;
Make your own mask link

I started with the "Olson", fitted version. These looked the most comfortable but ultimately were more complicated than they needed to be - and weren't real comfortable. The do not slip - that's good, but they tend to open up at the top so your glasses fog like crazy. They are also much warmer than I expected. Worst part was though, unless you do a lot of sewing, and I don't, these are really time consuming to make.

Then I decided to simplify and went with the pleated version. These are MUCH better IMHO. They are far easier to make and are more comfortable, plus not as warm.

Now about the ties vs. ear thingys;
I do not like the ear thingys - at all, plus it is really difficult to find the thin elastic right now. No, you can;t cut down wider elastic - it unravels.

So ties...
You can sew ties into each corner, then tie it twice when you put it on, but don't. Do this instead; use a single 45" showstring and threada it through so you can put the mask over your head, then tie one end or the other once. See instructions here, page down to "wearing instructions". That will give you a nice tight fit that won't slip and is the easiest way to put it on.

OK, so now all of that sewing in the rear-view-mirror, I would recommend buying the masks from Score instead. We ordered some of these and I did the sewing while I was waiting for them to arrive. The Score masks are MUCH more comfortable, lightweight, cool by comparison, IOW, better in every way. I am modifying mine with eyelets in each corner so I can tie them, but otherwise, that is my best recommendation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter