Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

Tracking is such a pain but it's so necessary sometimes.

Yeah.

Great idea!

Thanks!

I am trying to not eat a lot of bread and now I realllly want a croissant. So thanks for that.

Yeah, I haven't started thinking about less bread. Sorry?

Tell me more about your bottled frappucino- do you just drink part of it? Mix it with your other brewed coffee?

So ... on days when either I'm not having coffee right away (like today, when I went running in the morning) or I need coffee to make the coffee, sometimes I'll have like 1/3 of a bottle of Frappuccino to tide me over until coffee time. I sometimes will also have some in the afternoon when I don't want a full cup of coffee but I need something.

I started tracking again this week too. But it is just such a pain. Like totally forgot to add the wine I had last night. Oops. Oh well. What usually happens is I eat healthy/low calorie all day so when I get home I justify it with "I probably have sooooo many calories to spare". Who knows if that is true though. Haha.

I started tracking again this week too. But it is just such a pain. Like totally forgot to add the wine I had last night. Oops. Oh well. What usually happens is I eat healthy/low calorie all day so when I get home I justify it with "I probably have sooooo many calories to spare". Who knows if that is true though. Haha.

Yeah, I fall into that "I was good all day so I get to eat all the things when I get home" trap All. The. Time. Ugh.
But yay for starting tracking again!

--
Post-work Update:
I forgot today was 7/11. So Slurpee. And then I had m&ms because I felt like it. But I stayed away from a second piece of chocolate.
20180711_181355.jpg

As anyone could have guessed, I went off the rails when I got home. Oh well.
Not sure if I'll track tomorrow because it's salad day and I hate tracking salad (I never remember what I throw in there 5 seconds after I throw it in there). We'll see.

I was just in NY on business and was really wishing I had know about my trip sooner so we could have set up a DISmeet. Also I had great aspirations to run while I was there this morning (would have added another state to my run list!) but A) I’m exhausted from being on the road and B) I was staying in midtown and couldn’t figure out a route. Womp.

I was just in NY on business and was really wishing I had know about my trip sooner so we could have set up a DISmeet. Also I had great aspirations to run while I was there this morning (would have added another state to my run list!) but A) I’m exhausted from being on the road and B) I was staying in midtown and couldn’t figure out a route. Womp.

Oh man, I wish we could have set up a DISmeet, that would have been awesome. Hopefully you'll have more notice next time and we can figure something out!
Midtown can be a little tough - on the one hand, it's easy to not get lost while running the roads/sidewalks because everything's a grid (other than Broadway, which is mostly a diagonal), but on the other hand, there's a lot of weaving around pedestrians and cars. Mostly when I'm in Manhattan I just run in Central Park.
I hope you had a good time in NY (other than the exhaustion)!

Assorted Stuff

Virtual GOOOAAALL
I completed the NYRR Virtual GOOAAALLL 5K today. I had 3 miles at 10K pace (9:52) on the schedule for today, so I figured I'd add an extra 0.1ish and finally get myself below 35 minutes for a virtual 5K.
upload_2018-7-12_23-2-43.png
Yeah ... that didn't happen. I just did not have my pace today. I did the best I could (and I actually did come in below 35 according to my Garmin, but that's because I stopped at a water fountain and forgot to not pause), but it just wasn't my day. Oh well. I think it's still a virtual 5K PR.
I have a real life 5K in Central Park in two weeks, so that's my next race. Plan is to take it easy. Goal race for this cycle is about a week and a half after that.

On Spontaneous Workouts
Earlier I posted that I should keep workout clothing at work. I had a rough day at work, and I would have loved to go to a barre3 class after work (even though I did a tempo run today). But I didn't have clothing with me. So I think what I might do on Monday is bring a tank top, capris (although I don't know that I have a spare pair of capris) and an old sports bra to work and leave them in my drawer for days when I decide last-minute that I want some exercise/de-stressing.

Assorted Life Stuff

- My cousin is getting married (not in the US) on October 14th. My reaction: "I can't go, I have a race that day." That's the Staten Island Half, aka the last race I need for my NYC Half guaranteed entry. That's non-negotiable. I feel bad missing the wedding, especially because I did go to her sister's wedding last year, but no. There's only so much that I can put my life aside for my family. This is important to me, so I'm doing it. (I just feel a little guilty)

- I've been fairly miserable a lot lately, and while there are a number of reasons for that, some of them are easier to control than others. One of those is that I've realized that once I start having a rough day, I tend to bring on more negativity. So I'm trying to stop that. I'm removing myself from conversations, discussions, and situations (including some here on this board) where I find myself being overly negative. I'm trying to remember that the reason why I don't talk to anyone at work is because I'm working on a different part of the project than everyone else, not because nobody wants me there (although that leads to different issues ... but those I can't control), so I focus on something else so that I can act like the reason I'm not talking to anyone is because I'm so absorbed in my work (and/or I have my noise-cancelling headphones on). Basically, when I find myself thinking or saying something negative, I do my best to either remove myself from the situation (preferred) or find a different way of thinking about it. It's hard, but I'm doing my best. Even if that means staying away from some funny situations because it's too easy for me to be mean in those situations (which happened today ... I found myself being too mean in a particular conversation when other people were just making jokes, so I removed myself from the conversation, even though it meant I missed the jokes).

- I think I made some important work decisions today. I'm not ready to talk about it because I'm still not 100% sure about everything, especially because it's possible that January may be a factor, but ... I feel a little better about some things knowing that I at least have some plans and thoughts. And I'm sorry that was super vague, but like I said ... I'm not ready to talk about it yet. Hopefully in a month or so I'll be able to share a little more.

There was probably something else I wanted to say, but ... it's almost bedtime. Expect recaps of every day of my trip on this thread starting at some point next week (I decided not to do full-on TR, but I'm not fully done with the recaps yet and I want everything to be done before I start posting).
Night all! (Or morning if that's when you're reading this)

EDIT: I remembered what I wanted to say! ADR day is tomorrow. I'm debating maybe getting a last seating BOG for Wednesday night (if I can). I think I want to do at least one ADR (mostly because they got a new vendor for the Kosher quick service food, so I want to know if they got a new vendor for the table service food and what the new options are), but I don't know if I want to do one solo or just do DATW lunch or none of the above.

Last edited:
I feel you here. Some days are better than others. Some days I let my brain win and I feel like I can't regain happy thought momentum to save my life.
I'm here for you if you ever just need a distraction. :)

:hug:
There's going to be some Disney planning to distract us soon. Spoiler alert: I may be planning to stay up to late the night before certain races. You're welcome to join me if you're cool running on insufficient sleep.

I really need to start leaving workout clothes at work ...

Yet another example of this...
There was a soccer game after work. Surprisingly enough, I was asked if I wanted to participate (well, not that surprising since one of the people on my scrum team is one of the nicest people I've ever met). I was wearing a not-very-moveable skirt and sandals, so ... that was a no. Had I had workout clothes and other shoes at work, I would have played.
Grr. Not only would I have enjoyed playing, but I so rarely get invited to join in fun things (partially because I'm never available anyway, but also because I'm an anti-social hermit) and I hate missing out when I do get invited!

I'm trying to decide if I want to make an ADR at either Epcot or Hollywood Studios the night before the marathon. I was originally planning to do dinner with friends on Saturday night, but I think that with when they're planning to eat and when the Sabbath ends, the timeline will be too tight for me and I'll be stressed about making it to dinner. I think I should be okay for a 7:30ish somewhere, and if I'm eating alone, I can be done in an hour or so and still be back in my room by 9.
The other option is to try to grab a FP+ at either Epcot or DHS, run in for one or two attractions, and then eat quick service.
Or I could just eat in my room and go to bed early.

WDW July 2018 Recap: Day 1, Sunday July 1st - Travel & Magic Kingdom

So ... travel. Beth and I traveled separately - I took a plane and then DME, and she took an Amtrak and then Lyft. Nothing too eventful on either commute (well, Beth had a luggage issue, but it was all okay in the end). I managed to get a third row seat on DME and got this picture:
42530293485_db62b5a093_c.jpg

Not perfect, but probably the best one I've ever gotten. I like it.

I got to the hotel before Beth, ate something, and started to settle in, and then Beth showed up. We both got our stuff organized (and I finished eating) and then headed out to the best first park for any trip:
43434994661_a19aa13b95_c.jpg

Our first stop was City Hall, where I picked up a shiny new Annual Pass, a Passholder slider for my MagicBand (those things are in high demand!), and some "I'm Celebrating" buttons. I don't have a picture of the buttons, but Beth's said "1/4 through med school" and mine said "my sister!" We only wore them that first day, but we definitely got lots of comments (particularly on Beth's button).

Next on our agenda was coffee. But when we stepped out of City Hall, we realized that it was around 3:15, which meant the 3 o'clock parade was about to come through!

This was our first time seeing Festival of Fantasy (well, we'd seen a few bits and pieces before), and while it was cute, I don't think it's a "must see."

41629334690_fd348f5f86_c.jpg

Once the parade was over, we grabbed went to Main Street Bakery for coffee, then sat outside Cosmic Ray's for a little bit to drink our coffee and eat some sandwiches. Once we were finally caffeinated, it was time to start riding attractions, and we started with a classic:

43387336662_c3cbe56b3d_c.jpg

Mad Tea Party! And that's one of my favorite pictures to take - I take the same picture pretty much every trip. I just love catching the dormouse popping out of there!

Once we finished our tea party, it was time for our first FP+ of the trip. We had made our first FP+ for our favorite attraction ... Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.

41629332610_eacfee28f7_c.jpg

Next up was our second FP+, which was right nearby ... The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. After that we made our way to a scrim-covered Prince Charming Regal Carousel, where we were a little disappointed to not get our usual views of the castle (Beth usually gets some really good castle pictures from the carousel ... no dice).

It was a little hot, so we decided to go Under the Sea – Journey of the Little Mermaid (yeah, I know that was terrible). We were excited to see Scuttle in the queue, but again ... no dice. The queue was all wrong without Scuttle.

Once we got over our disappointment over the lack of Scuttle, we made our way over to Storybook Circus and Pete's Silly Sideshow, where we met some characters:
41629333870_a91abb32e2_c.jpg

29566491348_bcb68d4796_c.jpg

In case you're at Disney and looking for someone to chat with about the latest episode of Grey's Anatomy ... find Donald. He's a fan.

While we were in the area, we made our way to Dumbo the Flying Elephant and The Barnstormer. After that, it was almost time for our next FP+, but first we stopped at one of my favorite attractions to photograph, “it’s a small world”.
So ... I got a new camera last year. It's supposed to be good for low light because it has a setting with a long exposure that really helps with the low light. The problem is ... with a moving attraction, the long exposure doesn't work very well. So my pictures didn't come out great. Some of them came out okay, but nothing great enough to share.

Finally we made our way to our 3rd FP+, Peter Pan's Flight. This was cute, as always. After leaving Neverland, we made our way over to Tomorrowland to try our hand at fighting Emperor Zurg on Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin.

41629331720_a077f183ae_c.jpg

By this point it was raining, but we had a FP+ for Magic Carpets of Aladdin. It turned into one of those "multiple experience" FastPasses, so we wanted to use it for something else, but we went to see if it looked like it would start running soon so that we could ride standby. While we were waiting for it to reopen, we decided to do something new to us.

42532772165_4d9f051d4a_c.jpg

This was our first time doing Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room. At first it was cute and there were birds and flowers and we knew the song. Then the chanting started and I'm still not sure what bizarre ritual I experienced. I'm not sure we were able to form an opinion about it.

Anyway ... by that point The Magic Carpets of Aladdin was open, so we rode that, and then used our multiple experience FP for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

At some point during the night (I don't remember exactly when and timestamps are failing me at the moment) we went to Tomorrowland for Incredibles pictures:
41629331310_a9bf27d633_c.jpg

29566378518_676b942d17_c.jpg

Our final attraction for the night was a traditional night attraction for us, Pirates of the Caribbean (it's just a thing that we do - we only ride at night). It was fairly empty. We sat in the back row:
41629330060_30dd0c9512_c.jpg

The talking during the ride picture is a pretty normal thing for us too.
This was our first time doing Pirates since the change in the auction scene, and we were not impressed. The new scene just didn't make sense to us. Meh.

After Pirates, there was one last photo op we wanted to do. Beth is a huge Tangled fan, so this was a must:
41629333170_8190e64976_c.jpg

By this point in time it was obscenely humid, and you can see the layer of sweat on us.

Once we got our lantern photo, we made our way out of the park and back to the hotel. We had kind of had a PhotoPass and Character fail (we usually take lots and lots of PhotoPass pictures and visit all the characters), but ... we did good with attractions. So there's that.
We knew we had an early morning scheduled for the next day, so we packed our bags and went to sleep.

I love your teacups pic! I've actually never noticed the dormouse before :confused:

Where did you find the Jack Jack magic shot? That's pretty cute!

Have to agree with you on the new Pirates scene. Saw it tonight and it just seemed lacking. Who auctions hens? I didn't get it. Also, did you notice the mermaid skeleton was gone? Bummer.

That's a great Tangled shot of you and your sister! Looks like a great day!

You got a lot of attractions knocked out on your arrival day. I prefer to ride Pirates at night, too. I think there's something nice about seeing the scenes set at night then walking out into the parks when it's dark out, too.
The Photopass pictures turned out great. Love the Jack jack shot and the Tangled lantern photo.

I love your teacups pic! I've actually never noticed the dormouse before :confused:

Thanks! I think it took me a few trips before I noticed the dormouse ... he pops in and out of the teapot during the ride. Look for him next time you ride!

Where did you find the Jack Jack magic shot? That's pretty cute!

It was somewhere in Tomorrowland, I don't remember exactly where. There was a red background that said "Incredible Tomorrowland Expo."

Have to agree with you on the new Pirates scene. Saw it tonight and it just seemed lacking. Who auctions hens? I didn't get it. Also, did you notice the mermaid skeleton was gone? Bummer.

Yeah, they could have at least auctioned off a treasure map or something that made sense. Hens??
I didn't notice the mermaid skeleton! Man, that sucks. Boo.

That's a great Tangled shot of you and your sister! Looks like a great day!

Thanks! It really was a great start to the trip! (I hope you're enjoying your trip ... you're still there, right? I don't remember if you told me your exact dates and/or what they are)

You got a lot of attractions knocked out on your arrival day. I prefer to ride Pirates at night, too. I think there's something nice about seeing the scenes set at night then walking out into the parks when it's dark out, too.

Thanks! Yeah, being in the dark park after the dark scenes definitely helps maintain the mood.

The Photopass pictures turned out great. Love the Jack jack shot and the Tangled lantern photo.

Thanks! Those are two of my favorite shots from the day!

I like pirates at night too! Someday I will get that lantern photo!

I love that there are so many of us that ride Pirates at night!
I was very glad we got the lantern photo that night because when we went back a few days later, the line was looooooong (not that there wasn't a line when we got the photo, but it wasn't too bad). I love that photo op.

Sounds like a great first day! I love that lantern photo :)

Thanks! I love that photo too :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter