Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

Same with DATW. Right now I'm all about it, but there's at least a 75% chance that on DATW morning I'll just end up starting the day doing other things at Epcot and then never making my way over to DATW because I'm terrified and I don't drink that much anyway.
There is a 100% chance I will make sure you come to DATW. I don't care that you don't drink that much. I don't care that you may go off and ride some rides. But I do care if you bail fully. Plus.... PANDA FACEEEEE!

The awkwardness of Internet pal meet-ups is half the charm. Everyone feels a little awkward. It's normal.

If it helps any, 9 of my best friends are women I met on a twins parent message board. Our first meetings in person were awkward but they are now some of my dearest friends and all awkwardness when we get together is long gone. We all first got to know each other over 15 years ago when Internet message boards were in their early years. Come to the meet-ups and relish the awkward. :)

Yeah, I get that. I'm sure it's great, but since I don't care at all about Avatar (and never had any interest in seeing the movie), I don't care if I visit the land and/or ride the attractions. If I can get a FP+, I'll try it. If not ... I don't care.
I get that. I didn't particularly want to wait 2 hours for Flight of Passage and I think it's a great attraction. Now, when Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opens in Disneyland, I'm both terrified of and prepared to wait who knows how many hours to experience that.

I have no desire to ride FoP because it's just not for me (as in I don't care). But my mom really wanted to when we went to WDW last November. I was in charge of everything planning, while she was getting the rooms and stuff. Her only ride request was FoP and I missed out FP opening window because I was a n00b and didn't know when it was. Anyway, long story short, I did get us a FP for the Na'vi River Journey instead, which made mom kind of happy. But we only had to wait in line like 15 on the FP and the girls who got in the boat with us said they waited over an hour and they hoped it was worth it. Spoiler alert: it was not worth it. I would have been pissed if I waited that long for that ride. But to each their own and whatever floats your boat. I am not an AK fan and would rather spend my days elsewhere.
I think Flight of Passage is a great attraction, but I get why people don't care. I watched the mech stilt walker thing while I was there. It looks cool. It also felt like the CM was doing a great job to tell the story of the purpose behind the mech walker, but the people gathered around to watch were not interested in that story.

I understand where you're all coming from on being shy or not wanting to go to meets. I always argue with myself about whether or not I should go to a meet when I'm at a race. I usually don't. I say that I want to meet so many people who have been so supportive at marathon weekend, but I too may well chicken out when I'm down there.

I say that I want to meet so many people who have been so supportive at marathon weekend, but I too may well chicken out when I'm down there.
I'll still be rooting for you on the boards even if you don't make it to a meet up! We also joked about having a meet up where we are all at the same place but just talking to each other via the boards. I still like this idea a lot.

I’m such a shy introvert. I get so nervous meeting new people. My life is so boring I feel like I never have anything good or interesting to say (I like my boring life though). I went to the last meetup at HH and I was fine. I’m looking forward to the meet ups for marathon weekend. Even though I don’t drink very much I’m excited for DATW. I’ll probably be the group lightweight, but it will still be a good time.

@ZellyB some of my closest friends are from a message board for 2005 babies!

There is a 100% chance I will make sure you come to DATW. I don't care that you don't drink that much. I don't care that you may go off and ride some rides. But I do care if you bail fully. Plus.... PANDA FACEEEEE!

Well, you can text me pictures of Panda with his face painting.
My goal is definitely to at least try to make it to DATW, but it'll depend on how I do at the pre-race meetups and/or Hurricane Hannah's (which is actually the ideal DISmeet for me because if it goes badly, I can escape to my room and cry for an hour).
I'm painfully shy!! :rotfl2:

I think I've "heard" you say this before. I find it hard to believe. You're very not-shy on the internets.

The awkwardness of Internet pal meet-ups is half the charm. Everyone feels a little awkward. It's normal.

I'm awkward even not with people I met on the internet.

If it helps any, 9 of my best friends are women I met on a twins parent message board. Our first meetings in person were awkward but they are now some of my dearest friends and all awkwardness when we get together is long gone. We all first got to know each other over 15 years ago when Internet message boards were in their early years. Come to the meet-ups and relish the awkward. :)

I don't know how I'll do with relishing the awkward, but it's good to know that you can get past the awkwardness eventually.

I understand where you're all coming from on being shy or not wanting to go to meets. I always argue with myself about whether or not I should go to a meet when I'm at a race. I usually don't. I say that I want to meet so many people who have been so supportive at marathon weekend, but I too may well chicken out when I'm down there.

I can't remember if pre-race meets were a thing last time I did runDisney (it's been quite a few years). But when people from the FB running group I'm a part of do the same races as I do (because there are a bunch of us in that group from the NYC area), I always say I'll be on the lookout for people and then I just don't look for people. I'm very good at chickening out of meeting new people.

I’m such a shy introvert. I get so nervous meeting new people. My life is so boring I feel like I never have anything good or interesting to say (I like my boring life though). I went to the last meetup at HH and I was fine. I’m looking forward to the meet ups for marathon weekend. Even though I don’t drink very much I’m excited for DATW. I’ll probably be the group lightweight, but it will still be a good time.

My life is super boring, so I get that.
And I feel like life can't be boring when you have kids. They're always doing something ... whether it's school or extracurricular activities or causing trouble (I was the causing trouble one in my family).
If I make it to DATW, I'll share the title of group lightweight with you. I honestly cannot even remember the last time I had more than one drink.

Last edited:
I'll still be rooting for you on the boards even if you don't make it to a meet up! We also joked about having a meet up where we are all at the same place but just talking to each other via the boards. I still like this idea a lot.
That would hysterically epic. All these people looking at screens and talking with each on screens while all in the same place at the same time. And I'll be cheering for you too. Even if I don't make a meet up.

I don't drink at all, so if I go to DATW it will be to meet and thank people from this community in person.

I can't remember if pre-race meets were a thing last time I did runDisney (it's been quite a few years). But when people from the FB running group I'm a part of do the same races as I do (because there are a bunch of us in that group from the NYC area), I always say I'll be on the lookout for people and then I just don't look for people. I'm very good at chickening out of meeting new people.

My life is super boring, so I get that.
And I feel like life can't be boring when you have kids. They're always doing something ... whether it's school or extracurricular activities or causing trouble (I was the causing trouble one in my family).
If I make it to DATW, I'll share the title of group lightweight with you. I honestly cannot even remember the last time I had more than one drink.
I did a pre race meet up at the 2012 Wine & Dine Half back when it was a night race. I believe there was a 2017 pre race meet before the Dark Side half, but I got distracted by Star Wars characters.

I get what you mean about your life being boring. Mine is too aside from my trips to Disneyland or World, but not everybody understands those.

I did a pre race meet up at the 2012 Wine & Dine Half back when it was a night race. I believe there was a 2017 pre race meet before the Dark Side half, but I got distracted by Star Wars characters.

So there may have been meetups before my earlier runDisney races. Honestly, I probably just wasn't paying attention to such things because I'm terrible with new people.
And getting distracted by characters pre-Dark Side makes perfect sense. It happens to the best of us.

You guys ... I have so many pictures that I may have to write a trip report. I don't think I have a choice in the matter.

But also ... I will continue to recap here. Day 3 recap should be up within the next hour or so, just gotta finish picking out pictures and then upload them to Flickr.

WDW July 2018 Recap: Day 3, Tuesday July 3rd - Magic Kingdom (Part 1)

This was another early morning for us, but not quite as early as the day before. The park opened at 8, and we were through the tapstiles at around 7:50ish. We heard the new Welcome Show, but didn’t really have any interest in seeing it. We knew it was going to be a long day, and while we certainly wanted to get things done, we figured we’d use FP+ as much as we could, so we tried to set a more relaxed pace for the day.

42818625194_74d115559e_c.jpg

First stop was the Emporium, because Beth wanted new Mickey earrings. Next up was coffee at Main Street Bakery.

42818625054_26bc3c690e_c.jpg

We drank our coffee and ate our breakfast before deciding on our first attraction for the day, Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin. For many years Buzz Lightyear was our first attraction for any day at MK, so it was nice to return to that tradition.

42818624664_f9530393b1_c.jpg

After Buzz we saw that the line for Space Mountain wasn’t bad, so since we were in the area, we headed over. Beth hates Space Mountain and always keeps her eyes closed from the second it starts. I was going to tell her to open them for the picture, but then I didn’t … I probably should have. (I love Space Mountain, so my eyes are always open enjoying the stars)

42631193535_496b18f810_c.jpg

(Next time remind me to sit in the back because I think the skirt situation is not as bad there.)

Once we returned from space, it was time to head alllll the way across the park to our first FP+, Splash Mountain. I like this attraction just fine, it’s plenty enjoyable, but this wasn’t a great experience because we were sharing a boat with the trifecta of annoying – teenagers, from a non-English speaking country (yes, the one you’re thinking), and part of a large group. Ugh. Morons kept putting their hands in the water and were just generally annoying. Not a fan.

41727611810_3b14c7a6f6_c.jpg

43488280792_a9837b4acc_c.jpg

Anyway … while we were on that side of the park, we hopped over to Adventureland for a quick ride on The Magic Carpets of Aladdin. Then we hopped over to Liberty Square to meet Mary Poppins, who was very impressed with Beth’s bag and how much she can fit in it.

43488285302_d504581371_c.jpg

While we were waiting for Mary Poppins, we saw on the MDE app that Anastasia and Drizella were meeting near the castle (near where the fountain is), so we went there and met them. We each found ourselves agreeing with one of the sisters, but since I don’t know which is which, I can’t tell you which one I agreed with.

41727611390_718ac92a71_c.jpg

We were in Fantasyland with a little bit of time to kill before our next FP+, so we decided to check out Princess Fairytale Hall. Waits for both sets of princesses was the same at 20 minutes, so we decided to go for Cinderella and Elena. Wrong choice … their line was longer and slower than the Rapunzel & Tiana line. Grr.

43536081461_5d5d35280b_c.jpg

Anyway … time for our next FP+. As we got to Haunted Mansion it was starting to rain, so the CMs really tried to condense the line and get as many people into the covered area as possible. We went into the covered area right away, and pretty soon we were headed for a stretching room. I usually hate the stretching room because there are so many people stuffed into one small room, but … there were about 10 people in the room, maybe less. I don’t know if this was some new procedure or if we just got lucky, but for once, I didn’t hate the stretching room. The area after (as you get ready to load into the doombuggy) was just as chaotic as usual, though.

Our next FP+ was actually turned into a Multiple Experiences FP+ because of a brief ride closure, but because the ride was reopened by the time we got there, we used the FP+ for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. (Strangely enough, it didn’t disappear from our accounts)

While in line for BTMRR, we took out our phones and made our next FP+ - Mickey’s Philharmagic. It was cute, but waiting for it was brutal because we didn’t want to be on our feet and the woman sitting in front of Beth was wearing her hat in a way that very much blocked Beth’s view. But it was still cute, just maybe not as enjoyable as usual. After PhilharMagic (I think) we stopped for a special photo op:

43536081101_63e7b97419_c.jpg

Anyway … lunch time. But first, another trip to Main Street Bakery for more coffee time. We had brought lunch with us (probably the materials for PB&J sandwiches, but I honestly don’t remember), so we took our coffee and our lunch and once again ate in the outdoor seating area at Cosmic Ray’s. And like Sunday, after lunch, we went for a spin on Mad Tea Party (I believe we had FP+, but I’m not 100% sure and I don’t remember how to check your FP+ after the fact). It was starting to rain as we got on Mad Tea Party, and by the time we got off, it was Mad Rain Party … like torrential downpour. We had forgotten our ponchos (I don’t want to talk about it), so we huddled in the covered exit area and waited for the rain to lighten up. CMs were actually not filling all the tea cups each time they started the attraction, and Beth’s theory is that they did that because the line was covered, so keeping people in line longer kept them covered for longer.

43536074281_984244a5cf_c.jpg

The rain finally looked like it was getting lighter, and Beth needed to use the facilities, so we headed over to the nearest restroom. There was a giant puddle and we couldn’t get to the restrooms without stepping in it … and then the rain started again and we huddled in the seating area for Cheshire Café. Eventually it stopped raining enough for us to find another restroom.

After our pit stop, we went to Meet Ariel in Her Grotto, because I love Ariel (I think we used a FP+, but I don’t remember if we had FP+ for that or if it was another multiple experience one that we used). Ariel was telling us about how much she loves the human world, and I was saying it felt like we were under the sea because of the rain :).

43536080611_cf9c0f1697_c.jpg

After meeting Ariel, we went to hear Scuttle tell her story on Under the Sea – Journey of the Little Mermaid, which we had gotten a FP+ for after tapping at the M&G. Our basic philosophy for the day (and the rest of the trip, really) was “tap then app” – as soon as we tapped our MBs to use our FP+, one of us would pull out our phone and open the app to get the next FP+. We’re basically FP+ super-users. After tapping at Under the Sea, we got a FP+ that would save us a decent amount of waiting in line – Meet Rapunzel and Tiana at Princess Fairytale Hall. Rapunzel was very excited to tell us about the new ice cream flavor she was creating, Eugene Fitzsherbert. Flynn wanted to make sure there was an appropriate amount of smolder in there, so she added toasted marshmallows.
Eugene Fitzsherbert. Seriously. I’m dying. Genius!

42631212955_d71b9f3ba6_c.jpg

Our next FP+ took us to the Storybook Circus area of Fantasyland for a short trip on The Barnstormer. Next up was an opportunity to fly with Dumbo. If I remember correctly, we were on the one closer to the barnstormer. Once we were done with Storybook Circus, we made our way to our next FP+, the class “it’s a small world”. Which had a decently long line. Long enough that there was a CM at the end holding a sign saying that it was the end of the line. Then we went halfway across the park for another shot at defeating Emperor Zurg on Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin. We made our next FP+ while on line for Buzz, but we had something we wanted to see first.

42631211495_0838543925_c.jpg

42631210875_7b1b32e449_c.jpg

42631210065_782596eb7a_c.jpg

42631209415_f003871a9d_c.jpg

Beth is a huge Muppets fan, so The Muppets Present … Great Moments in American History was a must-do for us. We caught the last show of the day, and they were telling the story of the Fourth of July. It was adorable. We loved it so much. This is a definitely must-do for us – such a fun show!

41727562710_94f680a6f9_c.jpg

Our next attraction, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, was our last one before fireworks. After celebrating with Winnie the Pooh and friends, we went to Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Café (which is where they have the “on demand” kosher food at MK) and got chicken tenders (ps – the kosher food comes from an outside vendor, and it’s a different company than the last time we were there. Chicken was slightly overcooked and a little hard to cut, but tasted okay, and there was a vegetable, which was a nice change from the old vendor’s food, which was just nuggets and potatoes).

(To Be Continued)

WDW July 2018 Recap: Day 3, Tuesday July 3rd - Magic Kingdom (Part 2)

Once we finished dinner, we went to get a spot for the fireworks. This was about 8:15ish. We made our way to the hub and saw a space on a sidewalk between some people and the tape that indicated the end of the fireworks viewing area, so we took it. Then we decided to move in a little and ended up on the pavement. They kept moving us up and in, and eventually we ended up towards the middle of the hub near the front of that thingy in the center (sorry, I’m bad at describing fireworks spots). Our first view (we moved a little closer from there):

28648460477_3a9b4aceb5_c.jpg

As we were waiting for the fireworks to begin, there was a DJ on the castle stage keeping the people excited. He was playing music, leading some lip syncing games, and just generally trying to keep the energy up and the party going. He was fun. Beth and I nicknamed him DJ Crazypants.

Finally, at 9:15, the Disney’s Celebrate America! – A Fourth of July Concert in the Sky (aka the fireworks) started. We could see most of the fireworks from our spot, but occasionally I turned around to see the fireworks behind us. I liked the ones over the castle more, though. Overall, I thought it was a fantastic fireworks show and I loved it. It was easy to take pictures of, the fireworks and music went well together, and the overall display of fireworks was very impressive. Highly recommend. (This is a random selection of pictures. I have a lot more. Some of them are better. But I really just picked a few random pictures and uploaded them. If I do a full TR, it will have the better pictures for sure.)

43536073071_5e47c809bc_c.jpg

43536072411_b1151b959c_c.jpg

43536071691_9b52d82600_c.jpg

43536071251_c396cae2a1_c.jpg

43536070331_99ac49ec21_c.jpg

43536068531_10098e06d7_c.jpg

43536067561_4e26496ca0_c.jpg

43536066731_d4d1380650_c.jpg

By the time the fireworks ended, we had been in the park for over 13 hours. It had been a very long day, and Beth was very worn out (I was too, but I wasn’t showing it quite as much). We had to get out of the hub to get to our next FP+, so we went back to Cosmic Ray’s, sat down inside to get a breather, and used the restrooms (and I took out my contact lenses) before heading to our next FP+, which was to Meet Mickey at Town Square Theater.

43536077151_cc8196e787_c.jpg

By this point in time we were completely dead. Nope, nothing left in the tank. But somehow we managed to keep going and head towards our next FP+. We made a quick stop at Prince Charming Regal Carousel before making our way to a nighttime ride on Dumbo, which was very pretty. And we were on the one that we weren’t on earlier in the day – so we did both Dumbos in one day! By this point in the day FP+ distribution was done, so after another detour for a carriage picture, we made our way to the hub for a few more pictures (and to hear DJ Crazypants finish his post-fireworks set) before the park officially closed to day guests.

43536076751_528a8fbf6b_c.jpg

43536075991_eb8d45b5f8_c.jpg

The clock struck midnight, and thus it was time for Extra Magic Hours. Our first stop was a classic nighttime attraction, Pirates of the Caribbean (last row, again).

43536075461_c9622a175a_c.jpg

Next up was our second repeat ride of the day, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Then it was off to the main ride we wanted to do during EMH (which we figured would be our last ride of the night because A) we were beyond tired, and B) we had taken our time and taken it easy during EMH, so we thought the line might take us past park close), which was Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.

43536074881_a16e6dc45b_c.jpg

It turned out that we got off before park close, so we made our way over to one last attraction, Peter Pan’s Flight. By the time we got off that we were completely dead, but we somehow managed to stumble back to the hub and were waiting for a castle picture when the Kiss Goodnight started, signaling the end of EMH.

43536064241_b7402c51cd_c.jpg

So … we were in the park before 8 and left the park after 2. That’s 18 hours. A total of 32 attractions, characters, and food stops.

Honestly, I’m kinda surprised we didn’t just fall asleep on the bus ride back to the hotel.

I kind of saw this day as a test run for how I will feel about going to the parks after the marathon. The 16 hours that the park was open to day guests was my equivalent of the marathon – on my feet for hours, a little worn out, and not sure I could keep going. But I did keep going and I made it through two hours of EMH by taking it easy – so I think that if I do it in a lower-stress way, I may be able to manage doing all four parks after the marathon.

OMG. 18 hours. You both are rockstars and I got tired just reading that!! But honestly, it sounded like the perfect day at MK minus the rain.

OMG. 18 hours. You both are rockstars and I got tired just reading that!! But honestly, it sounded like the perfect day at MK minus the rain.

It was a pretty perfect day. But I'm pretty sure we were zombies by the end of it. Like actual undead zombies. We were very worn out and basically operating on caffeine.
But you should probably know ... this whole "go go go nonstop" is my default park MO. I'm a little intense sometimes. So you're officially forewarned. (I feel like I've been forewarning you about a lot of things... I should probably come with an instruction manual)

It was a pretty perfect day. But I'm pretty sure we were zombies by the end of it. Like actual undead zombies. We were very worn out and basically operating on caffeine.
But you should probably know ... this whole "go go go nonstop" is my default park MO. I'm a little intense sometimes. So you're officially forewarned. (I feel like I've been forewarning you about a lot of things... I should probably come with an instruction manual)
I usually have a 6 year old with me slowing me down. Trust me when I say that I am in need of a full on go go go park day.

Thanks for sharing. Your pics are great!

There's something special about an MK day with a sibling. Bro and I did it a couple of years ago during marathon weekend when I was doing justly the half.

We also have the balloon picture, although ours is different: he's holding the balloons and floating away, and I'm trying to hold him down.

Wow! That was one busy MK day! A part of me is jealous that you were able to do so much in one day, another part of me was tired just reading about 18 hours in a park. :rotfl:
I'm glad you were able to get a great spot for the fireworks and that you were able to get a lot of attractions knocked out through Fastpasses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter