Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

I usually have a 6 year old with me slowing me down. Trust me when I say that I am in need of a full on go go go park day.

Well then expect to have some crazy fun in January :)

Thanks for sharing. Your pics are great!

Thank you!

There's something special about an MK day with a sibling. Bro and I did it a couple of years ago during marathon weekend when I was doing justly the half.

We also have the balloon picture, although ours is different: he's holding the balloons and floating away, and I'm trying to hold him down.

I've been fortunate enough to be able to do Disney with my sister a lot and it's always a really special experience. Glad you got an opportunity to do it with your brother - that's awesome!

THAT is EPIC!

Yep. And there is more epicness to come later in the trip.

I need some coffee after reading about your MK day! That was an amazing amount of attractions you got in.

Understandable. We needed a lot of caffeine to get through that day (I think the final total was 2 coffees and 2 sodas for Beth and 2 coffees and one soda for me ... and I don't normally drink soda). But it was really cool to be able to get so much done!

Wow! That was one busy MK day! A part of me is jealous that you were able to do so much in one day, another part of me was tired just reading about 18 hours in a park. :rotfl:

That's basically my reaction too - it was super cool to be able to get so much done in one day, but three weeks later I'm tired just thinking about it!

I'm glad you were able to get a great spot for the fireworks and that you were able to get a lot of attractions knocked out through Fastpasses.

Thanks - we really did have some good luck that day!

What an awesome day! I normally don't get that much park time with most of my trips being runDisney ones. I would totally love to be able to do that though. Someday I will see the 4th fireworks as well.

What an awesome day! I normally don't get that much park time with most of my trips being runDisney ones. I would totally love to be able to do that though. Someday I will see the 4th fireworks as well.

I can see where a day like that would be tough to do on a runDisney trip. It was a very intense day, but a lot of fun - I highly recommend a super long day at the parks at some point if you can swing it.
I really hope you get to see the 4th fireworks sometime - I think you would really like them. They're fantastic (and great for taking pictures!)

WDW July 2018 Recap: Day 4, Wednesday July 4th - Disney Springs & Epcot

Wednesday morning. Finally, we got to sleep in … we slept until 8. Although since we hadn’t gone to bed until 3 … it was really the same 5 hours we got every other night. It was just a different five hours.

Anyway. Plan for the day was breakfast and light shopping at Disney Springs, followed by an afternoon at Epcot, ending with the 4th of July post-Illumination fireworks.

We took our time getting ready in the morning, then headed out to the buses and grabbed a bus to Disney Springs. This was our first time at Disney Springs since they changed where the buses stop and that’s basically a hard no from us. It took approximately 45 hours to walk from where the bus dropped us off to our first stop. I like the old bus stop better. Let’s change it back.

After walking for several hours (I may be exaggerating slightly), we made it to Erin McKenna Bakery, where we pickup up two cupcakes for breakfast. Beth’s selection was the Blondie Cupcake, and I went for the Vanilla Brownie Cupcake. We shared them both, but spoiler alert: Beth made the better selection. Not that the vanilla brownie cupcake was bad, but man that blondie cupcake was delicious. Anyway … after grabbing our cupcakes, we went to Ghirardelli to get iced coffee, and then sat down inside Ghirardelli and ate the aforementioned cupcakes.

Once we finished breakfast, it was time to shop. We went to World of Disney, which has always been my favorite store at Downtown Disney/Disney Springs, and … no. Just no. That place was all wrong. Remember that magical place full of rooms and rooms of Disney stuff that nobody really needed? Where every new room brought you more wonder and joy (and sometimes confusion)?

That’s all gone. It’s now an open space that has pretty much nothing and is barely even worth visiting. Not a fan. We also made stops at Pin Traders and Marketplace Co-Op (where I looked at the dresses and skirts and was not tempted to buy any at all! … mostly because I know I’d never wear them since they don’t have pockets), but after the World of Disney fiasco, we were kind of bummed out and nothing was super exciting.
(Side Note: If I ever do end up moving, which is a stress for another day, someone’s gonna have to take away my credit card in January or I will just totally stock my new kitchen with the things they sell at Marketplace Co-Op … because that was the only good store we visited all morning)

We finally decided that we were done with Disney Springs and took a bus back to our hotel, where we caught another bus going to …

43579082981_3bfd33201b_c.jpg

Before we could take that picture, we had to deal with everyone’s favorite part of Florida in July … the rain. Torrential downpour as soon as we got off the bus. We huddled under some shelter by the bathrooms, and put on our ponchos (which we had remembered to pack that day) while waiting for it to get a little bit lighter.

Eventually we made our way into Epcot, and since we didn’t see any PhotoPass photographers out by the giant golf ball, we made our way to our first character meet and greet of the day, Joy and Sadness. The M&G area was cute, with lots of memories all over the walls, but it was a long wait and we were not huge fans of that. Eventually we got to the front of the line and saw …

43532048052_213ef6b5c3_c.jpg

Just Joy. No Sadness. The only sadness there was our feelings about this. Sadness is basically my spirit emotion, so I really wanted to meet her. Not cool. After that disappointment, I went to go get myself more coffee, and then joined Beth in line for Baymax.

41772992390_7f597b50de_c.jpg

Next up was our first FP+ of the day, Soarin’ Around the World. I had heard that some people reported distortion in the video, especially when sitting on the sides, so I planned to request a seat in the middle section … but we were cranky and hungry, so we just sat wherever they put us, which ended up being the side. I definitely noticed some distortion, and Beth mentioned that there wasn’t really much of a storyline – it just jumped from one city to the next, and not always in an order that made sense to us. We both shared the opinion that there was not enough Disneyland. Not a fan. Would not necessarily waste a FP+ on again.

Anyway … once we got back from our trip around the world, we sat down to eat lunch (tuna and veggie chips), and then made our way to our next FP+ … The Seas with Nemo and Friends. Spoiler alert: we found Nemo.

41770877370_c80258e562_c.jpg

Next on our agenda was another character M&G we were very excited about. We had heard that there would be characters wearing patriotic attire in the American Adventure Pavilion, and after consulting the times guide, we saw that their appearance would be ending at 4:20, so we hustled over there (it was a little before 4 at this point). We got there, and … the line was closed. It had been closed since 3. Because 4:20 meant that nobody got to meet them after 4:20, not that you had to be in line by 4:20 to meet them. Grr.

*Mini-Rant*
I wish there was some consistency here. Sometimes when there’s a listed time for a character, the end time is when the character’s last set begins. Other times it’s when the last set ends. I wish there was some consistency here so that I knew when I had to show up to meet a character. I’d be fine with the line closing at 3 if I knew that consistently the last time listed for a character is when they meet their last guest. But since I’ve gotten in line for the last set at an end time listed for a character … there’s clearly no consistency. And I’m not a fan.
*End Mini-Rant*

Even though we would not be meeting the American characters, I knew we’d be able to meet another great patriot … and so we went to Mexico to meet…

41770878480_289030fb3c_c.jpg

While we were in Mexico we went on Gran Fiesta Tour, which actually had a line, strangely enough … but we still got to sit in the front row, which is my favorite (better pictures).

After that brief detour, our character adventure continued, as we made a quick stop back in Future World at the Epcot Character Spot (yes, we did basically keep running back and forth between World Showcase and Future World ...but at least we stopped for gold ball pictures on the way):

41770878800_7938b1fa8b_c.jpg

41770879310_8900b16fd7_c.jpg

41770879710_45c320709d_c.jpg

41770880310_3d6c26e699_c.jpg

We were hoping to ride Spaceship Earth and/or Test Track while in Future World, but Spaceship Earth was down (which really sucked because we had a FP+ and couldn’t use it for anything else particularly good) and the wait at Test Track was super long (even the single rider line was almost an hour). Sigh.

Since FutureWorld was such a disappointment, we made our way back to World Showcase (which was super extra crowded by this point in the afternoon) to meet one of Beth’s favorite princesses, Snow White:

41770880670_bb5fb208a8_c.jpg

*Mini-Rant*
A few times over the course of our trip, we saw Make-A-Wish families coming up to character meets. They always stood off to the side and the CMs got them in to meet the character as quickly as possible. Based on the consistency with which it happened, I assumed this was WDW policy. When we were waiting for Snow White, a Make-A-Wish family came up to the M&G, and both the character handler and the PhotoPass Photographer basically ignored them. Finally someone figured out what was going on and they were able to meet Snow White, but … they waited way longer than they should have. Seeing this (on a day that already wasn’t going well for us) really upset us. You have a kid there who is possibly dying … I don’t care if it’s policy or not, be a good human being and let the kid (and his/her family) meet the character without having to wait. Had it gotten to the point where it was our turn to meet her and the family hadn’t gone yet, we would have said to let them go ahead of us. We really couldn’t believe the lack of awareness from the CMs … we were not happy.
*End Mini-Rant*

Next on our list was a trip to Norway to meet Anna and Elsa at their Royal Summerhus. We were not overly impressed with the Royal Summerhus.
We were also not overly impressed with the standby line for Frozen Ever After, which said it was a 65 minute wait, ended up being a 90 minute wait, and was actually a hot mess. There was too much empty space (that wasn’t being policed at all), there wasn’t really much to see along the queue, and while Oaken’s whatever was cute, it didn’t redeem the rest of the line. Thankfully, we made friends for part of the line (fellow New Yorkers and Slinky Dog Dash fans), so the last half of the wait wasn’t terrible. The ride itself was cute, but not worth the queue – I would not do it again without FP+.

41770881110_20c8cbd367_c.jpg

41770881360_1095401df9_c.jpg

42861249394_70fa52cac5_c.jpg

Once we finally got out of Frozen Ever After, it was time to grab a quick snack and find a spot for Illuminations. As I’m sure most of you know, FEA dumps you into the Norway shop … which was full of people seeking shelter from the rain. Because it was raining. Again. Grr.

After learning that most of the food sold in the Norway store is actually Swedish (go figure), we put on our ponchos and made our way out when the rain seemed to be getting lighter. We didn’t have time to stop for food, so we just went to look for a good spot … and ended up getting rained on more. And more. We finally stopped near Morocco, not because we had a good spot, but because we were done walking around in the rain. We sat down and I texted my parents as we were waiting for Illuminations to begin … and waiting … and waiting … because the show was delayed and didn’t start until 9:47. Grr.

We had a little bit of an obstructed view, but Illuminations is still nice. And the fireworks at the end were fantastic. But we were a little pissed that Epcot had basically failed us all day, and that dampened our enjoyment.

Anyway … pictures: (the good ones were taken by Beth with my phone, since I was busy with the camera (which didn't catch anything good anyway) and I'm not very good at pictures anyway)

41770882320_da65c1b61c_c.jpg

41770877730_90cdb1db1d_c.jpg

41770882810_8f7999851d_c.jpg

41770883150_34c94418df_c.jpg

43532042202_10e5847f58_c.jpg

43532042862_68e4474f48_c.jpg

43532043882_0b2859f9b9_c.jpg

43532044922_57ecfcf506_c.jpg

43532046752_6fd064b164_c.jpg

43532047442_25a0284d24_c.jpg

After the fireworks, we joined the mass crowd exiting the park. There were some nice “happy birthday America” projections on the giant golf ball, but I didn’t get any good pictures of those. We did stop for a set of golf ball pictures on the way out, though:

41770878060_d6cb04fbca_c.jpg

We then got on a bus and went back to the hotel, where we organized our stuff for Thursday (which was going to be another early morning) and went to bed.

Overall Thoughts on 4th of July Fireworks:
July 3rd at MK – Absolutely worth it. Must do if you’re in the area.
July 4th at Epcot – If you’ve got a park hopper, do a different park during the day and then come to Epcot a little before the fireworks just to get a spot and watch. If you don’t have a park hopper, skip. I would not do 4th of July at Epcot again (except for maybe a quick trip in for the fireworks only if the weather was decent). The fireworks were nice, but not worth the crowds and the hassle.

Also ...
1 - I have a race this week (Thurs night). Will try to get a pre-race update posted at some point. Possibly after I decide what I'm wearing.
2 - I'm supposed to have a blind run tomorrow. Will most likely end up on the treadmill due to thunderstorms. Thinking about doing tomorrow's run at Easy/LR pace and then doing Thursday's race as a blind run, but I'm not 100% convinced that I can properly blind pace myself during a race, even if I go in knowing that I plan to run it easy. I will decide when I wake up.
3 - I may not end up doing a barre3 class this week. Schedule stuff. My best bet is to do a class on the same day as a tempo run, which I don't normally do. We'll see what happens. (Also ... I was all excited to try out my new grippy socks this week ... that now may have to wait until next week)
4 - I think Tuesday may be my runniversary, but I'm not sure. It's also a significant day for me for personal reasons (I may explain later when it's not way past my bedtime). I will most likely be going to see a musical version of Twelfth Night. I hate Shakespeare. But I like to make other people happy ... even if that means cancelling my barre3 class reservation and doing something I don't want to do on a day that's lightly important to me. Sigh. I'll survive.
5 - My goal for this journal for this week is to post recaps of the rest of my WDW trip. All that's left is Thursday (DHS and secret adventure) and Friday (travel home) ... hopefully I can find time to get it done.

Sorry EPCOT was kind of a bummer. Still, though, it sounds like your trip was excellent. Cant wait to read about the rest of it! Have a great race this week!

That was some lousy Epcot weather. Soarin’ is okay. I like the elephant scene the best. Test track I only go on to make my daughter happy. Frozen is super cute though, but I’ll only go on if I can get a FP.

Looking forward to reading about your race details!

Sorry EPCOT was kind of a bummer. Still, though, it sounds like your trip was excellent. Cant wait to read about the rest of it! Have a great race this week!

Thanks! Epcot was definitely the down point in an otherwise great trip.

That was some lousy Epcot weather. Soarin’ is okay. I like the elephant scene the best. Test track I only go on to make my daughter happy. Frozen is super cute though, but I’ll only go on if I can get a FP.

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of that weather at all.
I agree with you on Frozen - so cute, but the line is not at all worth it. In the future I'll probably only ride with FP+ or a less than 10 minute line (yeah, like that's gonna happen).

Looking forward to reading about your race details!

Hopefully I'll have something up in a day or two!

Whoa. What a day at MK! That's amazing.

Yeah, it was pretty great :)

Excited to hear more about your race this week too :)

Hopefully within the next few days!

It was a pretty perfect day. But I'm pretty sure we were zombies by the end of it. Like actual undead zombies. We were very worn out and basically operating on caffeine.
But you should probably know ... this whole "go go go nonstop" is my default park MO. I'm a little intense sometimes. So you're officially forewarned. (I feel like I've been forewarning you about a lot of things... I should probably come with an instruction manual)
I always laugh when I hear some variation of the Disney was so crowded once when I rolled into the park around noon. That's half the problem right there. You get so much done when you have a plan and are committed to it.

One of my favorite MK days ever came back in 2012. I was just getting over a cold and it was days before the Wine & Dine Half, so I decided to head to an open until 1:00am MK just to build up my endurance for being up late. The park was so quiet that they were letting anyone walk through and experience new Fantasyland even before it was open. So I got to experience all of that and learned just how to score a reservation for Be Our Guest during MVMCP. Then I found character lines with a 5 minute wait on the way out. Worked perfectly. That trip was when I began to love the MK as opposed to simply liking it. While it will never be Disneyland for me, I'm coming to love it more and more.

I've seen the 4th of July fireworks at Disneyland so many times that I really want to see the Illuminations tag for the 4th of July. Although that would also involve being in WDW during the sweltering summer and the accompanying crowds. So it may never happen.

I've found that Frozen Ever After can be done with a short wait during rope drop. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would, but it's not really worth a wait longer than 20-30 minutes.

For me, Spaceship Earth is Disney World. While I would never do this, I could visit Disney World for 7 days and stay out of Epcot until the last day and never realize that I'm actually in Disney World until I see Spaceship Earth. Most of my recent photos of it also involve medals hanging from my neck. Hoping to really add to that collection of photos come January.

I always laugh when I hear some variation of the Disney was so crowded once when I rolled into the park around noon. That's half the problem right there. You get so much done when you have a plan and are committed to it.

Oh, we roll into the park around noon sometimes (well, closer to 10-11ish). But we expect it to be more crowded then. Mornings are no fun, but if you're showing up late, you gotta know what to expect. Showing up late and expecting the parks to not be crowded is just crazy.

One of my favorite MK days ever came back in 2012. I was just getting over a cold and it was days before the Wine & Dine Half, so I decided to head to an open until 1:00am MK just to build up my endurance for being up late. The park was so quiet that they were letting anyone walk through and experience new Fantasyland even before it was open. So I got to experience all of that and learned just how to score a reservation for Be Our Guest during MVMCP. Then I found character lines with a 5 minute wait on the way out. Worked perfectly. That trip was when I began to love the MK as opposed to simply liking it. While it will never be Disneyland for me, I'm coming to love it more and more.

That sounds like an awesome day! Getting to see new Fantasyland before it opened ... so cool. That really does sound like the best way to get used to late nights :)
Maybe it's because for my first few trips we alternated coasts (unfortunately, I haven't been back to your coast in waaaaay too long), but I hate comparing MK and Disneyland. I love them both for what they are. MK is not Disneyland ... but Disneyland is not MK either. They each have their amazing things and their issues. But I love them both so much.

I've seen the 4th of July fireworks at Disneyland so many times that I really want to see the Illuminations tag for the 4th of July. Although that would also involve being in WDW during the sweltering summer and the accompanying crowds. So it may never happen.

I would love to see the Disneyland 4th of July fireworks! It would definitely be an improvement over the Florida humidity. We actually considered a trip to California but it just didn't work out ... I kinda hate that because it rains less in California (although it always seems to rain when I'm there) and there's no humidity. I hate humidity.
The crowds weren't even that bad (definitely crowded, but not really impossible to navigate). The weather was worse.

I've found that Frozen Ever After can be done with a short wait during rope drop. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would, but it's not really worth a wait longer than 20-30 minutes.

I don't think I've ever rope dropped Epcot in my life. But that's good to know in case I ever do. Agreed that it's not worth a wait longer than 20-30 minutes (if that long).

For me, Spaceship Earth is Disney World. While I would never do this, I could visit Disney World for 7 days and stay out of Epcot until the last day and never realize that I'm actually in Disney World until I see Spaceship Earth. Most of my recent photos of it also involve medals hanging from my neck. Hoping to really add to that collection of photos come January.

I've actually done a few trips without Spaceship Earth ... although we always get pictures, we just don't always get on the ride. My first trip to WDW was in 2000, when they had the giant golf ball decorated for the Millenium celebration, so I always have that memory and it does kinda stick in my brain as an essential part of Disney.
I'm looking forward to seeing all of your Dopey/Spaceship Earth pictures in (less than) 6 months!

Life Updates:
1 - Tomorrow's plans got cancelled due to rain, so I'm going to barre3 class. Gonna try out my new grip socks. They will probably be awkward. But we'll see.
2 - Hopefully I will have trip and/or race updates up tomorrow. I started the trip update, but I was rambling, so it'll take a while.
3 - Ugh. Work. I was stupid excited for my coworker to take PTO this week because I like borrowing his standing desk. After today, I'd rather have him back than have his desk. He doesn't expect me to have access to things that nobody wants to give me access to. It's gonna be a fun week.
4 - Update on today's run: Did it not-really-blind on the treadmill. Was not particularly fun.
5 - AP MagicBand came today! It's very pink. Also, it came with a slider. So now I have two AP sliders. Which means I don't have to switch the slider from MB to MB as often. Score!

Also ... so, I mentioned yesterday that tomorrow is a personally significant day for me. Basically, I live my life by two calendars - my religious calendar and the normal secular calendar. So I actually have two birthdays. My religion starts the day at night, and tonight is the start of the 12th day of the month of Av ... aka my birthday on the religious calendar. I'm not a big birthday person in general, but when I do celebrate, this is the one I tend to celebrate, just because there are fewer expectations and I can do it my way. Not really celebrating this year, but that's kinda why I didn't really want to do something that didn't excite me. (My regular secular birthday isn't for a little bit ... the calendars are a while apart this year. Not planning to celebrate that one this year either.) You guys can feel free to skip the "happy birthday"s too ... as my brother likes to point out, it's not my real birthday. It's just the day I've occasionally chosen to celebrate. (If I was at Disney, I'd get a birthday button)

That sounds like an awesome day! Getting to see new Fantasyland before it opened ... so cool. That really does sound like the best way to get used to late nights :)

Maybe it's because for my first few trips we alternated coasts (unfortunately, I haven't been back to your coast in waaaaay too long), but I hate comparing MK and Disneyland. I love them both for what they are. MK is not Disneyland ... but Disneyland is not MK either. They each have their amazing things and their issues. But I love them both so much.

I would love to see the Disneyland 4th of July fireworks! It would definitely be an improvement over the Florida humidity. We actually considered a trip to California but it just didn't work out ... I kinda hate that because it rains less in California (although it always seems to rain when I'm there) and there's no humidity. I hate humidity.
The crowds weren't even that bad (definitely crowded, but not really impossible to navigate). The weather was worse.

I've actually done a few trips without Spaceship Earth ... although we always get pictures, we just don't always get on the ride. My first trip to WDW was in 2000, when they had the giant golf ball decorated for the Millenium celebration, so I always have that memory and it does kinda stick in my brain as an essential part of Disney.
I'm looking forward to seeing all of your Dopey/Spaceship Earth pictures in (less than) 6 months!
It's important to experience and appreciate each park for what it is and not what it isn't.

The 4th of July fireworks shows are identical in both Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom. Still a great show and at least when I last went to Disneyland on the 4th of July, it didn't really get intensely crowded until about 2 hours before the fireworks. Of course that was back in 2011 so it may have changed since then.

Those Dopey medal photos will be awesome. Hopefully I'll get around to actually finishing some prior started race trip reports and you'll get to see photos of what I called the Kessel Run Victory Tour.

Life Updates:
1 - Tomorrow's plans got cancelled due to rain, so I'm going to barre3 class. Gonna try out my new grip socks. They will probably be awkward. But we'll see.
2 - Hopefully I will have trip and/or race updates up tomorrow. I started the trip update, but I was rambling, so it'll take a while.
3 - Ugh. Work. I was stupid excited for my coworker to take PTO this week because I like borrowing his standing desk. After today, I'd rather have him back than have his desk. He doesn't expect me to have access to things that nobody wants to give me access to. It's gonna be a fun week.
4 - Update on today's run: Did it not-really-blind on the treadmill. Was not particularly fun.
5 - AP MagicBand came today! It's very pink. Also, it came with a slider. So now I have two AP sliders. Which means I don't have to switch the slider from MB to MB as often. Score!

Also ... so, I mentioned yesterday that tomorrow is a personally significant day for me. Basically, I live my life by two calendars - my religious calendar and the normal secular calendar. So I actually have two birthdays. My religion starts the day at night, and tonight is the start of the 12th day of the month of Av ... aka my birthday on the religious calendar. I'm not a big birthday person in general, but when I do celebrate, this is the one I tend to celebrate, just because there are fewer expectations and I can do it my way. Not really celebrating this year, but that's kinda why I didn't really want to do something that didn't excite me. (My regular secular birthday isn't for a little bit ... the calendars are a while apart this year. Not planning to celebrate that one this year either.) You guys can feel free to skip the "happy birthday"s too ... as my brother likes to point out, it's not my real birthday. It's just the day I've occasionally chosen to celebrate. (If I was at Disney, I'd get a birthday button)

I won't say happy birthday as requested, but will say Happy Special Day to you! Hope you treat yourself to a latte :)

The 4th of July fireworks shows are identical in both Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom. Still a great show and at least when I last went to Disneyland on the 4th of July, it didn't really get intensely crowded until about 2 hours before the fireworks. Of course that was back in 2011 so it may have changed since then.

I loved the 4th of July fireworks at MK, so if DL is the same with fewer crowds ... sounds like I should check it out.

Those Dopey medal photos will be awesome. Hopefully I'll get around to actually finishing some prior started race trip reports and you'll get to see photos of what I called the Kessel Run Victory Tour.

Yay! I love the Kessel Run medal (Han Solo and Chewie are my favorite Star Wars character, so I'm all about the Millenium Falcon), so I'm excited to see pictures of your Kessel Run medals!

I won't say happy birthday as requested, but will say Happy Special Day to you! Hope you treat yourself to a latte :)

Thank you! I did get a latte ... but at Dunkin Donuts. I will be going to Starbucks for my birthday drink, but beyond that, not so much. I'm not happy with them because (long story short) they made it harder for me to know what drinks I can and can't get, so right now I'm not interested in giving them my money (it's a little bit of a longer story than that, but that's the basics of it).

Yay! I love the Kessel Run medal (Han Solo and Chewie are my favorite Star Wars character, so I'm all about the Millenium Falcon), so I'm excited to see pictures of your Kessel Run medals!
True story. I even took the 2018 Kessel Run medal to Disneyland this year. I wanted to get a picture with Rey and the Kessel Run medal so I did. Which led to a great interaction that culminated in Rey giving me a mission for the Resistance. So for those who like character interactions, wear your medal(s) when you meet characters. It may really increase the level of magic you experience.

True story. I even took the 2018 Kessel Run medal to Disneyland this year. I wanted to get a picture with Rey and the Kessel Run medal so I did. Which led to a great interaction that culminated in Rey giving me a mission for the Resistance. So for those who like character interactions, wear your medal(s) when you meet characters. It may really increase the level of magic you experience.

Some of the characters are great when they see your medals! Last year I saw Merida and she was hilarious. She said that they should let loose some bears on the course to get us to run faster.

Some of the characters are great when they see your medals! Last year I saw Merida and she was hilarious. She said that they should let loose some bears on the course to get us to run faster.

Yes! Character interactions with medals are awesome sometimes. The characters LOVE medals.
... And then you have Alice ask you how many miles are in a kilometer. Because it's not like they use kms where she comes from. Oh, Alice...

Now that is awesome! Now if you're like me and only really want to meet one princess, you may end up meeting more due to how Disney sets up some of the princess meet and greets. So when I was at Disneyland to meet Aurora after a race, I also wound up meeting Cinderella since she was right there. And she informed me that she hates running. Although it did work out pretty great for her that one time. This is why I remind people that the characters are real. Because that is staying in character and also relating it to guests.

The face characters can be so much fun after a race.

Yes! Character interactions with medals are awesome sometimes. The characters LOVE medals.
Especially Dale. Except he likes to eat medals.

NYRR R-U-N 5K: Race Plans

My first evening race! And my first race in a while (last race was June 3rd ... aka last Garmin).

Date & Location:
Thursday, July 26th, 7:00pm, Central Park

Getting My Stuff:
Plan is to pick it up at the NYRR RUNCENTER before work on Thursday. Theoretically, this is easy - get on the F near my house, get off at 57th & 6th, walk 2-3 blocks to the RUNCENTER, then grab the R/W at 57th & 7th to get to work. But ... the F station at 57th is closed for renovations. Ugh. So I probably have to either walk from Lex & 63rd (super far) or switch for the Q at Lex & 63rd and get off the Q at 57th & 7th.
Subways are stupid.

Outfit:
No clue.
Was thinking maybe my NYC skirt with a gray shirt, but the red in the skirt doesn't really go with Guava Lava (if that's what shoe I end up wearing). Goes very well with my Zantes, though.
Another option is what I wore to the Japan Run - INKnBURN Kaze shirt with a black skirt. That would probably look really nice with Guava Lava.
Another option is my Raw Threads mermaid shirt with a black skirt, which is what I wore to the Italy Run.
That about covers all of my short-sleeve shirts that aren't race shirts. :rotfl:

Getting To The Race:
Race Day Central is on the 102nd St transverse. Best bet is the 6 train, which stops a block from my office. Google Maps says it should take 35 minutes, so I'll probably leave the office around 6ish to get there around 6:30ish.

Race Plan & Goals:
So, there are two possible approaches to this race.
On the schedule for the rest of this week I have:
Wednesday - 1 mi WU + 3 mi 10K pace + 1 mi CD
Thursday - 3.1 mi Easy/LR
Sunday - 5 mi Easy/LR

Sunday's run will stay Sunday's run. But tomorrow will most likely be treadmill, and I really hate tempo runs on the treadmill. So I was considering maybe swapping tomorrow and Thursday ... do 3 mi @ Easy/LR on the treadmill tomorrow, then do a 1 mi warm up before the race (not hard since race day central is far from the start of the race), then the race @ 10K pace, then a 1 mi cool down afterwards.
Or I could stick to the original plan for Thursday and figure out tomorrow tomorrow.

No idea yet what I'm going to do.

I'll figure it out eventually.

Post-Race:
No idea. There are some happy hour deals in the area after the race, but happy hour is sad when you're alone, so I'll probably skip those. Most likely I'll just head back home, maybe grab a bagel or a sandwich on the way home. I'm super boring.

Track Me:
Since I'm picking up my bib on Thursday morning, I don't have a bib number yet. I will try to remember to come back and post it once I've picked it up.
Live tracking is available at https://liveresults.nyrr.org/e/NYRR-RUN5K-2018. I will try to remember to post that link again after I remember to post my bib number.
I'm definitely going to forget all of this, right?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter