Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

So ... my train was running with delays so I took the Express bus and I ended up right by my favorite coffee place in midtown and I'm out of cold brew ... but I had already made crappy instant iced coffee at home.
Its gonna be a fun day.

No one always likes running. Maybe it's time to unfollow/clean up your social media. If it doesn't bring you joy, get rid of it (unless it's me... ha).

I feel like you're telling me to clean my room. Which I need to work on tonight.
Although you're not entirely wrong about the social media thing either.

So ... my train was running with delays so I took the Express bus and I ended up right by my favorite coffee place in midtown and I'm out of cold brew ... but I had already made crappy instant iced coffee at home.
Its gonna be a fun day.
I think you should #TreatYoSelf to a good coffee this afternoon. It always makes me feel better.

I feel like you're telling me to clean my room. Which I need to work on tonight.
Although you're not entirely wrong about the social media thing either.
Social media can definitely make me feel "less than," so I think it can be good to take a step back. I'm terrible at comparing myself... and ya know, "Comparison is the thief of joy." (Which is a common phrase, but I find it to be SO true. )

Now that I have Spotify Premium, it's easier to make fun race-specific playlists. This idea first occurred to me while I was at a Yankees game a few weeks ago, and since the race ends near Yankee Stadium, I thought it would be cool to make a playlist of the batting music used by some of my favorite Yankees. I have 3 songs on my playlist (and that includes pitching entrance music ... because really, what is a Yankees playlist without "Enter Sandman"?).
I wholeheartedly endorse playlists themed to races. For Avengers 2017, my playlist was titled "Who Never Skips Leg Day? BATMAN!!!!" and featured mostly superhero music pieces. For Star Wars races, my playlist is titled "A Tribute to all John Williams Music, But Mostly Star Wars."

Anyway ... that was my whining. Some days I hate running, but I also know that I've backed myself into a corner where I can't stop. So I just have to keep going and hope the next day is one where I enjoy running again.
I appreciate your openness about days where you just don't like running and/or days where life is difficult. It's way too easy to think running is always wonderfully awesome and great fun when all we ever see are the smiling post race medal photos and/or beautiful photos from along the course or the run.

4 - A sense of community that will come crashing down when I stop running and will leave me heartbroken. I love you guys, but this happens to me a lot - I'm incapable of forming lasting relationships (I've got some theories on why, but that's not relevant), so once I'm no longer posting on here actively, I will lose touch with all of you. Same with my facebook running group. And somehow, even though I know it's coming, it'll still make me incredibly sad. Sigh.
I've thought about that too. I don't know what's next running wise after marathon weekend next year and I don't think I will actually run during the busiest time of year professionally when I don't have a race shortly after that deadline. To this point, I've only run Disney events and with the future of runDisney in Anaheim unknown, I don't know what comes next.

I think you should #TreatYoSelf to a good coffee this afternoon. It always makes me feel better.

Well it's 2 o'clock and I just finished my first coffee (and I've been eating all the chocolate, so that's probably not gonna happen).

I wholeheartedly endorse playlists themed to races. For Avengers 2017, my playlist was titled "Who Never Skips Leg Day? BATMAN!!!!" and featured mostly superhero music pieces. For Star Wars races, my playlist is titled "A Tribute to all John Williams Music, But Mostly Star Wars."

Do we need to talk about the difference between Marvel and DC?

I've thought about that too. I don't know what's next running wise after marathon weekend next year and I don't think I will actually run during the busiest time of year professionally when I don't have a race shortly after that deadline. To this point, I've only run Disney events and with the future of runDisney in Anaheim unknown, I don't know what comes next.

On the one hand, I think that's why it's good that I've started doing local races. It gives me something to do when runDisney is not an option.
On the other hand ... it kinda forces me into running even when I don't want to. I dunno. Local races aren't for everyone, but at least they're usually closer than runDisney (except in the case of those people for whom runDisney is a local race...).

1. I so hear you on the running and food thing. It's not fair that I work this hard at exercise and can't eat all.the.food. Because I WANT ALL.THE.FOOD!!
2. I will not show you my running clothes collection because its honestly embarrassing. I have so much more than I could ever need and I can't bring myself to add up how much money I've spent on running clothes.
3. I also miss sleep. The whole 5-day a week running is helping my running performance I do believe, but MAN, I miss sleep so much. :(
4. I can only hope that this community is the exception to your rule of not forming lasting relationships.

It's good to vent sometimes and maybe to realize you aren't alone in those feelings. :love2:

Do we need to talk about the difference between Marvel and DC?
I figured that if I'm going to run a race themed to superheroes, I would run as my favorite superhero so I went with a Batman tech shirt and a Yoda backpack. It was my silent tribute to/protest of the 2018 Light Side race I didn't get to run. I did have some Marvel music on that playlist.

Also, I always get a kick out of the people who run the Star Wars races dressed as Star Trek characters so it was my turn to be the contrarian if you will.

On the one hand, I think that's why it's good that I've started doing local races. It gives me something to do when runDisney is not an option.
On the other hand ... it kinda forces me into running even when I don't want to. I dunno. Local races aren't for everyone, but at least they're usually closer than runDisney (except in the case of those people for whom runDisney is a local race...).
I'm still at that point where the appeal of it all is the location of the race. Where do I get to run? What is there to see along the way?

Exercise is good for me, but the only time I've consistently done it is when I have a race on the horizon. Otherwise, I find all the excuses in the world to not do it.

Thank you for sharing that it’s not always sunshine, roses and rainbow pooping unicorns. CUZ IT’S NOT. Some days just really freaking suck because it feels like a chore and then makes you wonder is it really worth it?

I posted too soon.

I’d like to piss and moan about the negative stuff that comes with running more. I’m just not wanting to deal with the people in my life (and internet strangers) that will come and shame me for feeling that way. I know I’ll hear that I’m blessed to have two working legs, you are lucky to be able to do this at your age, be thankful you weren’t born with 3 extra big toes and an extra pinky toe...yada yada yada...

Also ... 99% chance I'm cancelling tomorrow's barre3 reservation. I have other plans, and I'm only keeping it for now in case those plans get cancelled in the morning.
Was originally on the waitlist for a class today, but I didn't feel like packing workout clothes this AM, so I cancelled. Which is for the best, because I felt bad rushing out of work yesterday, and right now it would be time to leave for a class and I'm still at work and probably not leaving for at least 15-20 minutes.
I only have one day available for barre3 next week, and I might have to cancel it because I'm possibly working from downtown that day and the commute might be tight.

I'm really not getting my money's worth out of this monthly membership...

Thank you for sharing that it’s not always sunshine, roses and rainbow pooping unicorns. CUZ IT’S NOT. Some days just really freaking suck because it feels like a chore and then makes you wonder is it really worth it?

Everyone knows that unicorns poop sparkles. I mean really.

I posted too soon.

I’d like to piss and moan about the negative stuff that comes with running more. I’m just not wanting to deal with the people in my life (and internet strangers) that will come and shame me for feeling that way. I know I’ll hear that I’m blessed to have two working legs, you are lucky to be able to do this at your age, be thankful you weren’t born with 3 extra big toes and an extra pinky toe...yada yada yada...

People are buttholes sometimes. If someone wants to take a few minutes to complain about their struggles or issues, let them!
Also ... I don't know about you, but I don't wear Vibram Five Finger shoes (I'm pretty sure you don't either, unless you have secret shoes), so ... how do you know how many toes I have??????? People are judge-y buttholes.

But then I have to clean up poop and sparkles. And if sparkles are anything like glitter, I cannot.

Well that's why the unicorns are in hiding and most people don't know they exist. People were very upset about having to clean up the sparkle poop, so the unicorns went into hiding to avoid having to interact with the angry humans.

I owe you guys a race suspense post. I wanted to write it tonight and didn't have time. Not sure when I will have time ... could be tomorrow, could be in three weeks. Until then, I leave you with the three races I'm looking at ... feel free to share any and all thoughts: (I might do none, I might to all three, I might do one or two ... so don't feel like I'm asking you to pick one, because I'm not)

10/28 - Poland Spring Marathon Kickoff (5M) - https://www.nyrr.org/races-and-events/2018/poland-spring-marathon-kickoff-5m

11/?? - Rangerstown 5K - https://www.nhl.com/rangers/fans/rangerstown-5k-run (this is last year's link (see if you can find me in the video!) - this year's info hasn't been released) - current 5K PR race

11/22 - PPTC Turkey Trot - https://nycruns.com/races/?race=prospect-park-track-club-turkey-trot-2018 - current 5M PR race

Thoughts? Ideas? Questions?
I definitely have some thoughts on all of these races, and I'm hoping I get a chance to share them soon.

I feel you about running not being fun some times. There are times especially right now in the heat where I feel like it will never get easier and I should just wait for cooler temps, but then I go out there and power through and feel better at the end.

I vote for the Turkey Trot, mainly because I want to run one some time. We have one in our town and they give every finisher a apple pie at the end. I have not done it yet as we are always in Maine, but some day.

I'm voting a minimum of Rangerstown because it is is hockey and not college football related. All of these sound dreamy as they will not all be 80 degrees and humid.

I feel you about running not being fun some times. There are times especially right now in the heat where I feel like it will never get easier and I should just wait for cooler temps, but then I go out there and power through and feel better at the end.

I'm not convinced that I'll feel any differently when the temperature gets better, but ... yeah, this heat/humidity can suck the fun out of anything.

I vote for the Turkey Trot, mainly because I want to run one some time. We have one in our town and they give every finisher a apple pie at the end. I have not done it yet as we are always in Maine, but some day.

I've done this Turkey Trot the last three years, and the pies are only for the top 3 men and women, so I have to settle for a shiny medal. Pies for everyone sounds pretty cool.
Thanks for the input!

I'm voting a minimum of Rangerstown because it is is hockey and not college football related. All of these sound dreamy as they will not all be 80 degrees and humid.

Schedule permitting, I'm most likely doing Rangerstown. I love that race. I'm all about the hockey races. No college football races for me.
Thanks for the input!

Everyone knows that unicorns poop sparkles. I mean really.

People are buttholes sometimes. If someone wants to take a few minutes to complain about their struggles or issues, let them!
Also ... I don't know about you, but I don't wear Vibram Five Finger shoes (I'm pretty sure you don't either, unless you have secret shoes), so ... how do you know how many toes I have??????? People are judge-y buttholes.

My neighbor wears vibrams for his daily walks. But he doesn’t have the greatest fashion sense. He wears flared athletic man capris all day every day with his vibrams.

My neighbor wears vibrams for his daily walks. But he doesn’t have the greatest fashion sense. He wears flared athletic man capris all day every day with his vibrams.

Is he by chance Japanese? I have several male co-workers who run in capris at lunch. As it is not just one of them, I think it is a local fashion choice they bring with them when they move.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter