Light sabers...worth the money?

I just searched ebay and got 17 results for 'Sabi's workshop lightsaber', plus a bunch more that didn't match all the words.

One person is even taking requests so he can go build the bidder a lightasber at Savi's and send it to them, I guess he has two slots reserved or something. $289 a pop.

It's sort of odd but understandable, there's money to be made - most of the lightsabers are going for $300-$500. Disney is probably going to be seeing a lot of this, people going in and building lightsabers intending to go sell them on ebay. The bummer is that because they're doing that, somebody who really wants to build one for themselves won't be able to get in.

They won't turn away a parent with 2 kids, (so the builder + 2), but they will turn away an extra adult. Their space is limited and it is hot in there for the CMs...those outfits are toasty

Just wanted to report that I was able to take my wife and two young children with me, and I was the only builder. So 4 people total with one purchase. It's up to the cast members though. My wife asked first and after that none of the cast members questioned it. If my kids were older they would probably have said no.

Personally, I'm thinking I'll go for the droid instead. I think these experience-based purchases are a smart move on Disney's part; I wasn't interested at all in buying a shoulder banshee until I learned that it's a whole adoption process from a rookery, and now I'm having to actively talk myself out of it (still might do it, but if I build a droid...maybe not; one expensive experience-purchase is probably enough per trip). So I'm looking at this in terms of wanting the experience and the memory of doing it, and the lightsaber appeals to me a lot in that sense from everything I've heard about it...but for $100 less I can build a droid that will probably give me more long-term enjoyment (and I think the droid will be easier to fit in my luggage).

We just got back from WDW. Shoulder Banshees are on sale for $60 (even less with AP discount)!

(On a side note - I used the saber for a gender reveal -- I had someone order it for me and we had no clue what color it would be when ignited --- so the extra cost was worth it there too).

If these are near the caliber of those - $200 for one you get to craft INSIDE a themed Star wars land with parts you pick yourself? Yes. Worth it if your kid (or you) will PLAY with it. Worth it for a decoration? probably not.

First, let me say that yours is the type of gender-reveal party I'd love to attend. Did red stand in for pink? Did you agree on your own color code? Did you not have to test the issue because you got a blue lightsaber? 😁
Yeah, these are for a combo of people who will really savor the experience, people who do actually mount lightsabers on their walls (like friends of mine--they also have Hogwarts crests on another wall, and a TARDIS centerpiece), and people who want to cosplay with them.

they interact with the crystals. there are different ones, in even the same color group
I still don't understand what they do. "Interact with the crystals" doesn't mean anything to me.

Whoever mentioned that there is an adoption process for the darn shoulder banshees: you've just sold one for Disney, as I have multiple kids that will freak out for such an experience.

I know the light saber is powered by the kyber crystal, but there must be a "battery backup". I have not seen it mentioned anywhere but where are the batteries located? Are they easy to change?
The battery pack is located under the pommel. Remove the pommel, pressed down on the black speaker (where all the sound comes from) twist and pull out. You then need to remove one screw to get the cover off. It's pretty simple. You MIGHT also want to take the battery pack out for long term storage, since the internal kyber crystal light is often on.

First, let me say that yours is the type of gender-reveal party I'd love to attend. Did red stand in for pink? Did you agree on your own color code? Did you not have to test the issue because you got a blue lightsaber? 😁

BLUE = BOY
PURPLE (which has a pink hue) = GIRL.

I had my sister in-law order and test it for us.
The lightsabers (from Ultra-saber) are all grey sticks until you ignite them.

Somebody posted a very informative video on YouTube showing how to change the batteries, if you can swap parts, etc. and also addressed the question of whether or not you can use them for combat.

And the short answer is no, they aren't heavy duty enough. You'll break the LED lights inside, and also the parts are just clipped or screwed on and might come apart during the fight. They're OK for cosplay as long as you don't try to do more than just some light kid-type fighting. If you really want to fight with a lightsaber, you'll need a heavy duty lightsaber made for combat, which you can get at sites like Ultrasaber.

Yeah, these are for a combo of people who will really savor the experience, people who do actually mount lightsabers on their walls (like friends of mine--they also have Hogwarts crests on another wall, and a TARDIS centerpiece), and people who want to cosplay with them.

I still don't understand what they do. "Interact with the crystals" doesn't mean anything to me.

Whoever mentioned that there is an adoption process for the darn shoulder banshees: you've just sold one for Disney, as I have multiple kids that will freak out for such an experience.

Sith Holocron

Alliance holocron review

I have had a few ultrasabers for a couple years. We play with them sometimes as it’s fun and a bit of a workout. But, the best time to own one of these is during a power outage! It gives you something to do and they are bright enough to light the bathroom, etc.

These sabers seem to me that they are collectors items. As a toy for children I'd maybe consider buying one they can have fights with. I'm not buying one myself, but as a Star Wars fan I'm looking forward to guesting at a build. Some day when I can mount one on the wall in my retirement house, I'll buy one myself.

My fiance and I can't wait to make our own lightsabers! I think the people who have too many extra people not building need to find people like us. We're a party of two, making two lightsabers, so we have two spots of non builders not being used. I'd definitely bring someone's spouse or kid along and stand by their group inside so they got to be there.
Mostly my big question is how long are the blades when not attached? I've seen 31" (online and on the WDW website) but I've also seen 36". 31 I might be able to fight in my luggage, 36 is going to be a problem. I have another year to collect data but I like to know everything about everything going into it and prepping for how to get that from FL to CA beforehand is important. I'll just carryon my hilt and my droid.
2 lightsabers, 2 droids, 2 holocrons, and at least one of every kyber crystal color available. Plus many droid additions (he wants the R2 series and it has so many extra bits). We're easily spending 1k in SWGE. But we're childfree, and it's going to be our honeymoon. He likes SW well enough, and I cry when the theme music starts playing. So it's totally worth it for us.

I loved the whole experience of savi’s. There definitely is the Disney magic in it.
I loved it so much I’d do it again but I don’t need two of them

My fiance and I can't wait to make our own lightsabers! I think the people who have too many extra people not building need to find people like us. We're a party of two, making two lightsabers, so we have two spots of non builders not being used. I'd definitely bring someone's spouse or kid along and stand by their group inside so they got to be there.
Mostly my big question is how long are the blades when not attached? I've seen 31" (online and on the WDW website) but I've also seen 36". 31 I might be able to fight in my luggage, 36 is going to be a problem. I have another year to collect data but I like to know everything about everything going into it and prepping for how to get that from FL to CA beforehand is important. I'll just carryon my hilt and my droid.
2 lightsabers, 2 droids, 2 holocrons, and at least one of every kyber crystal color available. Plus many droid additions (he wants the R2 series and it has so many extra bits). We're easily spending 1k in SWGE. But we're childfree, and it's going to be our honeymoon. He likes SW well enough, and I cry when the theme music starts playing. So it's totally worth it for us.

Maybe we should start a tagalong thread :p I would love to do it but $200 is too expensive. Thats about half the cost of my annual pass! I’d gladly stand silently behind someone just to watch the process.

I know the light saber is powered by the kyber crystal, but there must be a "battery backup". I have not seen it mentioned anywhere but where are the batteries located? Are they easy to change?
Wanted to update as I finally found the battery compartment as needing to change them proved a good motivator. They’re opposite of the blade on the hilt. If you take off the “bottom” piece there’s a small black plastic area that you push down and twist to release the battery compartment. You then need to undo the one screw on the side of the compartment to slide out the batteries.

I have had a few ultrasabers for a couple years. We play with them sometimes as it’s fun and a bit of a workout. But, the best time to own one of these is during a power outage! It gives you something to do and they are bright enough to light the bathroom, etc.

Thanks, that's how I'm going to justify building one in December to DH, LOL! Unfortunately we live in an area prone to power outages -- it'll be an expensive emergency light, but I'll take it, LOL!

Trying to plan in advance for our trip and save money as my husband is a HUGE Starwars fan. In the past there have been places you can build your own light saber in Hollywood Studios and at Disney Springs. I do not remember paying THAT much for them in the past. Is there really a big difference in this new experience and quality of the product?

The original photo I saw of them they looked much nicer than the previous ones you could make but the more photos I see the more I think they look the same!

$199.99 is just a lot of money to spend when we already have 3 of the ones you could make before at home.

The Savis lightsaber can ONLY be found/made in GE @ Savi's, DS are the kids toys, plastic and a flashlight! ZERO comparison to the quality of the Savi's, they are metal and have some good weight to them and add to it that you get to build it AND have a very personal experience at Savi's, it is about 20 or so mins, depends on how fast the builders get them done, you are paying for the experience and quality of the saber, so IMHO YES IT IS WORTH IT!!!

Somebody posted a very informative video on YouTube showing how to change the batteries, if you can swap parts, etc. and also addressed the question of whether or not you can use them for combat.

And the short answer is no, they aren't heavy duty enough. You'll break the LED lights inside, and also the parts are just clipped or screwed on and might come apart during the fight. They're OK for cosplay as long as you don't try to do more than just some light kid-type fighting. If you really want to fight with a lightsaber, you'll need a heavy duty lightsaber made for combat, which you can get at sites like Ultrasaber.

The Saber come with instructions on how to change the batteries, there is a folded card on the sheath they give you to put it in and explains all that is needed.......

As far as combat, ugm, no these are more or less collector items for the SW fan and other then kids messing around no need for a fight........

I kind of chuckle when I hear about people wanting to roleplay fight with these or let their kids do so. I wouldn't spend $200 on a toy that you know your kid is going mess up and most likely break. That's why the $20 plastic ones exist.

^^ I agree, $200+ seems pricey for a toy that will likely break when your child smacks it into a wall or the side of your house and won't last any longer then the $20 version. However, the answer probably depends on whether you are in the: 1) pinch pennies to afford a Disney trip or 2) money is no object club level crowd......LOL. Seems to be a mixture of those 2 groups on this site.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter