Likes/Dislikes BCV, BWV and AKV

MemphisTN

Earning My Ears
My wife and I have decided to buy into DVC, but are debating whether to buy BCV, BWV or AKV. We both like the idea of being near the water and the setting of BCV and BWV. We have a 5 yr old and a 2 yr old so we also know that they would enjoy the animals at AKV and the contract wouldn't expire until later down the road. The later expiration date would be for my kids benefit not mine, I would be pushing 90.

We have stayed at AKL in 2006 so we kind of know what to expect as far as setting, but haven't been to either BCV or BWV but have only seen photos. So I was hoping some of the more seasoned DVCers could give me some helpful insight on what they liked and disliked about these resorts.

Thanks in advance for any opinions or thoughts on these resorts.

BCV has StormAlong Bay which is one of the better pools. It has a pretty large kiddie pool section with a sandy beach play area, and for the older kids a lazy river and pirate boat water slide. It's also closest in walking distance to Epcot. There's a very good character restaurant onsite (Cape May) so you can get your Minnie & friends fix. The parking lot also lays right outside the building, so that's a plus. And there are two other quiet pools you can use. The room layout is virtually identical to BWV, VWL and SSR but with different decor. BCV does come with dedicated 2 bedroom units with 2 queen beds while BWV only has lockoff units.

Downside is that the views aren't that great (Epcot views overlook a fairly busy street and the back of buildings) and the pool is a bit of a maze. It's easy to lose track of your little ones when they have just enough skill to swim away from you. Also it shares its amenities with two hotels (Beach Club and Yacht Club), so it can feel crowded. BCV also has some of the fewest available rooms (200-some) so it's more important to plan early if you want to stay during busier seasons.

BWV has a two-tier system for points making it possible to spend only OKW or the cheaper AKV version of points for a Standard View room (those face the Boardwalk entrance). Or you can book a room with a Boardwalk/Epcot view, one of the best views on-site. The other rooms face the canal to MGM, pools and Swan/Dolphine hotels. There's a large rollercoaster themed pool with clown water slide and a Community Hall. The resort has twice the number of rooms at BWV (500-some) but those cheaper views and Boardwalk view are less than half the total resort.

Downsides include the distant parking lot (across a bridge) and long hallways. From end to end, BWV is .25 mile. There is no counter-service marketplace but you can get food from vendors on the Boardwalk. Some complain the noise from the Boardwalk is too much at night. And of course for those with a fear of clowns, the waterslide is a source of nightmares.

You do lose 15 years on a BCV/BWV contract, but you'll get something AKV won't give you... walking access to a lot of non-resort activities. Boardwalk amenities are going until midnight or later, and you have the ability to walk to Epcot and MGM (or take a ferry). It's a great location.

Now AKV will give you a longer contract and by all accounts the new village pool looks to be a great feature pool. Of course, you have the safari outside your window. If you like that theme, then it's a good buy. Also, if you have another child or want to bring a guest, this is the only resort that will let you sleep 5 in a 1 bedroom.

We are BWV owners and have been there a few times. What we love about the BWV is the boardwalk area and happenings. At night along the boardwalk there is "strolling" entertainment, very popular with the little ones. We have seen the jugglers, magicians, musicians and I love to watch the faces of the little kids and see their excitment. There are shops, restaurants, including an ESPN with a video arcade, a face painting station,hair braiding station, carnival games, pizza window, etc. The Boardwalk itself has a good pool area, with a kids water play area, a community hall that offers crafts activities for the kids, bike rentals, dvd rentals, etc. It's a very fun family oriented area and you can take the boat or walk to Epcot and MGM.
I have never stayed at Y&BC or BCV, but I have seen the pool area, which is very very popular with the kids, as it is a small "water park" in itself with a sand bottom pool. Also located here is Beaches and Cream Ice Cream Parlor, also very popular with families. It is a closer walk to Epcot from here, but not by much. Boats are also available for travel to Epcot and MGM. Again, we are BWV owners, and I will say we have never regretted buying here, and love it just as much today as when we bought it. Good luck with your decision.

Thank you for your input. We have been leaning towards buying in at BCV with a smaller contract around 100 points and once the Contemporary is reality then buying a larger contract there.

It is always good to get real people's opinions versus just reading what the marketing department at Disney put together.

thanks

Well if you want my biased opinion, I'd buy into BWV over BCV. My reason?

Well BCV's smallness means more problems getting bookings and a few wait list nightmares. Secondly, I'm not a fan of StormAlong Bay, the resort's main attraction.

I also find the walk from the Boardwalk to Epcot more scenic. The downside, as I said, is the parking. But I would just plan to fly in or leave my car parked and use Disney transportation.

AKV is a resort I've enjoyed visiting for several years. (I love Boma's and just chilling by the firepits in the lobby.) But it's remoteness concerns me enough to not want to fork over the cash for an add-on. I don't have the issue of a 5 member family so that's not a selling point for me. And lastly, the resort is planned to be bigger than BWV so I expect I'll be able to stay there on occasion with my SSR points.

Keep in mind, I own at SSR and am happy with that as my home resort. I get all the advantages of the Boardwalk area (save the park access) and 12 extra years on my contract. I also have a dedicated 2 bedroom booked for a family trip this October. I plan to buy an add-on at the Contemporary when/if it comes around too. That way I can have walking park access to a favorite destination, monorail and a pair of long contracts onsite. But if I was going to dip into the 2042 pool, I'd buy BWV just so I could be certain to get a Boardwalk View during the festivities.

BWV has nore TS dinig options than BCV (although BCV isn't that far away). However, I find the BC Marketplace at BCV to be much more convenient for CS than anything at the Boardwalk. Yes, you can walk to Epcot for your CS, but if it's raining, you can reach BC Marketplace without going out into an uncovered area. But the BWV BW views are the best views ever!

We own BWV, BCV and SSR and plan on buying AKV, not that that makes me any more or less informed but you asked for opinions so I thought I would begin with my credentials. Love, love, love BWV, OKW and AKL (not completely sure about AKV but I'm pretty sure I'll feel the same way). I'm not particularly crazy about BCV mainly because I love, love, love BWV. I'm not a pool person, we lay out every day but prefer the quite pool. The BCV's SAB is always extremely busy, and with young kids, it is way too hectic and big to relax, you really have to be on top of your kids (jmho). We love OKW because it is so relaxing and beautiful, in our opinion there is a different feel to OKW that does not exist anywhere else we have stayed, my DD's would never be bummed about staying at OKW. We've only stayed at SSR once, we like the proximity to DDT (being a single parent I have never really been able to check out DDT's night life because the girls were too young to participate) and look forward to exploring that part of Disney. Long story short I gave BCV to my oldest DD last year for her high school graduation gift, I will give SSR to my youngest DD when she graduates in '09, but nobody is getting my BWV. A side note, two years ago we stayed at BCV in a two bedroom for a week and then moved over to AKL concierge for three nights (4 of us in a regular hotel room), I was worried because we were downsizing significantly - we never left the resort, never made another one of our resv. or went to any of the parks, obviously we think highly of AKL. Sorry this is so long, I think in the end you will be happy where ever you purchase. Good luck.

Alice

If you aren't aware of this - most of the rooms at VAK will be in a seperate building - I'm not clear how "walkable" this distance will be (AKL is pretty spread out already - the hike to Mara from our room was a HIKE).

Just to clarify an earlier post, while the hallways at BWV are long, they are not 0.25 mile.

When I measured them a number of years ago, I believe the number was about 830 feet from the farthest room to the front desks. That's a little less than 3 football fields, or 0.16 mile.

At a typical walking pace of 2.5 mph, it will take 3.6 minutes to walk the full inside, zigzag, length of the building.

We love the BCV. That said, we are in the pool with our little ones, and do not risk "losing them." We view going to SAB as a family outing, not a chance for Mom and Dad to catch a few winks by the pool while the kids go off and play. :beach:

The BWV has a much smaller pool ~ that said, the slide is awesome, and it has kept our kids entertained for hours. There, we can lay in lounge chairs, and keep an eye on them. Also, we LOVE Jellyrolls and the BW nightlife.

Either way your choices are a win because you will be at the greatest vacation destination ever! Good luck with your decision!

The later expiration date would be for my kids benefit not mine, I would be pushing 90.

Yes, this may be true, but you will still be pretty young when BWV, and BCV expire. That is alot of money to spend, and then loose access when you are still young enough to travel with Grandchildren. Since they are almost the same price, it seems like a no brainer to go with AKL.

BCV has StormAlong Bay which is one of the better pools. It has a pretty large kiddie pool section with a sandy beach play area, and for the older kids a lazy river and pirate boat water slide. It's also closest in walking distance to Epcot. There's a very good character restaurant onsite (Cape May) so you can get your Minnie & friends fix. The parking lot also lays right outside the building, so that's a plus. And there are two other quiet pools you can use. The room layout is virtually identical to BWV, VWL and SSR but with different decor. BCV does come with dedicated 2 bedroom units with 2 queen beds while BWV only has lockoff units.

Downside is that the views aren't that great (Epcot views overlook a fairly busy street and the back of buildings) and the pool is a bit of a maze. It's easy to lose track of your little ones when they have just enough skill to swim away from you. Also it shares its amenities with two hotels (Beach Club and Yacht Club), so it can feel crowded. BCV also has some of the fewest available rooms (200-some) so it's more important to plan early if you want to stay during busier seasons.

BWV has a two-tier system for points making it possible to spend only OKW or the cheaper AKV version of points for a Standard View room (those face the Boardwalk entrance). Or you can book a room with a Boardwalk/Epcot view, one of the best views on-site. The other rooms face the canal to MGM, pools and Swan/Dolphine hotels. There's a large rollercoaster themed pool with clown water slide and a Community Hall. The resort has twice the number of rooms at BWV (500-some) but those cheaper views and Boardwalk view are less than half the total resort.

Downsides include the distant parking lot (across a bridge) and long hallways. From end to end, BWV is .25 mile. There is no counter-service marketplace but you can get food from vendors on the Boardwalk. Some complain the noise from the Boardwalk is too much at night. And of course for those with a fear of clowns, the waterslide is a source of nightmares.

You do lose 15 years on a BCV/BWV contract, but you'll get something AKV won't give you... walking access to a lot of non-resort activities. Boardwalk amenities are going until midnight or later, and you have the ability to walk to Epcot and MGM (or take a ferry). It's a great location.

Great analysis of BCV and BWV! I agree! The only point I would add is that BWV has 7 huge GV's where BCV does not. (If you own BWV you can dream)

We own at BCV (two trips) and recently stayed at BWV.
Our take on each (which will pretty much repeat the above)

Both share a great location and are very close to each other so many of the closeness to restaurants/parks are not too significant.

BCV..
- smaller more intimate resort
- SAB - great pool (but is a 2 parent event)
- dedicated 2 bedrooms w/2 queens in some
- very close parking
- more common room space
- calming beachy theme (BWV not so much)
- not the greatest views

BWV
- much larger resort with more activities
- community hall
- boardwalk entertainers
- Boardwalk view room catagory - with great views
- Standard view room catagory - with great point price
- Grand villas - Heaven!

AKL -
We have stayed in the lodge and really enjoyed our stay. AKL seems to be a heavily themed resort. Some may love it, and some may not (similar to VWL) and is a personal preference. I think that if you love it, it is a good choice.

- Extremely well themed very large resort (the size of VWL in the lodge and size of BWV for the new building)
- The Animals!!!!
- great restaurants
- Concierge Rooms
- Value Rooms
- 5/9 in a 1/2 bedroom
- extra bath in the new building 1&2 bedroom
- longer contract

I agree with most of the good and bad points of all the resorts. However here is my two cents.

We bought a resale sight unseen at BWV and have only stayed there once since buying 5 years ago. We love OKW just for the fact that with the lower point values we can pretty much visit more than once a year with our yearly amount of points. We also love OKW because the rooms are HUGE! Also, after our first time at BCV, which we thoroughly enjoyed, we noticed that the kitchen facilities needed a much needed upgrade. The fridge was tiny with no ice maker compared to OKW which is full size with the ice maker. The stove was a regular electric one with the removable spiral burners. OKW has the smooth top glass ranges, which we have at home and absolutely love! (sorry)! There is also a separate laundry room with a full size washer and dryer, not the little closet with the stacked and smaller versions. The jacuzzi tubs are much bigger at OKW and if you have a car you can park right in front of your villa.

As far as the point that was made about how far is it to the parking lot at BWV, since you are a DVC member you get free valet parking at BWV which negates the problem of the lot being so far away. So dont put BWV down a notch because of the parking.

When I measured them a number of years ago, I believe the number was about 830 feet from the farthest room to the front desks. That's a little less than 3 football fields, or 0.16 mile.

I was measuring from end to end of the resort. But yes, to the front desk you trim some off your trip. You get it back when you go down to the Boardwalk level to eat.

BCV is .12 miles end to end, but then it is .21 miles from the middle of the resort (elevators) to the kiddie pool of SAB.

I do not like the fact that all BWV 2 bedrooms are lock offs and therefore do not have 2 Q's in the second bedroom. The fact that many of BCV's dedicated 2 bedrooms also do not have 2 Q's in the second bedroom is a mark against BCV too! I know the score at OKW, but steps are not something that I deal with easily, so that rules OKW out for many trips. The times we have stayed there have been wonderful experiences, (1st floor or elevator building).

Now, there will be dedicated 2 bedrooms with 2 Q's in the second bedroom at AKV, so that's why we did an add on there.

We like real beds and DH just feels that he will not invite a friend or family member and expect them to sleep on a fold out. I don't feel as strongly as he does on that score. We have had guests sleep on the sofa beds, but have always told them ahead of time...no one seems to mind as much as DH does.

Bobbi:goodvibes

Here is what we like about each of the resorts you are thinking about.

AKV: savanna/animals, theme (African thatched-roof, hewn-timber lodge in a savanna setting inspired by the historic expeditions of 19th century), concierge (sunrise safari at AK and sunset safari at AKL) and Jiko, possibly the best executed immersive themes on property.

BCV: location (adjacent to Epcot, near Studios and Boardwalk), SAB, theme (early 20th century Mid-Atlantic "stick-style" seaside resort), 11 month booking for December to enjoy CP/Illuminations and a short walk home afterwards, great selection of restaurants from Studios to Epcot and the resorts in between

BWV: location along the "Boardwalk" and reduced point rooms, same access to great selection of restaurants as BCV

Thank you for all of your opinions on these resorts. I am going to have to reread all of the posts once I get home so I can digest all the information.

If you're thinking of a studio, I just thought of another difference between BCV and BWV. In a lock-off, at BCV the connecting door is on the other side of the kitchenette, by the front door. At BWV, the connecting door is in the main area, usually by the patio slider. As a result, I find it much less quiet in a studio at BWV, even though I put a rolled towel at the base of the door. I haven't checked that in the drawings of VAK to see where the door is.

Slightly different perspective:

I like them all. You can't really go wrong with any DVC. They each have endearing qualities.

Dislikes: leaving + then waiting for the next trip.

Of all the problems that one could have, which DVC is the best one of all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter