Lions and Tigers and CGI Bears, Oh My! June '16 - COMPLETED 6/4, page 22

Day Zero, The Last Day Before the Trip, the Day We Actually Left Home, or Whatever You Want to Call It

The week before our trip was completely hectic - the last week of school, prepping for Disney, and, on top of that, my brother, sister, nephews, aunts, uncles, and cousins coming into town for our grandmother's 100th birthday :)

Knowing there would be no time for packing over the weekend, we got the majority of it wrapped up on Wednesday. Kristin and her mom paired clothes (yeah, we do that), and we got all the paper plates, protein bars, sunscreen, and whatever else you need to go to Disney earlier in the week.

Then...

There's some debate over what should officially be "0 days until Disney World". I say it has to be the day we arrive in Disney. Kristin says that means we never get to change the countdown to zero, since we stay in a hotel the night before we fly out. She has a point, but I stand by my opinion.

Oh, and we should have removed the "S" magnet. 1 Day. Not 1 Days. Amateur. Pure amateur.

I was up at 4:30 on Sunday, June 12th to take my siblings and nephews to the airport. Our nephews are boys, 18 and 15, so Dylan and they basically played video games the entire time they were here. The last night, due to their early flight, they all decided to not go to sleep. I slept on the couch, so I didn't exactly sleep much at all. But I slept some. Plus, after dropping them off, I could go back to bed.

Also happening that night was Dylan's new overuse of the word"cheeks", meaning "not good".

Dylan went to sleep when they left, and when I got home, I played around on the computer a little before going to bed. I checked out CNN's site, and the headline was the Orlando nightclub shooting. Horrible, just horrible. And we're going to that area in one day. Not anything you want to read the day before you travel. Or ever. My heart goes out to the survivors, and families of the victims :(

I do get some more sleep, and eventually, we all get up. We can go at any time, but there's really no rush. Dylan mows the lawn, then we head out to continue another (relatively new) tradition to uphold first - the Disney movie the day we start our trip!

This time, it's "Alice Through the Looking Glass", which we all loved. Was it over-CGI'd? Absolutely. But it works in those movies. Great story, and the actors are all wonderful.

After that, it was time to go! To New Jersey, that it. We fly out of Newark tomorrow around 9:15, and if we stay over, we can leave our car at the hotel for free. We do it every year, and it's great.

The car is PACKED, literally.

It looks like Emily got a hold of the phone.

Enough of that, now - let's eat!

Our stop is the Clinton Station Diner in Somewhere on 78, New Jersey. A lot of people love this place. It's good, but I'm not the biggest fan of diners. I don't even remember what we ate, but we ate it in a train.

It's smooth sailing the rest of the drive, and we reach the hotel before 8:00. We have an early morning tomorrow, so it's a brief battle with the horrible in-room wi-fi for some Trivia Crack and DISBoards reading, and then off to bed.

Oh, and this.

Alright, it's bed time. This was kind of a cheap, cop-out of an update, but don't worry - we'll get to Disney soon!

(Up next - Day One - Arrival at Coronado Springs, Dinner at Maya Grill)

Last edited:
OMG the handstand/headstand! That is my life! I must yell at least 27 times a day "stop doing gymnastics in the house." And Emily's nails! Wow! How can she even DO a handstand with those nails?

Excellent start. It may be a short update, but I'll take it. I can't judge.

Like I said in my TR, the travel day update isn't all that exciting but it is part of the trip, therefore a necessity.

Glad it went well for you!

Last edited:
An update is an update! Kinda like us leaving New York via car like a whole week before we actually get to Disney. We descend upon my parents' house in the Villages (an hour north of WDW) like locusts. Great way to get the excite to build up :)

I love that you have the same brown fridge that's made its appearance in you other trips! It's very comforting; even though the kids have grown up and changed, the brown fridge remains the same!

Cool! How was your weather?

Well, we got to experience Tropical Storm Collin on Day 2 (June 6). Other than that, it was your typical afternoon rain in Florida.

We travelled with DS15 and DS16 along with DS16's friend who is 17. Could have had Dylan join in the teenage boy fun!

Can't wait to read more!

Well, we got to experience Tropical Storm Collin on Day 2 (June 6). Other than that, it was your typical afternoon rain in Florida.

We travelled with DS15 and DS16 along with DS16's friend who is 17. Could have had Dylan join in the teenage boy fun!

Can't wait to read more!
We were there then too! 6/4-6/11

I could argue it either way as far as if it should be 0 days or 1 day left on the countdown - although since it specifically states "until Disney World" then it really is still 1 day until you get there despite 0 days before starting vacation.

One thing is clear, it should be 1 day, not 1 days - agree with you there!

Seems like all in all it was a fairly relaxing day - nice to not have to rush out of the house at a specific time - though reading about the Pulse Club shooting right before you were about to head to the area I am sure added to the stress!

I bet I have passed that train dinner 100 times on I78 and we have never stopped there ... and your "ringing endorsement" doesn't necessarily motivate me to do so in the future, but maybe one day

I have so many emotions about this trip report! 1. Could I BE anymore excited that you are back with a trip report? 2. I am sad that we were there at the same time and I didn't see you. 3. I am anxiously waiting to see if I show up in any backgrounds of your pictures!

ps. The answer to number 1 is no, I could not be any more excited! :)

You gotta have a travel day in there......necessity. Well, it would be nice to magically appear there. I'm sure Disney is working on that.

Following along, just switch from POFQ to CSR (I keep switching resorts), looking forward reading. You are an awesome writer.

Oh, my gosh! So happy to find that you're doing another trip report! Your baby gorilla report was one of the very first where I actively participated rather than just being a creepy lurker :crazy:

I enjoy your writing style. Looking forward to this! :cool1:

I love your countdown, and remember seeing your button magnets in your previous TR. May I ask where you got them?

Joining in! I lurked on your last TR and really enjoyed it! Love your writing style! Can't wait to see what kinds of shenanigans went on during this trip. My son and I were at DW June 2-7 and noticed the summer crowds growing larger with each day. Hope you were able to navigate the crowds and handle the heat! Can't wait to read more

Kelly

You have to write about the travel day(s) - it just helps build the excitement.

Your meal in the train made me think of Dr. Seuss' Green Eggs and Ham.

"And I will eat them in the rain.
And in the dark. And on a train.
And in a car. And in a tree.
They are so good, so good, you see!"

Have a nice 4th of July weekend!

OMG the handstand/headstand! That is my life! I must yell at least 27 times a day "stop doing gymnastics in the house." And Emily's nails! Wow! How can she even DO a handstand with those nails?

They're press-ons, but they held up well!

Like I said in my TR, the travel day update isn't all that exciting but it is part of the trip, therefore a necessity.

Glad it went well for you!

Another travel day update, coming tonight!

An update is an update! Kinda like us leaving New York via car like a whole week before we actually get to Disney. We descend upon my parents' house in the Villages (an hour north of WDW) like locusts. Great way to get the excite to build up :)

I love having the trip have some events prior to reaching Disney! It does build it up.

I love that you have the same brown fridge that's made its appearance in you other trips! It's very comforting; even though the kids have grown up and changed, the brown fridge remains the same!

It's a classic!

Can't wait to read more!

Yuck, I heard about that. Glad it only affected one day!

Dylan certainly didn't run into a lot of other guys his age at CSR.

We were there then too! 6/4-6/11

June was great this year.

I bet I have passed that train dinner 100 times on I78 and we have never stopped there ... and your "ringing endorsement" doesn't necessarily motivate me to do so in the future, but maybe one day

A lot of people I know love it, but it's really just a diner to me. They do have some absurdly sized burgers you can get for free if you can eat them in the allotted time.

I have so many emotions about this trip report! 1. Could I BE anymore excited that you are back with a trip report? 2. I am sad that we were there at the same time and I didn't see you. 3. I am anxiously waiting to see if I show up in any backgrounds of your pictures!

ps. The answer to number 1 is no, I could not be any more excited! :)

Thanks! I was on the bus from CSR to MK with those Adventures of Peas and Carrot vloggers, but I didn't say anything. Let me know if you show up!

You gotta have a travel day in there......necessity. Well, it would be nice to magically appear there. I'm sure Disney is working on that.

Monorail from my house.

Following along, just switch from POFQ to CSR (I keep switching resorts), looking forward reading. You are an awesome writer.

You'll love CSR, if you haven't been there already! POFQ was our favorite, until Coronado.

Oh, my gosh! So happy to find that you're doing another trip report! Your baby gorilla report was one of the very first where I actively participated rather than just being a creepy lurker :crazy:

Baby gorillas do have that effect on people.

First nilla TR reader! Subbing :)

Welcome! Hope you enjoy it!

Oh! BTW, Happy 100th to your grandma! That's awesome!

She's great! Almost every one of her great-grandkids were there! We all went back to Shady Pines afterwards and played bingo. She won one of the games. She's a hustler.

I love your countdown, and remember seeing your button magnets in your previous TR. May I ask where you got them?

We make them! The glass is squashed marbles or something - Wal-Mart has them. We cut pictures, letters, and numbers out of magazines and glue them to the glass with Mod Podge glue (dries clear). Krazy Glue a round magnet on the back, and you've got a magnet!

Joining in! I lurked on your last TR and really enjoyed it! Love your writing style! Can't wait to see what kinds of shenanigans went on during this trip. My son and I were at DW June 2-7 and noticed the summer crowds growing larger with each day. Hope you were able to navigate the crowds and handle the heat! Can't wait to read more

Kelly

We've been there so many times there that crowds are never a problem! Since we don't feel the need to see everything 5 times anymore, it's much easier!

You have to write about the travel day(s) - it just helps build the excitement.

Your meal in the train made me think of Dr. Seuss' Green Eggs and Ham.

"And I will eat them in the rain.
And in the dark. And on a train.
And in a car. And in a tree.
They are so good, so good, you see!"

Have a nice 4th of July weekend!

"Would you, could you..." was a standard line in our house for years! Thanks for that :)

I always look forward to reading your trip reports!

You're in luck - you need to wait no longer :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter