Little boys in the women's restroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Withacy

DIS Veteran
I'm taking my 7 year old godson to Disney World later this year, and it will be just the two of us. I've taken my nieces, and my goddaughter (his sister), but this is my first quality time with a little boy away from his mom. My first thought was that 7 was old enough to go into the men's room by himself (he can certainly handle going to the bathroom & washing his hands by himself), and to wait outside while I go into the women's room. But that isn't how his mother sees it. She's as worried about him waiting outside alone as going into the men's room alone. :scared:

Going into a family bathroom seems inappropriate.

I certainly don't want her worrying, his first trip away like this - so I assured her I'd take him in the women's room with me. Is this going to create a problem? :scratchin

NOT AT ALL! And if anyone gives you strange looks for taking such a young child into the ladies room, ignore them with a smile. At that age, I'd have him stand right outside the stall door where I could see his feet and keep up a running conversation OR have him use the stall adjacent to mine (wait for two next to each other) and he's not allowed to leave the stall until I'm done.

No way no how would I let my boys alone in a mens room in such a busy public place at that age. Seriously, it's just not worth the risk.

You won't have a problem with this at Disney as there are a whole lot of other ladies in the same situation.

I don't think it would be a problem at that age. That's the age where I just start letting them go into the mens room, and only certain ones. Ds10 takes his 6 year old brother when DH isn't around.

still take my very tall 8 year old into the ladies room...especially someplace as crowded as DW. i always just smile at people if they give me the look...if they keep giving the look i just say your only eight and there is no way i'm sending you into the mens room alone and if someone has a problem with it it's their problem

This is hard to determine. I have let my 7 year old use the rest room in public places while I waited outside the door for him. It makes me very uncomfortable. I don't do it often. I would not want him waiting outside while I was in the restroom for sure. I know 7 is getting a little old to go into a women's restroom, but they aren't going to see anything. There are doors on the stalls. It would be much different taking a girl into the men's room! You may get some weird looks, but saftey of the child is most important. I'm lucky I usually have my 2 boys with me everywhere. I feel better when they are together in the men's room. Still not ideal, but saftey in numbers.

If you do let him go into the men's room, make sure he know there are often 2 exits. Children can get lost if they leave by one exit while a parent is waiting by the other.

I think this is one of those times where you put the safety of the child first and not worry what others will think. You'll never see any of them again anyway. I would take my 7 year old son in the women's restroom with me.

Well, I have every intention of taking him into the women's restroom because that's what his mother wants. I've taken my nieces (separately) and godchildren to Disney World because I love them, I can afford to go (I'm single, no children, with a good enough job to afford one extra on my trip), and their parents couldn't afford to take them. But as much as I enjoy my time with them (as much as I enjoy going to Disney with other adults), I'm always aware that they are not my children and I try to follow their parents' wishes. pixiedust:

His mom's my oldest friend, and she's really not overprotective and has never tried to micromanage these trips. That's why I was a little surprised by this. But then again, I'd never really thought about it either (not being a mom myself). So I wanted to check with Moms who know to see if this was a big deal or not. Thanks for filling me in! :grouphug:

Don't forget, there are Family Restrooms all over WDW. Not the same frequency as others, but you can use one of those, too, if you want. I wouldn't send a 7 year old into a public bathrrom alone, no matter where it is.

Don't forget, there are Family Restrooms all over WDW. Not the same frequency as others, but you can use one of those, too, if you want.

I've never used them, but I assume those are one large room. This is not her child, so I don't think I would be comfortable taking someone else's child into a bathroom like that with me.

Don't worry about this at all.

I take my boys with me all the time. Womens bathrooms have stalls. It is much worse trying to take a girl in the mens bathrooms.

The good thing about family restrooms are that with one entrance, you can stand outside and still know where your child is. This works if only one kid has to go. Otherwise I would not use with children from different families at the same time.

I think this is fine. My DS is turning 5 next week and I can guarantee it is going to be a very long time before I let him go into a restroom alone. If anyone has an issue with this, it is their problem.

I have a 7 yr old DS and I always take him to the ladies' rest room with me if DH isn't with us. Not only would I not feel comfortable sending him to the men's room alone, I also wouldn't want him standing outside the restroom alone if I had to use the facilities.

I personally would bring him in with me. It's way too easy to get lost in a large place, especially when it's so crowded. Also, I may be totally wrong, but I thought some of the bathrooms at WDW had 2 different exits??? I'm sure you'd lose a kid if that's the case. We'll be hopefully heading back in Sept. with my DD and DS who just turned 7, and I'll be bringing him in with me anytime my DH is not with us. I'd give the mom the piece of mind and just take him with you.

I think 7 is fine, but I'd cut it off at 9 (since that's when WDW cuts off their child price tickets). There have been some times when I've seen a rather old boy in the restroom. I don't really care, but I think it's more awkward for the older guys. And a few times, I've seen little boys come in by themselves which is a little odd imo.

He'd probably be okay by himself in the bathroom, but if his mother wants him in the ladies' room with you, then take him. There are a few restrooms that have two doors which can be confusing. Better safe than sorry.

How about sending him into the family restroom alone and waiting outside? Nobody else would be in there with him and you would be at the exit. I guess that doesn't address the issue of you having to use the restroom, though.

At a place like Disney, both of my boys will go in with me if my dh isn't with us, one being 10 the other will be 8. When I travel with my 3 kids by myself and we stop to go to the bathroom, we all need to go and we all go in the womens. If I'm at Walmart here in town or if I don't have to go to the bathroom, I will wait outside the mens while my boys go in. And I still start to panic after 2 minutes. I don't care what people think, my childrens safety is my main priority!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter