Little one no longer wants to visit Disney

karyathena

Earning My Ears
Anyone have this issue? 7 yo niece says she doesn't want to go back to Disney. We've gone every year for past 6 years (one year twice). 5 yo nephew still loves it and wants to go. Sister, BIL and I have a trip planned for September. We don't know how to broach the topic, her reasoning is 'too much stuff is planned'. Her parents and I have always encouraged their own likes and dislikes. Would just like some info or tips from anyone who has experienced this. Thanks!

I would talk to her about what parts of Disney she does enjoy and go from there. Does she enjoy swimming? Maybe plan a water park day or just more time at the pool than you usually do. If you have three adults one person could stay and let her sleep in and hang out at the resort one morning while the others rope drop. Or she might enjoy hanging out at Disney Springs for part of a day. Don’t plan the entire trip around her, but I would ask each kid their top three things and try to make those happen.

Splitting up on a trip can work well. One adult can do water park & resort time with the 7 year-old, while others tour the parks with the 5 year-old. And which adult goes with which kid can switch each day. I bet she'd love getting away from her little brother for a while and being the center of attention.

Her perspective is valid, btw. A vacation shouldn't have to be planned like a military operation, especially when a 7 year-old is going. Reflect on your plans, and the fact that although all the planning might maximize activities, it's also completely turning off your niece to the magic of Disney.

Last edited:
Anyone have this issue? 7 yo niece says she doesn't want to go back to Disney. We've gone every year for past 6 years (one year twice). 5 yo nephew still loves it and wants to go. Sister, BIL and I have a trip planned for September. We don't know how to broach the topic, her reasoning is 'too much stuff is planned'. Her parents and I have always encouraged their own likes and dislikes. Would just like some info or tips from anyone who has experienced this. Thanks!
We don't know your DN's likes and dislikes but asking her advice in planning a day or two of your vacation might help. I'm just back from a 6 night trip with 2 kiddos in the 13 y/o range and faced that thought with one of them pre trip. I listened to her wants and chose 4 days of park visits and the others w/o. Visited a water park one day and ate an early dinner at a DS restaurant the kids chose on the way back: pizza and a salad at Mario and Enzo's QS followed by everyone's pick for dessert. Two opted for the Ganachery, one for Sprinkles, and the last for Vivoli Gelato. After eating we window shopped for a bit and then it was back to the resort. Another free day was utilized by sleeping later than normal and visiting a nearby park (HS) in the evening jumping on any ride we could get a FP for. I'd planned another night park visit to see Illuminations but they preferred to play around on the hotel's green doing gymnastics, playing ball, and watching a movie. They were perfectly content watching the higher fireworks on the Boardwalk and renting a surrey bicycle.

The thing is we left enough time open in our schedule to ensure that the kiddos' wants were met in advance and if we missed a long sought after FP so be it; the ride would be there another time. DGD has already made clear that she needs a Disney break this summer (we normally go for the 4th of July) and would prefer to return to camping this July. Fine by me on many levels and her too.

Have fun out there as all see it and you'll have a memorable trip!:).

I agree with the others. If "too much stuff was planned" on the past trips, consider cutting back on your plans. I have taken DS11 to WDW at least 30 times since he was 1 and I learned really quickly that he can only really tolerate about 1/2 days in the parks. He then needs time to chill and be spontaneous. The upshot is, I've done a lot of off-the-beaten path activities at WDW that I probably never would have done if I just went park commando all day long.

I LOVE WDW but the rest of my family are not as crazy about it. We have a lot of fun and have made wonderful memories but given the choice they would go elsewhere. We spend a lot of time renting boats(although it gets crazy expensive)and trying different activities. We will walk the boardwalk and visit different resorts. FW is great for getting away from the crowds and the canoes are fun. I really don't think anything is up with your niece maybe she doesn't enjoy amusement parks. We've spent thousands on Disney vacations(like most)and when asked my kids favorite vacation to date is a cheap road trip we took out west. My dh and I have been spending more time and less money visiting National Parks and cutting our WDW trips down a little. It works out well as I still am able to feed my Disney addiction. Your niece is not old enough to have much say about a vacation. I'm sure once she arrives she will have fun. I wouldn't worry to much.

I plan our 3 initial FP+ and a TS ADR for each day. Beyond that (and perhaps a tour or other planned activity), my boys do not follow a touring plan. We go along with whims, splitting up and park hopping as needed. Perhaps some days like that would be more to DN's liking. As much as I like to plan, including making touring plans that don't get used, I find that I really enjoy letting a kid take the lead in the moment.

ETA sometimes the youngest just wants to go back to the resort and relax.... luckily Dad or a big brother handle that.....I usually dislike giving up park time 8-).

Last edited:

Agree with other posters about: splitting up the adults and kids for different activities; finding out what “top three things” your niece would most like to do and include them; and scheduling more down time.

I am guilty of overplanning and I witness this with other parents at WDW too. We pull young kids away from activities they are enjoying to use a FP or get to an ADR on time. In a moment I’m not proud of, I made my preschooler leave the Wreck it Ralph playground at Epcot to go use a FP. He had made new friends and was having the time of his life. Leaving made him and his new friend cry. But in my mind, we have playgrounds at home, but we don't have spaceship earth at home.

Now months later, my preschooler still says that playground was one of his favorite things we did at WDW and asks when we can go back. Know what he doesn’t mention? Spaceship earth lol.

Maybe since you go so often she is just ready for something different. Have you considered a Disney cruise. Maybe it’s more her style and everyone gets their Disney fix!! We love the cruises, very Disney but very relaxing. (But also very expensive)

I think if you go yearly, you can scale back on the "do all the things" mentality that tends to plague people when they go to Disney (I'm guilty of it too).

This last trip I went in with some top three items and everything else was gravy.

too much stuff is planned

Sounds like you just should plan less. So maybe mix it up some if you feel like you need plans, plan some days and leave others open. We generally visit with essentially nothing planned. Sometimes we choose the park based on the first bus to show up, fastpasses day of or night before, and make dining reservations usually on the way to the restaurant. It’s much more relaxing than having a strict schedule to follow.

Sounds like she wants a more laid back vacation which is probably not synonymous with Disney World. I would take a year off or make other plans for her.

ETA one of mine decided she didn't want to do Disney anymore around that age. She decided it wasn't worth spending so much time in line for so little time on rides. We took some time off and now try to focus on non-ride stuff inside the parks.

We haven't been to disney yet as a family, but I know that even on long weekend vacations my daughter who is 7 gets a little stressed if there's too much going on and will frequently say "This is supposed to be relaxing, I don't want to be so busy!". It's awesome that your family takes trips together every year and I'm sure a lot of memories are made, but I agree with the others that you don't want to miss the forest for the trees - I can't imagine that you guys would have less fun as a family if you made more room for down time :)

My 9 yo stepdaughter was all set to go, then 3 weeks before the trip, she announced that she really didn't want to miss school. Now that she's an adult, a parent herself, we offered to take her and our grandson (DH would LOVE that!), but she just doesn't have an interest in going back. Not much of a Disney fan.

Well, at 7, she doesn't get to decide where the adults paying for the trip choose to go, so it's all about making her feel understood. I would explain that the trip is already booked, but that you "get" her feelings about too much stuff being planned, and want her to feel comfortable too. Ask if she remembers specific times she was upset on previous trips, or if there are certain things she wants the group to have time for on this trip. Tell her you'll use her answers to adjust the planning. (And if that means splitting up at certain times, I'm all for it!)

Kids want some control over their world, but total control actually frightens them. All she really wants is to have her feelings are taken seriously.

I would remind her she’s 7 now and gets to do some bigger kid stuff. Idk if she’s been on any roller coasters yet? The Goofy one in MK barn stormer is a Great first time roller coaster! I know my seven year old couldn’t stay up late enough for the fireworks she was wore out. So now maybe she can see a night time show somewhere she hasn’t seen? There is So much new stuff at the parks every year it’s hard to say your bored with them, especially if your only 7. Think of all the new snacks and treats they have this time ? Maybe it was the getting there she doesn’t like also ? Try and spice that up a little? But also, their just kids, this week they say they don’t want to go but when you get there it’s a whole different thing lol ! Good luck! Hope all of you have fun !

As others have said, I don't think you need to cancel, but you do want the child to feel listened to. I can see how WDW might seem, to a young one, like miles of walking, and getting dragged away from something fun to get to the next FP or ADR. Perhaps you could try a modified touring style--maybe do morning ADRs and FP, then have afternoons be more free-wheeling. Or alternate days when you take a slower pace, something.

Then for next year, consider planning something else for a vacation. I found that, with my kids, WDW every other year gave them time to "miss" it, and they would really look forward to going back, seeing old friends, so to speak, and seeing what's new. It also might give her a new-found appreciation for how much she enjoys the parks. Or not--not everyone loves the Disney-type vacations, and that's okay.

How crazy is your planning? If it's too structured where the kids are constantly being pulling in a million directions and told that they can't stop because we need to be here in X minutes then they may get tired of it.

Sounds like she may have picked up on the adults who are doing the planning are stressing WAY TOO MUCH when it comes to Vacation and what's supposed to be a fun Family time.
Why don't you include the children in the planning? Let them be the decision makers this go round.
Sit down with them. Go over each Park, and ask them what rides or shows THEY want to see. Where THEY would like to eat.
Do this for each Park. Make it about the childrens' wants. Not the Adults.
My grandchildren are fortunate to be able to go to Disneyland/DCA whenever they wish, but they don't like going all the time. They like it if it's a special occasion. And they've been able to go to WDW quite a bit too.
Last WDW trip was to have been a Christmas present from their grandfather and I, but he passed away unexpectedly. Was to have been a surprise.
So as a way to make it a more special trip, to keep their minds off of other things, I insisted we make it about them. They (8 and 5 at the time) picked out the attractions and the restaurants. We didn't stress about FP's. Didn't let a time-table govern our week. And we had a fabulous time. We had 80-90 deg weather the entire Christmas/NY Week, no rain, and we even got in some swimming.
A fabulous vacation - kid planned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter