Long Term Campers....Should it be allowed?

No mileage secret. First my number was one way. Otherwise, I have a 28 foot Airstream that I pull with a 2016 Silverado, gas, with the lager V8. It has a neat feature that it only runs on 4 cylinders when it can. My trip is 2600 miles to the fort. I can get 15/16 miles to gallon. ( I cruise control it at 60/62 mph). So trip takes about 170 gallons. My quick recent survey showed average gas prices on the trip to be $3.10 per gallon so that gets us to $527.00 one way. (edit: My quick search of airfare from Fresno CA to Orlando was running over $600.00 per person round trip. I know that is high and if I could get to one of the larger CA airports much cheaper. But then I would be faced with a 15/20 day parking fee, or about $250.00. Also the closest big airport is 2.5 hours away in good traffic, oh this is CA, we never have good traffic in the big cities.)

Please note for all you trailer pullers. This is my 3rd trailer. The first two were your traditional box trailers. This Airstream is nothing like them. I have given up putting the sway control on the hitch. There is no reason. I never have felt the trailer move at all. One of my biggest problems is remembering it is behind me when I get on one of those nice long stretches of road. (not good forgetting about the 9000 pound gorilla behind you!)

Last edited:
Anybody can make a reservation of up to 30 days in length up to 500 days in advance be it for one night or all thirty.

No rule prevents consecutive reservations.

I don't see a problem. Other than some folks wait too long to make a reservation and can't get all the dates they want.

Until the rules change, the rules is the rules.

Bama Ed

Ps - travel agents have to play by the rules too. A couple years ago, one was caught abusing the TA privleges and was forced to leave. She posted a flaming DIS post on the camping board expressing her feelings. It was probably posted on more than one Internet forum. I knew enough to get a screen grab before it was taken down. Which it was in less than 2 hours.
I would love to see that.

No mileage secret.

One of my biggest problems is remembering it is behind me when I get on one of those nice long stretches of road. (not good forgetting about the 9000 pound gorilla behind you!)
15/16 mpg. I get that with my truck... not towing. :)

I could probably do a little better if I ever went 60 for long stretches. Not towing I usually do about 75. Towing, I set the cruise on 70 (the speed limit on most of the interstates around here). Wind is the big factor with my trailer. With no wind, I get 9.5-10 mpg pretty consistently. The 780 miles to GSP, I got 10.1 going down and 9.8 on the way back. Last week I was in Wisconsin with the trailer. 380 miles one way. Cross head wind on the way up. 8.8. Nasty head wind most of the way back home- 8.5.

It is funny how easy it is to forget the trailer is on. Mine goes 42ft and weighs about 14,000 and I still have to remind myself.

But, back on topic, since this is about long term stays. I'm looking forward to the days when I can spend a month or so at the Fort and not have to worry about mpg or forgetting the trailer is behind me.

j

But, back on topic, since this is about long term stays. I'm looking forward to the days when I can spend a month or so at the Fort and not have to worry about mpg or forgetting the trailer is behind me.

j

Yep! For those talking about their first month of retirement being at the Fort - I'm jealous and will very much try to follow that lead. Unfortunately, that's still 20 years out!

We have two. One is through Good Sam. The other is AAA.

Thanks! I'll check them out. Is the AAA through your membership or through an insurance policy? We have Premiere membership and I know it includes RV towing, but I don't think it includes 'transport'. If it can be added as a rider onto our insurance, that works too!

j

I hear that! But MAN, it's expensive! DH likes the idea, but not the cost.

No mileage secret. First my number was one way. Otherwise, I have a 28 foot Airstream that I pull with a 2016 Silverado, gas, with the lager V8. It has a neat feature that it only runs on 4 cylinders when it can. My trip is 2600 miles to the fort. I can get 15/16 miles to gallon. ( I cruise control it at 60/62 mph). So trip takes about 170 gallons. My quick recent survey showed average gas prices on the trip to be $3.10 per gallon so that gets us to $527.00 one way. (edit: My quick search of airfare from Fresno CA to Orlando was running over $600.00 per person round trip. I know that is high and if I could get to one of the larger CA airports much cheaper. But then I would be faced with a 15/20 day parking fee, or about $250.00. Also the closest big airport is 2.5 hours away in good traffic, oh this is CA, we never have good traffic in the big cities.)

Please note for all you trailer pullers. This is my 3rd trailer. The first two were your traditional box trailers. This Airstream is nothing like them. I have given up putting the sway control on the hitch. There is no reason. I never have felt the trailer move at all. One of my biggest problems is remembering it is behind me when I get on one of those nice long stretches of road. (not good forgetting about the 9000 pound gorilla behind you!)

Don't think I drive slow because I am an old fart, rather, I have learned the hard way. I have had a lot of issues over the years with trailer tires. When you read up on them they are designed for no more then 65 mph. Over that, stress on the sidewalls can give you a lot of problems. I hate tire issues.

Silverado with no trailer, over 20 mpg.

John

Don't think I drive slow because I am an old fart, rather, I have learned the hard way. I have had a lot of issues over the years with trailer tires. When you read up on them they are designed for no more then 65 mph. Over that, stress on the sidewalls can give you a lot of problems. I hate tire issues.

Silverado with no trailer, over 20 mpg.

John
Back to length of stay. We would love to come to the fort much more often for 3-5 days at a time mid week but living 2200 miles away, that is just not possible. Our only option is coming and staying for 3-5 weeks at a time in order to make it financially and mentally worth it. Oct-Nov is best for weather. We came this spring and had to outrun bad storms both going east and back west. Probably no more spring trips. 6 weeks at the fort was out longest fort stay so far and we had no problem with res. See everyone late Oct.

Don't think I drive slow because I am an old fart, rather, I have learned the hard way. I have had a lot of issues over the years with trailer tires.
No judgement, John. Some are just more comfortable at 60. They arrive to the Fort just like I do. I understand on the tires. That's why I went to load range G tires that are rated to 80 mph. They roll SO much better than the Es that came on the trailer.

its a once in a lifetime dream for us, we skipped a 30th wedding anniversary to New Zealand (you wanna talk expensive$$) so we could enjoy more time at the fort.
We just spent a week in St Thomas. That was about half the cost of a WDW trip. DW wants to go to Europe in 21. Even if the exchange rates stay good, I'm expecting that one to top a WDW trip, so no Disney that year.

Our only option is coming and staying for 3-5 weeks at a time in order to make it financially and mentally worth it.
I only come half that far and I prefer at least 10 days. That being said, I'm going down Saturday for 4 days (flying though) and next year for the DIS Meet will only be 8 days.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter