Looks like they are testing magic band stuff at DL today!

I loathed the FP+ at WDW and am honestly hesitant to go back. We rode a lot less with FP+ than we did with legacy passes. Not to mention the lines at rides that never had lines before. And we are park hoppers, but not being able to reserve FP's at two parks in one day was ridiculous. I think we ended up doing standby for something we had a FP for because there was no line earlier in the day. It then became a big pain to try and get FP's once we got to the second park.

I hope DL never implements this awful system. I think the ones who love it are the ones who love to plan every minute of their day months in advance. It's not a good system for the ones who want to play it by ear.

I agree with you Lora...the Fast Pass+ system definitely benefits those that plan in advance...but is that really a surprise?

We live in a society that that loves the ability to purchase and plan in advance. Think about all the stories you have heard recently about people trying to pre-purchase tickets for the new Star Wars movie. That movie doesn't open up for two months...yet the sheer volume of pre-order sales crashed Fandango, Movietickets, AMC and various other major websites. I read an article yesterday titled "Star Wars: The Force Awakenings is Obliterating All Movie Pre-Sales records".
When you read stories like that, one can easily understand why companies are racing to implement "pre-planning" / "pre-purchasing" business strategies. How does this relate to Disney?? For many people / families a trip to WDW or Disneyland represents a significant financial expense...therefore people want the ability to pre-plan their trips to make sure they are maximizing their time and experiences in the parks.

Let's be realistic...Disney is not going to do anything that pleases 100% of their customers. The best Disney can do is implement business strategies that appease the majority of their customer base. Obviously...members of Disney management team felt the majority of their customer base would prefer the FP+ system. It is not my intent to disrespect anyone who enjoys "winging it" or "playing by ear"...but realistically those customers that want to play it by ear are at a distinct disadvantage. But if the majority of Disney's customer base feels the Fastpass+ system adds value...then Disney made the right decision implementing the system at WDW. And they should consider implementing at Disneyland. If the Fastpass+ system was a step in the wrong decision...there would be stories discussing the fact that WDW's revenues, margins, profits, and stock price dropped after the Fastpass+ system was implemented. That has not been the case. Based on second quarter 2015 results, Disney's Park and Resort division experienced a 6% and 24% increase in revenues and operating income, respectively. Those results were driven by the 7% increase in attendance and guest spending at WDW. I am not claiming the improvement in financial performance is all attributable to Fastpass+...but it does indicate that the Fastpass+ system is not driving people away from WDW.

At some point...I believe the Fastpass+ will eventually be implemented at Disneyland.

I would hope TPTB at Disney would take a long, hard look at the types of visitors they have at Disneyland vs WDW. The FP+ system, in it's current form at WDW, will not work at DLR.
Beyond the factor of locals and AP holders that go to DLR with little advanced planning, the folks at DLR are notoriously bad at planning themselves and don't releases schedules or information before about 30-45 days out...I'd love to see them suddenly get their act together enough for people to have their plans in place and start choosing rides at 30-60 days out. Not likely. :lmao:

I loathed the FP+ at WDW and am honestly hesitant to go back. We rode a lot less with FP+ than we did with legacy passes. Not to mention the lines at rides that never had lines before. And we are park hoppers, but not being able to reserve FP's at two parks in one day was ridiculous. I think we ended up doing standby for something we had a FP for because there was no line earlier in the day. It then became a big pain to try and get FP's once we got to the second park.

I hope DL never implements this awful system. I think the ones who love it are the ones who love to plan every minute of their day months in advance. It's not a good system for the ones who want to play it by ear.

I was able to ride way more with MM+ than I ever could using legacy FP. I was able to get FPs for things with the window opening as soon as I got the FP. With legacy, you have at least a 40 minute wait for the window to open. I would get a FP for say jungle cruise at 3 for 3-4, use the pass immediately, an get a pass for Pirates for like 3:30-4. use that immediately and get a FP for Splash at 4:30 etc. I did 11 FP attractions in a day that I didnt get to MK until 12. It was a busy non party day. Obviously you arent going to get A&E or 7DMT passes same day usually, but most of the other smaller attractions that people now wait in longer standby lines for you can usually get a FP for immediately until they close the kiosks

But if the majority of Disney's customer base feels the Fastpass+ system adds value...then Disney made the right decision implementing the system at WDW. And they should consider implementing at Disneyland. If the Fastpass+ system was a step in the wrong decision...there would be stories discussing the fact that WDW's revenues, margins, profits, and stock price dropped after the Fastpass+ system was implemented. That has not been the case. Based on second quarter 2015 results, Disney's Park and Resort division experienced a 6% and 24% increase in revenues and operating income, respectively. Those results were driven by the 7% increase in attendance and guest spending at WDW. I am not claiming the improvement in financial performance is all attributable to Fastpass+...but it does indicate that the Fastpass+ system is not driving people away from WDW.

At some point...I believe the Fastpass+ will eventually be implemented at Disneyland.

I don't believe there's a correlation between guests finding "value" in FP+ and attendance/revenue being up. I believe WDW attendance would have been up regardless - as is DLR's reportedly without FP+. As for revenue, yes, I think that may well be in part due FP+ at WDW - it drives people to stay on-site. Not specifically out of satisfaction or finding value in the program, but rather out of sheer neccessity.

And there-in lies the reason, imo, FP+ has not said boo yet at DLR. Where's the money? Where are the vacant hotel rooms? The space to buid more DVC? Golf courses, boats, horse carriages, fishing, magical extras everywhere you turn? Nope, they do not exist at DLR. And reasonably speaking cannot due to lack of space. So....what is the point to add FP+ at DLR? Sure, there will be guests who find value in it, but where is the value for the company? How would it add to their bottom line and create additional spending? As well, DLR does not have the pressing need to ration rides - there are rides a plenty at both parks. SWL will be a clean new slate and I do expect them to have it there. But that's a totally different scenario than retrofitting exisiting queues and spaces for a program that does not have a clear cut expected profit at the end of the day.

Will it come to DLR in some very tweaked format at some point? Probably. But not because it's a value-adder for guests, neither those who like it nor those who don't.

Let's be realistic...Disney is not going to do anything that pleases 100% of their customers. The best Disney can do is implement business strategies that appease the majority of their customer base. Obviously...members of Disney management team felt the majority of their customer base would prefer the FP+ system. It is not my intent to disrespect anyone who enjoys "winging it" or "playing by ear"...but realistically those customers that want to play it by ear are at a distinct disadvantage. But if the majority of Disney's customer base feels the Fastpass+ system adds value...then Disney made the right decision implementing the system at WDW. And they should consider implementing at Disneyland. If the Fastpass+ system was a step in the wrong decision...there would be stories discussing the fact that WDW's revenues, margins, profits, and stock price dropped after the Fastpass+ system was implemented. That has not been the case. Based on second quarter 2015 results, Disney's Park and Resort division experienced a 6% and 24% increase in revenues and operating income, respectively. Those results were driven by the 7% increase in attendance and guest spending at WDW. I am not claiming the improvement in financial performance is all attributable to Fastpass+...but it does indicate that the Fastpass+ system is not driving people away from WDW.

It doesn't have anything to do with pleasing customers and everything to do with making more money. You ride less with FP+ and spending more time in the shops, restaurants, ect. spending money. Of course their margins went up. It's working.

As far as planning versus winging it. Legacy fastpass actually takes a lot more of a strategy to make the most of it. That's why we liked it so much. We know how to optimize it. It doesn't take a whole lot of planning to make a reservation for a ride. FP+ better for the general public, but not those who enjoyed the hunt of the old FP system.

I was able to ride way more with MM+ than I ever could using legacy FP. I was able to get FPs for things with the window opening as soon as I got the FP. With legacy, you have at least a 40 minute wait for the window to open. I would get a FP for say jungle cruise at 3 for 3-4, use the pass immediately, an get a pass for Pirates for like 3:30-4. use that immediately and get a FP for Splash at 4:30 etc. I did 11 FP attractions in a day that I didnt get to MK until 12. It was a busy non party day. Obviously you arent going to get A&E or 7DMT passes same day usually, but most of the other smaller attractions that people now wait in longer standby lines for you can usually get a FP for immediately until they close the kiosks

I am assuming you stayed on property so everything worked out great for you. For us, we planned the trip about 90 days out when we were offered a time share we could not refuse. I was not even aware of the FP+ system so when I went to make reservations I was not able to get any of the good rides. I think I was only able to get test track. On the last trip we did not ride Soarin' or TSM at all. The lines were too long. For the most part most lines weren't bad, we didn't even need FP's on many of theml, but the FP+ took away the rides that we used to use FP for.

It doesn't have anything to do with pleasing customers and everything to do with making more money. You ride less with FP+ and spending more time in the shops, restaurants, ect. spending money. Of course their margins went up. It's working.

As far as planning versus winging it. Legacy fastpass actually takes a lot more of a strategy to make the most of it. That's why we liked it so much. We know how to optimize it. It doesn't take a whole lot of planning to make a reservation for a ride. FP+ better for the general public, but not those who enjoyed the hunt of the old FP system.

I think you missed the point...

My comment about "pleasing customers" was not the primary reason I believe the Fastpass+ was implemented. My commentary was a response to people complaining about the Fastpass+ system. Occasionally businesses make decisions that don't please everyone...and you either deal with that or take your business elsewhere.

Don't think for one minute I don't understand exactly why Disney implemented the system...the Mouse is all about enhancing the bottom line and maximizing shareholder value.

Last edited:

I don't believe there's a correlation between guests finding "value" in FP+ and attendance/revenue being up. I believe WDW attendance would have been up regardless - as is DLR's reportedly without FP+. As for revenue, yes, I think that may well be in part due FP+ at WDW - it drives people to stay on-site. Not specifically out of satisfaction or finding value in the program, but rather out of sheer neccessity.

And there-in lies the reason, imo, FP+ has not said boo yet at DLR. Where's the money? Where are the vacant hotel rooms? The space to buid more DVC? Golf courses, boats, horse carriages, fishing, magical extras everywhere you turn? Nope, they do not exist at DLR. And reasonably speaking cannot due to lack of space. So....what is the point to add FP+ at DLR? Sure, there will be guests who find value in it, but where is the value for the company? How would it add to their bottom line and create additional spending? As well, DLR does not have the pressing need to ration rides - there are rides a plenty at both parks. SWL will be a clean new slate and I do expect them to have it there. But that's a totally different scenario than retrofitting exisiting queues and spaces for a program that does not have a clear cut expected profit at the end of the day.

Will it come to DLR in some very tweaked format at some point? Probably. But not because it's a value-adder for guests, neither those who like it nor those who don't.

You welcomed to your opinion regarding the perceived customer value... But I stand by my assertion taking a trip to WDW is a significant financial expense for many families. I believe you look at everything from the costs associated with hotel & food accommodations to airline prices to park prices to how much time you can and are willing to spend at each park. If you feel the Fastpass+ system will allow you to maximize your time in the parks...then the Fastpass+ feature adds value and may be one of many reasons you elect to come to park. Can I definitively say that the Fastpass+ system is solely responsible for the increase in attendance and park revenues based on specific financial results? Nope...but can you prove definitively that the acceptance of the Fastpass+ system was not a direct factor in WDW's financial results? I am betting the answer is no... I think we can both agree that the concept of "value" is a subjective topic...but that does not necessarily mean the customers do not perceive or believe there is some measure of "value" attached to the Fastpass+ system.

I don't disagree with your commentary about the rationale for bringing the Fastpass+ system to Disneyland. But let's be real here...if there is a way to increase the bottom line by implementing the system in some form or fashion...Disney will find it. As you mentioned, the initiation of expansion projects such as SWL will provide them the opportunity to potentially offer the Fastpass+ system in Disneyland. That is why I made the comment that I believe at some point the Fastpass+ system will come to Disneyland.

Last edited:
WDW passholders can only make advance fp+ reservations for 7 days in a 30 day period. I think this is very unfair; I understand they don't want us booking FP every day, but those who buy a park ticket longer than 7 days get to make FP+ reservations for each day of their ticket. Why should visitors get to pre-book more FP than passholders?

We are long time WDW passholders and in our experience, FP+ has slowed the lines down significantly. We just made our first trip to DLR last week and were so glad to use the paper system. We never waited more than 30 seconds to get past the first checkpoint in a DLR fp line, or at WDW a minute before the change. Now we routinely wait 5 minutes to get past the first checkpoint. People don't line up the bands correctly and it takes forever to scan. The cards aren't as slow but most people wear the band. Paper fp they take one second to glance at the pass and you're off. You still get people returning at an incorrect time too. Paper fp it's right there, there's no arguing about it; fp+ guests argue with the poor CM, wanting let in, saying they didn't know the time or thought they'd changed it etc etc.

Excuse me, but everyone is a "visitor" to a theme park. I'm not trying to start a squabble, but that irked me.

Aren`t ticket buyers paying more for admission . A 5 day Park Hopper costs more than the lower tier AP for the whole year ( minus the block out dates ). So 7 times how many months equals= ?

Aren`t ticket buyers paying more for admission . A 5 day Park Hopper costs more than the lower tier AP for the whole year ( minus the block out dates ). So 7 times how many months equals= ?

I guess? Yes, the SoCal Select AP is $329 vs the 5 day ticket which I think is $275. But this lower tier AP is not available to everyone and is severely limited as to how many days you can visit. So the ticket buyer pays more but gains an advantage in when they may visit.

The ticket buyer is great for Disney in that they pay more per day. The AP holder is also great for Disney because they fill the parks during slower times. They are all valued guests.

Since this conversation has gone beyond planning a vacation at Disneyland, I'm moving it to our Community Board so you can continue your discussion.

For WDW, a 10 day non-parkhopper is $365. The only passes cheaper than that are the weekday and Epcot after 4. Theoretically, there could be passholders who rarely use the pass and actually pay more per day than a 10 day pass. A silver passholder who goes 10 times would be paying slightly more per day. But probably most of us use them plenty and drive the cost per day far below a multi-day ticket.

Excuse me, but everyone is a "visitor" to a theme park. I'm not trying to start a squabble, but that irked me.

I believe at Disney, we are all "guests." :upsidedow

Visitor, guest, the exact word doesn't matter, to me anyways; just an issue of semantics. It was just quicker to type that than "people who bought a multi-day ticket and aren't passholders who visit frequently and also spend money at Disney." : )

I also loved the magic bands at WDW! So nice not to have to pull out four tickets every time we entered the park or used Fastpass. I also liked how easy it was to make a purchase (much easier than Apple Pay!). And I liked how you could get a collector band, too. Knowing we wouldn't be back to WDW anytime in the next few years, I didn't want to spend the money on a special edition band, but my daughter spent some of her souvenir money to buy the different colored sleeves and decorations for hers. If Disneyland had magic bands, I would absolutely spring for special editions!

I don't see FP+ working well at Disneyland, but I can't see why magic bands wouldn't work. They don't go hand in hand necessarily. Magic bands are just a fancier, tech savvy park ticket that can also work as your fast pass holder.

You said this perfectly. I think people think magic bands means FP+. They could implement magic bands to use as your park ticket, fast past ticket, and for purchases around the park. Keep the fast pass system the same style it is now, but just use the magic band. Like at WDW when you run out of you FP+ you go up to a kiosk to get another one, so DL could just have the kiosk and get rid of the paper tickets. I personally love the FP+ system at WDW when we go, because it ensures we get to ride the longer wait rides at least once, but I understand DL has a lot of locals and it would not be fair to them by forcing people to pre select them months in advanced. So I am all for magic bands a DL. So excited for our upcoming first trip!

I think people think magic bands means FP+. They could implement magic bands to use as your park ticket, fast past ticket, and for purchases around the park. Keep the fast pass system the same style it is now, but just use the magic band.

Yes, I think you're right. I think people hear "Magic Bands" and think that means the same thing as "FastPass +."

From eynsteinp from another blog site :

I think that the system will definitely incorporate the Disneyland hotel guests getting to book 3 fast passes in advance per day. This not only makes sense from a business standpoint as it gives a perk to their hotel guests, it also allows the out of town guests who come once every few years the opportunity to have a good experience because they will get on the rides that are most important to them, making it more likely they book a future trip. The simple fact is that the hotel guests are the customers that spend the most on average and Disney would want to continue to have the guests rebook future trips. I for one am not sure why everyone is so anti magic bands and the MM+ system when most people have not tried it and the general opinion on those that have seems to be more positive than negative. Maybe I am being naive but I am sure that Disney will figure out a way to make it work for the Disneyland market.

I also think they will offer advanced FP bookings for Resort Hotel guests. As a special promotion in the past ,they have offered one FP for everyone in your room in addition to EMH.

I LOVE THIS !! We are local DVC members and usually AP holders !! Sometimes we will have 3-5 reservations @ VGC so it will work for us!

Yes, I think you're right. I think people hear "Magic Bands" and think that means the same thing as "FastPass +."
Can't speak for anyone else, but I do make the distinction. Staggs has specifically gone on record saying that magicbands are not coming to dlr, so I doubt MBs are.coming because of that. MBs not coming, however, doesn't mean they won't implement fp+ in some way.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I do make the distinction. Staggs has specifically gone on record saying that magicbands are not coming to dlr, so I doubt MBs are.coming because of that. MBs not coming, however, doesn't mean they won't implement fp+ in some way.

Actually, it was Mary Nivens who said MagicBands won't be coming to Disneyland anytime soon. Tom Staggs said, "...it was "possible" the use of the MagicBands will be enabled at parks outside of Walt Disney World. The company also is exploring if other wearable technology could offer some of the same functions as consumers adopt new products such as the Apple Watch."

Source: http://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/idUKM1KBN0O705S20150522?irpc=932

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter