Losing Magicbands?

When we used MB’s for the first time in our first WDW trip, mine came off 3 times, my older daughter had it come off twice and my youngest daughter once. We ended using the little rubber bands for my daughter’s braces and they worked perfectly.

To clarify, are the bands sold at Downtown Disney now the original, or MB+? The Yoda band I got when I went on Monday was almost $50 after tax.

To clarify, are the bands sold at Downtown Disney now the original, or MB+? The Yoda band I got when I went on Monday was almost $50 after tax.
I believe most of the MagicBands being sold everywhere by Disney are now MagicBand+. One important thing to note is there are tiers to the costing, with basic, solid-color bands being cheapest at $35 and limited editions running up to $65, but they all do the same thing.

Keep in mind, if you have a WDW hotel reservation, you can pre-order MagicBands prior to arrival at a discount. For example, the plain MagicBand+ that sell for $35 on ShopDisney are only $25 if you pre-order them with a hotel reservation. You can also still get MagicBand 2.0's through hotel reservations (the ones you used to get for free). and those are only $9.99 each. Those are only available with a hotel stay and aren't sold elsewhere that I can tell. The range of choices when purchasing through pre-order is huge too (like 2 or 3 times as many options as you'll see in DTD).

Also, if you're travelling to WDW, you can continue to use those older MagicBand 2.0's as well, you just don't get the added features (haptics, LED's, game interactivity).

Last edited:

I believe most of the MagicBands being sold everywhere by Disney are now MagicBand+. One important thing to note is there are tiers to the costing, with basic, solid-color bands being cheapest at $35 and limited editions running up to $65, but they all do the same thing.

Keep in mind, if you have a WDW hotel reservation, you can pre-order MagicBands prior to arrival at a discount. For example, the plain MagicBand+ that sell for $35 on ShopDisney are only $25 if you pre-order them with a hotel reservation. You can also still get MagicBand 2.0's through hotel reservations (the ones you used to get for free). and those are only $9.99 each. Those are only available with a hotel stay and aren't sold elsewhere that I can tell. The range of choices when purchasing through pre-order is huge too (like 2 or 3 times as many options as you'll see in DTD).

Also, you can continue to use those older MagicBand 2.0's as well, you just don't get the added features (haptics, LED's, game interactivity).

The one I got was $45 I think?

Mid-post edit: Yeah, the website says $44.99.

1907106850259-1

It was the + version then.

The one I got was $45 I think?

Mid-post edit: Yeah, the website says $44.99.

1907106850259-1

It was the + version then.
Yeah, as @irlandaise points out (and I should have been clearer about), MagicBand 2.0 won't work at DLR, and they still don't let you pre-order MagicBands with hotel reservations in Anaheim. Hopefully with the new tower nearing completion, and 350 DVC-specific rooms now on property, they will begin the pre-order process here too. Here's that band if you were staying at WDW:

yoda.jpg

We haven't been to WDW since pre-MB so this was our first experience with MagicBands period, let alone MB+. After much exasperation (and three lost magic bands, all of which we were able to get back from lost and found, thank goodness) we finally resorted to using bandaids to keep the things clipped. We were all wearing backpacks of some sort so lots of opportunities when going on and off rides, grabbing snacks/sunscreen/etc from bags to knock the darn things off.

I did find them very convenient and glad I shelled out $35 a person for them (...though DH ended up also buying a pricey limited edition one because he's a watch/wristband geek). I'm already on my phone so much that even being able to not pull it out for a few things was refreshing.

So do you think this is more of a problem with just MB+ due to the thicker puck? I've had MB and MB2, both cut down to 'kid size' for my tiny wrist and never had them pop off.

FWIW DH's are 'He-Man size' and he's never had a problem either.

For $10 I'm going to order the Bitbelts anyway, better safe than sorry. A 12 pack is overkill for the two of us, but I'm sure I can find other uses for them.

Yes, it's definitely ONLY a problem with MB+. I have never had a regular MB pop off before. I have like 15 of those and have never needed to purchase sliders to keep them fastened. The MB+ is a different material and the pegs that go into the holes are smaller and too smooth so they just constantly pop open.

Also, if you're travelling to WDW, you can continue to use those older MagicBand 2.0's as well, you just don't get the added features (haptics, LED's, game interactivity).

So, we are going to WDW in July. The link to purchase MB+ through our hotel reservation had a VERY small selection. It didn't have the Tinkerbell one I wanted, nor the newer Pride one my son wanted, so we bought them at DCA instead. They also rang up $10 off at that store, before my 20% Magic Key discount. I ended up paying only $81.86 for three MB+, all in. The only one that wasn't $10 off was the Pride one, since it was new and Limited Release. I'm also glad I got them early enough to discover that they pop off so easily, giving me time to purchase the sliders ahead of our vacation.

So, we are going to WDW in July. The link to purchase MB+ through our hotel reservation had a VERY small selection. It didn't have the Tinkerbell one I wanted, nor the newer Pride one my son wanted, so we bought them at DCA instead. They also rang up $10 off at that store, before my 20% Magic Key discount. I ended up paying only $81.86 for three MB+, all in. The only one that wasn't $10 off was the Pride one, since it was new and Limited Release. I'm also glad I got them early enough to discover that they pop off so easily, giving me time to purchase the sliders ahead of our vacation.
That's weird, I just looked and there are nearly 70 different bands available:

bands.jpg

Last edited:
It kept changing when I would look. I think the most I saw was 24 options.

The store in DCA has over 100.
If it worked out for you and they had the ones you and your son wanted, then that's really all that matters. Being here in the OC, and having MagicBands available to purchase on site being so new, my first option is still just to log on and pre-order. Plus, I still kinda like the personalization of the bands: makes them feel more like a souvenir.

Don't get me wrong, I purchased a bunch onsite the first few days they were available, specifically the limited edition ones, but haven't purchased any on site since (that I can think of).

If it worked out for you and they had the ones you and your son wanted, then that's really all that matters. Being here in the OC, and having MagicBands available to purchase on site being so new, my first option is still just to log on and pre-order. Plus, I still kinda like the personalization of the bands: makes them feel more like a souvenir.

Don't get me wrong, I purchased a bunch onsite the first few days they were available, specifically the limited edition ones, but haven't purchased any on site since (that I can think of).

I was surprised they rang up on sale. I had resigned myself to just paying more for the ones we wanted. In the end, I saved like $15 by buying them locally, so win win!

Yeah, as @irlandaise points out (and I should have been clearer about), MagicBand 2.0 won't work at DLR, and they still don't let you pre-order MagicBands with hotel reservations in Anaheim. Hopefully with the new tower nearing completion, and 350 DVC-specific rooms now on property, they will begin the pre-order process here too. Here's that band if you were staying at WDW:

View attachment 770999

Have they actually confirmed that the new DVC tower and the other hotels would be adding in the room unlock feature using MB+? Last I heard, there were no plans to do that. There is Mobile Key using your phone, but since at Disneyland MagicBands are not linked to a person, but rather ticket media, there is no way to program them to open room doors or charge items using MB+.

I have been using my MB+ about 9 months now (originally got for WDW Sept 2022). And I have never had an issue with it popping off. I have used it for 2 WDW trips and many day visits to Disneyland with no issues. I am kind of surprised to read how many have had that problem.

I have been using my MB+ about 9 months now (originally got for WDW Sept 2022). And I have never had an issue with it popping off. I have used it for 2 WDW trips and many day visits to Disneyland with no issues. I am kind of surprised to read how many have had that problem.

Does your puck stick out to the sides of your wrist like this?

20230626_102747.jpg
20230626_102932.jpg

This is why mine kept getting caught up on things and popping off.

Does your puck stick out to the sides of your wrist like this?

View attachment 771196
View attachment 771197

This is why mine kept getting caught up on things and popping off.

Thanks for posting the pics! Now I can see what's happening with them.

I usually trim off the 'extra' bit of band that's tucked under on your right side. It might help a little, but I can see how wide the top part + the puck are. Very easy to get caught on something!

Yup, lost my electrical parade magic band last month at DCA and promptly bought the bit belts. It makes them hard to get on, but for piece of mind I’ll take it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter