Lots of posts today on Facebook regarding ‘stacking’ ending

Make it only available to resort guests

Disney can not survive on only resort guests. They likely have more offsite guests than resort guests in the parks each day. They've already hooked the resort guests, especially if they bring back Dining Plan. They can't afford to alienate offsite guests, especially once UO opens that third park.

If they double the price and half the number currently buying purchase, they'll have higher satisfaction from those who buy (more availability overall) and from those who don't (standby moves faster because fewer are in LL) without losing any revenue. Keep the ILLs separate and raise the prices there if they want, but the Genie+ program is just priced too low right now for the demand. Maybe seasonal pricing aligned with the current structure of 87 "seasons" (or however many there are now) throughout the year? Either way, the current system can't possibly be working as intended on busy 8-10 days and I question how well it will work on even 5-7 days at this point, once word really gets out about it. On 1-4 days, having a lower price (maybe around what it is now) would bring in those who just REALLY don't want to stand in lines, but not really be necessary for those who don't mind as much when the lines are not obnoxiously long.

It's why they should have went the Universal route and create their version of express pass.
That would be worth the price to me.
People say they want the UO EP, but I don’t think people are willing to pay for it. UO charges $100-200/day/person on top of ticket prices for the once per attraction or unlimited. I think the unlimited can go above $200 at times. Price depends upon the day. The newest top rides are not available, Hagrid’s and Velocicoaster. We go to UO frequently, so I understand how it works. Also, if it’s a really busy time, since all deluxe hotels include it, you may still wait 30+ minutes. The rule of thumb that UO says is half the normal queue wait time.

Yep which is outrageous for the price!
I'm goin
If so many are not getting their money's worth I wonder if less will purchase? I know I'm reconsidering for our Jan trip.

That being said, people on DISboards make up a small portion of people in the parks so not thinking us deciding not to purchase due to low return of value for cost, will make much difference.
I already purchased our tickets with it. Really like the maxpass system when we went to Disneyland and though it would be similar. After ready all the reports of only getting a few rides with it I'm really wishing I hadn't spent the extra.

I'm goin

I already purchased our tickets with it. Really like the maxpass system when we went to Disneyland and though it would be similar. After ready all the reports of only getting a few rides with it I'm really wishing I hadn't spent the extra.
I think it’s just during this really exceptionally busy holiday week. Go check out at what time Genie+ disappeared for days before this week on Thrill Data.

People say they want the UO EP, but I don’t think people are willing to pay for it. UO charges $100-200/day/person on top of ticket prices for the once per attraction or unlimited. I think the unlimited can go above $200 at times. Price depends upon the day. The newest top rides are not available, Hagrid’s and Velocicoaster. We go to UO frequently, so I understand how it works. Also, if it’s a really busy time, since all deluxe hotels include it, you may still wait 30+ minutes. The rule of thumb that UO says is half the normal queue wait time.
BUT, you can get the EP included with their version of the Deluxe resort stay, which is what I decided to do for our family of 5 for June 22 (after asking kids if they'd rather have their own beds or limit lines as much as possible). If WDW increased the price of Genie+ and then included it as a benefit of staying at a deluxe resort, or discounted it with a deluxe stay, I can absolutely see it working. They wouldn't have to limit purchases to resort-only guests, just make it more expensive across the board and then finally add back a benefit of staying on-site (which have been significantly eroded over the last few years).

BUT, you can get the EP included with their version of the Deluxe resort stay, which is what I decided to do for our family of 5 for June 22 (after asking kids if they'd rather have their own beds or limit lines as much as possible). If WDW increased the price of Genie+ and then included it as a benefit of staying at a deluxe resort, or discounted it with a deluxe stay, I can absolutely see it working. They wouldn't have to limit purchases to resort-only guests, just make it more expensive across the board and then finally add back a benefit of staying on-site (which have been significantly eroded over the last few years).
No, there are far too many deluxe resorts at Disney for this to possibly work. If Disney included it only with club level stays, on the monorail resorts only, then maybe.

We went during spring break and never waited 30 minutes for anything except the train. We also spent only $350/night on our room with the AP discount and it was a short walk to both parks. (Hard Rock.)

Don’t they have something where if you stay deluxe it’s included?

Yes, and it’s nothing like FP+ or Genie+. You get access to the express line (similar to FP line) whenever you want as often as you want. No reservations or limitations. Usually the 1-2 newest rides are excluded for a few years. It really spoils you.
And we always stay deluxe so for us it would definitely be better.

If WDW increased the price of Genie+ and then included it as a benefit of staying at a deluxe resort, or discounted it with a deluxe stay, I can absolutely see it working. They wouldn't have to limit purchases to resort-only guests, just make it more expensive across the board and then finally add back a benefit of staying on-site (which have been significantly eroded over the last few years).

This is not true. First we can't look at COVID shutdown and their very slow reopening. (which has impacted all hotels) And if you look at comments on here, getting rooms has been difficult so the rooms they have reopened are getting booked.

The last complete normal year they had a 90% occupancy rate, common for them - very high in the business which leans towards 60-70%.

Now the more perks they give to deluxe and not to moderates - who are paying non-Disney deluxe hotel rates for average rooms, and the values guests who are truly paying way too much for what they get ... then they will find occupancy impacted because the value & moderate folks will really have no reason to pay their inflated prices. Careful balance.

Now if what you mean is benefits for those who are staying onsite has dropped then yes I would agree with that. But giving park perks to only deluxe as if they are the only ones paying a premium to stay there, no ….what one pays should be tied to their resort, not things tied to the price of the park tickets, where everyone pays the same. Note: extra hours is different, it doesn’t impact the other guests experiences.

Last edited:
That's the key to it, the less people who have it the better the system is. People have been spoiled by Disney in letting everyone have it. There isn't enough attractions to let everyone have access to Genie+. This past week shows that. With so many people having Genie+ you were lucky to get 2 rides at best. Now imagine they priced Genie+ at $100. Less people would buy it but those that do would have lots of availability for their day.

I go to many different parks every year and have seen how good skip the line systems work. I would Genie+ as the worst.

We went during spring break and never waited 30 minutes for anything except the train. We also spent only $350/night on our room with the AP discount and it was a short walk to both parks. (Hard Rock.)
One trip isn’t a great data point. We have been going since 2015 at various times and have seen a lot of variance. Also, Hard Rock during Thanksgiving or Halloween Horror Nights doesn’t have AP discounts. We just stayed there last weekend. It’s still not as expensive as most WDW deluxe though.

That's the key to it, the less people who have it the better the system is. People have been spoiled by Disney in letting everyone have it. There isn't enough attractions to let everyone have access to Genie+. This past week shows that. With so many people having Genie+ you were lucky to get 2 rides at best. Now imagine they priced Genie+ at $100. Less people would buy it but those that do would have lots of availability for their day.

I go to many different parks every year and have seen how good skip the line systems work. I would Genie+ as the worst.

I agree, but you’ve seen the outrage on the boards about paying for Genie+ and ILL. Imagine the gnashing of teeth if they had to pay UO EP prices. I personally wouldn’t mind, but we are in a position that it wouldn’t be a factor. A lot of people aren’t.

One trip isn’t a great data point. We have been going since 2015 at various times and have seen a lot of variance. Also, Hard Rock during Thanksgiving or Halloween Horror Nights doesn’t have AP discounts. We just stayed there last weekend. It’s still not as expensive as most WDW deluxe though.

I agree, but you’ve seen the outrage on the boards about paying for Genie+ and ILL. Imagine the gnashing of teeth if they had to pay UO EP prices. I personally wouldn’t mind, but we are in a position that it wouldn’t be a factor. A lot of people aren’t.
Yes there would be complaints but its no different at other parks when it costs over $100 a day. Here's the thing Skip the line systems have never been made so the majority have it. Genie+ shows that to be true. Skip the line systems are a PRIVILEGE not a right.

Please help me understand at which point during the day the "rolling G+s" are stopped.

I know you can still "stack" if each new one is selected as a result of the 120 minute rule lapsing. The main example of this is someone starting in the morning and grabbing an afternoon/evening G+ every time the 120 minutes rule lapses, which allows the person to use several G+s in a row that evening. (If I misunderstood and this ISN'T allowed anymore please let me know.

Let's use this example:
A person gets a G+ at 7am for 11:30am (G+1). Then at 11:00am (using "the 120 minutes after park opening" rule) they could get a 2nd G+ for 1:00 (G+2). The person now has a total of G+s in their MDE.

In the past, each time they tap into one of their G+s they are able to immediately make another one, which means they effectively have two "rolling" G+s going all day.

With this new change it's not possible to have two rolling G+s, but at what point does the app stop you?
(A) Does it block you from making another G+ after you tap in for G+1 (11:30am) because it sees you have the 1pm (G+2?
*Or does it let you make a new G+ when you tap in at 11:30am, but won't allow you to make another one when you tap into the G+2 at 1:00pm?

Please help me understand at which point during the day the "rolling G+s" are stopped.

I know you can still "stack" if each new one is selected as a result of the 120 minute rule lapsing. The main example of this is someone starting in the morning and grabbing an afternoon/evening G+ every time the 120 minutes rule lapses, which allows the person to use several G+s in a row that evening. (If I misunderstood and this ISN'T allowed anymore please let me know.

Let's use this example:
A person gets a G+ at 7am for 11:30am (G+1). Then at 11:00am (using "the 120 minutes after park opening" rule) they could get a 2nd G+ for 1:00 (G+2). The person now has a total of G+s in their MDE.

In the past, each time they tap into one of their G+s they are able to immediately make another one, which means they effectively have two "rolling" G+s going all day.

With this new change it's not possible to have two rolling G+s, but at what point does the app stop you?
(A) Does it block you from making another G+ after you tap in for G+1 (11:30am) because it sees you have the 1pm (G+2?
*Or does it let you make a new G+ when you tap in at 11:30am, but won't allow you to make another one when you tap into the G+2 at 1:00pm?

You would be able to book again at 1pm...you must wait the 2 hour rule if you have some LLs still in your account, so since you booked at 11am, you would book again at 1pm...

You would be able to book again at 1pm...you must wait the 2 hour rule if you have some LLs still in your account, so since you booked at 11am, you would book again at 1pm...

That's what I figured :( but wanted confirmation.
Thank you

No, there are far too many deluxe resorts at Disney for this to possibly work. If Disney included it only with club level stays, on the monorail resorts only, then maybe.
Not only that, but a lot are deluxe villas—DVC timeshares, so Disney doesn’t get paid when people stay on their DVC points or rent from a DVC owner. Disney would have to exclude DVC to make money on a deluxe hotel based express pass—which would tank their DVC sales on new resorts like Riviera. Better for them to just charge everyone a rate like they are doing now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter