Low vision accommodations post-GAC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TillyMarigold

DIS Veteran
Hi folks, I hope I didn't miss seeing this topic covered. I did read the sticky and searched for the subject.

My mother has moderate to severe cataracts and due to doctors' schedules, has had to put off her surgery until after our January trip. So she won't be able to see very well.

In the past, GACs had a variety of uses and she could have gotten one that explained she needed to be seated close to the stage or whatever. Would it do any good to get a DAS?

Also, is there anything else I should know about doing WDW with low vision? I know about the audio guides. My mom has been to WDW several times, but the most recent was 15 years ago.

Hi folks, I hope I didn't miss seeing this topic covered. I did read the sticky and searched for the subject.

My mother has moderate to severe cataracts and due to doctors' schedules, has had to put off her surgery until after our January trip. So she won't be able to see very well.

In the past, GACs had a variety of uses and she could have gotten one that explained she needed to be seated close to the stage or whatever. Would it do any good to get a DAS?

Also, is there anything else I should know about doing WDW with low vision? I know about the audio guides. My mom has been to WDW several times, but the most recent was 15 years ago.

Unless her vision problems make it difficult for her to wait in line, a DAS won't really help her. When going into an attraction or show where she needs special help or seating, you can just tell the CM at the attraction/show.

Unless her vision problems make it difficult for her to wait in line, a DAS won't really help her. When going into an attraction or show where she needs special help or seating, you can just tell the CM at the attraction/show.

A DAS card is given to those who have difficulty standing in line. You still wait the same amount of time, but, can wait out of line.

My DD has vision issues and needs to be front and center for shows. She also has difficulty seeing in low light. We have been talking to the CM at the first of the attraction. My DD will explain her need and ask for help. The CM's are very receptive to helping her out. We also have found that you need to address your needs with several CM's. The "welcoming CM" will tell you to just talk to the CM further on, but, we found it best if everyone knows an accommodation is needed. We have had to wait for the next show or movie sometimes, but, that is not a big deal.

There are some queues (and preshow areas) where the lighting levels, steps, and uneven flooring will make it difficult for her to walk while navigating by herself; is it the plan to have someone always guiding her, or might she be on her own at times?

Sorry, I was just reinforcing your comment about the DAS card. The OP was asking about it by saying she has used the GAC. I quoted you to reinforce. I will just remember not to do that in the future.

No problem, I just didn't know what I had missed. :)

i've been legally blind since birth and i never got a GAC.
for sitting close during shows i'd say there is no reason to get a DAS.
my family and i just walk up to the front and tell a cast member that i need to be as close as possible and in most instances i'm in the first row or two.

i also have terrible night vision which means when i walk into a building from the bright sunlight i can barely see at all which is my main issue as of late.
usually i go with friends/family and hold onto them during those times but i'm planning a solo trip for march or april and contacted disney to see what else they could do for me.
unfortunately there's not much help for visually impaired people cuz they seem to think you either have normal vision or you are completely blind and read braille and would never consider going alone.
i asked if a small flashlight would be allowed during dark queues and the man i spoke to (travis) said it would be fine.
if your mother has a hard time in dark lines perhaps that could be a resource for her.

i've been legally blind since birth and i never got a GAC.
for sitting close during shows i'd say there is no reason to get a DAS.
my family and i just walk up to the front and tell a cast member that i need to be as close as possible and in most instances i'm in the first row or two.

i also have terrible night vision which means when i walk into a building from the bright sunlight i can barely see at all which is my main issue as of late.
usually i go with friends/family and hold onto them during those times but i'm planning a solo trip for march or april and contacted disney to see what else they could do for me.
unfortunately there's not much help for visually impaired people cuz they seem to think you either have normal vision or you are completely blind and read braille and would never consider going alone.
i asked if a small flashlight would be allowed during dark queues and the man i spoke to (travis) said it would be fine.
if your mother has a hard time in dark lines perhaps that could be a resource for her.

Ain't that the truth! And of course, most the world doesn't understand it either, and I admit that before it hit our family I had no idea as well. I would hear terms like "legally blind", and I think it was the same as being completely blind. So I can somewhat give the CMs a tiny pass for not understanding, but Disney should be helping their CMs, especially those who will probably encounter people with vision loss, learn that there is a LOT of range between sight and no sight.

Ain't that the truth! And of course, most the world doesn't understand it either, and I admit that before it hit our family I had no idea as well. I would hear terms like "legally blind", and I think it was the same as being completely blind. So I can somewhat give the CMs a tiny pass for not understanding, but Disney should be helping their CMs, especially those who will probably encounter people with vision loss, learn that there is a LOT of range between sight and no sight.

i did mention to travis that disney should do some more research about the visually impaired and see if they can't find more things that would help those who do have low vision but not no vision.
i pointed out the multitude of things put in place for those who have mobility and hearing disabilities and the lack of such accommodations for people with low vision such as better lighting and perhaps not so winding of queues.

i did mention to travis that disney should do some more research about the visually impaired and see if they can't find more things that would help those who do have low vision but not no vision.
i pointed out the multitude of things put in place for those who have mobility and hearing disabilities and the lack of such accommodations for people with low vision such as better lighting and perhaps not so winding of queues.

or even if they just learn that a person asking for seating choice in a theater or show may not necessarily want to be right up front.

Queues are hard, and changing the lighting can often change the experience for everyone, but they ARE dark, and they ARE hard to navigate, and I don't think most people realize how a dark, yet flat, surface, with railings, can be difficult, but it really is. We just bring our own flashlight now, or use the cell phone app. But I would really like to see more at the floor lighting.

Your mother's cataracts are severe enough for removal. There is no excuse for her being forced to put off her surgery if there is no medical reason for doing so. Find another doctor.

or even if they just learn that a person asking for seating choice in a theater or show may not necessarily want to be right up front.

Queues are hard, and changing the lighting can often change the experience for everyone, but they ARE dark, and they ARE hard to navigate, and I don't think most people realize how a dark, yet flat, surface, with railings, can be difficult, but it really is. We just bring our own flashlight now, or use the cell phone app. But I would really like to see more at the floor lighting.

i would be able to navigate the lines so much better if they even just made the railings easier to hold onto to find your way instead of having chains/ropes for part of the line and then a railing that is sectioned off into parts so its not smooth to glide along. you would not believe the number of bumps/bruises, and little cuts i get while at disneyw orld just cuz i catch my hand on a sharpish part of a railing or my friends/family cannot get me around a sharp turn so i run into the end of a railing and i can't even count the number of times i'd ran into those big circular chain posts in the tower of terror line.

One I hate is Pirates. I thought I had rounded a corner in the queue and ran straight into the wall really hard. OUCH! My poor DH felt so bad, he thought I was far enough away and didn't think to warn me. It can be hard on those helping us too. He gets stressed worrying about me as he can feel my grip on his hand or arm increase as my difficulty increases in some of those lines. I won't even bother trying to ride Nemo if I can't get a DAS this time. For some reason that one is just the worst for me with all the switch backs.

One I hate is Pirates. I thought I had rounded a corner in the queue and ran straight into the wall really hard. OUCH! My poor DH felt so bad, he thought I was far enough away and didn't think to warn me. It can be hard on those helping us too. He gets stressed worrying about me as he can feel my grip on his hand or arm increase as my difficulty increases in some of those lines. I won't even bother trying to ride Nemo if I can't get a DAS this time. For some reason that one is just the worst for me with all the switch backs.

i totally agree with nemo.
my sister even says sorry if i run you into the railings but i can barely see either.
my family is not a fan of the nemo ride anyways (we enjoyed the old ride better) so anymore we just go into the exit so we can see the aquarium and avoid the ride.

i totally agree with nemo.
my sister even says sorry if i run you into the railings but i can barely see either.
my family is not a fan of the nemo ride anyways (we enjoyed the old ride better) so anymore we just go into the exit so we can see the aquarium and avoid the ride.

something about the way the lighting makes waves on the floor I think is what does it for my son. It's not very dark in there at all, it's just that he finds the floor hard to see. Good thing he hates that ride.

Space Mountain, on the other hand, is very difficult, with the ups and downs of the queue line. He always feels like the floor isn't there below his feet and he really has to shuffle along in that one, very slowly, and that's also one where the hand rail changes quite often (if I remember).

my husband has low vision (due to early onset macular degeneration)
a DAS will DEFINITELY help the OP's mother!

it's not the difficulty WAITING in line, it's the manuevering amonsgt the winding and twisting in the dark (and what is dark to you and me is not the same as what is dark for my husband)

we had no problem getting the DAS last month, or last May. explain it is NOT a mobility issue, it is a visual issue. insist. even if you need to get a supervisor. but I don't think you will. yes, at shows, etc. you will need to tell the CM that she needs to sit in the front to see.

yes, I understand that you come back and go through the FP line.. but this still does help, as the line is not as long (I don't mean time wise, I mean distance wise)

and with the DAS some attractions let you in the exit. like Nemo. the CM told us to go through the gift shop. stand at the handicapped rope. we did. the CM there asked us to move as this was the handicaped entrance and I explained that my husband has a DAS for vision and can't see to manuever the dark queue. she lets us in without a problem.

OH! for sontinous moving rides like nemo, mermaid, haunted mansion, etc ask them to slow it down.. they have a button in their hand that does this. (this can't be done on Peter Pan)

OP good luck and have fun!!! your mom will definitly benefit from a DAS

i would be able to navigate the lines so much better if they even just made the railings easier to hold onto to find your way instead of having chains/ropes for part of the line and then a railing that is sectioned off into parts so its not smooth to glide along. you would not believe the number of bumps/bruises, and little cuts i get while at disneyw orld just cuz i catch my hand on a sharpish part of a railing or my friends/family cannot get me around a sharp turn so i run into the end of a railing and i can't even count the number of times i'd ran into those big circular chain posts in the tower of terror line.

Not to mention the fact that so many guests seem to think that the railings, ropes, and barriers are actually benches or playground equipment. Half the time I'll be trying to guide myself along the railing, and I have to stop every few seconds for butts and dangling children. There are also the couple of times I've had my hand crushed by the foot of an unsupervised climbing kid while the parents were off in their own little world.

Cataracts can block part of the field of vision and/or put a veil over everything. They affect seeing colors as well. I speak as someone who has had the surgery. I had one of the best and most popular surgeons in the area, and he was able to schedule me for two weeks after making the decisions that the cataracts were ripe for surgery. I chose to wait about a month to avoid a holiday and some other things so I would have the time clear for healing afterward. It's cruel to force someone who has severe cataracts to put this off for months. If she is healthy enough for the surgery now, and if whoever she has been seeing doesn't have time for her then, seriously, find a good surgeon who does.

my husband has low vision (due to early onset macular degeneration)
a DAS will DEFINITELY help the OP's mother!

Never said it wouldn't. Part of waiting in line is going through the dark and/or uneven parts of the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter