Low vision accommodations post-GAC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the OP message, visual impairment doesn't qualify for a DAS. Although if they're being flexible for visibility issues that's a positive change, if needed. Being told to get a wheelchair isn't a great response.

Last year, my wife didn't qualify for a DAS because we were told it was a concern that could be addressed at each attraction. This was a month or two after the switch from GAC. We found most CMs to be helpful but uninformed. Many thought we needed a card and were unfamiliar with the new park policy. It was also frustrating to speak with 5+ people at some attractions when it used to be only one on the first day of the trip. Despite the frustration, everything went well.. CMs are trained to move issues forward, so you rarely get stuck with someone so uniformed they ruin the magic.

We're actually returning next week. It will be interesting to see if the awareness has improved and the attractions where we received a runaround last year.

Never said it wouldn't. Part of waiting in line is going through the dark and/or uneven parts of the line.

Unless her vision problems make it difficult for her to wait in line, a DAS won't really help her. When going into an attraction or show where she needs special help or seating, you can just tell the CM at the attraction/show.

believe me, we know that part of waiting in line is going through dark and uneven parts. and the DAS definietly helps in that at least the FP line is less of a DISTANCE of dark and uneven parts than the distance of the entire standby line.

now if the CM at the attraction is especially helpful, you might be able to enter the exit or anothe alternative entrance. but having the DAS is VERY helpful. !!!!!!

Regarding the OP message, visual impairment doesn't qualify for a DAS. Although if they're being flexible for visibility issues that's a positive change, if needed. Being told to get a wheelchair isn't a great response.

Last year, my wife didn't qualify for a DAS because we were told it was a concern that could be addressed at each attraction. This was a month or two after the switch from GAC. We found most CMs to be helpful but uninformed. Many thought we needed a card and were unfamiliar with the new park policy. It was also frustrating to speak with 5+ people at some attractions when it used to be only one on the first day of the trip. Despite the frustration, everything went well.. CMs are trained to move issues forward, so you rarely get stuck with someone so uniformed they ruin the magic.

We're actually returning next week. It will be interesting to see if the awareness has improved and the attractions where we received a runaround last year.

I don't know if they made a positive change or I am just a good advoctae for my husband. but I am sorry that you had that experience.

we were at DL during the week of the change. the first half of the trip we had a GAC.. then we had to go and get a DAS.. there they did try to argue with me, but I was not having it.. and they gave him one.

that was oct. 2013. april/may 2014 they did not give us ANYproblem at tll at Epcot (international gateway). sept 2014 they did not give us ANYproblem at all at Epcot, front gate GR.

If you do get any flack in encourage you to stand your ground. any little bit helps. and the DAS definitely helps those with visual disablilites!!! yay!!!!

believe me, we know that part of waiting in line is going through dark and uneven parts. and the DAS definietly helps in that at least the FP line is less of a DISTANCE of dark and uneven parts than the distance of the entire standby line.

now if the CM at the attraction is especially helpful, you might be able to enter the exit or anothe alternative entrance. but having the DAS is VERY helpful. !!!!!!

not trying to start something here but you seem very adamant that DAS will help "everyone" with low vision but really its just your opinion. (not even hearing much of your husband's opinion in your comments). but DAS really might not help some people depending on what their vision problem is.
for example walking in the fastpass line does not help me. the longer i'm in dim light the better i can see so 'd rather not feel rushed since people in the fastpass line tend to move quickly. i'd actually be less "lost" in line if its a slow moving line so i can see the person in front of me.
also you claim all fastpass lines are more direct but thats not always the case.
for example space mountain has a side by side standby and fastpass line.

all i'm really trying to say is that others have their own opinion as well and some people think DAS is not the most helpful thing for people with low vision.

This simply points out how disabilities can be very confusing to CMs and that diagnosis should not be the basis of DAS qualifications. As with any disability, "need" may be subjective to that person. One person with a diagnosis may not have the same "needs" as another with the same diagnosis. This is exactly why the DAS is not diagnosis-based but needs-based. When requesting a DAS, the person (or family member) should be prepared to explain that person's needs as relating to a standard queue environment.

OP's question has been answered, so I am closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter