Lupus and DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine if someone said, "I have a hard time keeping my kid still in line, he has severe ADHD and tends to run off " and Disney said...."use a wheelchair" (which would, indeed, limit a child's ability to move around). Sure we can find all kinds of accommodations for things, but the person themselves should have the biggest say in how they want their disability handled. I don't use a wheelchair in my daily life, and don't want to feel forced to use one of vacation. I don't feel like it's asking too much to be allowed to wait somewhere else instead of in line. It's not like an instant fast pass, it's a small accommodation that could go a long way in helping me feel better while enjoying time at the parks with my family.
There are lots of things that I don't do in my every day life that I do when I choose to go to Disney. It is my choice to go despite having to do those things. There are other vacation options if using a mobility device is a deal breaker on your vacation.

I could be wrong, however my understanding is that the actual accomodation for those with stamina/mobility issues is that the lines are accessible for assistive devices. Whether you choose to use a device to aid in your mobility and what you choose is up to the guest. The fact that the line can accomodate mobility devices is of no use to those whose needs are unrelated to mobility or stamina, thus the DAS. That's how I understood the program when we took a family member last spring who used a wheelchair to meet her temporary mobility need.

There is just so much walking and being out in the sun apart from the queues at WDW that if one's issues were to stay out of the sun and not stand/walk too much, I'm thinking a DAS for attractions isn't going to help at all.

As stated before, there's really no guaranteed place to sit out of the sun. The queues are much more shady/indoors than any rare bench. Also, depending on how many people are going, if you had a DAS you'd either have to walk to the queue to get the return time, then go find shade, or be in an out of the way or overcrowded shady spot far away from the queue and wait for the family member to get back, spending a lot of time apart from one another.

You could wait in a shop, but no seating. Most QS restaurants are pretty strict about taking up a table inside without food.

If you are staying onsite, there's a walk to the bus stop, and not too many of the bus stops are shaded. Then, there's a good hike from the bus stop to the park entrance, standing while in the bag check, waiting at the tapstile, etc. Even if you drove, the parking lots are huge, and there's a long, unshaded wait for a tram. To give you an idea, we walked over 8 miles a day on our last trip, in the heat of August. There is very little shade outside the gates at MK, HS, and AK. Epcot was a bit better, but not much.

And how far is it around World Showcase?

As other people have said, WDW gives access to those with mobility and sun issues by making their queues shaded and able to be navigated by people in mobility devices. You get the choice to use one or not. WDW also gives people with issues with standard queue wait times another way to access an attraction.

My mother had Lupus and we would rent a wheel chair when we took her to WDW. She did not use one at home, didn't even use a walker at the time but she knew she was going to get tired so it was the only option. (this was before the evc's so little me had to push). When she was sore from the wheel chair, since it was a push type, my DS (who was little at the time) would ride in it while she rested and then she would get back in it when she felt rested. For the sun she would put on a big ole floppy hat, slime up with sunscreen, wear a long sleeve white shirt (I know it's Florida, it's summer, it's hot but one does what one has to), long light weight pants and we would all have a great time. I have the gene, but not Lupus but I am deathly allergic to the sun, I'm talking put me in the hospital for a week allergic. I do the same thing, wear a hat, slime up with sun screen, wear a dress with a long sleeve white shirt on top and go about my fun.

Like I said previously, I did the ECV thing at Disneyland, and it made my pain worse. Having the ability to choose where you want to sit (a hard surface, on the ground, in a chair, etc) really does help.

In any case, whether or not people agree with my desire to have a DAS pass, I do think it's crappy that I cannot make that decision for myself. I have a kid with autism and I have never asked for a pass before (in the dozen+ times we've been to Disney) because we didn't NEED one. I feel like someone can show up and say, "my kid has XYZ (behavioral) problem and can't wait in line," and it's no problem to get a pass. But I have a legitimate medical disability, that in the past few years has limited my mobility and cause me great pain...and Disney's only solution is "ride in a wheelchair." Imagine if someone said, "I have a hard time keeping my kid still in line, he has severe ADHD and tends to run off " and Disney said...."use a wheelchair" (which would, indeed, limit a child's ability to move around). Sure we can find all kinds of accommodations for things, but the person themselves should have the biggest say in how they want their disability handled. I don't use a wheelchair in my daily life, and don't want to feel forced to use one of vacation. I don't feel like it's asking too much to be allowed to wait somewhere else instead of in line. It's not like an instant fast pass, it's a small accommodation that could go a long way in helping me feel better while enjoying time at the parks with my family.

But I digress.

I feel like Disney really dropped the ball on this one. I read online some people are suing because they feel Disney is violating the ADA. People should be allowed to choose their accommodations, with the help of Disney. I don't think it's Disney's business to tell me I need to ride in a wheelchair in order to get access to accommodations for my disability.

No, people should not be able to choose their own accommodations - the ADA doesn't require it, nor would any business within it's right mind do so.

Disney has an accommodation that meets your needs - wheelchair or ECV. If you choose not to utilize the accommodation, that's on you.

Like I said previously, I did the ECV thing at Disneyland, and it made my pain worse. Having the ability to choose where you want to sit (a hard surface, on the ground, in a chair, etc) really does help.

In any case, whether or not people agree with my desire to have a DAS pass, I do think it's crappy that I cannot make that decision for myself. I have a kid with autism and I have never asked for a pass before (in the dozen+ times we've been to Disney) because we didn't NEED one. I feel like someone can show up and say, "my kid has XYZ (behavioral) problem and can't wait in line," and it's no problem to get a pass. But I have a legitimate medical disability, that in the past few years has limited my mobility and cause me great pain...and Disney's only solution is "ride in a wheelchair." Imagine if someone said, "I have a hard time keeping my kid still in line, he has severe ADHD and tends to run off " and Disney said...."use a wheelchair" (which would, indeed, limit a child's ability to move around). Sure we can find all kinds of accommodations for things, but the person themselves should have the biggest say in how they want their disability handled. I don't use a wheelchair in my daily life, and don't want to feel forced to use one of vacation. I don't feel like it's asking too much to be allowed to wait somewhere else instead of in line. It's not like an instant fast pass, it's a small accommodation that could go a long way in helping me feel better while enjoying time at the parks with my family.

But I digress.

I feel like Disney really dropped the ball on this one. I read online some people are suing because they feel Disney is violating the ADA. People should be allowed to choose their accommodations, with the help of Disney. I don't think it's Disney's business to tell me I need to ride in a wheelchair in order to get access to accommodations for my disability.

They don't allow people to choose because you aren't thinking about the big picture. You're thinking about your needs, what you'd like to do, etc. They are thinking of park operations AND meeting needs and how to accommodate both in an adequate way. If there is an alternate way to accommodate someone such as a wheelchair (and with the disappearing benches it's really the safest bet for sitting needs) they'll do it because it doesn't affect the lines like additional das users do.

Also, the people suing are suing for autistic kids and needs and straight up say in the lawsuit that they're fine with the stamina and mobility decisions. They don't have sympathy for your situation. But I could sue anyone for anything, doesn't really mean much until there's a decision made on if there was a violation.

Last edited:
They don't allow people to choose because you aren't thinking about the big picture. You're thinking about your needs, what you'd like to do, etc. They are thinking of park operations AND meeting needs and how to accommodate both in an adequate way. If there is an alternate way to accommodate someone such as a wheelchair (and with the disappearing benches it's really the safest bet for sitting needs) they'll do it because it doesn't affect the lines like additional dad users do.

That is the best explanation I've seen about why they don't let people choose their preferred accommodation.

the majority of people at disney that use ECV or wheel chair do not need them at home can you imagine if disney said to those people of chose what you wanted the majority of these people would chose a DAS and if those people chose then that would over whelm the FAST Pass line for those that had FP or who only accommodation would be a DAS making disney undoable so then what would disney do to accommodate those people. I am so glade that people can not chose there accommodation as most people can not see the bigger picture

no one is saying you have to use a wheel chair all the time you can push it and that way you are not sitting all the time. you would be surprised how much walking there is even with the DAS card some lines are a half mile long and that is both regular line and FP. most of the lines are in the shade and the times you will be standing out in the sun is to get in the fast pass line so with a DAS card you will be out in the sun more staining walking more then you think.

In any case, whether or not people agree with my desire to have a DAS pass, I do think it's crappy that I cannot make that decision for myself.

If Disney allowed everyone to make a decision for themselves how their disability would be accommodated, they'd be right back to where they were before the DAS......a huge number of attendees would claim "disabilities" and would want their choice of accommodations, mostly front-of-the-line access. As it is, Disney goes over and above in providing for the accommodations they do provide, more than they are required by law to provide. Quite often, people mistake "want" for "need" when demanding accommodations.

I'm pretty sure they don't actually just hand out DAS to parents who can't control their children!
I see plenty of people who definitely have no control or very little over their children at Disney, and so the Fp+ line would be never ending if that were indeed the case!. Those parents with a very genuine need for a child that runs, usually do infact use the stroller as a wheelchair option so that the child doesn't actually cause danger by running off!

Behaviour problems and cognitive disability is two very different things, you say you have a child with autism? So I'm really very surprised to see you put those two in the same sentence as if they are the same,it to me showed very little understanding of of autism and spectrum disorders.
While I completely feel for you, with your condition the message your putting across seems a little contradictive?
You need a place to rest but not indefinitely a wheelchair or aid Is a great use for this.
You want that ( resting place) to be in the shade, while you wait, then the line which mainly inside or under cover is the perfect place inwhich to do this.

What would absolutely solve your issue, would be to schedule your Fp+ selection for any ride that has sunny spots in the que, there for you will go into the fp line as you wish,
The others a mobility device would sort out the having to stand, and you would be able to que in the shade.

I do not use a wheelchair device at all at home, however I've had to do it twice at Disney, once was my wedding and honeymoon I was 23!! And finishing chemo.I managed only to walk down the aisle and stand for pictures.
The second was from severe fatigue after my 7th major head surgery again I was 26, so I was young and it wouldn't have been my first choice. However it met my needs.

From past discussions I know this issue will not go anywhere but I do sympathize with the OP. The one thing that I can't see as being fair is that people with a mobility disability are forced to pay an additional charge to rent/buy a device while other disabilities are accommodated free with a DAS. I know I will get the usual Disney gets to do whatever they want but making one group pay extra but not the other is just not right.

I know that is how you feel but I know I have to pay extra I have to take a few hour break as if I even try to go all day I wind up in the ER ( celebration is a good ER the other one in the area is not) I have to buy noise canceling head phone ( I have already tried 2 and one pair I can not take back) so I can say yes for me even with a DAS card I do pay with a mobility device most can do disney ok for the day. even with a DAS I have to make sure I take a few hour break make sure I have my noise canceling head phones along with some other things to keep my self safe.

From past discussions I know this issue will not go anywhere but I do sympathize with the OP. The one thing that I can't see as being fair is that people with a mobility disability are forced to pay an additional charge to rent/buy a device while other disabilities are accommodated free with a DAS. I know I will get the usual Disney gets to do whatever they want but making one group pay extra but not the other is just not right.

People who use wheelchairs on a daily basis have to pay for their own - why shouldn't someone that needs one for a theme park? I realize that many people that use mobility devices at WDW don't need them in everyday life, but everyone knows how much walking is involved at Disney...if one has a mobility issue in that context, of course they should provide their own mobility device, just as they would if they needed one in their everyday life.

How does having a mobility issue make the queue inaccessible? Disney is not accommodating other disabilities for free, they're accommodating other people who can't access the queue even with a mobility device. If a guest needs ear protection to avoid over stimulation Disney doesn't need to pay for that either. What if a guest is worried that the airline will damage their power chair so they decide to leave it at home and just use the free manual chair at the airport. Should Disney provide them with a powerchair at no cost when they arrive at the gate? What about a guest who doesn't want to pay for their home health aide to travel, should Disney have someone waiting to bathe them waiting at the resort? If a guest with a stamina or mobility issue can access the queue without a wheelchair then they don't have to pay for a wheelchair to be accommodated, the queue is still accessible to them. Choosing not to avail oneself of the tools available to handle the conditions of the park does not mean that Disney becomes responsible for making additional accommodations to compensate.

How does having a mobility issue make the queue inaccessible? Disney is not accommodating other disabilities for free, they're accommodating other people who can't access the queue even with a mobility device. If a guest needs ear protection to avoid over stimulation Disney doesn't need to pay for that either. What if a guest is worried that the airline will damage their power chair so they decide to leave it at home and just use the free manual chair at the airport. Should Disney provide them with a powerchair at no cost when they arrive at the gate? What about a guest who doesn't want to pay for their home health aide to travel, should Disney have someone waiting to bathe them waiting at the resort? If a guest with a stamina or mobility issue can access the queue without a wheelchair then they don't have to pay for a wheelchair to be accommodated, the queue is still accessible to them. Choosing not to avail oneself of the tools available to handle the conditions of the park does not mean that Disney becomes responsible for making additional accommodations to compensate.

Exactly.

this is what I was trying to say but you said it better I do not think the OP is wrong but they just are not looking at the bigger pitcher. The last time I was at disney I hurt my foot I have no idea how it happened but with in 30 to 45 minutes I went from it hurting a little to I could not walk at all they gave me a wheel chair to use for the rest of my stay ( it was one I could take back to my room ) for free

this is what I was trying to say but you said it better I do not think the OP is wrong but they just are not looking at the bigger pitcher. The last time I was at disney I hurt my foot I have no idea how it happened but with in 30 to 45 minutes I went from it hurting a little to I could not walk at all they gave me a wheel chair to use for the rest of my stay ( it was one I could take back to my room ) for free
It would be nice if the wheelchairs were free, but not operationally possible. Remember the free strollers for Disney VISA cardholders? How many took the free wheelchair just to hold their backpack because it was free and made things a little bit easier? That benefit become unsustainable for Disney. If 50% or more of the patrons at a grocery store expected to use the motorized cart do you think the store would remove shelves or expand their footprint to provide storage space for the additional carts? People are ultimately responsible for their own personal needs in life, why would voluntarily stepping into a Disney park change that?

All of the other needs someone else might have doesn't affect this situation. A DAS would help the OP and many others without incurring an additional cost. A free accommodation is available but Disney denies that to some people telling them to rent a mobility device while providing it to others. Make one group pay, accommodate the other with free assistance when the DAS would help both. This plainly looks discriminatory.

And I know, I know Disney can do whatever they want.

All of the other needs someone else might have doesn't affect this situation. A DAS would help the OP and many others without incurring an additional cost. A free accommodation is available but Disney denies that to some people telling them to rent a mobility device while providing it to others. Make one group pay, accommodate the other with free assistance when the DAS would help both. This plainly looks discriminatory.

And I know, I know Disney can do whatever they want.

You are missing the point. If everyone with mobility or stamina issues chose to use the DAS over a mobility device, the FP lines become too long, which negates the accommodation. And someone whose needs can not be met with a mobility device has no other option or choice for an accommodation other than a DAS. So to do something that makes the DAS accommodation useless is discriminatory to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter