Lupus and DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of the other needs someone else might have doesn't affect this situation. A DAS would help the OP and many others without incurring an additional cost. A free accommodation is available but Disney denies that to some people telling them to rent a mobility device while providing it to others. Make one group pay, accommodate the other with free assistance when the DAS would help both. This plainly looks discriminatory.

And I know, I know Disney can do whatever they want.

Plenty of people that don't use mobility devices at home use them at Disney, but rent them off site and never ask for a DAS. The difference is that those recognize that the mobility issues are accommodated by accessible queues, and plan and spend accordingly, rather than expecting Disney to provide an unnecessary accommodation that impacts everyone else in the park.

All of the other needs someone else might have doesn't affect this situation. A DAS would help the OP and many others without incurring an additional cost. A free accommodation is available but Disney denies that to some people telling them to rent a mobility device while providing it to others. Make one group pay, accommodate the other with free assistance when the DAS would help both. This plainly looks discriminatory.

And I know, I know Disney can do whatever they want.
Discrimination would be telling people they can't go through an accessible entrance unless they rent one of Disney's wheelchairs. Guests are permitted to procur their mobility device however they see fit. They can beg, borrow or steal if they choose not to pay for the use of a device. A guest should not expect their preferred accommodation when there is no reason in Disney's control that prevents them form accessing the attraction.

I can't do stairs. Disney tells me that when I reach the stairs they will provide a lift. I would prefer to sit at the CS location next door, sip a soda and enter through the exit after waiting the same amount of time as I would have in the line. If possible I'd like to wait 10 minutes less. Does Disney have to let me choose my entrance when the issue is I'd prefer not to stand in the queue until I reach the lift?

Disney installs a climbing attraction which requires closed toed shoes and heel straps. I wore flip flops to the park today. Should Disney provide me with shoes so that I can climb that attraction? They sell shoes in the park. What if they only sell B width does and due to a chronic illness my feet require DD width shoes. Should Disney provide wide shoes that they don't even sell? For free?

Even if a guest only ever uses a wheelchair in a Disney park their entire life, they still need the chair when they choose to go to the park. How is the guest not responsible for their own needs. The queue is accessible for wheelchairs and rollators. Choosing not to use the accessible queue does not render the ride inaccessible to a guest who wants but doesn't need a different accommodation. And the responsibility for paying for the goods that you consume or use is not covered by your park admission. Should Disney also provide free strollers because a 5 year old hasn't needed one to walk the length of the mall since he was 3 but gets tired when his parents decided to go to a Disney park?

None of these arguments change the fact that there is a free accommodation available and the other cost money. It is discriminatory to make one group pay when the free accommodation given to the other group would help all.

None of these arguments change the fact that there is a free accommodation available and the other cost money. It is discriminatory to make one group pay when the free accommodation given to the other group would help all.

It wouldn't "help all", and would in fact make the DAS much less accommodating for those that really need it. It isn't discriminatory to deny the preferred accommodation.

There is no other accommodation available for mobility and stamina needs. Mobility aids do not necessarily cost money. The guests are choosing not to use the available accommodation and the guests are able to obtain mobility aids for free. Disney does not require them to pay. Disney not providing a wheelchair for free is not the same as a guest being forced to pay more than other guests. A guest who uses a wheelchair pays the same admission as a guest who doesn't. Both are able to access the attractions.

Back on the original topic, I have found that I do better when I do not name my condition. Especially with something that common a name, the CM may have preconceptions about what the disease/condition is and how to deal with it. I know several people with lupus and similar conditions, and I know how varied the symptoms are. Think about the symptoms that make it difficult/impossible to wait in the line, and ask the CM for help with those only. Do not bring up things that are met by the wheelchair/ECV/etc - the CM cannot help you with those.

I would rent an ECV, as even with the DAS there are many things you may have problems with - character lines, parades, shows, fireworks, restaurants, things at the hotel, and the ever-present bus lines. The DAS does not work for those, and unless you line up for the parade 4 hours early, there will not be a bench in the shade to wait. Also, sometimes the DAS return location is not shaded, and there is usually a short wait upon return. Even if it is only 10 minutes (which is why they shorten the standby time by 10 minutes), that can be a lot in the sun. An ECV, especially one with a sunshade can help a lot.

I would also ask about the DAS for your other needs - it never hurts to ask. If they say you do not qualify for a DAS, go try to access the park and enjoy yourself. Then, if you encounter problems, go back to GR and tell them your specific concerns (like a particular line you tried to wait in and could not).

From past discussions I know this issue will not go anywhere but I do sympathize with the OP. The one thing that I can't see as being fair is that people with a mobility disability are forced to pay an additional charge to rent/buy a device while other disabilities are accommodated free with a DAS. I know I will get the usual Disney gets to do whatever they want but making one group pay extra but not the other is just not right.

I don't really think it's that comparable. You might see someone getting the DAS for free and someone else renting a wheelchair or EVC for a cost, but that doesn't mean there aren't additional costs as well for the DAS user.

Whether it's someone getting a monorail line room, a rental car even when they're on property, or staying in the park for a few hours versus a WC user who stays all day... There's a lot that goes on. We all have to accommodate ourselves cost wise in one way or another.

No one is forcing anyone into anything though. People have the choice to rent or not rent just like I would have the choice to stay on the monorail or not. It's about weighing the costs versus the benefits.

Last edited:

well then maybe disney should give me a cheeper ticket since I can not spend the whole day at the park or maybe pay my ER trip my be they should have free head phones for me since that is what I need to be able to disney I could go on and on but I have to pay for it and I do.

The one thing that I can't see as being fair is that people with a mobility disability are forced to pay an additional charge to rent/buy a device while other disabilities are accommodated free with a DAS.

if ECVs and wheelchairs were free.. EVERYONE would want one, they would run out a lot faster than they do already and there would be even more of a problem with them there is . at least by charging for them the cheap skates who are just lazy won't be taking one away from someone who legitimately needs it.

my first 2 chairs were hand me downs from friends/relatives. eventually I will need new/custom one that insurance will cover. people with real legitimate needs can see if their insurance will cover the cost of renting one or purchasing one

prior to that I was never FORCED to rent one. however doing so made my vacation far more enjoyable for everyone involved and it became part of our travel budget to factor in the cost of one. I will gladly drink one less glass of wine a day or buy one less souvenir to not break the bank/.

uh NO. a DAS would be completely USELESS to accommodate MY needs.

They did something like this and it ended up with longer waits for everyone. Disney, or any place of public accommodation, doesn't have to provide personal assistance devices - wheelchairs, ecv, noise canceling headphones, iPads, communication devices, special needs strollers, weighted blankets, etc etc etc. all items that people have used because of their needs. Disney has to provide responsible access. Not equal. Resonable. They get to choose how. And it doesn't have to be an individual decision. They can say this type of need is met this way and its up to the patron to explain why that way doesn't work for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter