Lymph Lode lump after tetanus (tdap)?

branv

<font color=blue>The safety feature in my parents
I will be calling my doctor when they open on Monday, but just wanted to know if this is normal. I had a tetanus (tdap) shot on Thursday, not for an injury, just b/c I hadn't had one since I was 12. Had the usual arm pain you get from vaccines, though this was sore enough to interrupt my sleep some. However, today (Sunday) I noticed my shoulder and collar bone felt sore, and was rubbing it. I found a large marble sized lump over my collar bone, that moves around quite a bit. I presume this is my lymph node and that it could just be a reaction to the shot. However, I can't find anything online from the medical community that says this can happen, only patient reports of it occurring. Health otherwise is fine, no fever, though allergies have been fairly bad the past few days.

Has this happened to anyone else? Anything I should do?

Believe it or not, this is budget related b/c our 10 year anniversary is this week and we have ressies I have to cancel 24 hours in advance to avoid a penalty. Soooo...would be nice to be forewarned if I may end up with a fever or something. :thumbsup2

I just had this at the beginning of March. I called the doctor's office about it and the receptionist couldn't believe they would be connected. His nurse called back and told me it was (or could be). Mine was about the side of a quarter, raised and hurt--my left side. It didn't show up until two days after the shot.

I would ask if they checked you for any kind of infection also. I had a UTI going on, no symptoms except for a strange smell, which I told them about. (I had an abscessed tooth, no symptoms also.) They called me back about 30 minutes after speaking with the nurse about the lump. They called in anti-biotics and the lump went down the next day, still painful for another day at least though.

That lump can also be a sign of infection.

*I had the Boostrix shot.

Thank you both for the information! Always unnerving to find anything like this, even when you suspect it's easily explained and fixed, so I do appreciate taking the time to share your insight and info!

I've had everything from swollen glands to fever to rash with any vaccines. In the past year I have had the pneumonia vaccine, Tdap, Menningococal vaccine, 2 flu vaccines and one other vaccine I can't remember

I had some type of reaction every single one of them. With the fevers, my doctor just waits them out for about 3 or 4 days and with the swollen glands, she has me wait it out a week before coming in to get it checked. So far, everything has resolved itself on its own.

The Tdap is one of the most painful vaccines you can get so I am not surprised you were that sore. My doctor recommends taking tylenol before getting the vaccine and another dose later in the day before bed.

I've been suffering with neurological complications from a tetanus booster for nearly three years. All doctors say it can't happen but it does, look at the inserts that come from the vaccine manufacturer. If they don't report it, how will they ever know what the real side effects are. In my case there was no doubt, the same day my arm swelled up like a softball I started having extreme pressure in the back of my head and my throat was was having spasms, funny feeling at my spine, and tingling in head and progressed to other things--all of which couldn't be explained otherwise. In one day my life was changed by a tetanus shot. I will never get another vaccine as long as I live. You can report reactions on the government VAERS site, and they can also be searched to see similar reactions with that batch of vaccinations or others. Hope you are doing better.

I got the tdap recently and had swollen glands in my armpit for about a week along with a large lump in my arm. It was a nasty shot and I don't know if I'll get another vaccine anytime soon.

I know this is an old post, but I was searching to see if shots would be required (for hopefully future Eurpoean Cruise :cool1:), and found this post!!

I'm sure you've gotten your answer by now...but when I got my tetnus update before going to Germany (many, many years ago!!) I got a huge goose-sized egg at the injection site. I went to the Drs and he said although it wasn't "normal", it wasn't "abnormal" either (whatever the heck that means!) He said it was like all my anti-bodies charged to the injection site, to try to get rid of the "invasion". He also said, unless I'm actually hurt, that I probably shouldn't ever get another booster, because I have very strong antibodies against that particular thing.

I've been suffering with neurological complications from a tetanus booster for nearly three years. All doctors say it can't happen but it does, look at the inserts that come from the vaccine manufacturer. If they don't report it, how will they ever know what the real side effects are. In my case there was no doubt, the same day my arm swelled up like a softball I started having extreme pressure in the back of my head and my throat was was having spasms, funny feeling at my spine, and tingling in head and progressed to other things--all of which couldn't be explained otherwise. In one day my life was changed by a tetanus shot. I will never get another vaccine as long as I live. You can report reactions on the government VAERS site, and they can also be searched to see similar reactions with that batch of vaccinations or others. Hope you are doing better.

:hug::hug::hug:

I was going to suggest self-reporting on VAERS, too. It's a side-effect, and it's worth reporting! If we don't report these things, how will future people know what the side-effects are?

And FWIW theh OP is lucky if that's all that happened. My mom was given that shot (while being told she was being given ONLY the tetanus toxoid and she was still being strong-armed into it by her doctor) and got sicker than she'd ever been before, for OVER a month. It was very scary. As soon as she pulled herself together and got the energy to go back in to get her records, she found out she was given the dtap/dtp (not sure which one). She was LIVID and changed doctors immediately (of course sheh should never have believed them to begin with as almost no one has the plain old tetanus). She'd never been that sick before.

I know this is a very old post at this point, but I was wondering what was the outcome for you? Ive been suffering from bizarre neurological symptoms which started immediately following the Tdap vaccine. Its been 7 months now. Please reply if you see this or feel free to email me at brocchi1288@aim.com. Thanks in advance!

:hug::hug::hug:

I was going to suggest self-reporting on VAERS, too. It's a side-effect, and it's worth reporting! If we don't report these things, how will future people know what the side-effects are? And FWIW theh OP is lucky if that's all that happened. My mom was given that shot (while being told she was being given ONLY the tetanus toxoid and she was still being strong-armed into it by her doctor) and got sicker than she'd ever been before, for OVER a month. It was very scary. As soon as she pulled herself together and got the energy to go back in to get her records, she found out she was given the dtap/dtp (not sure which one). She was LIVID and changed doctors immediately (of course sheh should never have believed them to begin with as almost no one has the plain old tetanus). She'd never been that sick before.

When DD was about 13, DH took her to the pediatrician for something, and while she was there they gave her a tetanus booster, and meningitis shot, and gardasil. Too many at one time in my opinion, but I was at work. She started having a reaction almost immediately. Why? SHE'S ALLERGIC TO PERTUSSIS VACCINE. DH knows it, DD knows it, and it's right there in her chart, but they gave her the tetanus booster, and of course nobody has the plain old tetanus shot anymore- it's dTap or dap. They called me from the ER. She was OK, but it was NOT pretty and she was in pain for about a week. I was livid and marched down to the peds office and I am afraid I had a hissy right there for everyone in the waiting room to hear. While I am not proud of my actions, I don't feel that I was out of line, and I hope other patients there that day gave what I was saying some thought. Of course, I don't know... because we changed doctors that day. I followed it up the chain of command, though. All of this was absolutely unnecessary.

Thank you both for the information! Always unnerving to find anything like this, even when you suspect it's easily explained and fixed, so I do appreciate taking the time to share your insight and info!
Hi there! I know it's eight years later :) but would you mind telling me what were the results of your lump? I'm sitting here worried about a lump right on my collarbone that moves up down. My neck is stiff, I just had a tetanus shot and a flu shot five days ago. I just discovered it. Here I am, after midnight.. I'm scheduled for a hip injection for arthritis in the morning. All I needed was another worry! Ughhhh! I'd so appreciate a response ❤️

Hi there! I know it's eight years later :) but would you mind telling me what were the results of your lump? I'm sitting here worried about a lump right on my collarbone that moves up down. My neck is stiff, I just had a tetanus shot and a flu shot five days ago. I just discovered it. Here I am, after midnight.. I'm scheduled for a hip injection for arthritis in the morning. All I needed was another worry! Ughhhh! I'd so appreciate a response ❤
Hey, same thing happened to me. I got a tetanus shot and 4 days later I noticed a small lymph node above my collar bone. It moves up and down It is still there after 7 weeks. Is that normal? Is it gonna go down?

Hey, same thing happened to me. I got a tetanus shot and 4 days later I noticed a small lymph node above my collar bone. It moves up and down It is still there after 7 weeks. Is that normal? Is it gonna go down?

Hi Gyorgyi and Petra - same thing just happened to me. Had the Tdap shot last week and then two days ago discovered a lump near my left collar bone. I was worried about it and didn't want to sit on the issue, so went to the walk-in clinic today. The doc said lymph nodes are not his specialty but that he suspects it's just inflamed from the shot. He told me to put a warm compress on it and take motrin or asprin for the next couple days. He said if it doesn't go down, or if it gets larger, to see my general practitioner. Truthfully, he didn't seem very worried but of course, it's unsettling to have a lump near your neck. I wish there was more information on this but please keep in touch so that we can hopefully find an answer together. Hoping Branv can reply :)

Hi Gyorgyi and Petra - same thing just happened to me. Had the Tdap shot last week and then two days ago discovered a lump near my left collar bone. I was worried about it and didn't want to sit on the issue, so went to the walk-in clinic today. The doc said lymph nodes are not his specialty but that he suspects it's just inflamed from the shot. He told me to put a warm compress on it and take motrin or asprin for the next couple days. He said if it doesn't go down, or if it gets larger, to see my general practitioner. Truthfully, he didn't seem very worried but of course, it's unsettling to have a lump near your neck. I wish there was more information on this but please keep in touch so that we can hopefully find an answer together. Hoping Branv can reply :)
Hey! Thank you for the answer. For me its been there for 2 months now. It is kinda the same size. Not sure why its not going down, i will see a dr soon about it. Mine is very small and moves around. Keep us posted! All the bests!

As long as it is mobile and tender, it is most likely from the vaccine. The Tdap can cause some nasty side-effects. Also, ibuprofen is the go-to after a vaccine. Tylenol affects detox pathways and you want to be able to expel all the adjuvants they put in the vaccines.

As long as it is mobile and tender, it is most likely from the vaccine. The Tdap can cause some nasty side-effects. Also, ibuprofen is the go-to after a vaccine. Tylenol affects detox pathways and you want to be able to expel all the adjuvants they put in the vaccines.
Thanks for your response! Hard to say if it's mobile and tender but it does seem to be getting smaller... Will see the doc if it doesn't go away in the next couple weeks.

Hey! Thank you for the answer. For me its been there for 2 months now. It is kinda the same size. Not sure why its not going down, i will see a dr soon about it. Mine is very small and moves around. Keep us posted! All the bests!
Yes mine seems small and seems to move around too. If it doesn't go away by the end of the month I will see the doc. I'll keep you posted on any updates that might be helpful and please do the same. All the best!

I still have it after 3 months. I think its a little smaller but still... anyone has any updates how long this takes to go away?

Hi Gyorgyi. Hope you're doing well. I had an appointment to see my GP because I still have the same small knot near my lymph node and it's been 3+ months. But then unfortunately COVID-19 happened and I cancelled the appointment. Hope you're healthy and well and just wanted to check in if you had any updates on the lymph node issue? Curious if you saw a doctor or received any results. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter