Lymphoma patient & mobility/

pacecar

Earning My Ears
I am taking my little brother with us to WDW. He is as of now suffering from Lymphoma and getting stemcell treatments. I don't know what his endurence level will be for our visit in Feb. I was looking for advice about getting him around and if the GAC would be applicable to his condition. He will have about 2 months after treatment to recover before we get to WDW and is 40 years old. We have no experience as a family with cancer and I assume that recovery rates are different but some general advice would be great.

We just returned from a trip Oct 7 through 13. My 5 year old son was recently diagnosed with a brain tumor. He looks perfectly normal but does still have somewhat of a low energy level after surgery and radiation. The cms were nice and didn't ever question us. He would get in and out of the wheelchair and walk sometimes. When he did that, we would get a few "looks" from other visitors. No one ever said anything, but I would have been willing to explain it to them.

Welcome to our board. Click on the link in my signature and look at the sections on Pacing and the Guest Assistance Card. You may want to consider using a wheelchair or ECV for distance transport, as things are very far apart throughout WDW and you will want to conserve energy for the fun stuff. And stay with this board for a bit while you are planning, there are many great tips here!

Pacecar, welcome! About a year ago I started reading this board on disabilities. I read lots of information about the Guest Assistance Card (GAC), wheelchairs, ECV (electric convenience vehicles), handicapped parking, etc. It was the people on this board who encouraged me (through my reading) to get a permanent handicapped parking permit, a GAC at WDW & to rent an ECV while at WDW. I agree with Teri that you might want to consider a wheelchair or ECV - both can be rented at WDW or other off site places (info available on this board). One spends a lot of time on their feet at WDW! Please feel free to ask questions, discuss your concerns, etc.

Looks like you already got a proper welcome, so I'll just add to it.
Here is some information about renting ecvs or wheelchairs:
Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/

Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

RANDY'S Mobility is in Kissimmee 407-892-4777
http://randysmobility.com/

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html

At each park, you can get a Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities. It gives very basic info about the rides and shows, with very little inforamtion about boarding. The part that might be useful to you, is it gives how many minutes each ride lasts. That might help him to pace himself. In general, the MK seems to be a tiring park for many people because you do have to get out of the wheelchair for most rides. Each ride is also short, so you are getting in and out a lot of times in a short period. Keep in mind that he can go to First Aid in any of the parks to rent. That might be a lot less tiring than going back to his room.
CLICK HERE for a link to the DIS info for Guests with Disabilities page.

Pacecar,
We are taking my father-in-law (age 62) in 2 weeks who has also had a stem cell transplant because of lymphona! He had his transplant in July and is doing GREAT!. :bounce: We will probably get him a wheelchair just because he still isn't quite up to speed just yet. But the transplant has been a miracle! We almost lost him twice but God was on our side. Where did your brother have his transplant? We are in St. Louis. Best of luck to you and your family and have fun planning your trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter