Magic Band "NEW KIND" -Update: Post #70-

I can't understand canceling a trip due to an allergy to the new magic bands. They have been in existence for less than 5 years, we all went for many trips before MB and survived just fine!
I'm with you. I just don't get it. We used a "Key to the World" many times. In fact, I still have one assigned to me in MDE.

I can't understand canceling a trip due to an allergy to the new magic bands. They have been in existence for less than 5 years, we all went for many trips before MB and survived just fine!

However, Disney has integrated so much into the be magicbands that is now a inconvenience if you can't have one. Sure, you can use a card, but you have to have something to carry it in, pull it out constantly, and you don't get the benefits that the long range RFID integrated into the bands offered. And honestly, it's just against what Disney normally stands for (with ADA and allergy issues) to make an object that can't be worn by people with metal allergies, which is a growing percentage of the population.

Didn't work. Too thick and it peeled off. Too thin and the acidity of my skin wears through it too quickly. It might work for some people but not for everyone and not for me.
Well, thanks for reporting on that. It was kind of my go to solution, so I might need to rethink my plan, and come up with a different way of doing it.

Well, thanks for reporting on that. It was kind of my go to solution, so I might need to rethink my plan, and come up with a different way of doing it.

If you find anything, let me know. I did make sure to report my allergic reaction but since DH & I are planning to go again probably next year, I'll need to find a better solution.

I tried epoxy (peeled if too thick, wore through if single layer), moleskin (peeled up at the edges because of the friction against my skin so was uncomfortable and I couldn't guarantee it would stay covered) and clear nail polish (also wore through). We have a spare band still from our trip that I'll be able to experiment on.

However, Disney has integrated so much into the be magicbands that is now a inconvenience if you can't have one. Sure, you can use a card, but you have to have something to carry it in, pull it out constantly, and you don't get the benefits that the long range RFID integrated into the bands offered. And honestly, it's just against what Disney normally stands for (with ADA and allergy issues) to make an object that can't be worn by people with metal allergies, which is a growing percentage of the population.

If you find anything, let me know. I did make sure to report my allergic reaction but since DH & I are planning to go again probably next year, I'll need to find a better solution.

I tried epoxy (peeled if too thick, wore through if single layer), moleskin (peeled up at the edges because of the friction against my skin so was uncomfortable and I couldn't guarantee it would stay covered) and clear nail polish (also wore through). We have a spare band still from our trip that I'll be able to experiment on.

They do have the accessories for the new "pucks" so you don't need to keep them in the band. There are 2 different "clip on" styles of accessories. One has a small clip and the other has a caribiner clip. They can be attached to a belt loop, purse strap, lanyard, etc. so they will be an option for those who can't or don't want it touching their skin.

I'll have to wait until I have one in my hands to get into messing with it, but right off the top of my head, my next go to idea is to leave the screw out, and use an adhesive to glue the puck into the band. Obviously, I can't know whether that will work until I see and handle the band myself though.

They do have the accessories for the new "pucks" so you don't need to keep them in the band. There are 2 different "clip on" styles of accessories. One has a small clip and the other has a caribiner clip. They can be attached to a belt loop, purse strap, lanyard, etc. so they will be an option for those who can't or don't want it touching their skin.

They didn't release the MagicKeepers until the day I came home so I wasn't able to test one, but I don't always carry a purse and a lot of my clothing doesn't help belt loops or pockets, so I would still have to have my husband hold the MagicKeeper for me, which wouldn't work since I often go on rides without him. I need a solution to completely cover the screws on the magicbands that won't wear away or peel off, OR I need nonmetal magickeepers if I'm going to have to physically hold onto them. Right now all of the magickeepers are metal.

Even if I did carry a purse just to be able to carry a magickeeper, I would have to unclip the magickeeper each time I used i it, which is frankly a pain since I used the band a lot each day, for FP+, payments, and photopass.

The magicbands are convenient and I like wearing them, but can't wear the new style. I'm not the only one who feels this way, from discussions that I have seen and heard. Plus, even if they do make a magickeeper eventually that I can use, why should I have to pay for another accessory when nickel allergies are very VERY common? I heard multiple people complaining during my trip because they didn't know about the new magicbands until they arrive (I'm assuming they were international travelers and didn't get their bands ahead of time or didn't put it on ahead of time so only discovered the metal issue once they got to Disney) and the resort had to track down old style bands because the guests couldn't wear them... Again because of the screws.

Thanks, I bought my kids character specific ones about a year ago for our upcoming trip. Any idea how long the batteries last?

Thanks, I bought my kids character specific ones about a year ago for our upcoming trip. Any idea how long the batteries last?

They will always work being used for FP, entry, resort key and paying. The battery was used for tracking and I believe linking taking photos when on the rides. Also should get at least 3 years out of that battery anyway.

Officially it's 2-3 years, but I'm not sure when the timer starts... when they become linked to an account the first time, or when they're put into packaging after they're made! That could make a difference. But yes, even after the battery dies, you can still use the touchpoint for getting into your hotel room, fast passes, paying, photopass, etc. It's just the long range that won't work, so ride videos, ride photos, queue effects, and food delivery like in BOG.

Maybe a small strip of kinesio tape (KT or Rocktape) underneath the band to prevent it from touching your skin? It should stay on through the whole day. I've worn it through several marathons and it lasted for days. Waterproof too - meaning it won't come off if it gets wet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter