Magic Key Program

That's what I was afraid of. That's very unsatisfying. So there's no way to know from just a quick glance at the calendar. Ugh. In any event, thank you for the quick response.
If you have all of your keys linked on your account, you can choose "make park reservations" and you could reserve them. It would be one at a time, I think, but you could quickly see if you could all get a reservation. If there weren't enough for everyone, you could cancel the ones that you were able to make. Not ideal, for sure, but you'd know pretty fast.

If you have all of your keys linked on your account, you can choose "make park reservations" and you could reserve them. It would be one at a time, I think, but you could quickly see if you could all get a reservation. If there weren't enough for everyone, you could cancel the ones that you were able to make. Not ideal, for sure, but you'd know pretty fast.
You can book all the linked keys at once.

Has everyone so far been able to get in on any day they want to?

Looking at the access calendar, I see that most Saturdays from now and much of December is already booked, even for the top-tier Dream pass. i assume this is from people hoarding reservations only to cancel them the day before, because I see tomorrow is open.

I might still consider getting a MK if people are mostly getting to go when they want to, even with same day or next day reservations due to late cancels.

Looking at the access calendar, I see that most Saturdays from now and much of December is already booked, even for the top-tier Dream pass. i assume this is from people hoarding reservations only to cancel them the day before, because I see tomorrow is open.

I might still consider getting a MK if people are mostly getting to go when they want to, even with same day or next day reservations due to late cancels.
I think that there are factors that make it a good choice for some. If you're local or at least in easy driving distance, you have the ability to make (and cancel) reservations last minute. You can also hold rolling reservations for just-in-case trips, which is why the weekends are always going to be booked quickly as soon as they come open. For those of us who fly and/or have to book hotels, it's much harder because we lack the flexibility. In that case, you have to know pretty far ahead when you plan to go and jump on park reservations as soon as possible, especially for weekends. As of now, if you want to go at a certain time and the park reservations are unavailable (which is often the case with the Dream pass on weekends), you have to either (1) stay on site and use the hotel reservation pool, assuming you don't already hold the max number of reservations on your pass, (2) buy tickets (negating the value of the pass), or (3) hope that your dates come open as people cancel at the last minute.

I have a Dream pass, purchased first day. I have yet to see if that is going to be a good choice for me; it may have been better for me to just purchase hoppers when I want to go. I have 2 upcoming trips, one in Nov and one in Dec. The Dec trip was planned first and is an annual thing I do with my sister. I have our park days reserved and did that as soon as they came open. But then I got the chance to go in Nov for 3 days. Well, I can only make 6 reservations at once, so which day do I leave off? What do I do about that 3rd day in Nov I can't reserve? Do I drop a Dec day and hope I can rebook after my first day in the parks in Nov? I hate having to worry about that, and it definitely diminishes the value of the pass IMO.

The Dream pass, IMO, has crappy availability, also.

Yes, I have. I have not yet NOT been able to go on a day I wanted to. Today will be visit #10 using my Dream key.

Tomorrow is open because of the rain forecast.

I think that there are factors that make it a good choice for some. If you're local or at least in easy driving distance, you have the ability to make (and cancel) reservations last minute. You can also hold rolling reservations for just-in-case trips, which is why the weekends are always going to be booked quickly as soon as they come open. For those of us who fly and/or have to book hotels, it's much harder because we lack the flexibility. In that case, you have to know pretty far ahead when you plan to go and jump on park reservations as soon as possible, especially for weekends. As of now, if you want to go at a certain time and the park reservations are unavailable (which is often the case with the Dream pass on weekends), you have to either (1) stay on site and use the hotel reservation pool, assuming you don't already hold the max number of reservations on your pass, (2) buy tickets (negating the value of the pass), or (3) hope that your dates come open as people cancel at the last minute.

I have a Dream pass, purchased first day. I have yet to see if that is going to be a good choice for me; it may have been better for me to just purchase hoppers when I want to go. I have 2 upcoming trips, one in Nov and one in Dec. The Dec trip was planned first and is an annual thing I do with my sister. I have our park days reserved and did that as soon as they came open. But then I got the chance to go in Nov for 3 days. Well, I can only make 6 reservations at once, so which day do I leave off? What do I do about that 3rd day in Nov I can't reserve? Do I drop a Dec day and hope I can rebook after my first day in the parks in Nov? I hate having to worry about that, and it definitely diminishes the value of the pass IMO.

The Dream pass, IMO, has crappy availability, also.

They didn't design these passes for non locals. I would never buy one of I lived far away or recommend it for anyone who has to travel in to visit.

They didn't design these passes for non locals. I would never buy one of I lived far away or recommend it for anyone who has to travel in to visit.
Not quite sure that's true as they do allows booking 90days out compared to the Flexpass at 30days and really was a more local oriented pass than the current MKs.

The adjustment I would make to encourage both MK membership AND onsite hotel stays -- all DLR hotel stays will NOT count toward the max reservation during that length of stay days.

Not quite sure that's true as they do allows booking 90days out compared to the Flexpass at 30days and really was a more local oriented pass than the current MKs.

The adjustment I would make to encourage both MK membership AND onsite hotel stays -- all DLR hotel stays will NOT count toward the max reservation during that length of stay days.

These aren't flex passes though and the reason why they don't do what you suggest is because they do NOT want people visiting from out of town to be buying magic keys.

I think it really depends on how you plan to use it. If I wanted for example to go to the parks for four 3-day trips with hopping over the course of the year and my trips were spaced at least 2-3 months apart, I don't really think I would have trouble booking what I want, and even buying the dream key I would save money over buying parkhopper tickets.

I live in northern California and have had a Disneyland annual pass mostly continuously (let it expire a couple times when there was longer than usual between planned visits) since 2006. Both my sons currently live in southern California, so I knew we would be down that way to see them if nothing else several times over the next year. I ran the numbers and decided to take the chance on the dream passes for my husband and me. And, yeah, the holiday calendar situation stinks for someone like me who wants to plan out a lot of days in October and November with even a possible quick return trip in December. In my case, I decided to pick my priorities and be ready to be flexible, to compromise, and to have alternate plans. We did 3 full days this month plus several hours on arrival day and a couple hours on departure day (scored that reservation the night before when relaxing and enjoying an evening snack in the park). So we managed to enter the park 5 days during our first month of pass ownership. Was I able to book all the days in November that I wanted...no. I had booked the two that were most important to me before leaving for the October trip, but by the time we checked in on the first day of that trip all the remaining desired days were gone but one. But October was all about Disney for me and November we will be down in part for Disney but for other reasons as well. I was able to get 3 of the days I wanted but would prefer to have 1 or 2 more, so I will stalk the calendar. In the meantime, unable to get my November dates, I grabbed December 30 and 31. Will I go? I'm not sure yet, but since I paid for that dream key and I would like to go, I decided I would book a hotel room and grab what I might want when it was available and not have regrets later. If I don't go, some last minute planner who owns a dream key will be very happy.

So really the biggest problem that I see with all of this as a non-local key holder is that it involves a lot more planning and uncertainty than the old way of just having an annual pass and going. So I wouldn't rule out the magic key for non-locals; I would just say that you have to think ahead and decide what the minimum you need to get out of it is to feel that it is worth the effort to get the value from it. And that takes more planning and more math and more flexibility. It's a trade-off as so many things are.

I think it really depends on how you plan to use it. If I wanted for example to go to the parks for four 3-day trips with hopping over the course of the year and my trips were spaced at least 2-3 months apart, I don't really think I would have trouble booking what I want, and even buying the dream key I would save money over buying parkhopper tickets.

I live in northern California and have had a Disneyland annual pass mostly continuously (let it expire a couple times when there was longer than usual between planned visits) since 2006. Both my sons currently live in southern California, so I knew we would be down that way to see them if nothing else several times over the next year. I ran the numbers and decided to take the chance on the dream passes for my husband and me. And, yeah, the holiday calendar situation stinks for someone like me who wants to plan out a lot of days in October and November with even a possible quick return trip in December. In my case, I decided to pick my priorities and be ready to be flexible, to compromise, and to have alternate plans. We did 3 full days this month plus several hours on arrival day and a couple hours on departure day (scored that reservation the night before when relaxing and enjoying an evening snack in the park). So we managed to enter the park 5 days during our first month of pass ownership. Was I able to book all the days in November that I wanted...no. I had booked the two that were most important to me before leaving for the October trip, but by the time we checked in on the first day of that trip all the remaining desired days were gone but one. But October was all about Disney for me and November we will be down in part for Disney but for other reasons as well. I was able to get 3 of the days I wanted but would prefer to have 1 or 2 more, so I will stalk the calendar. In the meantime, unable to get my November dates, I grabbed December 30 and 31. Will I go? I'm not sure yet, but since I paid for that dream key and I would like to go, I decided I would book a hotel room and grab what I might want when it was available and not have regrets later. If I don't go, some last minute planner who owns a dream key will be very happy.

So really the biggest problem that I see with all of this as a non-local key holder is that it involves a lot more planning and uncertainty than the old way of just having an annual pass and going. So I wouldn't rule out the magic key for non-locals; I would just say that you have to think ahead and decide what the minimum you need to get out of it is to feel that it is worth the effort to get the value from it. And that takes more planning and more math and more flexibility. It's a trade-off as so many things are.

Yeah, it definitely requires a lot more pre-planning and making sure your trips work from a timing perspective, like you only have one trip in any given 90 day period. But again, this added level of complexity is by design. Disney wants people to go "nevermind, this is too complicated, we'll juts buy multi day tickets a few times a year." Disney wins that way.

Yeah, it definitely requires a lot more pre-planning and making sure your trips work from a timing perspective, like you only have one trip in any given 90 day period. But again, this added level of complexity is by design. Disney wants people to go "nevermind, this is too complicated, we'll juts buy multi day tickets a few times a year." Disney wins that way.

Oh, I agree that's what Disney wants. Their implementation of a reservation program and then their refusal to allow single or multi-day tickets to be upgraded through any means other than an inconvenient visit to a ticket booth is another example of that. They would rather you buy a 2 day ticket then decide 3 days would be better and have you then buy a 3 day ticket and just save the 2 day ticket for a future visit.

Some people are going to absolutely value their time over money and may be able to afford to do so. For most people though, I believe the "is my time or my money more valuable question" is a little more variable case by case. So all I was saying is that I think for me, a non-local, the magic key will work this year, and it might work for others. I will add though that for me it was always a certainty in the past that I would either renew my annual pass at renewal time or have one again within 2-3 months. I definitely don't feel as committed to that idea these days in part because of the reservation system and in part because of the state of the parks. That's why I am looking at this year as either a bit of an experiment or a bit of a goodbye.

Yes, I have. I have not yet NOT been able to go on a day I wanted to. Today will be visit #10 using my Dream key.

Tomorrow is open because of the rain forecast.
Same and I’ve been 8 times so far.

I'm a local and I've been able to go whenever I want. I'm going to caveat that, though. I usually plan what days I'm going in advance, and only drop in when friends are going. That hasn't happened yet, so when friends come in from out of town and I want to visit the parks on the same day I'll see if the days are available or not. Right now, I'm going on the 27th with my brother, the 29th on my own, and then in November, my daughter and I are going to the first Merriest night, then I'm going the next day with my brother (who has the Imagine key and last day for him to go on a Friday). I anticipate that 11/12 will be very busy! I'm going again Dec 19th, which is a Sunday, and that's it for the year. Next reservations are in January. I had other reservations in November, but it's a busy month for me, and so I figured that I would cancel those reservations for other people that are going to want to go.

I'm a local and I've been able to go whenever I want. I'm going to caveat that, though. I usually plan what days I'm going in advance, and only drop in when friends are going. That hasn't happened yet, so when friends come in from out of town and I want to visit the parks on the same day I'll see if the days are available or not. Right now, I'm going on the 27th with my brother, the 29th on my own, and then in November, my daughter and I are going to the first Merriest night, then I'm going the next day with my brother (who has the Imagine key and last day for him to go on a Friday). I anticipate that 11/12 will be very busy! I'm going again Dec 19th, which is a Sunday, and that's it for the year. Next reservations are in January. I had other reservations in November, but it's a busy month for me, and so I figured that I would cancel those reservations for other people that are going to want to go.

Yeah, this is a situation I was thinking about also. I have a friend and some family that periodically comes to the parks and the way the system is, I would not be likely to be able to just join them, especially if it's a multi day trip. That kind of stinks.

Yes, I totally agree with this. I live north of Sacramento and generally go to DLR about 6 times a year. Often, those are 3-day trips. It's a quick & easy flight down and something I really enjoy. I've been an APer for about the same amount of time as you and usually go with friends. Now that all 3 of my youngest are in college, I'm even more flexible with my timing. I can't even complain about the cost of the pass because my husband happily buys it for me. He doesn't like DLR and much prefers to spend his time on the golf course. I think buying my pass is his way of resolving whatever guilt that may incur and I'm not complaining! I love to do things like Dapper Day, Tiki/Adventureland Day, holidays of course, my birthday, my friend's and daughters' birthdays, Disneyland's birthday--you get the picture. So for me, I do think it will be a savings, but it won't be the easy-peasy trips of pre-pandemic times and it's a new learning curve for me.

So I also live near Sacramento and I'm kind of debating the new AP or just buying park hoppers throughout the year. I've plotted out my DL trips over the next year. Simplified to one person.

Month/Day/YearLength of TripPH Ticket CostMK CostOn-Site Stay?
December 3-6, 20214 days$395No
March 24-26, 20223 days$365Yes, DVC
June 9-12, 20224 days$395Yes, DVC
September 23-25, 20223 days$365No
November 23-264 days$395Yes, DVC
TOTAL18 days$1915$1399
Cost per visit$106/day$78/day

It's tricky, so in any given 90 day window, I don't have very many active days under reservation > 6. What shunts me to the AP is that, with DVC reservations, I can book in the hotel stay bucket, so I don't have to catch days right at the 90 day mark. So in this case, AP works for me as an out-of-towner.

If I couldn't pull from the bucket, I'd have to take a risk. March + June is 7 days in a 90 day window, same with September + November. You can de-risk by staying on-site, though.

So I also live near Sacramento and I'm kind of debating the new AP or just buying park hoppers throughout the year. I've plotted out my DL trips over the next year. Simplified to one person.

Month/Day/YearLength of TripPH Ticket CostMK CostOn-Site Stay?
December 3-6, 20214 days$395No
March 24-26, 20223 days$365Yes, DVC
June 9-12, 20224 days$395Yes, DVC
September 23-25, 20223 days$365No
November 23-264 days$395Yes, DVC
TOTAL18 days$1915$1399
Cost per visit$106/day$78/day

It's tricky, so in any given 90 day window, I don't have very many active days under reservation > 6. What shunts me to the AP is that, with DVC reservations, I can book in the hotel stay bucket, so I don't have to catch days right at the 90 day mark. So in this case, AP works for me as an out-of-towner.

If I couldn't pull from the bucket, I'd have to take a risk. March + June is 7 days in a 90 day window, same with September + November. You can de-risk by staying on-site, though.
Even without the candlelight weekend you're still ahead with MK.

I think this is why Disney has distanced themselves from calling it an annual pass. I think guests largely think of annual passes as “all you can use” or “every day of the year” kind of things.

This is clearly a frequent visitor pass but wasn’t designed (or was clearly designed against) as being a come every weekend type of thing.

Even if you only did five or six trips a year that were two or three day long trips the keys would make financial sense. Six visits of two days each with park hoppers would almost be $1750, a Dream Key is $1,400.

You save a few hundred bucks, you save any parking costs, and you get a merch/food discount. You likely would be able to get your dates since you could book a Sat/Sun weekend for three visits up to 90 days in advance and this cost run down is assuming six visits a year (so you would have plenty of reservation days to hold and snap up new days as soon as they were available).

So ultimately Disney is saving customers money, allowing them to have a *chance* at any day of the year, but also trying to discourage the weekly “hey, let’s just go visit Disney for lunch and do one or two rides.”

I’m curious if a pass that had more reservations (12+ at a time) or no reservations at all but had some select days blocked out (say 20 days total around the major holidays) AND was priced the same as a Dream Pass and didn’t include free parking, if it would have been more favorable to locals that want to visit all the time.

Or if locals would dislike having to pay parking all the time and full price for food/merch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter