Magic Key Sales to Resume on 1/10/24!

Seems like there is still a lot of availability (basically just President's day weekend and MLK weekend are out of reservations right now). I noticed that a lot of availability popped up on Tuesday - basically every day was available, presumably to make room for the new Key holders. Hopefully this means that this new wave won't greatly affect reservation availability.

In practice though, we've never had issues with reservations - if we check the night before or even morning of, we've pretty much always been able to get in. Lots of people cancel last minute. It just kills that spontaneous 3pm decision to drive to DLR for dinner and a drink on a Friday night.

Yeah, the only day I wanted was this Sunday and couldn't get but the calander is much better then I thought it would be

Bloggers making it sound like every day is blocked out when 90 percent of the days open are still available at least for me

Yeah, the only day I wanted was this Sunday and couldn't get but the calander is much better then I thought it would be

Bloggers making it sound like every day is blocked out when 90 percent of the days open are still available at least for me
And, it's marathon weekend, so even CM's couldn't get main gate pass reservations this weekend.

Try checking back Saturday evening (like after 9-10 PM). A lot of people make spec reservations and cancel the night before to avoid the no show penalties. I do that all the time. I book most Saturdays and as my plans for any given weekend come into focus, I will cancel them as needed. I have picked up last minute ones before. Someone at Candlelight Processional said they picked up their park reservations the night before and that is a very crowded event and was sold out well in advance.

You couldn't get in with your MK? The MK calendar was offering reservations when the regular reservation calendar did not. With all of the new purchases, that may have changed.

Try checking back Saturday evening (like after 9-10 PM). A lot of people make spec reservations and cancel the night before to avoid the no show penalties. I do that all the time. I book most Saturdays and as my plans for any given weekend come into focus, I will cancel them as needed. I have picked up last minute ones before. Someone at Candlelight Processional said they picked up their park reservations the night before and that is a very crowded event and was sold out well in advance.
100% agree. Everyone does this, and @JerrodDragon89 you will start doing this as well.

You couldn't get in with your MK? The MK calendar was offering reservations when the regular reservation calendar did not. With all of the new purchases, that may have changed.
I will check back

But to answer the second post, yes I checked and Sunday was blocked out to make reservations

Also just to clarity not complaining, the calendar is more then open for now and I have 4 dates selected already

I think the only time it could upset me is if a friend randomly goes and I don't know until the day of but for the most part the system seems fine

I've never had a problem with reservations. I'm an Imagine Key holder and have 90% gone on a Tuesday. Occasional Friday and Monday. That said, the Imagine Key had a better value for 2023. They've blocked out 3 months I believe, so trying to decide to upgrade to Enchant, which gives some Sundays at least or just not renew at all because of the SoCal ticket offer.

I've never had a problem with reservations. I'm an Imagine Key holder and have 90% gone on a Tuesday. Occasional Friday and Monday. That said, the Imagine Key had a better value for 2023. They've blocked out 3 months I believe, so trying to decide to upgrade to Enchant, which gives some Sundays at least or just not renew at all because of the SoCal ticket offer.

Imagine Key had at least 3 months blocked out in 2023 too, from mid June to late August, and also Halloween and Thanksgiving to the end of Christmas was blocked from what I remember. Seems it'll mostly be the same this year.

Now that I've finished my 3rd run of Elden Ring I can finally turn my attention to Hogwarts Legacy. That'll give me something to do until my trip on the 30th.

Imagine Key had at least 3 months blocked out in 2023 too, from mid June to late August, and also Halloween and Thanksgiving to the end of Christmas was blocked from what I remember. Seems it'll mostly be the same this year.
It was that way in 2022 as well. That’s why I renewed to the Inspire Key when I renewed in last year.

I have a couple of random questions. If I upgrade to an inspire magic key on my second day of a two day ticket once i’m already in the park on that second day can I use the money spent on that ticket toward the pass and then still just have monthly payments?

And I understand that it’s best to be in the park already when upgrading so that you don’t lose your park reservation, right? I won’t have Genie plus that day so that won’t factor into anything.

I have a couple of random questions. If I upgrade to an inspire magic key on my second day of a two day ticket once i’m already in the park on that second day can I use the money spent on that ticket toward the pass and then still just have monthly payments?

And I understand that it’s best to be in the park already when upgrading so that you don’t lose your park reservation, right? I won’t have Genie plus that day so that won’t factor into anything.
Yes, if you update on the second day of a 2 day ticket, you can apply the ticket price paid towards your Inspire pass. Your expiration date will be based on the 1st day that you entered the park on the 2 day pass.

Yes, best to upgrade to a Magic key after you enter the park on the second day so that you don’t lose your reservation.

I’m not sure how the monthly payments work as I’m not a California resident and I paid in full. It would probably be best to go to the ticket booth to ask or start a chat with a Disney CM.

Speaking of last minute cancellations - the (very) few times I've not been able to go, or cancel before midnight, I'm shocked there is still no way to cancel "at all" after midnight - I'm onboard with the penalty after 3 cancellations, but seems D would WANT to know if we are not coming, even if we cancel at 6am the day of the visit. Their system should allow the cancellation anytime, but just give a popup saying, are you sure? and reminding of the penalty... just my 2 cents worth.

Speaking of last minute cancellations - the (very) few times I've not been able to go, or cancel before midnight, I'm shocked there is still no way to cancel "at all" after midnight - I'm onboard with the penalty after 3 cancellations, but seems D would WANT to know if we are not coming, even if we cancel at 6am the day of the visit. Their system should allow the cancellation anytime, but just give a popup saying, are you sure? and reminding of the penalty... just my 2 cents worth.
I don't think they really mind if a few dozen MK holders decide not to go. The point of reservations is to not overcrowd.

Their system should allow the cancellation anytime, but just give a popup saying, are you sure? and reminding of the penalty... just my 2 cents worth.
I understand your point however not sure why MK holder's would even bother to cancel if penalty is the same no matter what (same day after midnight)

It would only benefit Disney knowing you won't go yet still making your account go into no show status. :(

Wish we could cancel same day but sounds like Disney loves reservations system for California at least, as I know it's relaxing a bit for Florida due to less local visitors.

Last edited:
I understand your point however not sure why MK holder's would even bother to cancel if penalty is the same no matter what (same day after midnight)

It would only benefit Disney knowing you won't go yet still making your account go into no show status. :(

Wish we could cancel same day but sounds like Disney loves reservations system for California at least, as I know it's relaxing a bit for Florida due to less local visitors.
True. I would also hope if enough people cancelled after midnight, D might let a few in on reservations during the day. But their website always seems to struggle with how complex things are already, so maybe it's just easier for them to go "historically x number of people will no-show" and do all their planning based on that.

Yes, if you update on the second day of a 2 day ticket, you can apply the ticket price paid towards your Inspire pass. Your expiration date will be based on the 1st day that you entered the park on the 2 day pass.

Yes, best to upgrade to a Magic key after you enter the park on the second day so that you don’t lose your reservation.

I’m not sure how the monthly payments work as I’m not a California resident and I paid in full. It would probably be best to go to the ticket booth to ask or start a chat with a Disney CM.
If you have to do the upgrade at the booths to get the monthly payment plan, you will have exited the park. With the upgrade, you will lose that day’s park reservation. If there are no MK reservations for that day, would you be unable to re-enter the park that day? I think it would be unlikely that neither park would have an opening of park reservations on that day, but something to think about when you choose what time of day on the second day you want to do the upgrade (I think you can do the upgrade in the app after you enter the park, to avoid the reservations issue, but then **I think** you can’t set up monthly payments (but I could be incorrect about this)).

Isn't it also an added security measure to keep track of who/how many people are going to the resort?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter