Magic Key Sales to Resume on 1/10/24!

Considering they can control attendance via the reservations, this false scarcity move is just a money grab from Disney.

Convinces people on the fence to pull the trigger out of FOMO.

Convinces people with passes to renew on time, rather than potentially let the pass lapse for a few months then buy a new one.

Considering they can control attendance via the reservations, this false scarcity move is just a money grab from Disney.

Convinces people with passes to renew on time, rather than potentially let the pass lapse for a few months then buy a new one.

My siblings just let theirs expire. They had Believe keys. I hope they don't regret giving them up.

All I'll say is what I said earlier: for every five minutes jumping in line (8:50, 8:55, 9:00, etc.), you could expect at least 75 additional minutes waiting in the queue. That tells me there were a TON of people in the queue.
Yea my phone and my computer were10-15 seconds apart when entering the queue this morning and ended up 7 minutes apart at the end for purchasing.

Can’t really control Mk’s significantly with reservations. If I am paying for a pass and continually have trouble getting in you know layers will be lining up for fraud. Can’t offer me a product and not let me use it like promised.

Due to the brevity of the sales window, my guess is they replenished the void of MKs that didn't renew. I went the last day our Enchant Key was good, for Dec 15. I was surprised how light the crowds were considering it was the last day before the holiday blackout for that level. It was one of the better days we had in the park in a long time.

Congrats to those that got them, now there is a bigger group of MK holders to compete with for reservations.

I was hoping reservations were going away, but the limited sales more than likely indicates they are not.

I got in line before the online Q opened and even after almost 3 hours wasn't half way there to buy a Magic Key.....if I didn't upgrade my ticket in park...no idea if I would have a Magic Key
But you were able to upgrade in the park yesterday? I was thinking about you as I waited in the slow line. You had mentioned that you weren't going to go to the ticket booth until later in they day. Glad it worked out for you.

But you were able to upgrade in the park yesterday? I was thinking about you as I waited in the slow line. You had mentioned that you weren't going to go to the ticket booth until later in they day. Glad it worked out for you.
So once I got into the park I was able to upgrade my ticket, online only.

My ticket was linked to another account somehow...so had to fill out some online paper work but in the end got it upgraded and got my magnet from the main street store....but yeah no idea if I would have the key if I waited online like everyone else

As I waited in line for seven hours yesterday, I had the opportunity to chat with many other MK holders. Granted, these are people who took off of work, and pulled their kids out of school, on a Wednesday to go in person. They were mostly locals.

While it isn't like the good old days when you could spontaneously visit the parks, the general consensus was that people had learned how to use the reservation system. They had their cadence of when they visited. Making reservations was annoying but wasn't much of a hinderance.

Most MK holders spoke about making 4-6 reservations weeks in advance, and then canceling as the dates got closer and other things came up. One local person with an Imagine Key said that they reserve M-Th every week (as allowed) and then cancelled for the days that they weren't going to go. Most of the Imagine and Enchant people were going for a few hours after school/work and leaving before fireworks. They are people whose kids have soccer on weekends. They are college students, they work during the day, their kids have homework, etc. They use the park differently than tourists do. They aren't the big bad MK holders that take up precious space in rope dropper's lines. Many older adults spoke about not going on rides at all. Everyone said that if the line for a ride is too long, they skip it and do something else.

Surprisingly, only one person in the 30+ people that I spoke to had ever purchased Genie +. Everyone gathered around as they shared their experience and opinion of whether or not it was worth the extra cost. popcorn::

As I waited in line for seven hours yesterday, I had the opportunity to chat with many other MK holders. Granted, these are people who took off of work, and pulled their kids out of school, on a Wednesday to go in person. They were mostly locals.

While it isn't like the good old days when you could spontaneously visit the parks, the general consensus was that people had learned how to use the reservation system. They had their cadence of when they visited. Making reservations was annoying but wasn't much of a hinderance.

Most MK holders spoke about making 4-6 reservations weeks in advance, and then canceling as the dates got closer and other things came up. One local person with an Imagine Key said that they reserve M-Th every week (as allowed) and then cancelled for the days that they weren't going to go. Most of the Imagine and Enchant people were going for a few hours after school/work and leaving before fireworks. They are people whose kids have soccer on weekends. They are college students, they work during the day, their kids have homework, etc. They use the park differently than tourists do. They aren't the big bad MK holders that take up precious space in rope dropper's lines. Many older adults spoke about not going on rides at all. Everyone said that if the line for a ride is too long, they skip it and do something else.

Surprisingly, only one person in the 30+ people that I spoke to had ever purchased Genie +. Everyone gathered around as they shared their experience and opinion of whether or not it was worth the extra cost. popcorn::
Genie Plus to me is always worth it but I also will be going too much now to get it everytime

I'll grab it on full days and then half days...I'll just do less because the lines seem to really stack in the afternoon

Genie Plus to me is always worth it but I also will be going too much now to get it everytime

I'll grab it on full days and then half days...I'll just do less because the lines seem to really stack in the afternoon
Yeah, like I said, these are people who aren't going for full days. Their priority isn't going on the rides because, if the line is long, they can come back the following day/week.

In my opinion, the exception would be things like the beginning/end of HM or IASW holiday, the opening of Tiana's Palace, or the last days of Splash Mountain.

I’ve only paid for genie+ once at Disneyland and someone paid for it for me the only other time I’ve used it. It was worth it on the day u paid for it since I got there for rope drop and didn’t leave until after fireworks, but that’s not a normal Disneyland visit for me.

I’ve only paid for genie+ once at Disneyland and someone paid for it for me the only other time I’ve used it. It was worth it on the day u paid for it since I got there for rope drop and didn’t leave until after fireworks, but that’s not a normal Disneyland visit for me.
We've paid for G+ a number of times. About half the time it was helpful to get on rides without stress, the other half it was a waste of money. The MK discount makes us feel less foolish for buying it but still sorting out "when" it makes sense to spend the money even though we are comfortable with "how" to use it. We pay for guests to use the ILL lines if they are only here a day (RoR in particular), but personally just skip those rides if the wait is long.

We've paid for G+ a number of times. About half the time it was helpful to get on rides without stress, the other half it was a waste of money. The MK discount makes us feel less foolish for buying it but still sorting out "when" it makes sense to spend the money even though we are comfortable with "how" to use it. We pay for guests to use the ILL lines if they are only here a day (RoR in particular), but personally just skip those rides if the wait is long.
I’ve paid for ILL twice at WDW for tron, which I found worth it since it was to ride at night. I’ve paid for genie+ on average at least 1-2 days on eaxh of my WDW trips this past year. It’s worth it there if you start at MK and plan to park hop.

I have not bought Genie ever. We do have a DAS in our party so that does help. I have bought an ILL twice though - once for Guardians in Epcot since I had a short day there before catching a flight home and had not gotten in via virtual queue and then once for opening day of Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway at DL since I rode it opening weekend 2020 at Hollywood Studios and I wanted to ride it opening weekend at DL.

Due to the brevity of the sales window, my guess is they replenished the void of MKs that didn't renew. I went the last day our Enchant Key was good, for Dec 15. I was surprised how light the crowds were considering it was the last day before the holiday blackout for that level. It was one of the better days we had in the park in a long time.

Congrats to those that got them, now there is a bigger group of MK holders to compete with for reservations.

I was hoping reservations were going away, but the limited sales more than likely indicates they are not.

What ever happened to "Good-To-Go" days? I thought that would've been rolled out in WDW by now and I'm sure there was talk of it coming to DL/DCA as well.

What ever happened to "Good-To-Go" days? I thought that would've been rolled out in WDW by now and I'm sure there was talk of it coming to DL/DCA as well.

It has started in WDW this week. There has never been any talk of that coming to DL/DCA. (Except perhaps wishful thinking on some people's part or confusion by those who didn't realize it only applied to WDW.)

Yeah, like I said, these are people who aren't going for full days. Their priority isn't going on the rides because, if the line is long, they can come back the following day/week.

In my opinion, the exception would be things like the beginning/end of HM or IASW holiday, the opening of Tiana's Palace, or the last days of Splash Mountain.

For me it depends on how long of an average wait there is on slow days, particularly for RotR and Radiator Springs. If either of them are more than an hour on ever the slowest days, like a Tuesday or Wednesday outside of the summer months, Genie+ becomes worth it to me then.

45 minute lines though, I can deal with that, no problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter