Magic Mountain Trip Reports?

travelmel

Blue Banana Vacation Club
I'm looking for a magic moutain TR..we're going in Dec 09 and I haven't been since Nov 95. I'm guessing some stuff has changed. LOL.

Can anybody point me in the direction of a good TR? I've seen great stuff on Disney (obviously.. even one of my own :laughing:), Knott's, Universal, and Legoland but no pic/TR's of MM?? :confused3

The only ones I found are older ones in the sub forum of the Disneyland trip report forum:

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=132 The sticky about "please check your display options" is inaccurate. I have mine set to 'from the beginning' and it only shows 2 pages of TRs for the sub-forum. I'd like to see some MM TRs so if you find any please post them and I'll do the same if I find any. Thanks!

The only ones I found are older ones in the sub forum of the Disneyland trip report forum:

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=132 The sticky about "please check your display options" is inaccurate. I have mine set to 'from the beginning' and it only shows 2 pages of TRs for the sub-forum. I'd like to see some MM TRs so if you find any please post them and I'll do the same if I find any. Thanks!

Thanks for posting this! Well, if I don't find anything else, this gives me a good reason to do my own detailed TR to help out the other needy Dis'ers. :flower3:

I am going tomorrow, so I can give you a little update. I haven't been in a while either. I had Disney passes the past couple of years. Budget and work schedule doesn't allow it this year :(

Well, I will make it short, It is not Disneyland!

Really, they do a nice job of building rides for the most extreme thrill seekers but there is not much for the younger children. My 7 year rode Ninja and thought it was too much for her, we played in Looney Toons land, rode roaring rapids, Log Jammer, Atomic Smasher, Bucaneer, Swashbuckler and the Carousel.

From the start, parking is $15 and the walk in is no where as nice and clean as Disneyland's perfectly manicured entrances. Near the entrance, we went through a metal detector, got wanded and had our bag thoroughly searched. They allowed us to bring in our water and bag of nuts, but not fish crackers or PB&J sandwiches. They went through every single compartment in my backpack too. Once in the park, it was a lot cleaner than outside. We went on Thursday July 9 and it was not crowded at all. For the most part, the CM's or whatever they are called where nice. My wife did ask one where something was and the answer was "I don't know" and they walked off. They had a little character show, that was nice.

We did have fun, it is worth going but it is just not Disneyland.

Well, I will make it short, It is not Disneyland!

Really, they do a nice job of building rides for the most extreme thrill seekers but there is not much for the younger children. My 7 year rode Ninja and thought it was too much for her, we played in Looney Toons land, rode roaring rapids, Log Jammer, Atomic Smasher, Bucaneer, Swashbuckler and the Carousel.

From the start, parking is $15 and the walk in is no where as nice and clean as Disneyland's perfectly manicured entrances. Near the entrance, we went through a metal detector, got wanded and had our bag thoroughly searched. They allowed us to bring in our water and bag of nuts, but not fish crackers or PB&J sandwiches. They went through every single compartment in my backpack too. Once in the park, it was a lot cleaner than outside. We went on Thursday July 9 and it was not crowded at all. For the most part, the CM's or whatever they are called where nice. My wife did ask one where something was and the answer was "I don't know" and they walked off. They had a little character show, that was nice.

We did have fun, it is worth going but it is just not Disneyland.

Thanks for the review! It's good to know that it was not that crowded. Well, good for us who don't like lines but bad for those who are hoping for big profits and are depending on crowds to keep the park open. :guilty:

While it's definitely not DL it is a big draw for the thrill seekers. I'm looking forward to it!

I plan on going in the next few weeks and hope crowds aren't a problem on a Sat. I have been there in years past with huge lines.

A few years ago they started stricter security measures due to gang problems. Seems to have really cleaned up the place and chased the trouble makers away.

No, it's not DL but doesn't try to be either. It has rides you'll never find at DL. While it does have many rides for kids people go there for the huge thrill rides.

I'm taking an 11yr old girl who has been to DL for 6 weekend trips this year. She loves it but is ready for more thrill. She loves California Scream'n, Big Thunder and Space Mountain. I think she could easily handle Ninja, Viper, Colossus or Revolution. If she does well on those maybe Batman, Scream and Riddler. I won't even think about taking her on X2, Goliath, or Tatsu.

My kids 16-22 love Tatsu and X2(me also) but I am not sure folks in the 10-12 age group would enjoy the experience. They are not California Screamin.

:confused3Jack

Is Six Flags even open in December??? For some reason I thought they werent. Maybe with limited hours?

We went at the end of April. I agree with everything the previous poster had mentioned in their mini trip report.

Definitly a different kind of crowd as opposed to Disneyland. Alot of unruly teenagers who thought they ran the place and had no manners at all. Alot of foul language (and Im no prude).

Park was clean and not crowded at all. The worst line we had was at X2 (which we expected) so we hit that 1st, right when the park opened. Needless to say the sign said it was a 45 minute wait...turned out to be almost exactly 2 hours. :eek: I kept reassuring the kids that this was the worst of it and everything else would be easy.

There were several rides where we were asked if we wanted to go twice since there was nobody in line. :confused3

We ended up leaving earlier than anticipated because we overextended ourselves, forgetting how exhausting roller coasters can be. We all had headaches and one person in our party actually vomited ON Goliath. :scared1: The great thing is, she was riding solo at the time and nobody saw her or knew it was her. As soon as she got off the ride, she made a beeline for the exit, where I was waiting for her. They made everyone get off while they hosed it down and everyone cheered. :lmao: Nobody ever knew it was her, but we got a good laugh about it.

I just can't do coasters as much as I used to. I was REALLY impressed with Tatsu!!! That was AMAZING!!!! :thumbsup2

Have a great time!!

Is Six Flags even open in December??? For some reason I thought they werent. Maybe with limited hours?

We went at the end of April. I agree with everything the previous poster had mentioned in their mini trip report.

Definitly a different kind of crowd as opposed to Disneyland. Alot of unruly teenagers who thought they ran the place and had no manners at all. Alot of foul language (and Im no prude).

Park was clean and not crowded at all. The worst line we had was at X2 (which we expected) so we hit that 1st, right when the park opened. Needless to say the sign said it was a 45 minute wait...turned out to be almost exactly 2 hours. :eek: I kept reassuring the kids that this was the worst of it and everything else would be easy.

There were several rides where we were asked if we wanted to go twice since there was nobody in line. :confused3

We ended up leaving earlier than anticipated because we overextended ourselves, forgetting how exhausting roller coasters can be. We all had headaches and one person in our party actually vomited ON Goliath. :scared1: The great thing is, she was riding solo at the time and nobody saw her or knew it was her. As soon as she got off the ride, she made a beeline for the exit, where I was waiting for her. They made everyone get off while they hosed it down and everyone cheered. :lmao: Nobody ever knew it was her, but we got a good laugh about it.

I just can't do coasters as much as I used to. I was REALLY impressed with Tatsu!!! That was AMAZING!!!! :thumbsup2

Have a great time!!

awww.. poor kid! Thanks for the info on the crowds.. I'm assuming you went recently?

I'm 99% sure they're open in December but I will double check the hours, for sure.

I had forgotten about how loud (and headache'y) a roller coaster park can be until you mentioned it just now. We haven't been for awhile! My kids are at DL right now! Bums!

They're definitely open in December - I'm planning a trip there when I visit DLR for a week in December so I've checked the dates.

It's weekends only for a lot of it, though I seem to remember they start opening during the week towards the main holiday season.

I have been reading a ton of reviews about Goliath and there are A LOT of people who report experiencing "near blackouts" or gray outs, etc. I'm not in anyway a chicken little type person (the coaster is falling!) but I am leary of this one..

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/reviews/six_flags_magic_mountain/goliath/accidents/

Also, Goliath's-twin coaster called "Titan" riders report the same black out experiences:

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/reviews/six_flags_over_texas/titan/

Dang... I dunno... I hate to spend money and hurt my self or feel sick all day. It's a great looking coaster..very imposing... but I may end up avoiding it ::confused::

I've experienced the near blackouts that people talk about on Goliath personally. And a couple other of people in our group experienced the same thing (blackouts on the ride, spots in their vision, feeling dizzy after they got off). And all of us are younger people in decent shape who have never had any problems riding roller coasters before...if I had any kind of medical problems this is one I'd avoid. Its probably best that you make this the LAST ride of the day if you want to attempt it.

Goliath caused two of us to be a little bit whoozy as we got off the ride. We're coaster fanatics and loved it but its the only coaster that made as feel a bit sick to our stomachs for awhile after. It's caused by a high speed spiraling sequence near the end. As you turn through the spiral several times the turn tightens increasing the G-Forces along the way.

I've experienced the near blackouts that people talk about on Goliath personally. And a couple other of people in our group experienced the same thing (blackouts on the ride, spots in their vision, feeling dizzy after they got off). And all of us are younger people in decent shape who have never had any problems riding roller coasters before...if I had any kind of medical problems this is one I'd avoid. Its probably best that you make this the LAST ride of the day if you want to attempt it.

Goliath caused two of us to be a little bit whoozy as we got off the ride. We're coaster fanatics and loved it but its the only coaster that made as feel a bit sick to our stomachs for awhile after. It's caused by a high speed spiraling sequence near the end. As you turn through the spiral several times the turn tightens increasing the G-Forces along the way.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm totally bummed about it because it looks like such an amazing coaster! It will be hard to show up at the park and leave that one untouched. *SIGH* But, I don't want to get off with problems and be sorry.. or worse anybody else in our party. Thanks again! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter