Magical Express Ending Service

I hope this comes to bite Disney in the butt. I'm aware it won't, but a girl can dream.

I can't help but feel like they're trying to weed out the devoted fans that don't fit into their desired tax bracket. I need a lot more information for their transportation and/or luggage plans but yikes, this feels like a kick to the teeth.

So I have read the blog several times and still dont see where the bag service is discussed.

The end of the bag service was announced earlier in 2020 prior to WDW reopening. There's no more free bag delivery service available. You have to pick up your own bags at baggage claim.

2021 will be the first time in 11 years that we won't be going to Disney. In 2 weeks we leave for Orlando, but we're spending the week at Universal. My house is filled to the brim with Disney merch and memorabilia and I'm heartbroken. Sorry Disney, my new getaway is Universal.

I can’t remember when Disney first started offering this service as a complimentary addition to on-site reservations, but they haven’t always done it. I would not be surprised if Mears doesn’t create some sort of very similar service where you can make a reservation, for a fee. Since Mears is the one that operates the buses, all of the personnel and infrastructure are in place.

I can see why lots of people are really upset over this. ME is a huge perk and a really nice convenience if you:
  • can't drive
  • are flying in from overseas and prefer NOT to drive
  • are flying in from elsewhere in North America and prefer not to drive
  • use a wheelchair or some other kind of assisted disability device
  • don't want to hassle with arranging your own transportation
There are many business reasons which might have driven WDW & ME to eliminate this service. A negative return-on-investment would be a big reason.

This WILL cause an increased demand in the local Orlando market for Uber, Lyft, taxi cabs, and town car/limo services. If you're employed in the Orlando area in that line of business starting January 2022, you'll probably have an opportunity to make more money. Somebody who wanted to start an airport pick up driving service will probably find a market with a lot of demand and not enough supply at least initially. And the cost per week and per day of rental cars will go up since more people will just rent a car instead.

Will it drive some people away from WDW? Yes. Will it drive everyone away? No.

Will the combo of no more free ME service & only 30 min early entry to theme parks drive some people away? Yes.

What happens when WDW makes a big policy change involving anything? Everybody gets really excited about it. Lots of people will say "I'M NEVER GOING BACK! SCREW YOU, DISNEY!" And then a year or 2 later, they come back because they miss it.

I can’t remember when Disney first started offering this service as a complimentary addition to on-site reservations, but they haven’t always done it. I would not be surprised if Mears doesn’t create some sort of very similar service where you can make a reservation, for a fee. Since Mears is the one that operates the buses, all of the personnel and infrastructure are in place.
Magical Express
Dining plan
Extra magic hours
All came from Disney's need to get people back to Orlando after 9/11

I am losing my enchantment with Disney. I have already reduced my stay for the 50th from 9 days to 4 days and may cancel it altogether. I enjoyed my trip in Dec but it wasn't the same - I chalked it up to the Covid changes. Now, I am not so sure. I too am a single solo female traveler. I go to Disney because I feel safe. ME is part of that safety net, as others have said. I will just have to see I guess.

I am not going to say I won't go. I said I would never drive there after the parking fees were implemented and I ended up driving this last time because of Covid. So never say never they say. But I dont know that I will get another AP or go as frequently as I have been going.

When you get to the airport to fly home. The poster I quoted was whining about not being able to check in at the resort. You can check in ANYWHERE via phones. Some airlines will allow you to pay your baggage fee on the app, then you go to the machines at the airport (or the bag check line) to get the tags and hand them off.
It was really nice to be able to check your bags at the resort. Gave a bit more time and definitely less stress for our last day at the parks. Now it's checking out, store your bags, pick up your bags, load/ unload...check bags at the airport. Whole lotta bag hauling added to our day. All the while juggling small kids and strollers. It's a big deal to some of us.

Disney has removed many of the perks that made a resort stay attractive. Bummer.

Last edited:
I don’t like to drive on vacation. Yes I could but I don’t want to (picture my temper tantrum here) I can drive, I do drive, I don’t like to drive! I have an unactivated AP bought before the last big hike that I was saving for “normal” times but honestly had been thinking before Covid hit I’d better use it sooner rather than later because each trip I have noticed less and less magic. Perhaps I will activate it this May and only have one trip without ME next year in which case I’ll be likely to stay off site anyway with all my banked points from hotels that I couldn’t utilize this past year. Apparently Disney is forcing me to grow up.

The Waldorf Astoria is priced $200 cheaper than the same level room at the Yacht club for the week I am looking at in 2021. (Yes, I know this change won't be implemented until 2022, but the point stands). Plus, we could pay partly with Hilton points converted from airline miles. In the moderate price range, the Swan for that week is also priced about the same as Caribbean Beach, and could also be booked with points/miles. Our Disney trips, if we keep taking them, are about to get much cheaper.

If you're only driving from MCO to the resort, what do you do with your rental then? Pay the parking free and for the rental for the length of your stay?

10 pages here, haven't read them all but has it been covered what might be done in place of ME? Especially for luggage?
Rent from Alamo or National. Drop off your luggage and then return the car to the Dolphin or Car Care Center (they bring you back to your resort) and you literally rent the car for less than 4 hours. Rent to return to airport or Uber. We did this our last trip and had no trouble with it.

The Waldorf Astoria is priced $200 cheaper than the same level room at the Yacht club for the week I am looking at in 2021. (Yes, I know this change won't be implemented until 2022, but the point stands). Plus, we could pay partly with Hilton points converted from airline miles. In the moderate price range, the Swan for that week is also priced about the same as Caribbean Beach, and could also be booked with points/miles. Our Disney trips, if we keep taking them, are about to get much cheaper.
Or rent points from DVC owners. You'll be helping the owner get some cash and it's a "wash" transaction for Disney, as they don't make anything on the accommodations (that they wouldn't have made otherwise).

But yes, to your point, there are MANY better hotels off-site for less money. More room, more options (breakfast included).

Don't worry, you'll still get all the extras because Disney won't give up those sweet deals.

I know the airline desks are closed now but I haven’t seen anything that said that was not returning. Did I miss that announcement.

I don't know how long Mears will run the shuttles on their own. It depends on how many people actually use it. The Disneyland Resort Shuttle which was ran by a 3rd party company shut down last year as not enough people were using it.

I would bet without Magical Express a lot more people will use Mears.

We go to both Disneyland and Disneyworld. I think a big difference is that most people who go to DLR don't stay in the bubble their whole trip. We usually rent a car and we spend 4 nights at DLR and then another 4 nights somewhere else in CA. We usually stay in the Disney bubble for our DLR half of the trip and then move on, but with the beach only 30 minutes away a lot of people will do beach days in the middle of their DLR trip for a break from the parks etc.
Also, we looked into the Disneyland Resort Shuttle for a couple of our trips. Once we were looking from SNA thinking we would just rent a car for the last half of the trip. The other we had been to Hawaii and were flying in to LAX and spending a few days at DLR on the way home. The shuttle times were limited and there were reports of people waiting more than an hour for a bus. If I remember right, the time we looked from LAX not only was there an issue with the bus pick up time, but it was cheaper to rent a car than it was to pay for all of us to ride the shuttle. In 2019, parking at the Disneyland Hotel increased to $25 a night, which makes it harder to justify a car just sitting in the lot. A lot of people stay off property at DLR because there are so many hotels within walking distance of the parks-- I think some of those hotels have free parking.

At WDW, we usually stay 8 nights and most trips we never leave the bubble. If we were to rent a car, it would probably cost around $300 to rent a car for a week in Orlando. We usually stay deluxe so parking is $25 a night--- so there is another $200. So renting a car and parking it would be another $500 on the trip, on top of Disney's outrageous room rates. That $500 is pointless since we typically stay in the Disney bubble and never leave. If we did that and went to that expense for a car, I think I would be compelled to go explore outside of WDW some--- Universal, eat off property- maybe a trip to Charley's steakhouse or Bahama Breeze if they are still there-- haven't been to either one in years. Magical Express has been around at least 15 years. Before that time, since we had to rent a car we would usually leave WDW property. Since Magical Express started, I think we have been to WDW at least 10 times, and we have left property once.

I guess we could rent a car, drive to WDW--- drop it off at WDW the day we arrived and then rent a car at WDW to drive back to the airport-- but that would involve a waste of time between going back and forth from the car rental place to the resort. We hate wasting park time.

The train does not sound like a viable alternative. It will only stop at Disney Springs so we would have to drag our luggage to the train, get off at Disney Springs, drag our luggage off the train, drag luggage to bus stop, wait for a bus etc. Plus, how many times a day are those trains going to run?

Uber/lyft can be a pain for families with small children that are in car seats and a lot of luggage. It can also be hard for disabled people. Also, a lot of families go to WDW in big groups. ME makes it easy.

Mears has said they will continue to provide service. I think their shuttles are round trip $40 per person. Presumably since they own the buses maybe they will have their own service with the buses we are all used to. Of course, that is not going to include the luggage service I'm sure which on its own is a loss.

I know full well that we pay for Magical Express in our room rate. Without Magical Express and preferably the luggage service, what justifies paying more than $600 a night which is their deluxe rack rate? I just looked and a room with a "view" at a deluxe for this fall was coming up at over $700 a night! Not even free parking at those rates. No more extra magic hours (we liked the evening ones). Pretty sure that extra 30 minutes will be pointless and spent trying to weave around all the non resort people waiting for their time to get in, or in the typical Disney "race" to a park's popular ride. I would bet those room rates aren't going down because Magical Express is eliminated even though those rates pay for the service-- in my mind this is a way to recoup Covid losses--- charge the same room rate, but eliminate a major expenditure (which was rolled into the rate) which was a huge perk to the guests. Are they going to offer a lot more room discounts with Magical Express eliminated? Are they going to use the savings to hire back a lot of the great CMS who have been laid off and are hurting right now or to help them? What about all the ME bus drivers and employees? Will they all still have jobs with Mears with Disney suspending the service, or is this just going to put that many more people out of work?

I know they are in a terrible place right now with Disneyland closed for close to a year now and no signs it will re-open any time soon; Disneyworld having been closed for an extensive period; and reduced capacity now with it re-open-- but a little honesty would have gone a long way. The Disney spin of claiming that the elimination of ME is due to vacationers "having more options to choose from for transportation" is garbage. Be honest. Say due to our business interruptions and reductions due to Covid-19 we have made the difficult decision to eliminate ME, as it costs (whatever amount) to operate per year. I understand they always want to paint a rosy perfect picture and we all love the Disney happiness bubble, but sometimes you just need to tell the truth. I would rather see them keep the service, but charge extra for it than eliminate it entirely.

Last edited:
I would bet without Magical Express a lot more people will use Mears.

We go to both Disneyland and Disneyworld. I think a big difference is that most people who go to DLR don't stay in the bubble their whole trip. We usually rent a car and we spend 4 nights at DLR and then another 4 nights somewhere else in CA. We usually stay in the Disney bubble for our DLR half of the trip and then move on, but with the beach only 30 minutes away a lot of people will do beach days in the middle of their DLR trip for a break from the parks etc.
Also, we looked into the Disneyland Resort Shuttle for a couple of our trips. Once we were looking from SNA thinking we would just rent a car for the last half of the trip. The other we had been to Hawaii and were flying in to LAX and spending a few days at DLR on the way home. The shuttle times were limited and there were reports of people waiting more than an hour for a bus. If I remember right, the time we looked from LAX not only was there an issue with the bus pick up time, but it was cheaper to rent a car than it was to pay for all of us to ride the shuttle. In 2019, parking at the Disneyland Hotel increased to $25 a night, which makes it harder to justify a car just sitting in the lot. A lot of people stay off property at DLR because there are so many hotels within walking distance of the parks-- I think some of those hotels have free parking.

At WDW, we usually stay 8 nights and most trips we never leave the bubble. If we were to rent a car, it would probably cost around $300 to rent a car for a week in Orlando. We usually stay deluxe so parking is $25 a night--- so there is another $200. So renting a car and parking it would be another $500 on the trip, on top of Disney's outrageous room rates. That $500 is pointless since we typically stay in the Disney bubble and never leave. If we did that and went to that expense for a car, I think I would be compelled to go explore outside of WDW some--- Universal, eat off property- maybe a trip to Charley's steakhouse or Bahama Breeze if they are still there-- haven't been to either one in years. Magical Express has been around at least 15 years. Before that time, since we had to rent a car we would usually leave WDW property. Since Magical Express started, I think we have been to WDW at least 10 times, and we have left property once.

I guess we could rent a car, drive to WDW--- drop it off at WDW the day we arrived and then rent a car at WDW to drive back to the airport-- but that would involve a waste of time between going back and forth from the car rental place to the resort. We hate wasting park time.

The train does not sound like a viable alternative. It will only stop at Disney Springs so we would have to drag our luggage to the train, get off at Disney Springs, drag our luggage off the train, drag luggage to bus stop, wait for a bus etc. Plus, how many times a day are those trains going to run?

Uber/lyft can be a pain for families with small children that are in car seats and a lot of luggage. It can also be hard for disabled people. Also, a lot of families go to WDW in big groups. ME makes it easy.

Mears has said they will continue to provide service. I think their shuttles are round trip $40 per person. Presumably since they own the buses maybe they will have their own service with the buses we are all used to. Of course, that is not going to include the luggage service I'm sure which on its own is a loss.

I know full well that we pay for Magical Express in our room rate. Without Magical Express and preferably the luggage service, what justifies paying more than $600 a night which is their deluxe rack rate? I just looked and a room with a "view" at a deluxe for this fall was coming up at over $700 a night! Not even free parking at those rates. No more extra magic hours (we liked the evening ones). Pretty sure that extra 30 minutes will be pointless and spent trying to weave around all the non resort people waiting for their time to get in, or in the typical Disney "race" to a park's popular ride. Those room rates aren't going down because Magical Express is eliminated even though those rates pay for the service-- in my mind this is a way to recoup Covid losses--- charge the same room rate, but eliminate a major expenditure (which was rolled into the rate) which was a huge perk to the guests. Are they going to offer a lot more room discounts with Magical Express eliminated? Are they going to use the savings to hire back a lot of the great CMS who have been laid off and are hurting right now or to help them? What about all the ME bus drivers and employees? Will they all still have jobs with Mears?

I know they are in a terrible place right now with Disneyland closed for close to a year now and no signs it will re-open any time soon; Disneyworld having been closed for an extensive period; and reduced capacity now with it re-open-- but a little honesty would have gone a long way. The Disney spin of claiming that the elimination of ME is due to vacationers "having more options to choose from for transportation" is garbage. Be honest. Say due to our business interruptions and reductions due to Covid-19 we have made the difficult decision to eliminate ME, as it costs (whatever amount) to operate per year. I understand they always want to paint a rosy perfect picture and we all love the Disney happiness bubble, but sometimes you just need to tell the truth. I would rather see them keep the service, but charge extra for it than eliminate it entirely.
Well said!

Especially the part about being "compelled" to use your rental car. Of course people will venture off-site if they have a car.

I just emailed Disney, not that it will probably make a difference, but this is very disappointing.

Email sent to Disney:

I just read on All Ears website that you are discontinuing the Magical Express Service in 2022, this is beyond disappointing. We have been to WDW every December from when my son was in first grade thru his senior year of high school and just came back this December after being away for 7 years. We LOVE Disney Magical Express and the convenience and fun of the ride to/from the resort. Yes, I have taken ride shares and town cars to Universal when we have stayed there, but the Magical Express service was a huge onsite perk that was looked forward to once you arrived at the airport. To remove this service from guests and those jobs from employees is extremely disappointing. I am sending this email in hopes this is shared with anyone who cares, mainly upper management that makes this type of financial mistake decision.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter