Magical Express is back to remove Chapek from Disney Property :)

If I remember correctly, the luggage part of the service became impossible due to some TSA changes at the airport. So that most helpful part of the service was going away eventually anyway.
Hmm that's odd. I have been hearing anecdotally that Swan & Dolphin still provides luggage service.

Lots of people have opinions on this topic but doesn't mean they are accurate. A 3rd party handled the luggage which is separate from the operation of the buses. Obviously, that 3rd party had to pass some sort of security clearance to perform the service of handling/storing/shipping luggage. They apparently went out of business. Exactly why they went out of business I have no idea.

I believe Mears continues to offer bus transport for a fee where DME was free to those staying @ Disney.

Lots of people have opinions on this topic but doesn't mean they are accurate. A 3rd party handled the luggage which is separate from the operation of the buses. Obviously, that 3rd party had to pass some sort of security clearance to perform the service of handling/storing/shipping luggage. They apparently went out of business. Exactly why they went out of business I have no idea.
Bags, Inc. still exists.

Now it just need to go to MCO and start delivering guest to their resorts again.

I think what killed magical express is ease of getting uber.
I mean costs nothing and if we take carry-ons we are out of airport and to hotel quicker then with express. Thought I'd miss it last time but no way I saved money and time over stowing bag for $100.
With uber around they be crazy to bring back.
But I think more than Uber the crazy price they charge per bag on flights is what killed ME.

Last edited:
I mean costs nothing and if we take carry-ons we are out of airport and to hotel quicker then with express. Thought I'd miss it last time but no way I saved money and time over stowing bag for $100.
But I think more than Uber the crazy price they charge per bag on flights is what killed ME.
Huh? You weren't required to check bags to use DME.

No but the carryons you kept and handled yourself or at least I always did. So the real advantage as i saw it was if you were checking bags.
If not the only other real advantage free ride to hotel. But it took a while to get boarded and ubers takes much less and you do not need to make sure you make bus departure exactly, and the cost is pretty cheap.

So I think with so fewer people checking bags this made no sense to continue because when it comes to carryons and time it cost you $60 more but you saved easily an hour in time and flexibility.

Now granted what you packed in your carryon changed greatly but again that is dictated by you not using bag checking.

I enjoyed the feel of it, but last trip ubers were pretty entertaining in their own way .

Last edited:
I think rental cars going for under $20 a day didn't help either. I just looked up rentals for next week from MCO and saw some for as low as $8.99 a day. If you're wanting to stop by a grocery store get supplies and go to Universal it easily made up for the inconvenience.

So I thought a lot of things killed Magical Express....here is what I got from a few people at Disney last week...

Chapek and Disney were convinced the Disney high speed rail was a game changer and they could make/save ALL KINDS of money. Then it fell through, so they called Mears to re-implement the same contract. Well, Mears I guess came back wanting to re-negotiate since they held the cards. And that is where we are...both sides waiting for the other to cave....

they really need to bring it back to the airport. We were looking into a possible trip this summer. Getting from the airport is just to difficult. I saw the express used this summer for the cruise line.

Now looking for some other trip.

I assume everyone is now using MEARS and Uber / Lyft? I have a trip booked for next fall, and still really don't know what to do... lol

But ya my family and I have gone on three vacations since our last trip to WDW. It's crazy how many times you can go other places for the cost of one Disney trip anymore. Two trips to Mexico, and a week in Breckenridge, cost the same as one trip to Disney for us. I finally gave in though as my wife went into full fever mode this time.

I assume everyone is now using MEARS and Uber / Lyft? I have a trip booked for next fall, and still really don't know what to do... lol

But ya my family and I have gone on three vacations since our last trip to WDW. It's crazy how many times you can go other places for the cost of one Disney trip anymore. Two trips to Mexico, and a week in Breckenridge, cost the same as one trip to Disney for us. I finally gave in though as my wife went into full fever mode this time.
For us, we will never use a ride share. Especially during a pandemic. Yeah, makes perfect sense to get into a cramped car with a stranger. Gee, what could go wrong there? I value the safety of my family far more than a trip to Disney.

There's a saying that Disney should consider: A cheap man pays twice.

By cutting cost on the ME some customers don't even make the effort to visit. When you do, now that you are forced to drive to the park, take the time to stop by Publix and gather plenty of food and drinks for the resorts. why overpay at the resort.

With young kids, Uber/Lyft isn't possible for us. The discontinuation of Magical Express is old news, but it still burns me!

With young kids, Uber/Lyft isn't possible for us. The discontinuation of Magical Express is old news, but it still burns me!

It burns me as well... I made a dedicated twitter page when it got cancelled, and went on a fruitless crusade to vent.

I am super down about it, I guess we will be booking MEARS. I don't like Uber's as it always seems awkard and there are too many of us anyhow.

I don’t think the majority rent a car instead, they are so expensive. They use Uber/Lyft, which is what I do. Uber/Lyft took away Disney using Magical Express as an onsite trap. After losing billions during the pandemic, it was an expense they could take off the bottom line. They also brought back Minnie Van, which I’m sure has a high profit margin.
I’m just a bit surprised they eliminated it completely instead of continuing the service with a fee. I guess they were afraid of going a bridge too far in the nickel and diming.

It burns me as well... I made a dedicated twitter page when it got cancelled, and went on a fruitless crusade to vent.

I am super down about it, I guess we will be booking MEARS. I don't like Uber's as it always seems awkard and there are too many of us anyhow.

We used Mears for our trip in Sept22. Basically ME without the Disney touches, sadly. Granted, we also were able to do carry on only, so no checked bags to wait for. Overall though, a decent experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter